Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Sonarr in Docker on Ubuntu works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

bobfather posted:

I'd rather hack together 10 different jails for my apps than try to run Windows Server under FreeNAS. Too many resources wasted with that route.

I installed Windows Server 2016 on FreeNAS with almost no problems.

Other than the bhyve bug with Intel 10/100/1000 NICs. Once I switched to using the VirtIO drives it has run almost with out issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's no benefit to be gained from running those NET-based Usenet things on Windows instead of Linux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I literally run Docker containers for all my Usenet related programs including Sonarr and Radarr that are .NET / Mono based with zero problems on a Linux host.
Fun fact for everyone wishing they had this but run FreeNAS, those .Net things (and others, such as jackett, emby and many other things) are available via pkg on FreeBSD-based platforms using mono for installation in jails.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just bought my first real server like a big boy, 8 bays of wonderful storage capacity. :fap:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There is something incredibly fun about having a high-end rig and just going nuts with it. :clint:

I'm migrating years and years of poo poo from all my various machines over to my ZFS array. Right now my old fileserver has an rsync going from each of its drives going over the gigabit ethernet, and I'm also pushing stuff over from my desktop at drive speed while consolidating stuff from an external onto another drive in my desktop. There's about 3 gbit/s of data flowing around my systems and I'm not even close to maxing out :haw:

I think Infiniband is a big plus as far as IOPS is concerned but simply having a dedicated link between my desktop and my ZFS server is the best. It is incredibly annoying how gigabit bottlenecks you - that's literally just one HDD worth of throughput, let alone heavy IOPS or multiple systems all shoving data through. We literally have faster throughput in the USB standard nowadays, for gently caress's sake. For a NAS that could easily be running 2-4 drives?

My filesystem is a mess (years of haphazard backups, heavy duplication everywhere, but way more than dedup can reasonably handle on a cheap machine) and it's so, so nice to be able to wrangle poo poo around 3-4 machines in semi-realtime rather than like, running one command and coming back tomorrow.

I'm guesstimating I have a roughly 30% duplication factor overall starting from ~24 TB right now - a lot of media library stuff that I can dedup or burn out to disk. Another big chunk is scans of medium format negs that need to be backed up permanently if possible (two-copy rule for physical media).

I think by tonight I should have everything living on my ZFS server in a single filesystem, then I can triage poo poo for backup or deletion.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 3, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If I have "pool", and there is already a sub-dir "/pool/mydir", is "zfs create pool/mydir" destructive? I'd like to snapshot a chunk of an existing pool.

edit: also this machine pulls more than I'd like at idle, and Sandy Bridge isn't going to cut it either. Are there going to be E3 Xeon Coffee Bridge options here with ECC support? I may just suck it up and go with a P10S-M WS...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 3, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
A 1245 is nice. 4 cores and 8 threads, only goes to 32GB RAM Though. If you don't virtualize a lot of machines it is more than enough.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pretty much the point of newer Xeons past Sandy Bridge is power efficiency but for home file servers beyond so many drives the majority of power consumption will be drives and power efficiency loss from overspecced PSUs. A good bet for home power user servers is still honestly the Xeon D series from a couple years ago. The standalone Xeons seem to have greater power draw from too much stuff on workstation motherboards (compared to rack server boards) and IPMI is a power draw that is worth it to myrself but possibly not for some users.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If I have "pool", and there is already a sub-dir "/pool/mydir", is "zfs create pool/mydir" destructive? I'd like to snapshot a chunk of an existing pool.
You can pretty quickly check this with a small demo I’d imagine by putting in a few files into a directory, snapshotting, creating your new zfs pool, and verifying it can be restored (I suspect there will be an error while restoring the snapshot until the sub-zpool is unmounted). Directory mounting conventions usually mean that if you mount over an existing directory that the original directory’s content is not actually overwritten.

I normally would expect to see zfs zvols or something similar in the directory structure of a zpool rather than more zpools but whatever works I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dell Poweredge T20 and T30 idle at 15-20W and have quadcore E3 CPUs with ECC support. I found it though to match that combination of 7k+ passmark/ECC/IP-KVM/16x PCIe/low idle power at reasonable prices, though mine cost less than the retail price of the CPU when Dell did their cashback sale.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think Infiniband is a big plus as far as IOPS is concerned but simply having a dedicated link between my desktop and my ZFS server is the best. It is incredibly annoying how gigabit bottlenecks you - that's literally just one HDD worth of throughput, let alone heavy IOPS or multiple systems all shoving data through. We literally have faster throughput in the USB standard nowadays, for gently caress's sake. For a NAS that could easily be running 2-4 drives?

