Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

raditts posted:

I saw this in Old Town Alexandria, VA yesterday and I think there's a convincing argument that it is a Good Place neighborhood

It combines Michael's love of food puns with Eleanor's love of Stone Cold Steve Austin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I have caught up with this. If I didn't miss it for some ADHD riddled reason, I'm curious as to why no one addressed whether the lady in the medium place is actually a human or not, and if she is, why no one seems to acknowledge her existence, given she doesn't get memory wiped.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
She doesn't get her memory whiped because Michael has no jurisdiction there. I'm sure if Michael could, he would.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was addressed by the fact that it's not reset. Mindy is real.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

She doesn't get her memory whiped because Michael has no jurisdiction there. I'm sure if Michael could, he would.

Yeah, but I'm surprised that also wants part of the simulation. Her turning out to be real and Michael's lack of jurisdiction there wasn't clarified until this episode. In which case... how did she get there? If this "Good Place" was created for the simulation then how is she there? Does the train go to heaven, hell and that place too?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Did you not watch season 1, or just not pay attention?

Also... What?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, but I'm surprised that also wants part of the simulation. Her turning out to be real and Michael's lack of jurisdiction there wasn't clarified until this episode. In which case... how did she get there? If this "Good Place" was created for the simulation then how is she there? Does the train go to heaven, hell and that place too?

I mean yes? I'm not sure how this is confusing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The most surprising thing about the medium place being real is that the one person who qualified for being in it seems like prime bad place material. She's way less ambiguous of a case than Chidi.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mindy accomplished something. Chidi didn't, regardless of his reasons or whether they're justifiable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

The most surprising thing about the medium place being real is that the one person who qualified for being in it seems like prime bad place material. She's way less ambiguous of a case than Chidi.

Mindy did something that put an absolutely massive amount of good into the world. That's the whole reason her case was so contentious.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

[quote="“Regy Rusty”" post="“476956046”"]
Mindy did something that put an absolutely massive amount of good into the world. That’s the whole reason her case was so contentious.
[/quote]

They left her all alone with no cocaine! She's totes in a Bad Place!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Specifically, it was that she was either clearly-in or clearly-out of the Good/Bad place depending on whether she was allowed to accrue points after she died (it wasn't that she came it with a borderline number of points). Since it couldn't be decided, they instead made a new place for her.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think when they inevitably take Michael to the Medium Place, they're going to make him come up with some cocaine and Mindy will finally be happy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Mindy did something that put an absolutely massive amount of good into the world. That's the whole reason her case was so contentious.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

So the Canadian kid on mushrooms deduced the Good Place, and Mindy figured out how to solve the world's ills while blasted on coke...the central message of the Good Place is...drugs are good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't Mindy just ask Janet for cocaine? Did they already establish that she doesn't work the same in the Medium Place?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that Janet has any powers in the medium place. I feel like Janet's powers are more of an interface. Like, Janet has access to the neighborhood's infrastructure and so she can provide things. But the medium place either doesn't have the same infrastructure, or Janet doesn't have the credentials to access it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Why doesn't Mindy just ask Janet for cocaine? Did they already establish that she doesn't work the same in the Medium Place?

They did establish that last season.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

They did establish that last season.

Literally saw that scene today. I must have been half asleep for the last 4 episodes but they were so much fun to rewatch. Everything about how Jason died is perfect.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I always LOL when I see Doug’s picture because that’s Noah Garfinkel. He’s been a writer on New Girl the last few seasons. Why he’s there is likely because he’s really good buds w Joe Mande aka Todd the Lava Monster aka Morris. Joe’s got a really funny story about seeing a Huckabee Live taping w Noah while on edibles, and I think a little drunk.

Basically, I love the current comedy landscape and how people are connected w one another.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cannonball Run 2 is more of a Good Place movie than a Medium Place one.

Now, Smokey and the Bandit 2...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gobbeldygook posted:

Well you see, the idea came into my head so it must have been put there by God and since God would never lie everything I conceive of must be true.

Time passing "the same" in both sets up possible stories and is something a network audience can wrap their mind around while them existing outside of time and space and being all times at all points OMMMM is not. For example, they could reveal to the quartet that they've been in the Bad Place for so long that everyone they ever knew is dead and we'll also get a scene where they ask about who went where. "Bob went to the Bad Place too?? What about Cheryl!?"

Head cannon isn't a source.

