Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Beefstorm posted:

Sure it does. You just delete without sending a cancellation.

No, Outlook 2016 doesn't let you do that. Perhaps you're thinking of older versions of Outlook?

Step 1. Click on recurring meeting once to select it on calendar.
Step 2. Press delete key
This opens the meeting, doesn't delete it
Step 3. Try to close the meeting window without clicking send cancellation

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you create a search in the eDiscovery center that returns the calendar items as a result, then delete them with PowerShell? See the web results for removing a particular email from every mailbox in an organisation and adapt it to suit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Meh the admin is going to delete them all. It's only like 20 meetings, and we restrict how many recurrences they can have and for how long etc.

The guy uses EAS on iOS so I'm blaming that.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

It's not Outlook. The organizer himself deleted the meeting in his calendar without sending out the cancellation, which is possible as long as you are the owner (like when it's your own calendar) and/or have full access permissions. On a resource mailbox this is typically not the case, you only get to add/delete stuff by sending it invitations and cancellations which is impossible once you remove your version of the invite. The admin will likely remove them with the ediscovery thing above or simply by granting himself full access

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Old Binsby posted:

It's not Outlook. The organizer himself deleted the meeting in his calendar without sending out the cancellation, which is possible as long as you are the owner (like when it's your own calendar) and/or have full access permissions.

Outlook 2016 doesn't let you delete without sending cancellation, unless you have different steps to the ones I provided earlier with the screenshot that I could perform. 99% of users including this one don't have full access permission to room resources. Are you suggesting that with Outlook 2016, the workflow I shared earlier is different if you have full access permission to a room resource? I don't think the client checks your permissions to the attendees folders and displays different GUI options before you send anything.

And no, the admin meaning administrative assistant who we give elevated permission to room resource calendars. I am the exchange admin, technically.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 2, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Ranter posted:

Outlook 2016 doesn't let you delete without sending cancellation, unless you have different steps to the ones I provided earlier with the screenshot that I could perform. 99% of users including this one don't have full access permission to room resources. Are you suggesting that with Outlook 2016, the workflow I shared earlier is different if you have full access permission to a room resource? I don't think the client checks your permissions to the attendees folders and displays different GUI options before you send anything.

And no, the admin meaning administrative assistant who we give elevated permission to room resource calendars. I am the exchange admin, technically.

Eh you're right I misremembered. You can't delete a meeting without letting the rest of the invitees know if you're the organizer. The only way you can delete a meeting without letting people know you're doing so is when you're an invitee. I don't think this has changed much over the years

e. what tripped me up is that usually, the room is the invitee and not the organizer so you should be able to throw out the meeting without much hassle as long as you're an admin with full access permissions. You're right that the organizer shouldn't be able to throw out the meeting on his end without letting the room know he cancelled.

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 2, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm having a weird problem with a new exchange environment where gmail-based email sent via thunderbird end up flagged as spam, while email sent through the gmail web interface comes though just fine. Email from yahoo comes though either way. Email sent from my work address comes though just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've recently stood up an Exchange 2016 CU7 environment as follows: mx1 is inside the firewall and runs the mailbox roles. edge1 is in the DMZ and is running the edge transport role. Clearly the setup is okay because some of the email gets through. Route53 hosts my DNS for the domain and is configured with a SRF record like so: "v=spf1 mx -all" where the MX record for the domain points to edge1 (the edge transport server in the dmz.

I feel like there must be a relay issue somewhere, but I don't see where it could be.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Chuck the headers into testconnectivity.microsoft.com and see what comes up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Send an email from the Thunderbird Gmail account to this tool

https://www.port25.com/authentication-checker/

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
Is there some way to get rid of the new gently caress rear end goddamn outlook 2016 account adding wizards to get something that will give me a single loving shred of diagnosic info on why this pile of poo poo doesn't want to connect? I'm sure I could get it to work if I could get to the old account creation wizard where I can type goddamn usernames and loving passwords, but this stupid poo poo is so dumbed down now it's useless.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I managed to get my Outlook issue resolved by creating Autodiscover SRV records in every DNS domain I could at that customer, but still gently caress Microsoft.

