Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial. During the class trial, you will present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for "whodunnit." If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and that person will earn the right to leave this island!
: I'm sure you guys are starving by now, but let's get revved up and raring to go! Whoever survives will be treated to a fancy lunch. Guess what? Rabbit curry is on the menu!
: Huh? I'm not the main ingredient, right?

: I'm here today...because coach Nekomaru risked his life...to protect me...
: I'm gonna be the one who avenges him! I'll definitely find out who the killer is!
: ...I'm definitely not tempted by curry, got it!?
: A-Akane! You seem to have an impressive amount of drool flowing from your mouth!

: Hey...why don't we try going over the incident? We weren't able to leave Strawberry House, so I want to make sure we get a detailed understanding...
: Um...I discovered Nekomaru's body a little before 7:00 a.m. I headed over to Grape Tower for Monokuma Tai Chi and found the body there.
: ...Hajime and Chiaki were also with me.

: Hajime was...with Miss Sonia and Chiaki that early in the morning?
: D-Don't tell me you three were together since last night!?
: Imbecile! I am not some woman with flexible legs!
: O-O-Of course you're not! You're much classier than that.
: With legs like those, I could prolly do the splits real easy.

: We just happened to run into each other on the first floor of Grape House, and went to the tower together...
: And then...the three of us discovered Nekomaru's body.
: The body discovery announcement was made soon after. Akane heard that and rushed over.
: We heard the body discovery announcement too...from Strawberry House, obviously.

: As I recall, we found the elevator was out of order, which left us stuck...
: So we decided to go to the tower for the time being and headed for Strawberry Hall...
: But someone even broke Strawberry Hall's door button. We couldn't go anywhere because of that.
: Thinking we should at least find some method to communicate, we set our sights on the lounge telephone.
: Forget these borin' intros! Let's talk about the killer!

: ...Anyway, it's definitely someone from Strawberry House!
: What do you mean, "definitely"!?
: There's no way a chick would kill someone so cruelly... So it must be one of you Strawberry House dudes.
: One of you better hurry up and confess, or I'll break all of you in half!
: Y-You're the cruelest one here!
: Now now, enough with the lover's quarrel. We need to think about this seriously.

: We don't have the luxury of discussing irrelevant things. The incident this time has many questions.
: The incident notwithstanding...I also have many questions.

: Then let's start with something even Miss Sonia can understand: the weapon!
: ...Huh?
: Well...the weapon is obvious, right?
: What the heck, you guys...? The weapon...you can totally tell just by looking...

You can tell what the weapon is just by looking...? It wouldn't be much of a mystery if that were true... The only thing at the crime scene that looked like a weapon was probably...

: I guess we should figure out the weapon first...
: The weapon was right there at the scene of the crime!
: ...That pillar, huh.
: No, the hammer!
: The killer used that hammer...
: ...and beat the crap out of him!
: If it was unexpected, I suppose that is possible...
: That's right! It was a surprise beating!
: The weapon is decided!

The hammer in the tower was the weapon... Like he said, it looks like that's the case but...

: Nekomaru was very badly dented all over his body, but didn't that hammer look a little too suspicious? Not to mention, it was pretty clean for being the supposed murder weapon...

> Shoot "beat the crap" with "New-Looking Hammer"

: No...I can't accept that that hammer was the murder weapon.
: Why not!? Why can't you accept it!?

: A lot of oil was flowing from Nekomaru's body, just like human blood, right? If the hammer was used to beat Nekomaru, you'd expect some oil to be on it, at least.

: But that hammer was clean... So that's why you can't accept that it's the murder weapon.
: Well yeah, but...the killer might've wiped off the oil later...
: ...Why?
: Well, obviously...to make the hammer look like it's not the murder weapon...
: Then why bother cleaning the oil? If they didn't want it to look suspicious, they would've discarded the hammer.
: You're pretty insightful, Baby Gangsta!
: B-Baby Gangsta...me!?
: ...

: Just so you all know...I was trying to test you guys... I thought...maybe you guys mistook the hammer for the weapon or something...
: ...It seems that was a waste of time.
: Then what was the real weapon used to murder Nekomaru?
: That's the problem...There wasn't anything else at the crime scene that looked like a potential weapon.
: Then...how about we look at it from a different angle? If it doesn't have oil on it, it's not the weapon... So whatever has oil on it must be the weapon, right?

