Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mynameisbatman posted:

Oh really? I turned it into a bridge but if that's true then I'm sorry, I assumed it was someone trying to smash my trucks. :smith:

Bridge/tunnel is the better solution regardless :)
But yes, path-based signals work by reserving a path from the signal to the next signal, and if that path reservation includes any level crossings, those level crossings will block until the train has passed, even if it's still far away.

My trains did eat one of your trucks at first, before I changed the signals around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I played the original Transport Tycoon alot when it came out, then TTD, and a few years ago a long spate with OpenTTD. The problem I have is that I now know the most efficient junction design, the most efficient station design and simply cannot run out of money before the timer elapses. Is there any fun left to be gleaned?

EDIT: simply increasing running costs doesn't work, because it just encourages the same principles as above, I've done lots of fashion-TTD with 'accurate' stations, don't particular enjoy road, ship or air transport.

I only started playing the other week for the first time in my life but I find it fun just loving around and drinking beers with goons and making trains. We make island hideouts and particle colliders and try to help each other make bigger cities than other people and all sorts of fun poo poo.

It's pretty fun playing with people and because the maps rotate so often there's always new poo poo to do. Basically the aim is get enough millions to gently caress around and do fun things with other goons.

TL;DR: TRAINS

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2017

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Good news, Mousebottom, Tastybottom and Tanglybottom are now connected.

/CAG Transport

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's much more fun to play together than alone. Self imposed challenges or dumb stuff always spice up the game too.

Try making a fully connected rail network with S-shaped tracks no more than four or five tiles straight.
Make a ridiculously crowded area by founding a factory, sawmill, oil refinery and powerplant in a cluster and just shove stations and trains into it.
A simple one is using only trains to deliver oil from oil rigs. But it's already been done by someone.
Run a postal service with NOTHING except mail deliveries by any kind of vehicle. (you may temporarily run a single road vehicle of the other types for the company points thing)

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Whoever is yellow this map, your trains going to Itchyburg east have nowhere to go. Alas it looks like whatever industry was there has long since disappeared.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found a new strategy!

E: Possibly I did something expensive.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 3, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Think this game is more or less over.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like how the blue eyes makes the person look like they're a Dune spice addict.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Let's make next game hardcore with the SPI (Stock-Piling Industries) mod!
It replaces the entire industry system with more complex systems, where primary industries have fixed production, and secondary industries don't simply have instant production, but build stockpiles of multiple input products and gradually produce output when there is enough input. I'm trying it out a bit in a singleplayer game right now and it seems to have good potential.

Also I don't care how much you loving love steam trains, please turn back on vehicle model expiry, keep the list of available vehicles reasonable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat. As long as making spreadsheets isn't required to use it. :v:

nielsm posted:

Also I don't care how much you loving love steam trains, please turn back on vehicle model expiry, keep the list of available vehicles reasonable.
No it has to be on or you end up not being able to buy anything that can haul freight at all. The problem is all the added junk locomotives no one ever buys because they are all poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm only trying one of the "simplified" settings of SPI right now, but it seems manageable. You can still just make simple coal -> steel mill and ore -> steel mill routes, but if you then haul the metal to a forge you can get "engineering supplies" that can be delivered to the mines and increase their output, or the metal can be taken to a fabrication plant that makes goods, which can then be delivered to cities or other special industries that just act as consumers. (E.g. small cities can have a "petrol station" that really just acts as a consumer of food and goods.)
You can play it simple, but you can also use it as an excuse to make much more elaborate networks.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
New game please.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Is there an option to slow the game speed down? The years go by so quickly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Just like in real life. :smith:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

As far as I know, nope. Although, in singleplayer you can pause, and there is a game setting that allows you to build etc. while paused. That at least gives the impression of things going slower.

And as far as SPI goes, after playing a bit with its "mode 1" reduced form, rather than "mode 3" super-reduced, I should probably say: Don't make the server use it in the full or only slightly-reduced mode, definitely use one of the "mini" reductions that focus on paper, metal, or farming. The metal one is probably best.

Edit: Another suggestion is to enable the Game Script called BusyBee. It doesn't really do anything big, it just gives each company a set of non-binding goals. So it more or less gives you ideas for things to do. (Importantly, it can't make you lose.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 7, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Could we also start before 1950 I know there are some 1900s stuff for OpenTTD.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Hopefully you are resetting at the moment or I may have crashed the server while initiating global warming. Sorry :(

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I jumped in after a few beers, having played this game for like 3 hours 5 years ago, copied the leading company's train designs and I'm already making money. Now to figure out... something else, don't know what yet.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another reminder to re-set your company password, see sincx's post above :)

But this is really no harder than normal, to me, just slightly different. Still a good kind of different.

However please add in the metro rail mod next time we're using 2cc trains, those "monorail" tracks that are actually metro tracks fools everyone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There are no trucks that can carry coffee! :qq:

edit
The new industry stuff is a lot of fun. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 8, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Current status:

14 companies all operating at a profit, room for one more player!

It's interesting how malevich's company (pink) is among the very low valued, i.e. has very low profit, but is still top scoring on the ranking board, while the second-highest valued company (dark blue) has a relatively low ranking, due to the smaller number of stations, vehicles and cargoes used to achieve that value.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Poil posted:

There are no trucks that can carry coffee! :qq:

edit
The new industry stuff is a lot of fun. :toot:

Agreed. These industries are more fun.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes. This is exactly how you build a fishing grounds.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
One thing I found weird is that current rail settings is they currently allow for 90 degree track turns.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trains can only pass through at a crawling pace so they are a bad idea. It's already a pain trying to build in cramped places and making it impossible would just be obnoxious.

nielsm posted:

Yes. This is exactly how you build a fishing grounds.