I have another fun issue though.

At another one of my customers, I'm trying to install CU7 and the installer is basically acting like AD doesn't exist. It says all roles aren't installed on this server, that I'm not a schema admin or an org manager. It even says that the domain functional level is 2003.

I haven't noticed a single problem with the way this Exchange install is functioning, and I haven't really found anything that indicates my domain is broken at all. I couldn't install CU6, either, but we have an audit coming up before too long.

The only thing out of the ordinary I've done on this was to use iiscrypto to remove old SSL Ciphers (for auditors). I stopped short of disabling TLS1.0, though I've done that on our in-house server with no issues.

Is there something special about the way the Exchange installer talks to AD that works outside of the normal windows DNS client and whatnot?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cheech Marinade posted:

Is there some way to get rid of the new gently caress rear end goddamn outlook 2016 account adding wizards to get something that will give me a single loving shred of diagnosic info on why this pile of poo poo doesn't want to connect? I'm sure I could get it to work if I could get to the old account creation wizard where I can type goddamn usernames and loving passwords, but this stupid poo poo is so dumbed down now it's useless.
1) When Outlook is open and the icon is in the systray next to the clock, hold Ctrl and right-click the Outlook icon, then go to Test Email AutoConfiguration
2) Use one of the tests here https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

Cheech Marinade posted:

I managed to get my Outlook issue resolved by creating Autodiscover SRV records in every DNS domain I could at that customer, but still gently caress Microsoft.

I have another fun issue though.

At another one of my customers, I'm trying to install CU7 and the installer is basically acting like AD doesn't exist. It says all roles aren't installed on this server, that I'm not a schema admin or an org manager. It even says that the domain functional level is 2003.

I haven't noticed a single problem with the way this Exchange install is functioning, and I haven't really found anything that indicates my domain is broken at all. I couldn't install CU6, either, but we have an audit coming up before too long.

The only thing out of the ordinary I've done on this was to use iiscrypto to remove old SSL Ciphers (for auditors). I stopped short of disabling TLS1.0, though I've done that on our in-house server with no issues.

Is there something special about the way the Exchange installer talks to AD that works outside of the normal windows DNS client and whatnot?
CU7 for Exchange 2013? Exchange 2010? Exchange 2016? If it's Exchange 2016, it requires a 2008R2 forest functional level.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also this is better than I thought it would be:

https://diagnostics.outlook.com/

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
You can't test connectivity in outlook because you can't open outlook because there's no account because you have to open outlook to create an account to open outlook to create an account.

I've used testexchangeconnectivity before but I'm assuming that will use internet DNS lookups rather than internal lookups? The issue here was we have two AD domains using this exchange server, and the email addresses don't match either internal AD domain. Because of the trust I created forward lookup zones for the email address domains of the primary domain and secondatry, because if PCs do internet DNS lookups they'll hit the outside IP of the Exchange server instead of the internal IP. I had forgotten to do an Autodiscover SRV record on one of the AD DNS zones for the external domain name. Still, can't say I'm happy with the direction Outlook is headed.

The other one that I can't update to CU7 is currently Exchange 2016 CU5, running on a domain with two 2012R2 DCs, 2012 domain/forest functional level. The initial install was done with CU4 I believe, back in Aprilish? So obviously I wasn't on 2003 functional level when that was done. This was an SBS2008 environment before, so I migrated to 2013, then to 2016.

Since the initial install, I have updated from CU4 to CU5 successfully, but I understand there were some Schema changes in CU6? Or is this a sign that my CU5 install didn't go as well as it appears?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Is there a way to see which activesync devices do not have a passcode on them? get-mobiledevicestatistics seems to only show which policy is applied.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

No S/MIME for 6 months uh

Thanks Microsoft!