The actual weapon has oil on it... But if it's something at the crime scene that had oil on it...

> The broken pillar

: The only thing with oil on it is that broken pillar.
: Then that pillar is the weapon! Coach Nekomaru got clobbered with that pillar!
: Nobody could withstand a blow from that pillar...
: Even if you used 100 percent of your muscle strength, it would be impossible to wield it as a weapon!
: Wh-Why...?
: We...tried to move it, right?

: Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh! *Huff puff...!* It's no use! It's barely budgin'!
: ...Didn't I tell you?

: Yeah...that pillar was pretty frickin' heavy...
: But there's one dude who could've lifted that pillar!
: Huh? Who are you talking about?

: Coach Nekomaru's robot body! With that dude's super strength, liftin' a pillar would be real easy!
: So he lifted the pillar...and then what? Did he use it to beat himself...?
: You mean...Nekomaru killed himself?
: Don't be stupid! He ain't the type to commit suicide!

: Then even if Nekomaru could've lifted that pillar, it has nothing to do with the case at all...
: ...

Music fades out.

: Well...I guess you're right...
: ...What the heck!?

But...it does bother me a little.

That word..."suicide".

: By the way, the fourth murder of the killing school life was apparently ruled a suicide.
: Huh...?

No...that shouldn't matter. There's no way Nekomaru would commit suicide...

: But that's a problem... If it's not the pillar, then there's no other weapon we can think of...
: Um... There may be a way to use the pillar as a weapon without lifting it...
: Huh? For reals!?
: Yes..."for reals."

: I see...so my gut was right after all...
: All right! It's up to you, Sonia! Prove that pillar was the murder weapon!
: Understood. Then I shall give it my all...

: Sonia, here I go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
'I am not some woman with flexible legs!' is a great line.

Souda still looking reeeaaaal suspicious here, but in fiction that should mean he's innocent. I think.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nekomaru might consider suicide, if he saw it as the only way to rescue his friends from starvation. On the other hand, in this case he was clearly murdered. There's no way he could have done everything by himself, and even then why make it look like a murder? It'd make no sense.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zoe posted:

'I am not some woman with flexible legs!' is a great line.

So is the followup "With legs like those, I could prolly do the splits real easy."

It's perfectly straddling the line between innuendo and innocence. :v:

Mikl posted:

Nekomaru might consider suicide, if he saw it as the only way to rescue his friends from starvation. On the other hand, in this case he was clearly murdered. There's no way he could have done everything by himself, and even then why make it look like a murder? It'd make no sense.

He could have done everything by himself since, as a robot, he probably doesn't need to sleep which gives him plenty of time to do things.

On the other hand he doesn't seem like the type to know how to disable the contact elevator by messing with it's safety.

On the other other hand he does have crazy Robot Senses.

On the other, other other hand why leave a perfectly good mallet there to confuse the scene of the crime? Although this assumes that someone else came along and messed with the crime scene to make it look like it was a murder so that people wouldn't think it was a suicide (or it could be a double bluff at that.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
akane's really bad at this detective thing but she's trying her hardest

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

EponymousMrYar posted:

On the other, other other hand why leave a perfectly good mallet there to confuse the scene of the crime?

This and the fact that he didn't make it blindingly obvious it was suicide in the first place is what confuses me. If they're not expecting it then they're looking for a murderer and if they guess that wrong, he's killed them all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What if its a suicide, by murder? The killer wants to be caught an executed to escape this rat trap.:tinfoil:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

For people considering picking up DR3 because of the great things said about it in this thread, fair warning: it sucks on the PC. It frequently ignores key presses, one mechanic tells you to press the wrong key, and I just ran into a bug where when I load a saved game I get the dialog box and an otherwise black screen.

I hope they fix it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Anecdotal but I also have it on PC and didn't encounter any of the problems there, but the key presses thing might simply be because I was using a 360 controller to play it. I'd still recommend holding off on playing it if you haven't finished DR2 on your own time because the references in it probably will spoil important aspects of DR2 Chapters 5 and 6 for you.