Have you ever seen fishing grounds being built? How do you know it's not the real way?

Also I hope that thing is far away from the fishing lake I'm running trains through. Just looking at picture that fills me with fatigue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://0x0.st/Crm.jpg :nws:?
Seems to be a success.

I didn't make the landscape art, I just built the hotel!

Poil posted:

Trains can only pass through at a crawling pace so they are a bad idea. It's already a pain trying to build in cramped places and making it impossible would just be obnoxious.
The actual problem is that it causes trains to occasionally move across my junctions in ways I don't want them to.

Poil posted:

Have you ever seen fishing grounds being built? How do you know it's not the real way?

Also I hope that thing is far away from the fishing lake I'm running trains through. Just looking at picture that fills me with fatigue.

It was down by Ibarra, not in your train-infested lake. (But that's where I went and developed the island town into a tourist hell.)

Edit:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 9, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It was me, I drew the dicks

current status:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh I see Poil silently logged in and "fixed" my shutdown of his food factory.

Well, I just had to set up my own trains again to ruin things again.

A perhaps little-known mechanic about cargo distribution: Only the two stations with highest rating will take cargo from a building. So because my two stations both have higher rating for food than Poil's, I get it all and he gets none. Hence a complete shutdown. Sure, he's got trucks delivering little beans to keep it producing, that just means my trains won't run at a complete loss. BWAHAHAHA!

(And this is another reason why it's a good idea to separate input and output as much as possible.)

Edit: Also because of how station rating depends in part on the vehicle top speed, with 255 km/h as the cap, my monorails going 301 km/h will have a forever advantage over the 241 km/h trains. Is this what they call minmaxing?

Edit 2: Kilonum your poo poo is also deadlocked at San Lorenzo Food Corporation, and that one's not my fault!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't be assed to fix that mess. Way too many trains just clogging up everything.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Jesus I just got back from my holiday and this map and industries are so confusing. I'm going to play some single player to practice my train building skillz.

I'm looking at all the online content to try to find cool and interesting things to play with. I wish the ingame content browser had more information available.

EDIT: I just found the view website button woohoo!

Also I want to try single player vs AI's but I'm a bit scared.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 12, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mynameisbatman posted:

Jesus I just got back from my holiday and this map and industries are so confusing. I'm going to play some single player to practice my train building skillz.

I'm looking at all the online content to try to find cool and interesting things to play with. I wish the ingame content browser had more information available.

EDIT: I just found the view website button woohoo!

Also I want to try single player vs AI's but I'm a bit scared.

The original game's AI was a joke, at best an annoyance getting in your way. I assume the AI's written for OTTD are way different and some may actually be a real challenge, but why not? Nobody else has to see how badly you do ;)
Actually, instead of the AI's try looking at the Game Scripts. It's sort of like scenarios, they typically alter a few rules or give you various goals. There is one called BusyBee which just gives you little goals like "transport 300 passengers to Whitefield". They aren't demands, just ideas for things to do, and BusyBee won't make you lose.

Apart from that, my best suggestion is to play a completely vanilla game: Temperate landscape, no mods/NewGRFs at all, starting in 1950, 256x256 or 512x512 map size, and play it for 100 years until the end of 2050 where it gives you a scoreboard.
Try to see how fast you can get your loan paid off in full, and try to get the maximum company rating of 1000. Check the detailed performance rating window to see the full set of conditions:

(Each line item has a tooltip explaining it in more detail. E.g. "stations" only counts stations that actually get visited by vehicles, but it also counts each station type separately, so a bus stop and train station under the same station sign can count as two stations for scoring purposes.)

Try setting up a game with very few or no industries, and instead work on passengers. Try to grow towns with buses and trains, see how big you can get them, and try to build a rail network that can handle all the passengers generated and also keep high station ratings.

Experiment with different lengths and compositions of trains. Look at the stats of the locomotives you buy. Try to predict how well a given locomotive will accelerate with a given length/weight train, how well it will handle hills, and see how different ways of traversing the landscape with grades, curves, bridges, tunnels, and landscape modification affects travel times, network capacity, and construction cost.

I'd say those are some of the core skills for playing Transport Tycoon.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 12, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Score is meaningless, the only purpose is to immediately brag about it over the other people on the server the instant you reach the top. :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Score is meaningless, the only purpose is to immediately brag about it over the other people on the server the instant you reach the top. :v:

What? It's the only true measure of success!!!

But yes the score definitely isn't everything. I'd say it is a decent proxy measure for whether you're "doing it right", but it's still very possible to make a successful and profitable company without getting a high score.

The big challengers will usually always be Vehicles, Stations, Cargo (types), and Min Profit.
You can make a very profitable system with relatively few stations and vehicles, and get full score for Min Profit, but then won't make it for the Stations, Vehicles and Cargo conditions.
If you then begin setting up more services to satisfy those, you will often end up with vehicles that can't make a reliable profit, causing your Min Profit to be stuck to zero or near.

For the longest time, in original/patched TTD, I could never reliably get past the "magical" line of 900 score. And neither of those have all the tools OTTD gives you to figure out where to optimize to improve your score. (So for a very long time I just assumed that 900/"President" was the maximum :( )

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I've actually been playing temperate maps with no GRF's on single player. It's been pretty fun. I'm going to download busybee now though that sounds like a cool idea!

Whoa beereward is the same thing but it gives you money right?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 12, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Subarctic, Alpine smoothest, Swiss town names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Siberia and the Far East Russia + FIRS