Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

The dub of shaman king was actually p good iirc

4kids output for Fox was for the most part (Ultraman and One Piece being the two big exceptions). Fox's s&p was always more lax than WB's.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like most of SK's dub being better than average was due to its concept being inherently difficult to carve the stuff that 4Kids typically finds objectionable out of.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The most annoying kind of censorship was with Faust, not the infamous turning the crucifix that he trapped Morty on into a Grave stone thing, that was mostly visual, but explicitly his partner spirit was the ghost of his dead girlfriend, and Nurse who was shot in the head by Faust's enemies at some point before he became a Shaman - visually the skeleton had one distinguishing feature besides her giant Battle Syringe, and that was a prominent hole in her skull where the bullet penetrated - in the dub the hole was painted over, partially spoiling a neat visual and making the skeleton feel less meaningful.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
IIRC They explicitly stated she was shot via sound effect.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BioEnchanted posted:

For some reason I started thinking about two kids shows that I used to like, one a school-based comedy that basically feels like "Scrubs but in a School" called Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. I remember enjoying it because it felt like a live action cartoon with ridiculous sets, like a locker with an entire secret passage in the back wall that a character would use when shoved in his locker. It even had a Wacky Janitor. I remember it being a lot of fun.

When Netflix had all the Nick shows available ~5 years ago, I re-watched all of Ned's Declassified. It actually really holds up (for basically all the reasons you stated). Especially if you're drunk when you watch it.

Christian Serratos (who played Suzy Crabgrass) is Rosita on the Walking Dead nowadays, so that's pretty cool too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ConanThe3rd posted:

IIRC They explicitly stated she was shot via sound effect.

Yeah, the Shaman King dub was ballsy for a 4kids dub, and Faust managed to get by more or less unscathed.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A cartoon to film movie depends on how many kids they get into the theater to see it and this may actually be the moment a hate following becomes a followed business strategy if the Mr Enders types actually buy tickets just to be able to accurately bitch about TTGO in their review of the apparent film. I mean, they're actually putting out a new MLP film so TTGO's plot can instantly lampoon whatever becomes of that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, the Shaman King dub was ballsy for a 4kids dub, and Faust managed to get by more or less unscathed.

To be honest when they're not under anyone's thumb (or they're under a loose one like Fox's) in terms of S&P 4kids could actualy get pretty drat close to the knuckle.
The Pre-WB episodes of Pokemon have a whole bunch of crap that didn't fly on, say, YuGiOh (which was pretty exclusively WB's baby) and TMNT appently had free reign to do whatever the gently caress.

How One Piece got hacked to bits is something of a mystery, they could have gotten away with a lot more than they tried.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's probably partially because you really can't sanitize Shaman King in the same way due to the entire premise being about death and it's aftereffects - don't let people die and half the cast doesn't exist. Hell/Home for Infinite Losers in DBZ was goofy, but it still made sense - hell really was just a vacation spot in that series, noone stayed dead so death may as well not be a thing in that universe.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

How One Piece got hacked to bits is something of a mystery, they could have gotten away with a lot more than they tried.

The bigger mystery is why 4Kids tried to crowbar One Piece into the 6-11 demographic in the first place. If your platform can't tolerate violence of any kind then maybe, just maybe an action series that frequently has on-screen death isn't the way forward.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nobody Dies In One Piece

fake edit: oh you meant in flashbacks lol

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

readingatwork posted:

The bigger mystery is why 4Kids tried to crowbar One Piece into the 6-11 demographic in the first place. If your platform can't tolerate violence of any kind then maybe, just maybe an action series that frequently has on-screen death isn't the way forward.

I thought I heard that One Piece was part of a package deal and that 4Kids was stuck with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, 4Kids was one of several licensors who Toei approached to make test dubs, including Funimation. Toei went with 4Kids.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought I heard that One Piece was part of a package deal and that 4Kids was stuck with it.

Yeah one of their top guys apparently said as much (though gently caress if I'm gonna listen to that whole podcast to find a timestamp).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so I recently caught up on "Milo Murphy's Law" and I've really liked what they're doing with it.

