Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We all know in Star Trek you can play Gilbert and Suolivan with two button presses. How many button presses in The Orville does it take to send a dick pic to a bridge console? Like around ten button presses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People tend to have shortcuts for frequently used computer functions

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Also I'm curious about what was so bad about "One Million Ways to Die in the West." I thought it was really funny and entertaining, but I'd love to find out why I'm wrong.

You really wanna know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gd0ecZLw_A

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

We all know in Star Trek you can play Gilbert and Suolivan with two button presses. How many button presses in The Orville does it take to send a dick pic to a bridge console? Like around ten button presses?

You know, I noticed that too. The little keypad on the arm of his chair had like 6 buttons tops, and it took about 5 keypresses, so yeah, the dick pic must have been in a 'frequently used' folder or something.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Going from a crew member being shot, a mob beating a guy to death, and the beating and torture of another crew member to "lol I'm so awkward in elevators" was way too jarring. And i wish the inquisitor guy had repercussions, last thing we see of him is looking at the stars with a "huh" expression on his face.

If this was star trek, what would've been the correct course of action? Towing the bioship away from the star and otherwise leaving them alone?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If this was star trek, what would've been the correct course of action? Towing the bioship away from the star and otherwise leaving them alone?

Kirk totally would have opened that canopy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
WWKD

Kibayasu posted:

It's a better concept for an episode than "alien zoo,"

I like those because there's always people thinking, "This is retarded, who would do that to obviously sentient beings," when --

-- HUMAN ZOO

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 30, 2017

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Another thing that kind of struck me the wrong way was the helmsman going BOOM. They just killed a ship with presumably a full crew of sentient/sapient beings. Yeah they were justified in doing it but seems like it should've been a little sobering. I don't know if that's more telling of the overall tone of the show, or the conflict between the union and the krills.

Interesting that they had a choice between taking out the enemy weapons or blowing them up, and they went with blowing them up. Picard would've gone for the weapons.

Epicurius posted:

Kirk totally would have opened that canopy

Yeah, you're right.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sisko once used biological weapons just to prove a point...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Sisko once used biological weapons just to prove a point...

Between this and assasinating a Romulan senator, Sisko is objectively the best captain. With the best starship.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Another thing that kind of struck me the wrong way was the helmsman going BOOM. They just killed a ship with presumably a full crew of sentient/sapient beings. Yeah they were justified in doing it but seems like it should've been a little sobering. I don't know if that's more telling of the overall tone of the show, or the conflict between the union and the krills.

Interesting that they had a choice between taking out the enemy weapons or blowing them up, and they went with blowing them up. Picard would've gone for the weapons.

Yeah, you're right.

I think the navigator was saying they had already done a lot of damage to the engines and could take them out before they got blown up themselves, but weren't sure about being able to take out their weapons in time.

What I wonder about the Krill, is if they are a centralized enemy in a known conflict, or if they are just raiders/pirates.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

AbstractNapper posted:

I mean, I half expected most of the society to go bezerk when the starry sky is revealed because it would be scary for someone who has never seen night and at the same time it would shatter their whole belief system.

There's an Isaac Asimov short story that takes place on a planet with multiple suns that only experiences night every several millennia. In the story, a group of scientists discover that every previous civilizational collapse in their history was caused by the darkness and starlight literally driving everyone insane when they see it. The story ends with the scientists looking on in horror as the suns all set and their city burns.

It's called "Nightfall."

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 30, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh yes, that one and "A Pail of Air" are in a chilling, sad area of my brain

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

This was actually very informative and exactly the answers I needed. Thank you. I don't normally watch youtube videos this long (especially when the subject matter is so negative), but this was even-handed and well-presented.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Between this and assasinating a Romulan senator, Sisko is objectively the best captain. With the best starship.

Seriously. The Defiant is a tough little ship.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

Seriously. The Defiant is a tough little ship.
Little?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Family Guy is a garbage fire so big you can see it from space. It's horrifying.

Hitler having painted some decent pictures in his youth doesn't make up for the holocaust.

The Orville: decent pictures doesn't make up for the holocaust

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

You think the composers that make the music for this show are huge Jerry Goldsmith admirers? I am continually impressed with it. The music during the docking scene with the colony ship must have been an homage to TMP/V'Ger.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Frionnel posted:

Isaac is kinda grating to me at the moment because he is basically a simpler version of Data. "i'm a robot who doesn't understand idioms" is his whole character at the moment and we haven't seen any of the legendary racism of his species. I hope he becomes better after his own episode.

That bit worked for me since I do know people who take being called a dick as a compliment.

Kazinsal posted:

Man I am just continuously mindblown by the fact that I am a fan of a Seth MacFarlane show this is insaaaane

I never would've thought it could happen, but here it is. I love this show.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Zaphod42 posted:

The Orville: decent pictures doesn't make up for the holocaust

TV discussion has gotten real

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

This was actually very informative and exactly the answers I needed. Thank you. I don't normally watch youtube videos this long (especially when the subject matter is so negative), but this was even-handed and well-presented.

Yea I thought he did an amazing job explaining the flaws in the film, glad you enjoyed it! :)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Well Manicured Man posted:

There's an Isaac Asimov short story that takes place on a planet with multiple suns that only experiences night every several millennia. In the story, a group of scientists discover that every previous civilizational collapse in their history was caused by the darkness and starlight literally driving everyone insane when they see it. The story ends with the scientists looking on in horror as the suns all set and their city burns.

