Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

400 yards.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
My mum was a bloody sniper, if I talk to any of these idiots I'll just get angry for no good reason. Dude was up 32 stories, at that elevation a lovely rifle can kill someone at 2km. Firing back with a pistol from the ground.. well wouldn't.

(unless you missed and shot someone on the opposite side of the building)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Heya, folks! I have good news for you all: we already have a thread for this particular kind of garbage posting. Here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821185

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Guess I'll scratch "Bubba Shot the Jukebox" off my country band's set this weekend :geno:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I shot an M-16 with a gas mask on. I could've made that shot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Hexyflexy”" post="“476975097”"]
My mum was a bloody sniper, if I talk to any of these idiots I’ll just get angry for no good reason. Dude was up 32 stories, at that elevation a lovely rifle can kill someone at 2km. Firing back with a pistol from the ground.. well wouldn’t.

(unless you missed and shot someone on the opposite side of the building)
[/quote]

All that said in the news it was just one person that was in the middle of it all that said he wished he had his gun. He was probably still pumped up on adrenaline.

People repeating that online however are idiots.

Reminds me of that university of Texas shooter from the 60s - all the tough guys blindly firing at the shooter just made the cops nervous about taking the last flight of stairs. (Story might be apocryphal?)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hexyflexy posted:

I swear if US politics stays the same way the next 6 months, half of us are going to go down with heart attacks.
I'm about 50/50 between stroking out and having an aneurysm.

Hexyflexy posted:

They've just confirmed he capped himself before they got into the room. I wonder what the gently caress his major malfunction was.
What is "not enough attention as a child?"

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 2, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hobbesmaster posted:

All that said in the news it was just one person that was in the middle of it all that said he wished he had his gun. He was probably still pumped up on adrenaline.

maybe his gun was a McMillan TAC-50.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Reminds me of that university of Texas shooter from the 60s - all the tough guys blindly firing at the shooter just made the cops nervous about taking the last flight of stairs. (Story might be apocryphal?)

quote:

As he sprinted from the chaos to try to find a safe place, he declared: "Holy f***, this girl just got shot in the f****** head."

He also admitted that he regretted not being armed during the shooting.

"Stupid a** me didn't bring a gun," he complained.

The problem is, he would've been the adrenaline pumping guy pumping rounds into the air and probably caused more damage.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

maybe his gun was a McMillan TAC-50.

i know one ultra paranoid guy who keeps a .308 in his trunk for this situation but he also never leave his farm so its kinda moot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“CommieGIR”" post="“476975397”"]
The problem is, he would’ve been the adrenaline pumping guy pumping rounds into the air and probably caused more damage.
[/quote]

Yeah I was trying to say it was understandable that he'd think that but anyone saying "yeah that's a good idea!" from the safety of their computer is an idiot.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Stolen from the GBS thread, here's a non-graphic video.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914735357408808960/pu/vid/720x1280/nLaK9UEK0mzBJrh5.mp4

The rate of fire is really weird. I extracted the audio and imported it into audacity.

I count about 90 peaks, so if the video missed the first second or so and each peak is a gunshot (which I think they are) that would suggest he was using 100 round drum mags.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dan Bilzeran probably is happy he didn't have a gun. It's much easier for him to say what he did as opposed to actually being armed and not accomplishing a loving thing.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So does anyone know if LVPD encrypts their comms? I know some PDs do while other's don't.

Only reason I ask is that from what it sounds like, dude domed himself before the SWAT team even entered the room. Maybe he figured out from listening to a scanner that his time was up and did it then.

God dammit this sucks.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is the correct phrasing to use on this "announcement".

https://twitter.com/AP/status/914856906346377216

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/914856502397145088

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Stolen from the GBS thread, here's a non-graphic video.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914735357408808960/pu/vid/720x1280/nLaK9UEK0mzBJrh5.mp4

The rate of fire is really weird. I extracted the audio and imported it into audacity.

I count about 90 peaks, so if the video missed the first second or so and each peak is a gunshot (which I think they are) that would suggest he was using 100 round drum mags.

That's some top nerding, I counted > 40 just listening to the footage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What isn't done by ISIS these days?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Guy's brother just said he wasn't a gun nut or former military, so that kinda makes things a little more :stare:

Then again, hearing the footage with shots, the former military part isn't a shocker since it sounds like he wasn't firing in bursts but just letting it rip for random intervals.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Guy's brother just said he wasn't a gun nut or former military, so that kinda makes things a little more :stare:

Then again, hearing the footage with shots, the former military part isn't a shocker since it sounds like he wasn't firing in bursts but just letting it rip for random intervals.

to be fair i bet the guy's brother doesn't think 10+ firearms is 'gun nut' territory

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

to be fair i bet the guy's brother doesn't think 10+ firearms is 'gun nut' territory

This is probably true.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Slightly related are nat guard armoury's actually filled with weapons like the Sierra Army Depot or is that more a myth? I just remember people stealing tanks from them a few times in the 1990s.

