Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always thought the Mass Effect's series weakness was the resource gathering / exploration mechanics. Mass Effect 3's planetary scanning "minigame" is such low-effort trash that may as well be a flash game too low-effort for Newgrounds. I never saw the point of getting too mad about the ending when you have warty, ugly trash like that wasting your time inbetween the actual fun gameplay. I mean, there are some real weak side missions (talk to different walls and listen to sound clips!) but even those don't fall into the literal waste of time that planetary scanning is.

I actually liked the ME2 scanning minigame as a vaguely satisfying braindead thing to do between missions until you didn't want to anymore (mainly i just liked the 'Ftooonk' noise a probe made) but i am drawing a complete blank on the ME3 equivalent. Which may prove your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cuphead yearns to destroy me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I actually liked the ME2 scanning minigame as a vaguely satisfying braindead thing to do between missions until you didn't want to anymore (mainly i just liked the 'Ftooonk' noise a probe made) but i am drawing a complete blank on the ME3 equivalent. Which may prove your point.

You flew around a system using the same overhead camera as ME2 but instead of scanning planets you "pinged" the solar system for points of "interest." Pinging too much got Reapers on you and if they caught you before you left the system it was game over.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

You flew around a system using the same overhead camera as ME2 but instead of scanning planets you "pinged" the solar system for points of "interest." Pinging too much got Reapers on you and if they caught you before you left the system it was game over.

i remember that being super lazily executed. it was just "reaper icon touched you G A M E O V E R". that whole game had so many seams.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCZMEwl_K8

only good thing about the me2 minerals

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In ME2, there was also a probing Uranus joke.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Why not?

Like if ads compared Witcher 3 to DAI would anyone actually care (besides the DAI publishers and developers)

I'd care because witcher 3 was a good fun third person game and da:i was a mediocre MMO clone

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/564750/Dimension_Jump/ has the most misleading title banner vs ingame graphics I've seen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'd care because witcher 3 was a good fun third person game and da:i was a mediocre MMO clone

Yes, exactly. Wouldn't you want an advertisement about Witcher 3 to accurately point that it's much better than DAI, which came out around the same time, instead of politely saying "our game sure is nice!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good news everyone, it's a suppository.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Synthbuttrange posted:

Good news everyone, it's a suppository.

What is this, Anna Nicole Smith the game? lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the reason that PUBG was upset was because the advertising for Fortnite specifically compared itself to PUBG by name. That's using someone else's product to advertise your product.

That's 100% legal in America.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turd Herder posted:

What is this, Anna Nicole Smith the game? lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/494230/Hearts_Medicine__Time_to_Heal/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm asking this here because I don't feel like digging up an rear end creed thread. Rogue or Black Flag for my first Assassin's Creed? They seem like they might be fun. Are there any RPGish mechanics? Like say, as much as Horizon: ZD? I know they aren't pure RPG games

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
For the full experience you need to play them all and get really loving burned out on them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm asking this here because I don't feel like digging up an rear end creed thread. Rogue or Black Flag for my first Assassin's Creed? They seem like they might be fun. Are there any RPGish mechanics? Like say, as much as Horizon: ZD? I know they aren't pure RPG games

black flag

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Excuse me, registering here just to self-promote is frowned upon, mister. :mad:

(Also please play and review Darkwood)

Seconding this, I finished it last week and what a great game. I'm going to play it again sometime since the map layout is random.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Install Cuphead on an SSD because dear God are the load times atrocious.

Looking forward to spooky games!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Black Flag rules, I never played Rogue because apparently it's mostly just a reskin of BF but you can't go wrong with BF.

I got burned out on the AssCreed series after the borefest that was 3, but Black Flag actually got me interested in it again because it was so much fun.

Of course then they made Unity..... :shrug:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Black Flag as your first AssyCree just doesn't make sense. You should at least see what the ancient architecture climbing bit was about so you can appreciate how wild Black Flag is differently. Play AC2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh I didn't notice they said it was going to be their first ever AC. Yeah, play 2 first for sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's funny that one of the things that people rag on AC 3 about is an extended time spent tutorializing. It is particularly bad in 3, but AC 2 also suffers from almost four hours of gameplay before the main plot shows up, you're just kind of vaguely after revenge for your family and then around hour five you get dropped somewhat anti-climatically into the rest of the game. It's still worth playing, and the Ezio trilogy in general is still a good story and a good time, but I'd almost recommend Syndicate. It's the most concise, bullshit-less AC game they've put out, it shows a lot of what they learned in that ten year cycle of a game nearly every year, and it has almost none of the worst parts of the other AC games in it.