It's called "Nightfall."

Interesting. Thanks for this, I will check it out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like the bits of humor/lightheartedness sprinkled all over it. No one is as professional and diplomatic as in TNG.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
So even though the last episode exceeded my expectations I still think most of the jokes detract from the show with how jarring yet perfunctory they tend to be. Having a lot of humor would be fine if it was all character based and there was at most one wisecracker (and his or her quips were actually clever) but the way it is now is just Whedonesque where it's half-assed and out of place and puts distance between you and what's happening.

I'm one of the people with a strong prejudice against Seth MacFarlane so I personally believe it'd be fixed if he just had an executive producer role instead of a direct creative one. Yes he's got the right vision for what the show should be, but it sounds like everyone else involved also totally gets optimistic sci-fi so they could handle it without any more than the broadest of guidance from him.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Just realised that with the '16-going-on-17' clip, we've technically got our musical AND Nazi episode.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So even though the last episode exceeded my expectations I still think most of the jokes detract from the show with how jarring yet perfunctory they tend to be. Having a lot of humor would be fine if it was all character based and there was at most one wisecracker (and his or her quips were actually clever) but the way it is now is just Whedonesque where it's half-assed and out of place and puts distance between you and what's happening.

I'm one of the people with a strong prejudice against Seth MacFarlane so I personally believe it'd be fixed if he just had an executive producer role instead of a direct creative one. Yes he's got the right vision for what the show should be, but it sounds like everyone else involved also totally gets optimistic sci-fi so they could handle it without any more than the broadest of guidance from him.

I had this same thought about the elevator bit and the moment of awkward dumb small talk. I can see why they did it: they're going from one dramatic, serious scene to another dramatic, serious scene... so they need something to give the audience a brief moment to take a break from it. While I think it would've been better if they hadn't included the comedy attempt... the show is still supposed to be a comedy sci-fi thing at the end of the day anyway afaik so idk I'm conflicted.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've only seen like 14 minutes total of DS9 but didn't it do a good job with character-based humor? Couldn't they take cues from it?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've only seen like 14 minutes total of DS9 but didn't it do a good job with character-based humor? Couldn't they take cues from it?

I don't think the first four episodes of DS9 were very funny at all.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

I don't think the first four episodes of DS9 were very funny at all.

Bashir talking about frontier medicine and Kira getting pissed was pretty funny.

Bashir trying to hit on Dax and not realizing she was 400 years old, also not bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Oh, Morty.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I feel like this show being able to label itself technically a "comedy" is an asset, because it lets them get away with a lot. They can be as cheesy as they want to be, have some plot holes, drag out old sci-fi tropes, take problematic swipes at controversial social issues... whatever. A lot of people that would usually have problems with these things will give the show a pass because it's flying under the comedy banner. It's a good thing and if done right can give them license to be subversive much in the same way old sci-fi did before it was mainstream.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What I wonder about the Krill, is if they are a centralized enemy in a known conflict, or if they are just raiders/pirates.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. From what we've seen, they look fairly militaristic, so I assumed it was a government. If they're space pirates they definitely have their poo poo together. Now that I think about it, we don't necessarily know if the krill are a species or a faction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well the ones that we saw in the pilot were all the same race.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I assumed from episode 1 that the Krill have some kind of wider organization, since snatching the time-accelerator thing seems like the kind of thing a big organization would do, not a single pirate captain.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22YyheMW-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9tw2mx_gE

yup

ds9 every so often hit it out of park with humor.

as for the episode itself, I keep getting reminded by an old canadian scifi known as starlost.

that is not a bad thing. :D

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Eiba posted:

It's far from perfect. The humor really often fell flat. Being snarky to the security guards was the most tonally "wait, what" moment for me. And things could have stood to be a bit more fleshed out. The theocratic dictatorship just kind of shrugs and evaporates? They built up a really brutal dystopian society and kind of just handwaved the consequences of it.

I am not sure even Star Trek solved a society's problems at the end of every episode. Half the time it was "well good luck, we'll be on our way".The Orville is at least sending Union engineers to educate them so it's not like they're hosed.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Another thing that kind of struck me the wrong way was the helmsman going BOOM. They just killed a ship with presumably a full crew of sentient/sapient beings. Yeah they were justified in doing it but seems like it should've been a little sobering.

Hell no. Yelling BOOM rules

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhveixpV24

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DS9 had a really good line in crew banter. There's more than a few scenes where they're just sitting around drinking coffee before shift start shooting the breeze.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Hell no. Yelling BOOM rules

Yeah, that was a great moment because it was yet another example of the Orville crew's lack of traditional professionalism. It makes it easier for a rube like me to relate to life on an exploratory spacecraft. These folk are all hopped-up adventurers who like to hang out and drink beers together. If they did an episode where they never left the ship and it was all about crew interactions during space flight, I think I'd be a happy viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
An episode where they all decided to take their time off at the same time so they can have a party. "There really should be a regulation against the entire crew taking their vacations days at the same time, but there doesn't seem to be. What's the worst that could happen?"

Only Bortus remains on duty, to avoid his husband and baby. The entire crew gets drunk, and then there's a distress call. They drunk drive ship over there and save the day, but not before causing a major diplomatic incident. The episode ends on a cliffhanger as Ed Mercer is to be court martialed. it's the season finale.

edit: Wil Wheaton shows up and tells Seth MacFarlan "You don't deserve to wear that uniform!"