Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

Call of pripyat is the generally agreed upon one

If you don't want a kitchen sink ukrainian madness mod like misery or redux, just grab one of the big weapon packs like arsenal overhaul or CoPWP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I have it on PS4 and honestly it's not a good game but that's just me, its generally considered a very divisive game and either you love it or hate it. Probably didn't help I came off playing BB but I just couldn't get into it. I disliked the busy-work mechanics like hit the chi recovery timing button and there were only like 5 different types of dudes you fight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also look into atmosfear and autumn aurora for graphics/weather improvements.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xaris posted:

I have it on PS4 and honestly it's not a good game but that's just me, its generally considered a very divisive game and either you love it or hate it.

It's not a very good game no.

It's not bad but man it feels like a rip off of DS with some mechanics grafted on that throw all balance and challenge out the window if you use them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Xaris posted:

I have it on PS4 and honestly it's not a good game but that's just me, its generally considered a very divisive game and either you love it or hate it. Probably didn't help I came off playing BB but I just couldn't get into it. I disliked the busy-work mechanics like hit the chi recovery timing button and there were only like 5 different types of dudes you fight.

Your theory checks out since its very good imo

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I really enjoyed Nioh but i found it a good bit easier than any of the Soulsbourne stuff i played (everything other than DS 2 + 3).

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 2, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I hope that port is good so I can finally see what all the hubbub was about. I want to be samurai Geralt.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

spudsbuckley posted:

I really enjoyed Nioh but i found it a good bit easier than any of the Soulsbourne stuff i played (every other than DS 2 + 3).

It generally is easier yeah, because the enemies don't cheat. They have a (visible) stamina bar to manage and can't just infinite-chain attacks. The initial hump is way worse than any Souls game though (except maybe Bloodborne?) because they frontload the 2 hardest bosses to the first two missions, a point at which you don't have access to most of your skills no matter how much you grind (because they're story locked). By Act 3 you've got options coming out your rear end and things feel a lot easier.

Black Griffon posted:

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

The third one (Call of Pripyat?) is considered good enough to playable out of the box without any mods. It has some great ones though - there's one that adds the maps of all 3 games together into one giant Zone sandbox that's really good.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mordja posted:

Have you not played COP yet? It's definitely the best one from a gameplay/sandbox perspective (SOC still wins in terms of overall atmosphere, I think) and doesn't really need any mod for a first run through, outside of ones that'll pretty it up.

Digirat posted:

Call of pripyat is the generally agreed upon one

If you don't want a kitchen sink ukrainian madness mod like misery or redux, just grab one of the big weapon packs like arsenal overhaul or CoPWP.

DatonKallandor posted:

The third one (Call of Pripyat?) is considered good enough to playable out of the box without any mods. It has some great ones though - there's one that adds the maps of all 3 games together into one giant Zone sandbox that's really good.

Alright, seems like people are pretty unanimous about CoP, and it'll be fun to play a Stalker game I haven't played before, seeing as I've put hundreds of hours into SoC and Blue Sky.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 2, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Guys if you like Legend of Grimrock you might want to check out Vaporum.
I'm about 5 hours in and it's basically Steampunk LoG without party members. You get two weapon slots (bound to your mouse buttons) and can equip "gadgets" to your exoskeleton/suit which are like spells you can swap out at any time (but there's no casting system like LoG just hotkeys).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

It generally is easier yeah, because the enemies don't cheat. They have a (visible) stamina bar to manage and can't just infinite-chain attacks. The initial hump is way worse than any Souls game though (except maybe Bloodborne?) because they frontload the 2 hardest bosses to the first two missions, a point at which you don't have access to most of your skills no matter how much you grind (because they're story locked). By Act 3 you've got options coming out your rear end and things feel a lot easier.

I have seen enemies attack with no stamina multiple times, as well as tons of other things that seemed like they broke the rules based on how I understood them (and the game does fuckall to actually explain the intricacies of these things if they are more complicated than what it tells you in its very limited tutorial). Crap like that made me distrustful of any mechanics I thought I understood and left me without any idea how to actually get better at the game. I've never played another game like nioh where I felt like I understood it less and less the more I played it. By the time I put it down, 5 minutes couldn't go by without something happening that made no sense to me, like blocking an attack and losing a chip of stamina when I previously blocked that exact same attack and lost all my stamina.