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

We're delegating access to accounts (mainly for customer service emails) and I'm using the EWS Java API, but when I connect to Exchange, I can't figure out how to list the accounts I have been granted access to. Maybe there's some terminology I'm unfamiliar with, but as soon as I log in in Outlook all the mailboxes appear, so I assumed it would be easy to find. Is anyone familiar with this, or maybe someone show me an example XML file that I might glean some similarity between it and the SDK?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

alanthecat posted:

We're delegating access to accounts (mainly for customer service emails) and I'm using the EWS Java API, but when I connect to Exchange, I can't figure out how to list the accounts I have been granted access to. Maybe there's some terminology I'm unfamiliar with, but as soon as I log in in Outlook all the mailboxes appear, so I assumed it would be easy to find. Is anyone familiar with this, or maybe someone show me an example XML file that I might glean some similarity between it and the SDK?

Outlook knows who you have full mailbox access or delegate access to from the autodiscover response made when looking up information about your mailbox. You can see the response in the "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" feature of Outlook by performing an autodiscover lookup for your address and checking the XML results for "Alternate Mailbox" properties. Luckily the EWS tool set allows you to perform such a request using the AutodiscoverService class. Basically you construct the autodiscover service and use that to get the user settings, specifically the alternate mailboxes.

Example of doing this in PowerShell:
code:
> Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Web Services\2.2\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll'
> $adService = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeVersion]::Exchange2016)
> $uri=[system.URI] "https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc"
> $adService.Url = $uri
> $creds = Get-Credential
> $adService.Credentials = $creds.GetNetworkCredential()
> $adService.EnableSCPLookup = $false
> $adService.RedirectionUrlValidationCallback = {$true}
> $adService.PreAuthenticate = $true
> $userSettings = new-object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.UserSettingName[] 1
> $userSettings[0] = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.UserSettingName]::AlternateMailboxes
> $adResponse = $adService.GetUserSettings("user@contoso.com" , $userSettings)
> $adResponse.Settings[[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.UserSettingName]::AlternateMailboxes]

Entries
-------
{User1, User2, User3}
Hopefully the java API has fully implemented these features since I'm only seeing stuff related to the ExchangeService class on the getting started guide :ohdear: The code above assumes you're using Exchange Online (O365), if you're not you could replace the atodiscover service URI with your on prem/hosted Exchange environment. If you are looking at an on prem instance it may be easier to do an LDAP query on the user object for the publicDelegatesBL property instead of using EWS. Hope that helps.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Thanks for the reply, especially on the weekend! It's actually Exchange hosted by OVH, but the SDK is generally working. I had tried pretty much what you've said but it's saying there are no AlternateMailboxes

code:
ExchangeService service = new ExchangeService(ExchangeVersion.Exchange2007_SP1);

ExchangeCredentials credentials = new WebCredentials(loginEmailAddress, password);
service.setCredentials(credentials);
service.autodiscoverUrl(loginEmailAddress);

AutodiscoverService autodiscoverService = new AutodiscoverService(service);
autodiscoverService.setCredentials(credentials); // Will Styles
autodiscoverService.setEnableScpLookup(false); // Will Styles
autodiscoverService.setPreAuthenticate(true); // Will Styles

UserSettingName[] userSettingNames = { UserSettingName.AlternateMailboxes };
GetUserSettingsResponse response = autodiscoverService.getUserSettings(loginEmailAddress, userSettingNames);

Map<UserSettingName, Object> settings = response.getSettings();

for (Entry<UserSettingName, Object> entry : settings.entrySet()) {

AlternateMailboxCollection value = (AlternateMailboxCollection) entry.getValue();

System.out.println(entry.getKey().name() + " : " + value.getEntries().size());
}
I can see there's a pause after autodiscoverService.getUserSettings() so it seems to be making a request. Console output is: AlternateMailboxes : 0.