Ultimately the real answer is pick whatever time period or game mechanics most interest you, (maaaaybe don't pick 3) because the reality is that Assasssin's Creed is historical murder tourism and the whole Templar/Assassins thing is so inimical to the experience at so many points that it almost doesn't matter.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 1, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

No, definitely don't pick 3.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The only correct Assassin's Creed to play is Dishonoured.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brotherhood is the best of the Ezio Creeds, then Black Flag. I started Syndicate a while back and then immediately forgot about it. Whoops!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Play AC2 first and experience the whole Ezio trilogy to see what the fuss is about. Plus that Jesper Kyd soundtrack :swoon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only AC I've ever played is Black Flag, and I never once felt like I was missing out for not following the series from the beginning because the whole templar/assassin plot was merely a very dull backdrop for jumping rooftops and pirating. The people recommending this poor dude who just wants to play a pirate game to suffer through 60+ hours of Ezio should be arrested for cruelty.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Ezio Auditore is a very fun character, and seeing him ascend from some dumb guido getting his face smashed by a rock into a Master Assassin is pretty awesome.

I have no clue how well the AC2 games hold up but I don't regret them.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Nthing this, I played from 1 through Black Flag before burning out (I really ought to give BF another go though, I got about halfway through it), and the Ezio trilogy was by far my favorite part of the series. Play it if you want to experience the real, original (and still good) Assassin's Creed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nobody actually answered his questions, including my dumb rear end, past the first couple answers. Here's an attempt;

Black Flag - Set in the Caribbean during the Hollywood interpretation of the Golden Age of piracy, you play Edward Kenway and go around stabbing dudes and meeting basically every notable pirate most people have heard of. The Templar/Assassins stuff intrudes irregularly into the piracy show and is fairly middling as video game stories go. Your land time is mostly spent in jungles and less vertically minded island towns. The boat stuff is great but does tend to be the same sort of thing often enough.

Rogue - Set alternately in the North Atlantic Ocean, a fairly open sailing area and the Hudson River Valley, a cramped somewhat winding valley waterway, you play Shay McCormac, a fairly unlikable Irish Assassin. The Templar/Assasin stuff is the main focus of the game, though you're always free to gently caress off and ignore it for the most part. The boat stuff sees improvements, mostly in the realm of variety in enemy types and the occasional surprise encounter. Land time is spent either in the American colonies in low rise towns or various vaguely Tomb Raider-y environmental explorations in the Atlantic.

RPG mechanics - Your resources are money, pelts and cargo. Money buys cosmetic changes, PC weapon upgrades and ship upgrades. These are generally more damage or abilities for PC and ship. You get money from nearly everything you do. Pelts go into PC upgrades and occasionally ship upgrades, things like holsters for more pistols, more armor (health) and various other power increases. You get pelts from hunting animals in wilderness areas. Cargo is used for ship upgrades and occasionally mission requirements. You get cargo from disabiling and boarding ships, you get more if you do this than you do for destroying them outright.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the minigame in Black Flag where you could build a pirate fleet and send them out to trade and/or raid other ships. I enjoy it when games have little timed quests that automate some aspect of resource gathering for you, even if it's ultimately unimportant.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Azran posted:

How's Redout if I Rollcage Stage II was my favorite racing game on the PS1?

redout is mighty good, but you might be more interested in GRIP, if you were unaware of it's existence!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396900/GRIP/

it's a modern version of rollcage which had a couple of the devs from the original on board.

Gromit posted:

I've no idea, but I loved Rollcage and I hope that Grip is good too as it looks exactly the same. Redout looks a lot more like Wipeout.

it *is* good. totally worth buying.

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 1, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

exquisite tea posted:

The only AC I've ever played is Black Flag, and I never once felt like I was missing out for not following the series from the beginning because the whole templar/assassin plot was merely a very dull backdrop for jumping rooftops and pirating. The people recommending this poor dude who just wants to play a pirate game to suffer through 60+ hours of Ezio should be arrested for cruelty.

That's because by Black Flag, they had given up on the Templar/Assassin backstory and descended into outright parody. You literally play a QA Tester for Ubisoft in Black Flag.

AC2 is the high point for the Assassins Creed backstory (the ending of the first AC2 is brilliant) before they left it on a cliffhanger and said gently caress it let's just ruin it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm really enjoying INFRA. I'm about 13 hours in and just started Act 3 of 3 (I'm pretty thorough though in exploring and "fully" solving all puzzles).

It's Urban Exploration Simulator with a dash of Myst and some story on top. The "take pictures of damage" OSHA aspect is very undercooked IMO, they seem to act like collectibles but there's no menu where you can check completion or even see these photos again. Most of the game is about traversing the environments by interacting with machinery, levers, buttons, stacking boxes, climbing and so on. There often seems to be more than one solution to progressing, and since most of the time you only have to interact with machinery up to a point where it allows you to move on and fully fixing it is an optional goal the whole thing has a somewhat free-form feel to it, where several times I wasn't sure if I found the "intended" solution, which is a plus in my book.

The story is conveyed through documents and the odd audio log (these seem out of place), it started out as a somewhat grounded plot about corruption and economic decay but just recently developed more of a grand conspiracy angle that I'm afraid will turn out pretty cliché. The voice acting of the main character is quite bad but luckily it's mostly relegated to the odd quip here and there, like everytime he photographs a document - no matter how mundane or outlandish its contents - all he ever has to say about it is "Fascinating" or "Interesting" in the same flat tone.