Agreen
May 16, 2009
I've been playing V3 on PC with mouse and keyboard and I've definitely noticed the ignored key presses. Haven't had any problems with being told the wrong button inputs, but I'm only on the first investigation.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Agreen posted:

I've been playing V3 on PC with mouse and keyboard and I've definitely noticed the ignored key presses. Haven't had any problems with being told the wrong button inputs, but I'm only on the first investigation.

It's during trials - there are minigames that require you to push wasd and show the prompts on the screen. Except that they swapped a and s.

The save issue was also during a trial - if you save halfway through the trial, make sure you don't overwrite your save from the start of the trial, because I don't know if there's a way to fix the black screen issue.

Some other PC keyboard complaints: sometimes when you're scrolling through options it'll go more than one spot per key press. Also, when you have to select something, the game is wildly inconsistent about what to press - enter, right click, and left click are all used. Oh, and the fast forward button is escape, because that's intuitive.

So it does seem like using a controller addresses most of the issues.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I gave up on using keyboard and mouse because even with my 360 controller unplugged it wouldn't tell me what the loving keyboard hotkeys were, it just gave me the controller controls.

I also had a glitch where my second save slot was broken until Steam redownloaded the game and I had to replace the cutscenes with shittier quality ones because apparently my computer is too weak to play MP4 files without audio delay.

But I don't have a PS4 or a Vita, so at least I can play it I guess. And the English voice acting is nice.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

I gave up on using keyboard and mouse because even with my 360 controller unplugged it wouldn't tell me what the loving keyboard hotkeys were, it just gave me the controller controls.

I also had a glitch where my second save slot was broken until Steam redownloaded the game and I had to replace the cutscenes with shittier quality ones because apparently my computer is too weak to play MP4 files without audio delay.

But I don't have a PS4 or a Vita, so at least I can play it I guess. And the English voice acting is nice.

Ah yes, getting it to show keyboard and mouse help is not obvious. If you have the game in Steam, then right click it in your steam library and pick Launch Configuration Tool and that'll give you something that lets you set the help it shows.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

akane's really bad at this detective thing but she's trying her hardest

Kaz isn't so good himself... But I can deal if his flailing leads to such delicious reactions such as this:

FPzero posted:

: Then let's start with something even Miss Sonia can understand: the weapon!
: Well...the weapon is obvious, right?
: What the heck, you guys...? The weapon...you can totally tell just by looking...

I really hope you're listening to the audio for this, because :allears: I don't even have to hear the JP audio to know exactly what Nagito is doing here: this very clipped "Ah?" meant to bring someone totally up short... it isn't exactly polite in any language, but in Japanese in particular it's the verbal equivalent of snapping your fingers directly into somebody's face, it's great.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Ya I don't think this is a suicide either, as there would be very little point in doing 90% of the sabotage that happens here if you were gonna commit suicide, unless someone else knew and was trying to stop you.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Qrr posted:

It's during trials - there are minigames that require you to push wasd and show the prompts on the screen. Except that they swapped a and s.

According to the Steam forums you can fix this for now by changing the following lines in the config file.
"push_s = key_s" to "push_s = key_a"
"push_a = key_a" to "push_a = key_s"

It only rebinds them for the part where the swap is, normal movement will still be fine.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

What if its a suicide, by murder? The killer wants to be caught an executed to escape this rat trap.:tinfoil:

I really can't agree with this reading at all, because if the killer wanted this to be a suicide then why would they think murdering someone else first was in any way a good idea? :psyduck: If this was supposed to be similar to DR1's case 4, then killing someone ruins the notion of this being a self-sacrifice to keep everyone alive. If they wanted to be useful, why not just take the grenades and rocket launcher in the Octagon and blow a loving hole in the wall so the others can escape?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

amigolupus posted:

I really can't agree with this reading at all, because if the killer wanted this to be a suicide then why would they think murdering someone else first was in any way a good idea? :psyduck: If this was supposed to be similar to DR1's case 4, then killing someone ruins the notion of this being a self-sacrifice to keep everyone alive. If they wanted to be useful, why not just take the grenades and rocket launcher in the Octagon and blow a loving hole in the wall so the others can escape?