Are folks using actual IB instead of 40GbE? FreeNAS's manual seems to indicate that it doesn't support IB at all. I just eBay'd two Mellanox 40GbE cards (IB not supported) since it seemed like that's all that FreeNAS supported... but maybe you aren't using FreeNAS, or have it working unofficially. Is IB a better route than 40GbE?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

admiraldennis posted:

Are folks using actual IB instead of 40GbE? FreeNAS's manual seems to indicate that it doesn't support IB at all. I just eBay'd two Mellanox 40GbE cards (IB not supported) since it seemed like that's all that FreeNAS supported... but maybe you aren't using FreeNAS, or have it working unofficially. Is IB a better route than 40GbE?

Yeah, I'm not using FreeNAS. Right now I'm just using Ubuntu Server.

IB QDR is pretty cheap for both adapters and switches, which was the attraction for me.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I've set up IPMI on my Supermicro X8DTU-F. I can access the website from my laptop, but pressing "login" doesn't appear to do anything. I've tried different browsers to no avail. My chrome log says
code:
xmit.js:258 Refused to set unsafe header "Content-length"
send @ xmit.js:258
xmit.js:259 Refused to set unsafe header "Connection"
send @ xmit.js:259
every time I press login.

Any ideas? I ran into this before and after updating the BIOS.

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Greatest Living Man posted:

I've set up IPMI on my Supermicro X8DTU-F. I can access the website from my laptop, but pressing "login" doesn't appear to do anything. I've tried different browsers to no avail. My chrome log says
code:
xmit.js:258 Refused to set unsafe header "Content-length"
send @ xmit.js:258
xmit.js:259 Refused to set unsafe header "Connection"
send @ xmit.js:259
every time I press login.

Any ideas? I ran into this before and after updating the BIOS.

It uses a lovely old version of java. Sandbox a VM and disable every single security setting in the browser and the java applet control panel dingus. Only once you can truly be owned by random lovely websites can you view your IPMI stuff. That or download IPMIView from supermicro's website and log in that way. It lets you do all the same poo poo, only from the app instead of from the crappy built in webserver.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That or download IPMIView from supermicro's website and log in that way. It lets you do all the same poo poo, only from the app instead of from the crappy built in webserver.

This. I've always found it to work better than any of the browser based methods.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

admiraldennis posted:

Are folks using actual IB instead of 40GbE?
Is IB a better route than 40GbE?
I started with 56GBit IB on my ConnectX3 VPI, but 40GbE gave me a slightly higher throughput (card can do both) between my now Linux NAS and my Windows desktop.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

DrDork posted:

This. I've always found it to work better than any of the browser based methods.

Using IPMIView gives me "RAKP Message 2 error:Unauthorized name (status code = 0Dh)"
The only info I can find online about this says "Radius Authentication or LDAP is only supported by web interface. IPMIView is using ipmitool utility. Ipmitool utility did not support Radius Authentication." I've tried other authentication methods to no avail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It lets you do all the same poo poo, only from the app instead of from the crappy built in webserver.

Does IPMI have a different API for apps vs the browser? My guess is that either way is using some sort of RESTish API served by the built-in webserver.

I say this not to be pedantic but because I wonder about the security implications...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
IPMI protocol is fairly well documented and published and I’d presume that the browser based viewer is a variant of a Java applet that runs locally so in an HTML5 app you could still be sending packets on the wire just the same. IPMI BMCs have a bit of a history with a lot of them not being particularly well secured but this is usually why these ports are normally physically isolated from the rest of the network and vigorously enforced. The built-in webservers are pretty trash historically and are usually easy to own so I have my doubts they’d go as far as adding a streaming API for video, USB, keyboard, etc. when it all exists already with provisions for vendor extensions. There’s iLO and DRAC variants but it’s the same idea to me for why there is not much added on materially to these IP KVM standards.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Have you tried hard-resetting IPMI using a client on the box itself, like ipmitool in ubuntu? I have had weird behavior from it on multiple systems until I do that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

admiraldennis posted:

I guess let me flip this around and ask the open-ended question: what would people here recommend for fast networking that can be bought/ebayed for less than $100 per adapter? Is there a significant reason to go 40 GbE vs QDR IB? Is there a compelling reason (drivers/RDMA/etc) to prefer the later Mellanox cards to the earlier ones?

Mostly I was recommending the ConnectX-2 based on its pricing (can be ebayed for $40/card) but I'm definitely open if there is something better around.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I've been waiting on the right hard disk deal to come up to spec out a NAS, and the recent Best Buy sale was perfect. I grabbed 3 8TB Easystores each containing Red drives (thanks admiraldennis!). I used to be really comfortable speccing out gaming PCs over 10 years ago, but had to learn quite a lot to figure out my use cases and how the hardware can serve those ends.

