Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
On mobile so can't link it, but there was an SA front page post that was a janitor complaining about cleaning up the holodeck after Riker used it and its pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Maybe the Holodeck on the Enterprise is less safe than Quarks. There weren't THAT many holodeck-gone-wrong episodes on DS9 (although they do have the best one, Our Man Bashir).

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It helps that DS9 isn't comming into direct contact with space anomalies every other week (except for the wormhole).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

swickles posted:

On mobile so can't link it, but there was an SA front page post that was a janitor complaining about cleaning up the holodeck after Riker used it and its pretty funny.

I remember that, it's fantastic. Data tries to replicate love.

... but isn't that front page like 15 years old? loving hell

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm wesley crusher, pinned to the side of his quarters after replicating a giant vagina.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

I'm wesley crusher, pinned to the side of his quarters after replicating a giant vagina.

It feels bad, but also good!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's incredible just how boring everyone is on the Enterprise in TNG. Are they not allowed to take drinks into the holodeck or something? Everyone's sitting around sipping Green and playing chess, or watching a classical band or doing a poo poo painting.

Yeah the TNG crew are the blandest most boring motherfuckers in space. Barclay is the only one who isn't and he's the crazy person on the ship.

Picard playing noir detective seemed like fun at least. And Worf. I'd be into exercise too if my exercise was fighting orcs inside a volcano.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Picard playing noir detective seemed like fun at least.

Except when he does that, he's telling the computer to make it less exciting the whole time. Some dude comes in and draws a gun and he's like "Whoa there computer, slow down, dial back the cool poo poo by 50%"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

swickles posted:

Obligatory TNG Edit video.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

swickles posted:

Found it! http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WampaLord posted:

Except when he does that, he's telling the computer to make it less exciting the whole time. Some dude comes in and draws a gun and he's like "Whoa there computer, slow down, dial back the cool poo poo by 50%"

Picard just loves the paperwork. He wants to sit at that desk and type up some notes on an oldy typewriter, but gangsters keep barging in and starting story arcs

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I imagine Picard as Dixon Hill is very much how James May would be.

"A tommy gun? Goodness gracious, I just want to spend some quality time with this 1932 Underwood typewriter!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Picard just loves the paperwork. He wants to sit at that desk and type up some notes on an oldy typewriter, but gangsters keep barging in and starting story arcs

Made me laugh

Playing the One Honest P.I. in a Crooked Town seems like something Picard would enjoy, just like Worf wants to fight skeletons and Geordi wants to gently caress the ship.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 2, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Arglebargle III posted:

and Geordi wants to gently caress the ship.

Only a blind man could love the Ent D. That ship was dead ugly and weak as a kitten.

I like the way the Orville is put together, it's not too bad :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's kind of insane it has dang old stairs though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Spiral ones at that, which are useless for moving anything other than people. You can barely even take stretchers down spiral staircases.

So yeah I'm totally with you on that point. Ramps or straight stairs would be better. That wouldn't look cool though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume there must also be an elevator.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assume the stairs are just convenience stairs and there's proper turbolifts and emergency stairs everywhere. You see this in buildings all the time. Code will demand two stairWELLS which need to conform to a ton of safety things and be fully enclosed, but you can still have extra stairs "just for show" more or less that people can use but aren't part of any emergency evacuation plans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spiral staircase is just fine for moving cargo if you turn off the gravity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like the bridge consists of two levels, the top is the actual bridge area, and then the bottom level has the briefing room or whatever and the captain's office. The elevator would go to both levels, but it's dumb to get in an elevator and then go up one floor when you can just run up the stairs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Picard just sits in that chair playing Beat Cop all day trying to find "the good ending"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VanSandman posted:

Maybe the Holodeck on the Enterprise is less safe than Quarks. There weren't THAT many holodeck-gone-wrong episodes on DS9 (although they do have the best one, Our Man Bashir).