Because that'd break Monokuma's rules and not only be suicide, but suicide that doesn't serve anyone (because Monokuma wouldn't count that towards feeding everyone else/getting them out of there.)

This way not only does it count it allows for the murderer to get out of the situation entirely by getting everyone else killed, which makes for an interesting difference from DR1's case 4.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Also, that was a dumb, joke, tinfoil hat theory. An actual suicide by murder would involve the perpetrator sitting there next to the body saying they done it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EponymousMrYar posted:

Because that'd break Monokuma's rules and not only be suicide, but suicide that doesn't serve anyone (because Monokuma wouldn't count that towards feeding everyone else/getting them out of there.)

This way not only does it count it allows for the murderer to get out of the situation entirely by getting everyone else killed, which makes for an interesting difference from DR1's case 4.

But if the murderer was already considering suicide to save everyone, why would they even care about following Monokuma's rules? Sakura didn't care about it and broke open a door to a room with critical plot information because she knew she was going to die anyway.

If they're still in Jabberwock Island, then if the killer had bothered to blow up the wall instead, the others could march out of the Funhouse and go back to the hotel and get some food. Yes, the one who broke the wall would be punished, but I don't recall a rule from Monokuma saying the rest have to spend the rest of their lives in the Funhouse so trying to forcibly drag them back there again would mean it's breaking its own rules.

I guess I'm just stuck on the idea that suicide = self-sacrifice here, and murdering someone else doesn't line upwith that. The story wanted us to think this case is similar to Chapter 4, and that was the main plot beat I remember from it.

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, that was a dumb, joke, tinfoil hat theory. An actual suicide by murder would involve the perpetrator sitting there next to the body saying they done it.

Yeah, this would've also been a good "gently caress you!" to Monokuma as well.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Would it be considered suicide if someone broke the rules knowing full well that they'd be killed as punishment? Though that'd imply Monokuma did something to make the trial "interesting" if so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We know from last game that a rules violation doesn't start a trial.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Well, it's possible that Mechamaru set up an obvious suicide to get everybody fed, and then somebody came in afterward and complicated matters.

Why, when everybody would die? Well, there is still that matter of the traitor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Still not buying that the traitor is necessarily hostile. They're allegedly with monomi who has good intentions even if her methods are wrong and her incompetence boundless.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: There is no need to lift that pillar!
: If the pillar was not lifted...
: Beating him with it is beyond a dream.
: What about tipping the pillar over!?
: They aimed right for his head and...bullseye!
: Even I could probably tip it over!
: Considering the pillar's weight...
: It probably exerted a ton of force...
: Sonia, you go girl!
: Hehe...I'm gettin' hella excited!

The killer murdered Nekomaru by tipping over that pillar...? Is that really it?

: Normally I try to hint at the answer here but I'm really not exactly sure how to justify the right combination of bullet and weak point. The answer is that the fragments of the pillar found under Nekomaru's body and the lack of fragments on top of his body mean that it didn't crush him. Except I imagine there could be fragments under his body even if the pillar tipped over on him. The more realistic explanation here is the fact that the pillar didn't bisect him, since considering its weight I doubt it hit him and bounced off. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much.

> Shoot "tipping the pillar over" with "Pillar Fragments"

: If Nekomaru was crushed by the pillar, then there should've been fragments on top of his body.
: Huh? Fragments...?

: The pillar fragments were scattered beneath Nekomaru's body, but there weren't any on top of his body... If the pillar had been tipped over and crushed him, the fragments should've been on top of his body instead.

: I briefly considered that too...but it's probably not what happened.
: I-I see... That was entirely...my bad...

: If they didn't tip it over...then how did the killer murder Nekomaru with that pillar?
: How much longer are you gonna focus on the pillar!? Just let it go already!
: Th-There's no way I can let it go... I'm positive that...Nekomaru was killed by that pillar...
: ...Why are you so certain about that?
: I just...have a feeling...
: A feeling, huh? That's just your instincts...

: ...But we can't say for sure that that instinct is wrong, can we?

...Huh?