Elsewhere in my code, I'm successfully accessing another mailbox by using the delegated emailed address's address String.

I tried a few times to get it working with your PowerShell code but kept getting 401 errors. Do I replace "https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc" with my own? I tried a few different things there but no joy. I'd like to see it working or returning 0 with PowerShell before I open an issue with OVH or on GitHub.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

alanthecat posted:

I tried a few times to get it working with your PowerShell code but kept getting 401 errors. Do I replace "https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc" with my own? I tried a few different things there but no joy. I'd like to see it working or returning 0 with PowerShell before I open an issue with OVH or on GitHub.

Yes you would replace the URI with the location of your servers autodiscover service, something like https://ex.mail.ovh.net/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc, and the 401 errors would be expected if you were trying to connect to O365 with your current credentials.

Also your code isn't setting RedirectionUrlValidationCallback, not sure if the java api is handling that behind the scenes for you but if it's not you would have problems there as well.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I finally figured out my issue with upgrading my 2016 server to the latest CU. I had made new containers in AD to move machines into so I could try to get rid of all the old SBS garbage in AD. I moved the server back into the "SBS Servers" OU and suddenly it passes prereq checks. I'll probably leave it in that OU until it's decommissioned at this point. I guess the moral of the story as always is "gently caress SBS Forever."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wanted to setup an auto-reply to a recipient in Outlook 2013. We have a vendor that emails us service requests, and we have to reply with something along the lines of 'we accept this request'. Pretty simple. But Outlook will only reply to the same sender once if you're using a rule.

We also forward the message to another email address which parses the info out and creates a ticket, marks the messages as read and moves it to a folder called 'Requests' - that part all works fine.

Is there an Outlook plug-in or something that can do this kind of stuff?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I wanted to setup an auto-reply to a recipient in Outlook 2013. We have a vendor that emails us service requests, and we have to reply with something along the lines of 'we accept this request'. Pretty simple. But Outlook will only reply to the same sender once if you're using a rule.

We also forward the message to another email address which parses the info out and creates a ticket, marks the messages as read and moves it to a folder called 'Requests' - that part all works fine.

Is there an Outlook plug-in or something that can do this kind of stuff?

I'm pretty sure you can use a transport rule, but you should cross your fingers and hope they don't set up something similar on their side. There's a reason why OOO requests only trigger once. If you have a ticketing system in place, is there any good reason you don't just send directly to that and have that send the "request accepted" response?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Need to move from mindshift shared exchange (lol) to o365 + brand new AD domain. Is this the best thing to do:

1. Migrate mailboxes using migrationwiz
2. Link to new domain w adconnect
3. Install exchange server on new domain and link to hybrid

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can use a transport rule, but you should cross your fingers and hope they don't set up something similar on their side. There's a reason why OOO requests only trigger once. If you have a ticketing system in place, is there any good reason you don't just send directly to that and have that send the "request accepted" response?

More tickets than that come in to that address.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Possible to restrict the ability to email a distribution list if it's in the To: field but not when it's BCC: ?

Use case:

employee wants to send cat pictures to all employees.
dont let them put it in the to: field because 20 other people in the company will reply all with their adulation for kitties
no one wants to be the approver for emails sent to all employees dl.

figured it would be magical to allow to send to dl if dl is BCC and so reply-all can't do poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you rewrite the "from" part of the address as it's processed?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Need to move from mindshift shared exchange (lol) to o365 + brand new AD domain. Is this the best thing to do:

1. Migrate mailboxes using migrationwiz
2. Link to new domain w adconnect
3. Install exchange server on new domain and link to hybrid

