Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wait wait wait. Is there a medium Janet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Argue posted:

If there was the medium place wouldn't be nearly as boring/awful.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Argue posted:

Yeah, but it's just an Alexa that stays in...

Oh God... What if we're in the medium place?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

If there was the medium place wouldn't be nearly as boring/awful.

It doesn't have to be our Janet. Bad Place Janet exists and is basically just an rear end in a top hat version of Janet; Medium Janet could just be a Janet that never quite gets what you ask for right.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is going to be the year where we get both the best drama to be ever on TV (Twin Peaks S3) and the best comedy on tv (The Good Place), isn't it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm rewatching and in 1.7 Eleanor suggests throwing Tahani under the bus as a plan to get Michael to not retire. The writing on this show is so drat good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I got a friend of mine to check this show out. He said he would check it out on Thursday night. When I talked to him last night, he said "I watched all of it". He mainlined the entire show in 24 hours.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snak posted:

I got a friend of mine to check this show out. He said he would check it out on Thursday night. When I talked to him last night, he said "I watched all of it". He mainlined the entire show in 24 hours.

A good friend.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
After he finished watching the new eps, he said

"When is this show on?",
"thursday," I told him, "yeah we have to wait a whole week for the next episode."
"I hate you".

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wow, what an episode.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I mainlined the first season over the summer, loved it, but didn't realize it had started up again and had two episodes to come back to. The extent that this show races through plot lines that could fill an entire series of another show is incredible, but even more so that it's able to maintain such a level of quality. It's a sitcom plotted like a good prestige drama.

And it's loving hilarious. I'm a sucker for jokes with out of context clips of stories we never get to see (30 Rock had some great cutaway gags with that premise), so the entire montage from the last episode was cracking me up. The entire cast is great, and Kristen Bell in particular is a goddamn treasure. That Steve Austin line had some standout delivery.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 30, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, but it's just an Alexa that stays in...

Oh God... What if we're in the medium place?

Can't be, i can still click on GBS

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Argue posted:

Given that Good Janet is supremely helpful, and Bad Janet is supremely unhelpful (and rather crude), I imagine Medium Janet is only vaguely helpful. Like... she'll do what you ask, but will only put in the minimum amount of effort. And she doesn't come when called, you have to trudge over to where ever she's standing. And she roams around, so you can't just park her in your livingroom. You have to search her out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Right, but you can also click on other things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Given that Good Janet is supremely helpful, and Bad Janet is supremely unhelpful (and rather crude), I imagine Medium Janet is only vaguely helpful. Like... she'll do what you ask, but will only put in the minimum amount of effort. And she doesn't come when called, you have to trudge over to where ever she's standing. And she roams around, so you can't just park her in your livingroom. You have to search her out.
She's Cactus Janet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Like many useful, but mildly irritating voice-activated items, she only responds when you use her name about one in every 5 times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For what it's worth, if we assume that the average length of an attempt is 50 days (some go for over a hundred, others fall apart immediately, and then most common reference seems to be in the mid-forties), then they've been in the "Good Place" over a century at this point. I'm assuming sometime mid-season three there will be an arc where they go back to earth to find it a wasteland where everyone has been killed because of the fake medicine Elanor was peddling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would assume that time in the afterlife is not a 1:1 scale with time in the material Universe though. Because that wouldn't really make much sense.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

precision posted:

I would assume that time in the afterlife is not a 1:1 scale with time in the material Universe though. Because that wouldn't really make much sense.

I imagine from the afterlife you can go to anywhere and anywhen a la A Christmas Carol. I could definitely see them going back to earth at some point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ultimate twist: they're not in the Bad Place, they've been on Earth and alive the whole time, plugged into a VR game that's been taken over by a rogue AI (Michael) that's been torturing them by putting them on a television show.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

precision posted:

Why wouldn't it make sense? The Good Place and the Bad Place are simply places in the universe, same as the sun, the Earth, and the moon. When people die on Earth, they appear in the afterlife.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I really hope that the iteration that they suggested throwing Tahani under the bus was the same one Tahani ended up in the Medium Place with them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth, if we assume that the average length of an attempt is 50 days (some go for over a hundred, others fall apart immediately, and then most common reference seems to be in the mid-forties), then they've been in the "Good Place" over a century at this point. I'm assuming sometime mid-season three there will be an arc where they go back to earth to find it a wasteland where everyone has been killed because of the fake medicine Elanor was peddling.