Primarily, we want a NAS to provide ample storage space and data integrity for family photos, videos, personal documents, PC images, etc. I'd also like to have a machine for storing and serving media over Plex (up to 3 1080p streams transcoding simultaneously), run a couple VMs and web servers for various programming projects, downsample HEVC videos from my camera, and enough horsepower to meet future challenges (I'd like to be able to edit video off the machine but wiring my house for 10GbE isn't something I want to mess with right now).

Here are some components I threw together, so now you can tell me this is stupidly overpriced and overpowered for the things I want to do with it:
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Silent MATX Mini Tower
Power: SeaSonic SS-300TGW 300W TFX12V (v2.31) 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v6
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 Unbuffered ECC

I'm not sure about the ValueRAM, but Supermicro claims compatibility with the Micron D9SRJ chips. Is this all I need to worry about? I've had mixed luck with Kingston memory in the distant past. The PSU seems like it'd easily cover the maximum draw I calculated, but should I err on the side of caution and get more room?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Shame Boner posted:

I've been waiting on the right hard disk deal to come up to spec out a NAS, and the recent Best Buy sale was perfect. I grabbed 3 8TB Easystores each containing Red drives (thanks admiraldennis!). I used to be really comfortable speccing out gaming PCs over 10 years ago, but had to learn quite a lot to figure out my use cases and how the hardware can serve those ends.

Primarily, we want a NAS to provide ample storage space and data integrity for family photos, videos, personal documents, PC images, etc. I'd also like to have a machine for storing and serving media over Plex (up to 3 1080p streams transcoding simultaneously), run a couple VMs and web servers for various programming projects, downsample HEVC videos from my camera, and enough horsepower to meet future challenges (I'd like to be able to edit video off the machine but wiring my house for 10GbE isn't something I want to mess with right now).

Here are some components I threw together, so now you can tell me this is stupidly overpriced and overpowered for the things I want to do with it:
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Silent MATX Mini Tower
Power: SeaSonic SS-300TGW 300W TFX12V (v2.31) 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v6
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 Unbuffered ECC

I'm not sure about the ValueRAM, but Supermicro claims compatibility with the Micron D9SRJ chips. Is this all I need to worry about? I've had mixed luck with Kingston memory in the distant past. The PSU seems like it'd easily cover the maximum draw I calculated, but should I err on the side of caution and get more room?

You don't need a TFX power supply with that case; it uses normal ATX power supplies.

Other than that everything else is fine. Certainly overkill for your current use case but this isn't the parts picking thread so :homebrew:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I have some thoughts:

Why that Xeon? A Ryzen 1600 or 1600x would be more powerful and cheaper. The consequence to getting Ryzen is also that it and many, many AM4 motherboards support ECC memory. Like, even some of the $70 boards out there do. Do your research on this though before committing to a board.

Also, 32gb of RAM is overkill for FreeNAS. Running packages in jails is very cheap in terms of CPU and RAM usage, and 32gb would only be needed if you're running VMs in FreeNAS. If you don't plan to run any VMs, I'm pretty sure you can even use ZFS dedupe with only 16gb of RAM.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How's a Ryzen going to compare to my old i5-750 when it comes to usenet stuff like unraring and also transcoding for emby and the like?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Uh, a regular 1600 has almost 2x single thread performance, 6 cores and 12 threads. It'll be somewhere from 2-4x faster depending upon how multithreaded your software is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I guess I coulda googled that...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Uh, a regular 1600 has almost 2x single thread performance, 6 cores and 12 threads. It'll be somewhere from 2-4x faster depending upon how multithreaded your software is.

Unless you get magic 1600x's: http://www.techradar.com/news/some-ryzen-5-1600x-buyers-have-found-their-6-core-cpu-has-8-cores

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you live near a Frys or Microcenter, it’s worthwhile to look through their stock for recently-manufactured 1600x. I think the consensus is week 33ish chips assembled in Malaysia have been winners for some people.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Krailor posted:

You don't need a TFX power supply with that case; it uses normal ATX power supplies.

Other than that everything else is fine. Certainly overkill for your current use case but this isn't the parts picking thread so :homebrew:

I didn't catch that, thanks!

I figured there was a lot of fat that could be trimmed from that build. Apparently I misread the article on freenas.org recommending 32GB of RAM, so I'll happily trade down for 16GB. Apparently Google Express has a Ryzen 1600X promotional price of $170 for new customers, so I'll give it another look! Thanks for the feedback. Would the parts picking thread be a better place to take my system building questions?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Shame Boner posted:

I didn't catch that, thanks!