Going in, I thought the show would be very similar to Phineas and Ferb in overall structure; the main characters, basically Milo's gang, have their own adventures stemming from Milo's unluckiness, while the time traveler Cavendish and Cavendish characters have their own story that intersects with both sets of characters either being unaware of each other or obfuscating their presence like Perry did. And for like, the first couple episodes of season one, that's exactly what they do... until Cavendish notices Milo's hazards are always causing his missions to go wrong, and they start actively being aware of each other. By the end of the first half of season 1, they're all familiar with each other, and the two storylines blend together more effortlessly and less formulaic than Phineas and Ferb's "The boys do their thing and Doofenshmirtz do their thing and then both plots cancel each other out". Cavendish and Dakota are free to cause Milo's misfortunes and even get involved, or even do their own thing.

The show is also more serialized than P&F was. There was a lot of call backs and continuity that the previous show paid attention to, but Milo's series has an arc that develops over the season and each episode contributing to it in small ways. It just culminated in an episode where to undo some time travel crisis, the cast has to track down the inventor of time travel in modern times, the so-called "Professor Time", and when they finally locate him they find Heinz Doofenshmirtz.

If you liked Phineas and Ferb, Milo has a lot of the same humor and style of writing, and most episodes rely on the formula of Milo's curse causing a crisis and the cast finding a way to creatively deal with it. But they're aware enough of their previous work that they're not afraid to change things up and subvert expectations. And it's just as smart and creative as the previous show too, with a lot of clever gags and concepts you don't see on kids' shows a lot of the time. It also gets points for a Doctor Who parody that doesn't make me roll my eyes back into my head, which is a plus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MML struck me at first as a show that kinda has trouble finding a central premise, given there isn't too much to the main character personality-wise and escalating shenanigans can't carry everything, but they seem to have done a decent job mixing things up in recent episodes. Learned a bit, I think, from the strictly segregated shenanigans of P&F (because after all, the most interesting episodes were often the ones where things got mixed up together) and worked on how a character with merely bad luck and causing disasters wherever he goes is a pretty fun and flexible plot device. (Oddly enough, Milo's curse seems best analogous to a disability in the way people treat it, from uncomfortable ignorance to acceptance and understanding)

The Doctor Who parody works great because it goes full hog into how weird, goofy and oft impenetrable the show and its fanbase are, as well as the low budget sci-fi shenanigans.

Also rather like that Cavendish and Dakota, well, Dakota specifically, just gets the idea to ask Milo about what the gently caress is going on with him, and they end up becoming friends. Contrast how the other time-travellers end up scaring and antagonising the kids with their transparent lies and attempts at intimidation. A nice lesson on how treating people reasonably is generally the best way to get something done.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

those are some pretty good thoughts, and ones I mostly agree with.

I'm wondering if you've seen the new episodes, particularly The Island of Lost Dakotas. I thought that was a pretty clever, if not somewhat sad episode, in that does a good job of showing how the show subverts and plays with expectations. At first glance, you'd think Dakota'd be the one constantly getting himself killed, due to being the more obvious "slacker-type" of the pair, but him being the one to recognize and constantly save Cavendish from himself is a pretty big twist. It also made me look back on earlier episodes and notice how Dakota was constantly holding Cavendish back from getting into accidents, which was pretty big foreshadowing all along - we've been getting the "fixed" version of events where Cavendish survives the whole time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Something I like about the show is that it'll sometimes take a break from the cartoony physics and shenanigans to make an educational point about real-world science.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, Phineas and Ferb would also do that fairly often.

You know, before going right back to the categorically impossible.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Oh boy, somehow I failed to realize that MML had updates at all after Missing Milo. Sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, they aired a full week of episodes last week.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Yeah one of their top guys apparently said as much (though gently caress if I'm gonna listen to that whole podcast to find a timestamp).

That would explain Doeremi (which got a good dub but was dropped one season in iirc), PreCure (Which went nowhere and got dubbed in Canada somehow) and Ultimate Muscle (which got a way with a lot of poo poo. And urine. Also flatulance. Dub was great too).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ultimate Muscle actually had an extra season ordered specifically by 4kids.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ConanThe3rd posted:

That would explain Doeremi (which got a good dub but was dropped one season in iirc), PreCure (Which went nowhere and got dubbed in Canada somehow) and Ultimate Muscle (which got a way with a lot of poo poo. And urine. Also flatulance. Dub was great too).