I've never seen guns at Sierra. Acres of equipment, vehicle armor (SO MANY HMMWV DOORS), Bobcats, those big mine-clearing attachments for M1 tanks, and warehouses with everything from ACOGs to dirt bikes. Never saw a gun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I've never seen guns at Sierra. Acres of equipment, vehicle armor (SO MANY HMMWV DOORS), Bobcats, those big mine-clearing attachments for M1 tanks, and warehouses with everything from ACOGs to dirt bikes. Never saw a gun.

Sorry, I didn't know it was an actually depot (though it makes sense). It was meant to be a Fallout 2 reference.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I listened to that clip slowed down to 0.25 speed and yeah each peak is a gunshot. Guess drum magazines have gotten better since Aurora. This gives legislators an opportunity to do something without doing anything meaningful: federal ban on ultra-high-capacity magazines. Think like a 32 round maximum capacity.

The WaPo has a hasty overview of what we know about the shooter. They say he owned two planes and imply he could afford Alaskan hunting trips, so he also had the money to legally purchase a full-auto. Wild.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm not assuming anyone frequents Hillary's Twitter, but just don't go there right now.

Don't.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

quote:

In a statement, Lockheed Martin, the defense giant, said that Paddock worked for them for three years in the 1980s.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not assuming anyone frequents Hillary's Twitter, but just don't go there right now.

Don't.

Her brain is fully broken. Then again losing to the equivalent of a guy who walks around town jerking off in public would probably do that or most people.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's going on with her Twitter?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Beaten to it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

[quote="“cowboy elvis”" post="“476977222”"]
What’s going on with her Twitter?
[/quote]

Unless she had tweeted something else and deleted it within the past hour, she immediately started talking about silencers and standing up to the NRA.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Outside of politicizing the thing in a loving heartbeat, it's also incredibly dumb. She's broken.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

What's going on with her Twitter?

blah blah blah clinton doesn't know how suppressors work

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Outside of politicizing the thing in a loving heartbeat, it's also incredibly dumb. She's broken.

Like I said she lost to the crazy person who masturbates in public while shouting random things.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

just like she doesn't understand how presidential campaigns work

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gobbeldygook posted:

I listened to that clip slowed down to 0.25 speed and yeah each peak is a gunshot. Guess drum magazines have gotten better since Aurora. This gives legislators an opportunity to do something without doing anything meaningful: federal ban on ultra-high-capacity magazines. Think like a 32 round maximum capacity.

The WaPo has a hasty overview of what we know about the shooter. They say he owned two planes and imply he could afford Alaskan hunting trips, so he also had the money to legally purchase a full-auto. Wild.

Yeah if he straight up owned two planes he definitely had the scratch to buy a legally transferred automatic, planes are even more of a money sink than boats.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“tastefully arranged labia”" post="“476977352”"]
just like she doesn’t understand how presidential campaigns work
[/quote]

:drat:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah that.

Like, I don't disagree with the notion that the NRA is loving terrible, and I'm on board with the idea of gun control legislation (not opening that can of worms, just saying the idea alone doesn't bother me specifically), but as much as I hate the Republican talking point of "THIS ISN'T THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT THIS!" in regards to natural disaster relief when a natural disaster is unfolding they are kinda right about this one.

Like a few days from now, sure, absolutely it should be discussed, but we're not even 12 hours out from the event.

EDIT: Also, I'm seeing people really reach with the silencer talk. Like most of the hot takes about silencers have been from people who clearly have no idea how they work outside of seeing them in movies and video games.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 2, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea that crazy dude had scratch

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

....why 32 rounds? Just curious. Seems rather arbitrary since the vast majority of mags out there are 30 and 40 rounds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sorry, I didn't know it was an actually depot (though it makes sense). It was meant to be a Fallout 2 reference.

Ah...3 was the first FO I played. And yeah, Sierra is in eastern CA, right near the NV border just north of Reno.

Edit: Has there been a case where a legal automatic owner used it to kill someone? Like...ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

....why 32 rounds? Just curious. Seems rather arbitrary since the vast majority of mags out there are 30 and 40 rounds.

The big extended Glock mags are 32 rounds, only reason I can think of for that number.

• Locked thread