I figured there was a lot of fat that could be trimmed from that build. Apparently I misread the article on freenas.org recommending 32GB of RAM, so I'll happily trade down for 16GB. Apparently Google Express has a Ryzen 1600X promotional price of $170 for new customers, so I'll give it another look! Thanks for the feedback. Would the parts picking thread be a better place to take my system building questions?

Maybe, but if you get the Ryzen 1600x and pair it with one of the Asus boards capable of supporting ECC (most of them, according to my cursory research) you’re like 90% there.

A 1600x is insanely overpowered for FreeNAS by itself, but you’ll be thankful for it if you decide you want to run some intensive software in jails, or run some VMs on FreeNAS.

I have an i7 3770 non-K with 24gb of RAM running ESXi, pfSense, and FreeNAS. In FreeNAS I have independent jails running nzbget, sonarr, radarr, transmission, nginx, unifi, resilio, homebridge, plex, and rclone. Also, raidz2 with a bunch of 2tb drives I had laying around. This hardware just laughs at that load, and the 1600x is close to twice as fast as the 3770 is.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I love all the high powered server chat. It reminds me how much I love/hate my plucky little HPN40L with it's dual core 1.5ghz AMD Turion. Go baby go! You take as much time as you need unzipping that archive. :allears:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hell my Haswell i5 runs my virtualized steambox with GPU passthough as well as my dedicated HTPC did. (I only play Dark Souls and Rocket League and nonintensive stuff so this isn't a big deal). And in the background is Plex, Sonarr/Radarr, nzbget, deluge, and unifi in dockers.

Still on the lookout for a 4790k to upgrade on the cheap once the coffee lake sell off starts :getin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How lovely is something like this for basic use with ZFS or w/e? I am out of onboard ports for HDDs.

edit: changed to a 2.0x2 version - or really just tell me what I want.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 5, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Minty Swagger posted:

I love all the high powered server chat. It reminds me how much I love/hate my plucky little HPN40L with it's dual core 1.5ghz AMD Turion. Go baby go! You take as much time as you need unzipping that archive. :allears:

My old fileserver is an Athlon 5350 and I think that's actually the perfect server for low-end usage. I love the poo poo out of the AM1 platform and it's a tragedy that AMD didn't do more with it. You used to be able to walk out of Microcenter with a CPU+mobo for $40 and build a decent complete PC for under $200, it was really something special.

Downside is the AM1 motherboards are poo poo and it only supports 2 SATA ports so you'll probably need to run a RAID/SAS/SATA controller in it for most of this stuff. Unzipping archives is not the fastest in the world but it's tolerable and you have enough threads to keep churning through something else in the meantime.

Right now I'm consolidating everything in an old Bloomfield workstation and at some future point I'm going to rebuild in a Sandy Bridge-E workstation I was recently gifted. Just imagine, a water-cooled E5-1650 with 32 GB of RAM :allears: (I'm also fully aware that the idle power consumption on that system is going to be bullshit, so eventually I'm going to replace it and turn the system into a hackintosh or development server or something)

Up at our family cottage we have a PC built with an E350 - which I think probably has even your Turion beat in pure single-threaded shittiness. (edit: yup)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

My old fileserver is an Athlon 5350

This is what i'm upgrading from next week and I absolutely agree though I did find a board that has 4 SATA ports which extended it's life for me without having to throw any extra money at it. I'll probably sell it for what I paid for it minus the disks.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Paul MaudDib posted:

How lovely is something like this for basic use with ZFS or w/e? I am out of onboard ports for HDDs.

edit: changed to a 2.0x2 version - or really just tell me what I want.

Personally I haven't had a problem with a similar model. I also have one that I use for two msata drives mirrored in ZFS for jails. Just don't use any of the hardware RAID (Marvell 88SE9235) functionality. This thread overwhelmingly recommends LSI controllers, though, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LSI-Meg...872.m2749.l2649 For the SAS ports you need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 5, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The biggest thing to ensure is SATA Passthrough, but NCQ is pretty much a canary for that - if NCQ is supported, the card is doing SATA Passthrough.
Be warned though - parts of, if not the whole series, of the Marvel SE925x series of chips have been known to crash under full load leading to data loss. There's supposed to be a firmware update, but it's distributed by vendors so your mileage may wary.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 5, 2017

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Minty Swagger posted:

You have no idea. My Xpenology box runs 1,000 things on an AMD Athlon X2 240... :haw:

edit: (this is not a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Its one of those things where I can afford to buy something better, but the form factor and my use case compels me to keep it. :3:

On a somber note one of my 2TB reds started throwing unrecoverable sector errors a couple days ago in it, turns out it has over 6 years of power on time, so I cant even be mad.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade the whole thing and add a shitload of 6 or 8tb drives, but then I really really need to evaluate if the crap I'm storing is worth the cost...