Where is your math on this. They had like ~109 attempts which is like 15 years at 50 days per.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why wouldn't it make sense? The Good Place and the Bad Place are simply places in the universe, same as the sun, the Earth, and the moon. When people die on Earth, they appear in the afterlife.

Source?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Where is your math on this. They had like ~109 attempts which is like 15 years at 50 days per.

They had over 800 attempts

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jerkface posted:

They were in the 800s by the strike.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Arist posted:

They were in the 800s by the strike.

Oh gently caress haha i only remembered the counter going to 109 thats great

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you really want to go down that road, I'd argue that time moves at different speeds in different parts of the universe. Plus, they might be moving close to light speed which also influences time.

But seriously, it's stupid to argue if eternal afterlife torture happens in real time.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 1, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm running with the idea that season one wasn't even attempt #1 and the entire thing is eternal torture for everyone involved. No one is actually "in charge" because they are all just regular people in Hell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm running with the idea that season one wasn't even attempt #1 and the entire thing is eternal torture for everyone involved. No one is actually "in charge" because they are all just regular people in Hell.

They're definitely not regular people because of Todd the Lava Monster who wears a human suit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TwoPair posted:

They're definitely not regular people because of Todd the Lava Monster who wears a human suit.

I mean, do lava monsters not have souls?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

TwoPair posted:

Janet appears out of thin air and a bunch of other crazy poo poo happens constantly.

Just because he looks like a lava monster doesn't necessarily mean that he is a lava monster.

It could be a case of anything being possible in the "the Good Place" other than escape.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
FINALLY got around to clearing out the ol' DVR last night.

I like that they didn't settle into a "one attempt per episode" format for a second (or even more) episode(s). This did leave room for a fairly gag-heavy episode, and I'm not just talking about the clam chowder fountain. There's a scene where the same spot on Main Street is changed several times, and the restaurants change every time. I like the stick theme, where everything is served on a stick--and one of the places sells a hot dog on a stick on a stick. Lovely.

I also liked the couple of times where Michael was so depressed or careless that he mentioned that this was the bad place where Eleanor could hear him, right at the start of the new version. And the one where Jason figured out that they were in the bad place... I figured it was going to happen, but Michael's reaction was excellent. "This one hurts."

My only complaint is that we didn't get to see how Eleanor and Tahani worked as soulmates; I was reminded of Eleanor's "I might be legit into Tahini!" moment from last season.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 1, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Literally my only nitpick in an otherwise perfect episode of TV is that surely Sean would have checked up on him at some point if it took as long as it seems. Makes me feel like the "Michael is in his own Bad Place" theory could be at least partly correct.

If there was any chance they were doing this they probably wouldn't have made it one of the escape methods.

Edit- apparently I missed some episodes in S1 holy poo poo. Maybe I fell asleep. But that decision torture with ways to write things down is perfect.

"I'm just a girl, towering over a boy..."

"They ran for sixteen years on the BBC. They did nearly thirty episodes!"

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 1, 2017

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Caught up on season 1 and new episodes over the past week, it's nice to have something to look forward to on TV again!

The only reason I put it off for so long is because I thought it was about a bunch of people who thought they were employees in a department store, but were actually in purgatory, and there was a twist at the end where they finally realised they were dead. I guess a Superstore crossover episode isn't impossible...

Penis flattener: more like a wringer or a press?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My friend who doesn't watch this show just told me they wanted to eat almonds but had just read an article about how almond milk is bad for the environment

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

My friend who doesn't watch this show just told me they wanted to eat almonds but had just read an article about how almond milk is bad for the environment

I hope you warned them to take it seriously.

That film on their tongue just isn't worth it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Well you see, the idea came into my head so it must have been put there by God and since God would never lie everything I conceive of must be true.

Time passing "the same" in both sets up possible stories and is something a network audience can wrap their mind around while them existing outside of time and space and being all times at all points OMMMM is not. For example, they could reveal to the quartet that they've been in the Bad Place for so long that everyone they ever knew is dead and we'll also get a scene where they ask about who went where. "Bob went to the Bad Place too?? What about Cheryl!?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Started this show up on a whim last week. It was just blandly pleasant until the end of the first season, but this season is a loving riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I saw this in Old Town Alexandria, VA yesterday and I think there's a convincing argument that it is a Good Place neighborhood

• Locked thread