Also...brains aren't networked.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think Mindy's really earned that cocaine

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PriorMarcus posted:

Mindy has nothing to do with Michael's Good Place. The train can go anywhere.

Accretionist posted:

I think Mindy's really earned that cocaine

Mindy can get cocaine after Adam Scott cuts it.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Also, Michael's architecting flashbacks revealed that he stole a Good Place Janet to use.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder how many episodes until they go to The Bad Place. I can't think of a good reason for them to do so, but it feels inevitable.

Though I halfway expect them to show up and have it turn out that all the screams are fake and everyone scrambles to act like they're in hell.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We need an answer to the Doug Forcett question.

Is Doug Forcett real???

Edit: Oh poo poo, interview:

quote:

Q: Does Doug Forcett — the Canadian kid who got high on mushrooms and guessed 92 percent of the Good Place — actually exist?

A: [Laughs] It is canon in our writers’ room, at this moment in time — subject to change — yes, Doug Forcett exists and that story is real.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/07/good-place-michael-schur-season-2-spoilers/4/

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 2, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I wonder how many episodes until they go to The Bad Place. I can't think of a good reason for them to do so, but it feels inevitable.

Though I halfway expect them to show up and have it turn out that all the screams are fake and everyone scrambles to act like they're in hell.

They could always retcon it, but the demons or whatever have been talking a lot when no humans are around about their old jobs doing horrible things to people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

They could always retcon it, but the demons or whatever have been talking a lot when no humans are around about their old jobs doing horrible things to people.

Yeah but maybe they weren't torturing real people, but other demons

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nevvy Z posted:

Literally saw that scene today. I must have been half asleep for the last 4 episodes but they were so much fun to rewatch. Everything about how Jason died is perfect.

I appreciate that it was a Swanson brand safe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Accretionist posted:

We need an answer to the Doug Forcett question.

Is Doug Forcett real???

Edit: Oh poo poo, interview:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/07/good-place-michael-schur-season-2-spoilers/4/

A lot of people glommed on to the 'Make Michael think HE's in The Bad Place' plan, but I genuinely think the 'Find Doug' one is the more important one, plot-wise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gaz-L posted:

I want them to get Austin to do a cameo. Hell, they could have had him be Eleanor's soulmate in one cycle and she, like, faints.

The great thing about the Steve Austin gag is that it works on a couple of different levels. Firstly, it's just a funny line, delivered well. But Stone Cold Steve Austin is also a perfect ideal man for Eleanor as we've come to know her. A foul-mouthed, beer drinking muscle-bound redneck is basically a walking series of checkboxes for boozy, sweary, trashy Eleanor. And that's what I think makes The Good Place so, well, good. It never once takes its eyes off the ball that it's a purely character-driven show. So even little jokes are character-centric. It's another example of the impressive kind of continuity that's been built up, which makes it very refreshing when compared to other sitcoms.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

The great thing about the Steve Austin gag is that it works on a couple of different levels. Firstly, it's just a funny line, delivered well. But Stone Cold Steve Austin is also a perfect ideal man for Eleanor as we've come to know her. A foul-mouthed, beer drinking muscle-bound redneck is basically a walking series of checkboxes for boozy, sweary, trashy Eleanor. And that's what I think makes The Good Place so, well, good. It never once takes its eyes off the ball that it's a purely character-driven show. So even little jokes are character-centric. It's another example of the impressive kind of continuity that's been built up, which makes it very refreshing when compared to other sitcoms.

If only he was a mailman.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Lycus posted:

If only he was a mailman.

*rriiip* I gotta go to the gym!

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
How soon until we learn Donkey Doug and Doug Forcett are the same person?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Zypher posted:

How soon until we learn Donkey Doug and Doug Forcett are the same person?

Doug was 'a stoner in Calgary in the 70s' and looks to be in his 20s in the picture in Michael's office so I think it's pretty unlikely he was Donkey Doug in Florida as a 50 something year old man. Then again, snowbirds do like Florida.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 2, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be pretty funny if one member of Jason's crew was like 50

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

It would be pretty funny if one member of Jason's crew was like 50

Hey, when you're filling 60 slots, you take what you can get

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Why oh why couldn't this show have episode previews? I'm hungering for the next episode like Mindy is jonesing for Cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just found out that Bambadjan is the name of the actor who plays that character and for some reason it made it all the more hilarious.

• Locked thread