I found it a lot harder than the souls series and bloodborne after awhile since I can actually understand what the hell is happening in those games, poise notwithstanding.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, seems like people are pretty unanimous about CoP, and it'll be fun to play a Stalker game I haven't played before, seeing as I've put hundreds of hours into SoC and Blue Sky.

you know how everyone was just gushing about F.E.A.R. back a few pages? Stalker (the first and third, first holds a special place in my heart) is the same way, timeless classics.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Nioh is great, until the complete lack of enemy and encounter variety gets to you. It doesn't help that once you unlock the cool powers you've already finished most of the difficult stuff in the game.

I've heard it gets more interesting in the ng+ modes, but I couldn't push myself through those last few levels.

If you do pick it up, absolutely do not bother with the side-missions, you'll burn yourself out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nioh is not even in the same ballpark as bloodborne lol

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Since I obviously haven't made enough work for myself lately, I rounded up the Weeklong Deals again. It's another high-quality week, a good chance to pick up King's Bounty, the Dream Machine, Refunct, and some other solid stuff. There are also three games in the Weeklongs that are on my Spooktober schedule so I'll go ahead and review them this week, though they're probably not going to be pro picks for anyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Trick Question posted:

Nioh is great, until the complete lack of enemy and encounter variety gets to you. It doesn't help that once you unlock the cool powers you've already finished most of the difficult stuff in the game.

I've heard it gets more interesting in the ng+ modes, but I couldn't push myself through those last few levels.

If you do pick it up, absolutely do not bother with the side-missions, you'll burn yourself out.

I did every quest in Kingdoms of Amalur.

I 100%ed Mad Max.

Bring it on punk.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While I agree enemy variety is low in Nioh, I am struggling to think of a niche new enemy types could fill - they'd just end up reskinned versions of other mobs, and even Dark Souls fell into that trap a fair bit.

Either way it's definitely worth going into with a different mindset. Nioh is more about murdering things for loot than exploring a more richly detailed world.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Since I obviously haven't made enough work for myself lately, I rounded up the Weeklong Deals again. It's another high-quality week, a good chance to pick up King's Bounty, the Dream Machine, Refunct, and some other solid stuff. There are also three games in the Weeklongs that are on my Spooktober schedule so I'll go ahead and review them this week, though they're probably not going to be pro picks for anyone.

I just wanna say Refunct is an awesome little chill game and the ending brought a smile to my face :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wamdoodle posted:

I just wanna say Refunct is an awesome little chill game and the ending brought a smile to my face :)

It's so chill and fun to play that I couldn't bring myself to refund it, despite it being over in less than an hour. A good game. :3:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's so chill and fun to play that I couldn't bring myself to refund it, despite it being over in less than an hour. A good game. :3:

:same: :peanut:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cuphead is great y'all

King Vidiot posted:

I think a good player could probably beat Cuphead in a few hours, but it'll probably take me all next month to beat it.
I beat it in 5 hours :slick:

wish it had a hard mode because it's a bit short and I won't get that much time out of running bosses back for higher rank. game looks incredible though and has good boss variety

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Demicol posted:

I'm about 5 hours in and it's basically Steampunk LoG without party members. You get two weapon slots (bound to your mouse buttons) and can equip "gadgets" to your exoskeleton/suit which are like spells you can swap out at any time (but there's no casting system like LoG just hotkeys).

How's the puzzles though? The draw of Grimrock for me was the cool puzzles and traps, does this game have at least decent ones? I'm not expecting something on the level of Grimrock 2 but I really like this genre so having even an ok extra addition to it would be cool.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

IronicDongz posted:

cuphead is great y'all

wish it had a hard mode because it's a bit short and I won't get that much time out of running bosses back for higher rank. game looks incredible though and has good boss variety

But you DO unlock an Expert Mode for the boss levels when you beat the game once???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ikari Worrier posted:

But you DO unlock an Expert Mode for the boss levels when you beat the game once???
poo poo you're right

either I missed it or there wasn't a message about that

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

IronicDongz posted:

poo poo you're right

either I missed it or there wasn't a message about that

Yeah I don't think the game explicitly tells you, it just appears as an option when you load your save you beat the game with.

Also having tried out a couple of the bosses at random on Expert, boy do I have my work cut out for me if I want to give them a go since they're utterly ruthless at that difficulty.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is wingamestore a legit retailer?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Disney restored online play and implemented crossplay between Steam and GOG for classic Battlefront 2.