You should move the content last. First you should get the hybrid running along with your ad to Azure ad linked accounts. It's alot easier to Provision remote Mailboxes through the hybrid than it is to link up all of the source anchors after the fact.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone imported a PST into Outlook instead of attaching it. As it turns out, the mailbox for that PST wasn't theirs, so now they have a bunch of duplicate recurring calendar appointments and mails. Is there a way for me to go through their inbox and remove all of those? Do those get uploaded to Exchange or can I create a new profile in Outlook? I'm thinking I can do a search for mail from or appointments to pstuser@domain.com and delete em, but I've got a bunch of other bullshit to deal with that this isn't a big priority for me right now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The ticketing system can't send the response, you have to send an email from the mailbox that originally gets the ticket and reply to the original email

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

Someone imported a PST into Outlook instead of attaching it. As it turns out, the mailbox for that PST wasn't theirs, so now they have a bunch of duplicate recurring calendar appointments and mails. Is there a way for me to go through their inbox and remove all of those? Do those get uploaded to Exchange or can I create a new profile in Outlook? I'm thinking I can do a search for mail from or appointments to pstuser@domain.com and delete em, but I've got a bunch of other bullshit to deal with that this isn't a big priority for me right now.

Is the creation time on the items something that reflects when they were added to that mailbox, and can you search on that?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I managed to get my emails-going-to-spam issue resolved, which involved creating new Reverse lookup zones in Route 53 following this link and then filling out this form to get Route 53 to use my reverse lookup zones instead of the one autoconfigured for EIPs.

So now email is flowing in and out most satisfyingly.

Which leads me to my next issue: How do I set up a proxy server of some kind to allow access to Outlook Anywhere or Outlook Web Access from anywhere outside of my local network without poking holes directly to my exchange server?

My mailbox server is behind an AWS NAT gateway and I have an edge transport server in a public-facing DMZ. I'd like to build an additional server (the pink/orange one) to act as a proxy for all OWA and OA traffic and forward it to the Mailbox server in my private network.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or tell me why this is dumb?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 30, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unless I am completely misunderstanding your question, what you want is a Client Access Services (CAS) server.

Now can you get me a job with AWS? :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This isn't meant as a :smuggo: moment, but have you looked at

https://aws.amazon.com/quickstart/architecture/exchange/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh come on, it would have been a perfect :smuggo: moment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actually having looked at the document closer it has the inbound traffic NATed straight into the private subnet which isn't quite what was asked for, but there's a reason for that.

This is a good read: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/10/12/the-exchange-2016-preferred-architecture/ as well as https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2009/10/21/dont-put-cas-in-the-perimeter-network/

If you're building this out further as a personal project then this might also be interesting https://docs.aws.amazon.com/quickstart/latest/wap-adfs/architecture.html

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 31, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Unless I am completely misunderstanding your question, what you want is a Client Access Services (CAS) server.

Now can you get me a job with AWS? :v:

Thanks for this. And sure! Send me a CV to my username at gmail and let’s go from there!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually having looked at the document closer it has the inbound traffic NATed straight into the private subnet which isn't quite what was asked for, but there's a reason for that.

This is a good read: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/10/12/the-exchange-2016-preferred-architecture/ as well as https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2009/10/21/dont-put-cas-in-the-perimeter-network/

If you're building this out further as a personal project then this might also be interesting https://docs.aws.amazon.com/quickstart/latest/wap-adfs/architecture.html

This is a personal project, so these links will be good reading. For whatever reason all of my google searches kept turning up cohosting poo poo with exchange 2016 and 2010.

Thanks Ants posted:

This isn't meant as a :smuggo: moment, but have you looked at

https://aws.amazon.com/quickstart/architecture/exchange/

Oh come on, that was a perfect :smug: moment. Funny how I never even considered looking at our own docs!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Oh come on, that was a perfect :smug: moment. Funny how I never even considered looking at our own docs!

The whitepapers are a good resource you know :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have an Exchange Online client with Mimecast. I want Exchange to never move messages to Junk Email folder because Mimecast should be handling that. This is a Mac environment so I cannot do my usual GPO for this.

Users can control this on their own in OWA: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Block-or-allow-junk-email-settings-48c9f6f7-2309-4f95-9a4d-de987e880e46

any way to push this setting globally?