Last time that happened I got slapped with 10 paternity suits!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

VanSandman posted:

The difference is that Quark clears the cache after every use, cause he runs a good quality holo-brothel and you don't read another man's holodeck history. On the Enterprise/Voyager the temp folder is so big and unwieldy they can't run the holodeck and the replicators at the same time. Geordi's the only one who seems to clean it out.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

vermin posted:

The difference is that Quark clears the cache after every use, cause he runs a good quality holo-brothel and you don't read another man's holodeck history. On the Enterprise/Voyager the temp folder is so big and unwieldy they can't run the holodeck and the replicators at the same time. Geordi's the only one who seems to clean it out.

Now I'm thinking of how crazy the IT service calls in the Trek universe must be. Like "Riker tried to reprogram the Holodeck to make three breasted, double vaginaed women, triggering an undocumented privilege escalation bug and now the Romulans are trying to jump from the holodeck systems into the main computer". "AGAIN? Can someone suspend his holodeck account please?"

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 2, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Or in Voyager, where the computers have literal organic components.
"What do you mean your computer has the clap?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ugh, "bio-neural gel packs"

ugh

ugghhhhhhhhhhh

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
So far, so good. Feels like a less somber TNG. 8/10, will continue watching.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ugh

ugghhhhhhhhhhh

Hey man, without the bio neural gel packs we wouldn't have had the hilariously bad episode where Janeway went rambo on giant viruses.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the spiral staircase is there so they can get a shot of someone tumbling off of it every time theres an impact. and thats ok.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurieg posted:

Hey man, without the bio neural gel packs we wouldn't have had the hilariously bad episode where Janeway went rambo on giant viruses.

Or "take this cheese to sickbay", I guess.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

To be fair, if my day job involved 1/10 of the insane poo poo Starfleet faces on the regular, my choice of escapism would probably also be pretty sedate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

To be fair, if my day job involved 1/10 of the insane poo poo Starfleet faces on the regular, my choice of escapism would probably also be pretty sedate.

yea if one were on a spaceship all the time i'd just go in there and say "computer, run program "Ocean Beach San Diego, in November" and just sit there and smoke synth-weed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kurieg posted:

Or in Voyager, where the computers have literal organic components.
"What do you mean your computer has the clap?"

Yaphet is the offspring of Riker and a Gel Pack.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Baronjutter posted:

:nws: but basically this https://vimeo.com/106365507
Skip to 3:55

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's kind of insane it has dang old stairs though.
Did anyone else notice that the tables and chairs in The Orville's 10-4ward are just lovely Ikea furniture? This bothers the gently caress out of me because it looks super uncomfortable AND not futuristic. Especially compared to the rest of the drat ship.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 3, 2017

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I watched all four episodes of the Orville and then saw the intro to Star Trek discovery and I immediately knew that the Orville was going to be a million times better.

What is this trash. This is some jj Abrams rear end bullshit Trek. Suck my dick cbs.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the TNG crew are the blandest most boring motherfuckers in space. Barclay is the only one who isn't and he's the crazy person on the ship.

Picard playing noir detective seemed like fun at least. And Worf. I'd be into exercise too if my exercise was fighting orcs inside a volcano.

To be fair when TNG premiered, at least from my perspective as a kid, even just the Dixon Hill program seemed amazingly cool and novel. There wasn't much conception of the idea of "virtual reality" in mainstream popular culture yet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Rocksicles posted:

Liam Neeson Approved.
Suck a dick critics.

^^^Mother.gently caress.Yes.

Late to the party, been preoccupied with some bullshit, just got to watch this ep right now.

Sorry for the "me too," but I am legit blown the ever-loving gently caress away by how good that was. More and more; what is more?! Well, it's brain, and I'll take a heapin' helpin' of it, tyvm. I was never a Seth hater, but now I am a Seth lover. On behalf of all of us, mega-kudos to you, Mr. MacFarlane. :3:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ugh

ugghhhhhhhhhhh

"Get this cheese to sickbay!"

UPN execs, Voyager season 4

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm also gonna have to hop on the "Orville is good" bandwagon. Totally expected Family Guy in space, so I may have just had super low expectations. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mogomra posted:

I'm also gonna have to hop on the "Orville is good" bandwagon. Totally expected Family Guy in space, so I may have just had super low expectations. :shrug:

I was in the same camp. It's a good camp, we have marshmallows and everything.