: There's another way to use that pillar to kill. You guys just haven't noticed it...
: I-Is that true!?
: Then I shall ask you...what way is that?
: *sigh*

: You guys...are the same as usual... You're unable to clear a path to the future with your own powers, so you just stand there and falter...
: What a waste of talent! And you all intend to fight the Future Foundation? You make me laugh!
: Wh-What did you say...!?
: Regardless...it's not like I want to die with the rest of you, so I guess I should lend a hand.

: Hey Nagito... What the hell happened to you? How come you're not talking like a lunatic anymore!?
: I've learned a valuable lesson: ignorance is by far the greatest shame...
: ...Huh? What do you mean?

: Who cares!? Just tell us how the pillar was used to kill!
: Well...first of all, the pillar itself is not enough. But when combined with a specific item, there's a way it could be possible.
: ...A specific item?

: Of course...the Ultimate Weapon.
: U-Ultimate Weapon!?
: Isn't that...the thing you get when you clear the Final Dead Room?

: So...Nagito knows what the Ultimate Weapon is?
: Of course I know...but I'm pretty sure everyone else has seen it, you know?
: We've seen it...?
: That's right...you've seen it clearly.

: Because I, the one who has claimed dominion over evil, am the Ultimate Weapon!
: I am he who cuts the insolent catalyst which flows out from the chaos with the sword of victory...
: It's only fitting that I deserve to be called the Ultimate Weapon...!
: No, you are far greater than the Ultimate Weapon, since you wield your Four Dark Devas of Destruction.
: Hn...! I-I see...!
: I don't know why...but I'm not liking this...

: Cut the bullshit and say it clearly...! What is the Ultimate Weapon?
: In order to clarify that, we first need to solve the secret of the Funhouse.
: Huh? The secret of the Funhouse?
: You still don't realize it? Jeez, get it together... You're supposed to be the "Symbols of Hope", aren't you?
: Ah, I forgot... Except for Hajime, of course.
: ...Except for Hajime?
: If we make it out of this...I'll explain it to you guys.

: Anyway...we must first clarify the secret of the Funhouse, right?
: Then I think it must have something to do with the structure of the Funhouse!

: Strawberry House leads to Strawberry Tower, and Grape House leads to Grape Tower... But in actuality, they are both the same building, and both houses are linked to the central tower.

: It is undeniable that such a sweeeeet building structure is the secret of the Funhouse!
: ...Man, not only does that make perfect sense, but Miss Sonia's beautiful voice is just so soothing!
: Fo' sho! I shall leave this matter to your discretion!

The two houses are connected to the tower in the middle... I thought that at first too, but... I ended up finding proof that completely contradicts that...

: In truth, Strawberry Tower and Grape Tower...
: ...are actually the exact same place!
: So that's the secret of the Funhouse.
: Is that really it...?
: It's weird to say they're both the same place.
: I mean the walls are different colors.
: And the designs on the floor are also different!
: We've already settled this problem!
: Give it ten years before you argue with Miss Sonia!

This whole time, we've been thinking the two towers are the same building, but... If that was the only mystery, there's no way Nagito would mention it here.

: When we moved from Grape Tower to Strawberry Tower during the Investigation, didn't everything in the tower stay in the same position relative to the door? If they were the same place, shouldn't his body be closer to the door we came in on the Strawberry House side?

> Shoot "exact same place" with "Strange Feeling in Tower"

: Both of those towers... Are they really the same place?
: Wh-Why are you asking that now...? Do you harbor a grudge because my kingdom destroyed your homeland?
: Hajime, I won't tolerate any sort of rebellion!
: I mean...doesn't it seem strange?

: When we went to Grape Tower from Grape Hall, Nekomaru's body was in front of the door to Strawberry Hall.

: But when we went to Strawberry Tower from Strawberry Hall, his body was in front of the door to Grape Hall.

: It's...probably some kind of trick like...the floor rotating 180 degrees or something...
: If it is, then see!? That means it could've passed as the exact same place, right!?
: ...If so, then what? Do you seriously think such a simple answer is the correct answer?
: Does that mean he's wrong...?
: ...Oops, I guess I've said too much.
: If the floor didn't rotate, then that means we need to think about the structure of the building again...

: Bow down!