Similarly they only brought over Ultraman Tiga for two reasons; 1) it was ridiculously dirt cheap, and 2) so they could explain a 2 second gag in an episode of Kirby

Also I'm still amazed at how badly the ball was dropped with both One Piece and Precure, both should have been huge successes here in the US and instead both got squandered(sure One Piece is popular now, but it could have been that much earlier, and to a larger extent)

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ultimate Muscle actually had an extra season ordered specifically by 4kids.

Same happened with Sonic X

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

Similarly they only brought over Ultraman Tiga for two reasons; 1) it was ridiculously dirt cheap, and 2) so they could explain a 2 second gag in an episode of Kirby

What's this about?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Didn't they commit the worst sin and not have the two best sonic buttrock songs?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

don't forget how Shadow's friend Maria was "taken away" somewhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't they commit the worst sin and not have the two best sonic buttrock songs?

4Kids replaced all the music in Sonic X (as was the case for pretty much every anime dub they did), which included a rendition of Live & Learn that played during the final fight of a story arc based on Sonic Adventure 2.

Though aside from better music and dialogue the Japanese version of Sonic X isn't that much better to be honest. Actually, I think the fact that it was successful in the west is why the show even got finished in the first place (the extra third season wasn't even aired in Japan until years afterward and even then it was only available online).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

don't forget how Shadow's friend Maria was "taken away" somewhere.

So why is Shadow so sad if she's in his realm?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe 4kid's Sonic X is also the origin of "Gotta Go Fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHsOSGJHN0

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
[quote="“drrockso20”" post="“476988753”"]Same happened with Sonic X[/quote]

I believe that was the french team that got that through. Which explains why it was basically Space Battleship Yamatto by way of Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I believe that was the french team that got that through. Which explains why it was basically Space Battleship Yamatto by way of Sonic.

That would also explain why that season premiered in France first (the Japanese voicework was recorded ahead of time but the season itself never actually aired there until it was released online long after it had finished everywhere else).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Has anyone watched the new Magic School Bus show? What did you think of it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got around to catching up with Milo Murphy's Law and love how fragile Brick and Savanna's perfection was. All it takes it to be put in Milo's path on the nut mission that Cavendish and Dakota have abandoned, and the impossibility of saving the pistachios makes them as petty and infighty as Cavendish and Dakota themselves. The difference being - C+D have chemistry, so they can bounce back easily and even though he thinks Cavendish is a pain, Dakota goes out of his way to keep him safe, even abandoning himself on an island countless times to do so. Neither Brick or Savanna would do that if either of them died.

Also with the reveal of Doof as Dr Time, I'm kind of hoping we briefly see Perry in a villain role, as building a time-travel-inator will probably attract OWCA's attention, even though it's on commission.

Sidenote: We're going to the Zoo! We're going to the Zoo! And then we're going to see some A-NI-MALS! :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course the BTTF2 reference town is a 'time travel Bermuda Triangle'.

Cavendish and Dakota also do pretty well because they quickly accept Murphy's Law and even incorporate it into their plans. Dealing with it is all about learning to improvise and bounce back from setbacks, which they're excellent at.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So the original Ben 10 is on right now. That's unexpected. Don't know whether they'll follow suit by airing the original Powerpuff to complete the reboot trifecta.

E: Also, it's reminding me that the biggest sin of the Ben 10 reboot is that it doesn't have any semblance of the original theme.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo! Billy and Mandy: Wrath of the Spider Queen is on next!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I liked about the original Ben 10 was that the main villain of the main arc, Ghostface, was just another alien - Ben didn't just defeat him, he got him. He fought him and went "Get you're DNA all up in this watch mate, I wanna be you!" In the end, there was nothing special about Ghostface. He's just another face in the universe.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I liked about the original Ben 10 was that the main villain of the main arc, Ghostface, was just another alien - Ben didn't just defeat him, he got him. He fought him and went "Get you're DNA all up in this watch mate, I wanna be you!" In the end, there was nothing special about Ghostface. He's just another face in the universe.
I thought Ghostfreak was the villain for just season 3 and that him appearing in the Omnitrix again was a bad thing since it meant he could return at any time.

V Oh yeah, that's right.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's Ghostfreak, not Ghostface