Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm asking this here because I don't feel like digging up an rear end creed thread. Rogue or Black Flag for my first Assassin's Creed? They seem like they might be fun. Are there any RPGish mechanics? Like say, as much as Horizon: ZD? I know they aren't pure RPG games
100% Black Flag. And if you end wanting more Black Flag, play Freedom Cry. Just... don't touch Rogue, it's a bad story even by rear end Creed standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Don't all the asscreed games have unskippable cutscenes? Or are there some that don't?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Xander77 posted:

100% Black Flag. And if you end wanting more Black Flag, play Freedom Cry. Just... don't touch Rogue, it's a bad story even by rear end Creed standards.

Grenade launcher though

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
adventure_games.jpg

(Secret Files: Tunguska)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

Nah, it's a fine story just with laughably bad voice work, I also honestly preferred the world in Rogue far more over AC4's.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if your roomate was an adventure game protagonist and locked themselves out youd wake up to find an improvised explosive hooked up to the circuit breaker and the mailbox converted into a makeshift catapult

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Too Shy Guy posted:

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold

The real draw to this game is the way the stories are told. Even if you think the overall narrative is poor, the way it was put together is still very well done.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The worst thing about the Fortnite/PUBG slapfight is that the Fortnite mode was developed by the Unreal Tournament team. Yeah, the same Unreal Tournament that's sat unfinished and largely untextured since 2014.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Eldred posted:

I thought I heard Death of the Outsider was supposed to be a send-off to the series? I haven't actually played it yet so take that with a grain of salt.

I know it was pages ago...

The levels are the best they've ever been.

But for a "world-changing" event (whether you go the violent or peaceful route), there is very little payoff. Actually, no payoff. Its a terrible send off to the setting and characters if its the last one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They've said that it's the end of the story arc that's played out over the series so far, and if they do another one they'll be experimenting a bit.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

[b]:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold

It's definitely worth checking out as an example of how inventive the presentation can be, but the story was ultimately a letdown. It wasn't even bad or inconsistent, it just doesn't live up to the expectations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Itching to play a terraria like rpg . Was thinking of picking up Crea
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280520/Crea/

I already have starbound but im open for any other suggestions .

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
has anyone bothered with trying to decipher the Cryptum ores in steamworld dig 2?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Turd Herder posted:

Itching to play a terraria like rpg . Was thinking of picking up Crea
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280520/Crea/

I already have starbound but im open for any other suggestions .

there are these i two mention occasionally:

Darkout - $14.99 - a terraria-alike with enemies that are weak to bright lights (wait for a sale though, imo)
Asteria - $4.99 - terraria-alike where each tier of tech is earned through a unique map and boss fight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

has anyone bothered with trying to decipher the Cryptum ores in steamworld dig 2?

What are those?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Zetsubou-san posted:

there are these i two mention occasionally:

Darkout - $14.99 - a terraria-alike with enemies that are weak to bright lights (wait for a sale though, imo)
Asteria - $4.99 - terraria-alike where each tier of tech is earned through a unique map and boss fight

Un related but what about Project Zomboid?

It looks fun but i'd like a goons to play with.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

i have no idea about zomboid so I can't help you there

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Neoö Chrome : HEWKQ-MP3WT-ZF!4J

Oxenfree (4th letter of the alphabet): +WPH0-5J75Q-A8B2M

Beat _inorities Cop : 8XBI6-6CC9Z-Þ452Þ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

funkmeister posted:

Hey, thanks!

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Turd Herder posted:

Un related but what about Project Zomboid?

It looks fun but i'd like a goons to play with.

I bailed super early on it when the dev's laptops they used to code the game were stolen, and they didn't think to make back-ups of all the code elsewhere.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Too Shy Guy posted:

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold

Weird. I just played this last night and wasn't particularly impressed with it outside of the 1st episode and i just quit halfway through the 3rd episode and just watched some girls Youtube play through to see what happens.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Stokes posted:

I bailed super early on it when the dev's laptops they used to code the game were stolen, and they didn't think to make back-ups of all the code elsewhere.

Why would anyone making a game not back it up in like 20 different places.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

strategery posted:

Sometimes, game developers are stupid. Other times, people will actually believe the dog ate your homework, so it's worth trying as an excuse.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

strategery posted:

Devs are stupid.