: Then how about this? Somebody moved Nekomaru's body!
: While we were moving from Grape Tower to Strawberry Tower...?
: But we should've all been together during that time. Even if they tried to move the body inside the tower--
: Then Monokuma did it!

: While we were moving, Monokuma quickly moved things around!
: But Nekomaru's body wasn't the only thing moved. Are you saying the broken pillar was moved, too?
: If it is too heavy to carry...let them roll it...

: Just like if there is no bread, let them eat cake!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Because he's a monobear" is never an invalid reason, but aside from being vague, Monobear doesn't really help the killer, does he?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

"Because he's a monobear" is never an invalid reason, but aside from being vague, Monobear doesn't really help the killer, does he?

There is absolutely no way in hell the body was moved, but it's still kinda fun to see Sonia get all hard headed about it for some reason :)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

He might remove a bit of evidence if it makes the killer too obvious, but other than that, no.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
I just discovered this thread today. So glad this game is getting LPed again. I really prefer to see LPs of games like these, personally. All the banter in the threads are just as good as the LP, usually. By the way, am I crazy, or is...

FPzero posted:

: ...It's like it doesn't belong with a building like this... I keep thinking about it and it feels unnatural.
: It's like...a comic book originally about baseball becoming a side-scrolling action game... It's unnatural like that.

... An OFF reference? It's a side thing that happens in the game where the protagonist reads a comic book about a boxing superhero taking on a baseball themed supervillain, and it turns into a beat-em-up. Mind that OFF is a turn based RPG, so the sudden genre shift is bizarre and unsettling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know we have a lot of silly characters in Danganronpa, but Sonia is pretty great.

And I love how the characters are actually preferring Komaeda being crazy over being a jerk.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know we have a lot of silly characters in Danganronpa, but Sonia is pretty great.

And I love how the characters are actually preferring Komaeda being crazy over being a jerk.

Well, before he was a crazy guy who continually praised them. Now he's pointing out that they're all a bunch of morons.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Well, before he was a crazy guy who continually praised them. Now he's pointing out that they're all a bunch of morons.

Makes you wonder what he found in those student profiles... I imagine it's somehow connected to how Mikan with her memories was a psycho, perhaps all of them would be very different people if they had their memories back?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Stephen9001 posted:

Makes you wonder what he found in those student profiles... I imagine it's somehow connected to how Mikan with her memories was a psycho, perhaps all of them would be very different people if they had their memories back?

Well, if we were all like Mikan, we won't really be good at bringing hope.

But who knows what he found out. Nagito, telling us stuff? Please. He's probably going to troll us out of spite since he didn't like whatever he read.

He definitely doesn't think much of Hajime, since we have no ultimate talent.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mecha_Face posted:

... An OFF reference? It's a side thing that happens in the game where the protagonist reads a comic book about a boxing superhero taking on a baseball themed supervillain, and it turns into a beat-em-up. Mind that OFF is a turn based RPG, so the sudden genre shift is bizarre and unsettling.

It seems like it could be, but then it's also vague enough to be something else. Since the comic isn't really a 'baseball' comic in OFF. I also wonder how well-known OFF was in Japan for it to gain a reference in this game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sonia :allears:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

:same:, absolutely. One of the best parts of this new cast is how wonderfully willing they are to try the role of detective, even if their capacity for such roles is... lacking. (Sonia is one of the better ones at it, though, as I recall...) It is the best.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rebuttal Showdown really did wonders for making the trials feel more dynamic and giving the other characters a chance to have their input. I've grown to like them quite a bit.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this a while back. The thing I edited out in the DRV3 demo was the fact that Hajime is apparently not an Ultimate. That was the only spoiler in the demo, but considering we hadn't learned that from Nagito yet I figured I had to edit it out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Ultimate Weapon being information on the building's layout would make sense, especially given how much the trial depends on understanding the layout in order to understand the murder.

If Nagito's view from the window was a view of the building as a whole, it'd add up.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Gundham, is this REALLY the time to go off on one of your tangents? :rolleyes:

I've started actually watching the videos for the last few trials, really drives home the change in Nagito, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Gundham needs to be in the Ghostbusters franchise, just for a conversation with Gozer. I wonder if she would buy that his Hamsters are Gods?

• Locked thread