Graphically it looks like Half-Life 2 (it's a source engine game and apparently started out as a mod), or rather how Half-Life 2 looks in my memory. It might well be a bit better, but it certainly is not up to par with the times technologically. It doesn't bother me though, it's well done within its limitations. It's also pretty long, in fact there might be one or two parts that could have used some trimming.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GhostDog posted:

I'm really enjoying INFRA.
It also seems to have some variations in the dialogue depending on what you do, but I'm not sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I had no idea Grip existed. Thanks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

People talking about AssCreed got me thinking. It's kind of weird how one of my big complaints about AC3 was the complete lack of vertical climbing outside some tall trees but Black Flag has basically the same design and I barely noticed. Makes me wonder how much I actually enjoyed it in the first place. Maybe it was the just the spectacle instead of the minor puzzle solving you had to do on your way up and when AC3 just had a subpar AC plot attached to no interesting buildings it ruined everything.

What I'm saying is that distracting me with boats and free diving (which are bits I think are also really good) was the best thing AC ever did.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold

When you break horror games down, they tend to fit into a few convenient categories. Sometimes there are real monsters to fear, sometimes you end up in their domain, sometimes you're struggling to stop them from running amok, and sometimes they're all in your head. I'm not going to spoil Stories Untold by indicating which road it travels, but I have to be honest that it's my least favorite one. And if it didn't do everything else so very, very well that might be a dealbreaker for me. Luckily, it still manages to be exceptional in every way except its story. Ironic, isn't it?

Stories Untold is a collection of four horror-themed vignettes built around interacting with old 1980s-era technology. The first, The House Abandon, is an old 80s-style text adventure played on an ancient, boxy computer. The second is set in a science lab with plenty of clicky, chunky audio/visual equipment to play with. The third is at a polar listening station where you must transmit coded radio messages. And the fourth vignette ties it all together very effectively. Each one works a creeping unease into your activities in different and clever ways, often by toying with your perspective as you mess with antiquated interfaces.

The real hook of Stories Untold is how you play it. Not content to simply give everything a thick 80s sheen of fake wood paneling and cathode ray tubes, your primary means of interacting with the game is via text parser. Not only that, but the computers you enter your text commands on are distinct entities within the game world. In The House Abandon, for example, you're playing through a text adventure on an old Commodore-style terminal. Instead of just showing the screen, the monitor, keyboard, desk, and seemingly extraneous details like pictures and clocks are all modeled around it.

These elements are not actually extraneous, of course, because the way this game gets you is in how your text parsing adventures affect everything around them. Your commands are obviously going to have different effects between a text adventure, scientific equipment, and code transmitters, but the story also unfolds around you as you go through the motions of your tasks. There are further forms of interaction as well which are used to great effect, and can inspire surprising amounts of dread in how they diverge from your safe typing up to that point.

As effective as the moments are in Stories Unknown, I would be remiss not to clarify that they are inconsistent in their pacing and effectiveness. The House Abandon is an incredibly strong starter and sets the tone for the game perfectly, but the scares trail off a bit from there. The second chapter lost steam for me pretty quickly, and while the third has an excellent buildup, the payoff was weaker than I expected. This is less a function of how the scares are planned and executed and more how they tie into the overall story, which for me detracted from everything that was going on.

Mechanically the game is perfectly sound, and for a text parser I found the term recognition mostly adequate. You're not going to have a ton of options at any point, so the game is mostly figuring out what command you need to enter to proceed. The third chapter in particular has you following a lot of coding instructions that feel like a play on how linear the actual gameplay is. Still, it forms a natural puzzle system where you can divine the next line to enter based on a little experimentation and observation. I only got stuck on one line at the very end of the game, only because the parser wanted me to specify the contents of a bottle instead of the bottle itself. Overly picky, but certainly not a dealbreaker.

The only potential dealbreaker is the story, and I wish I could expand on it for your benefit but it really is best experienced for yourself. That's really where I'd put Stories Untold, as a game that's worth experiencing so long as you're prepared for what may or may not come in the end. As much as I dislike the story I adored the retro aesthetic and the tactile pleasure of hearing keys clicking as I typed into the terminals. Obviously if the story lands in the right spot for you this is an excellent buy, but even if it doesn't this is a fine take on a dormant genre that proves text parsing can still carry a game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even outside the bickering about whether Bluehole this or Epic that, it also kinda sucks for the people who care about Fortnite who now feel like Epic is shorting them while they go for the cash grab.

Also as I understand it, you can't even play Fortnite yet without buying in via a Founder's Pack thing (because the game is still technically in beta, I think?), whereas the battle royale mode is already fully F2P open beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the minigame in Black Flag where you could build a pirate fleet and send them out to trade and/or raid other ships. I enjoy it when games have little timed quests that automate some aspect of resource gathering for you, even if it's ultimately unimportant.

It is mind numbingly slow. Like a good fifteen minutes to manage a full fleet. One of the worst mini games ever and serves absolutely no point. I played so much of it. I lost sleep because of it.