Gonna pawn some noobs like it's 2004. :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

IronicDongz posted:

cuphead is great y'all

You must be insanely good because how the hell do you beat it in 5 hrs? some of the bosses easily have taken me 30 minutes each. I'm probably estimating to finish it in about 8 hrs (on W3 right now, bosses feel a lot easier now so maybe it'll go quicker)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is wingamestore a legit retailer?

I've bought from them (specifically Europa Universalis 4 DLC) without issue, and they're listed on Is There Any Deal, so they should be okay.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

OhFunny posted:

Disney restored online play and implemented crossplay between Steam and GOG for classic Battlefront 2.

Game keeps freezing every time I launch the multiplayer, but at least this'll probably get fixed soon :confuoot:

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Demicol posted:

Thank you for the recommendation, I was itching for more first person dungeon crawlers after Grimrock I & II and replaying Arx Fatalis and I was getting desperate. Downloading it right now!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

YellerBill posted:

Game keeps freezing every time I launch the multiplayer, but at least this'll probably get fixed soon :confuoot:

Yeah blows.

People on Steam are posting that the new servers are crashing under the load of people trying to play. Which kinda blows my mind if true.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome! It's the first FPS I played, even if for about an hour.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Senjuro posted:

How's Tecmo's track record with PC ports?

It probably won't have Xbox controller button prompts, because they port like it's 2001

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Xaris posted:

You must be insanely good because how the hell do you beat it in 5 hrs? some of the bosses easily have taken me 30 minutes each. I'm probably estimating to finish it in about 8 hrs (on W3 right now, bosses feel a lot easier now so maybe it'll go quicker)
I don't think I'm THAT good. but the only parts that took me like 10+ tries were the final boss, world 3 train boss, and that one level with the part where you ride on an octopus head(I actually found that specific segment to be the hardest part of the whole game tbh)

for what it's worth: charge shot is definitely far and away the best weapon in the game in terms of how quickly it kills things. plus I think it's easier to use charge weapons in games like this, because you only have to line up a shot every couple of seconds instead of trying to maximize how often you're hitting all the time so the rest of the time as you're charging you can be fully in 'dodge mode' mentally

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 3, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Finally playing through the last Witcher 3 DLC and holy moly, the tourney and vineyard reclaiming were secondary quests? They were fantastic. Would have been pretty sad if I missed those. Are there any others I need to go out of my way to find?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Substandard posted:

It probably won't have Xbox controller button prompts, because they port like it's 2001

I've rarely had much of a need for those button prompts on PC. Its lazy, yes, but not that hard to figure out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Finally playing through the last Witcher 3 DLC and holy moly, the tourney and vineyard reclaiming were secondary quests? They were fantastic. Would have been pretty sad if I missed those. Are there any others I need to go out of my way to find?

The one where you solve a ghost mystery with your talking horse.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Huh. OneShot has some really interesting puzzles. Always nice to experience something new. Also, another game down. I'm gonna beat down this backlog (assuming some sick bundles don't appear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

poptart_fairy posted:

While I agree enemy variety is low in Nioh, I am struggling to think of a niche new enemy types could fill - they'd just end up reskinned versions of other mobs, and even Dark Souls fell into that trap a fair bit.

Either way it's definitely worth going into with a different mindset. Nioh is more about murdering things for loot than exploring a more richly detailed world.

That's a good way of putting it; Nioh is set up differently than Dark Souls. I've heard it described as being 'a distant cousin of Dark Sous, twice removed' or something along those lines. It's got a weapon loot setup like Diablo, and rather than an inter-connected world, you choose missions from a map screen.

Personally, I don't think the enemy variety is an issue. I actually take more issue with how areas are reused with only the lighting change.

The one thing that I think Nioh does far better than Dark Souls does is how it handles weapons. One of the problems I had with Dark Souls 1 is that the weapon system is so cumbersome and uninviting. You can find a weapon, but not have the stats to wield it properly, which means you have to start investing points into whatever stat you need to wield it. You also need to gather materials to upgrade it so it can do more damage. By the end, though, you might find that the weapon doesn't even work that well.

Nioh, on the other hand, has five weapon types (seven if you include the weapons the DLC adds), all of which you find and can use within the first actual mission. It lets you get a feel for which weapon you like the most, and you can start putting points into that stat. Also, all of the weapons block 100% of damage (whereas in DS1, only certain shields blocked 100% of damage.)

Disclaimer: I really like Nioh, despite not having finished it yet or played any of the DLC for it yet.