... So are writers, in a related issue. I wrote up a whole NaNoWriMo once and the only copy of it was in a .txt file on my laptop. It took me a few tries at the event to both break 50k and learn to back it up by emailing it to myself and sticking it on gdocs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Really Pants posted:

What are those?

there's a later area in the game with five ores that have unique descriptions that look like gibberish, but could conceivably be part of a coded message. i wouldn't notice or care, except that they're specifically called cryptums, which makes me think there probably is something going on there.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Every October I wish there was something I could do to find horror games (and films) properly scary again. Alien:Isolation creeped me out a few times but aside from that nothing has really scared me for years now. I think Silent Hill 2 was the last game that really got to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

il_cornuto posted:

Every October I wish there was something I could do to find horror games (and films) properly scary again. Alien:Isolation creeped me out a few times but aside from that nothing has really scared me for years now. I think Silent Hill 2 was the last game that really got to me.

Smoke lots of weed before playing a scary game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Turn off the lights, put on headphones, be alone in the house, and watch some movies like Jacob's Ladder before you begin to play, to be in the right mood. Horror only really works if you're in the right frame of mind for it.

...Mind you I'm a super-weenie who will get scared at anything, so just watching a clip of Jacob's Ladder in broad daylight spooked me pretty bad, so, uh.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

funkmeister posted:

Neoö Chrome : HEWKQ-MP3WT-ZF!4J

Beat _inorities Cop : 8XBI6-6CC9Z-Þ452Þ

Thanks for posting a neon chrome key. Some rear end in a top hat took it without saying thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

Smoke lots of weed before playing a scary game.

spoken like someone who doesn't smoke weed while playing games, half the time i'm too high to realize something is scary and the other half of the time i'm too busy lighting up

play them sober, with good headphones, alone in the dark

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Jacob's Ladder is still the scariest movie I've ever seen. It reminds me of how merciful most horror films tend to be to their audiences, because you can mostly tell when the characters are safe and when they're in danger. No scene feels safe in Jacob's Ladder, the mundane can give way to the nightmarish in seconds, and there's a persistent aura of dread that permeates the whole runtime. There's one scene Elizabeth Pena's character says something like "Anybody there? Anybody home?" and for a split second her expression becomes downright demonic, but because it's over so fast you're not even sure what you saw. The entire movie is like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always feel like I should play some spooky games for October but the timing never works out right. For instance right now I'm doing a Saints Row series replay and I'm debating if I want to pick up Agents of Mayhem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

Echo isn't really a horror game, but it's the only other stealth game I've played that matches Isolation for creepy and threatening enemies

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think Jacob's Ladder is still the scariest movie I've ever seen. It reminds me of how merciful most horror films tend to be to their audiences, because you can mostly tell when the characters are safe and when they're in danger. No scene feels safe in Jacob's Ladder, the mundane can give way to the nightmarish in seconds, and there's a persistent aura of dread that permeates the whole runtime. There's one scene Elizabeth Pena's character says something like "Anybody there? Anybody home?" and for a split second her expression becomes downright demonic, but because it's over so fast you're not even sure what you saw. The entire movie is like that.

Yeah. Yeah. I was a genius who tried to watch the whole thing in one go at 3AM one lovely morning, and despite having the lights on and being surrounded by cats, I made it as far as the subway scene before I was out. It's just really freaking unsettling to watch, in that good horror way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John Murdoch posted:

I always feel like I should play some spooky games for October but the timing never works out right. For instance right now I'm doing a Saints Row series replay and I'm debating if I want to pick up Agents of Mayhem.

iirc the number one rule for whether or not you should pick up agents mayhem is this:

"do you want more saints row y/n"
y: do not buy agents of mayhem
n: maybe buy agents of mayhem

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

exquisite tea posted:

I wish I could agree, just so this doesn't come across as me being internet contrarian, but Jacob's Ladder just bores the poo poo out of me. Lot's of people love it, so I guess it just doesn't gel with what I enjoy. Which is weird, because I love films that have little surreal bits in them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turn off the lights, put on headphones, be alone in the house, and watch some movies like Jacob's Ladder before you begin to play, to be in the right mood. Horror only really works if you're in the right frame of mind for it.

I always turn off lights and use headphones for horror games anyway, but making a night of it might work. I do still enjoy horror stuff anyway, it just doesn't scare me like it used to. But maybe that's become self fulfilling, since I usually assume nothing will scare me now. I've got Outlast and the Penumbra trilogy to play through, I'll see if really committing to being scared works.

I'll also take a look at Echo and finally get around to watching Jacob's Ladder like people have been telling me to for years.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So Has Been Heroes (highest tier in the latest humble bundle) is awesome. It is a roguelite fighting game that is basically a puzzle game? It feels more like chess than rpg fighting. I'm really enjouing it.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

iirc the number one rule for whether or not you should pick up agents mayhem is this:

"do you want more saints row y/n"
y: do not buy agents of mayhem
n: maybe buy agents of mayhem

What if I want a successor to Red Faction Guerilla??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you must look within your heart to find the answer