Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, that's just the kinda thing you'd actually expect to happen in that situation. But which version is cooler? Running up a wall to flip over the front of an incoming truck, or that truck just kinda getting wedged between two walls?

I know which one is funnier. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn't think this episode was great. Also Disney have to have messed with the episode order, because why are we getting so much Webby over the other characters so early?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They did, there was an interview posted that mentioned the lack of Huey focused episode is because of that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I went back and looked at the old DuckTales Magica DeSpell to see what ideas they'd take from that, and I'd forgotten that her raven familiar was, in the cartoon, her brother, shapeshifted. Poe DeSpell. I mention this only because with Lena being a niece, Poe might actually come up again.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

This episode was the kind of predictable fun that the average old Ducktales episode was. Despite this, the Magica reveal was pretty wild. I initially thought Lena was Magica in a disguise or a modernized 2017 witch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like that one of the triplets, I suspect Huey, offered to give up his place on the kayak to Webby. It's a cute little moment, establishing they do care about including her in their silly kid adventures and aren't just locking her out without realising it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Phylodox posted:

I thought it was obvious: Webby teaching Lena the value of family ironically convinced her to side with her evil aunt, which is going to bite them in the tail feathers later.

I'm not sure about that. It sounded like Lena was a double agent from the beginning, and that fits with how she acted. Assuming she's been watching the main kids for a while, she waited for the first moment when one of them was alone and outside and threw a set of bottles that drew Webby right over. And instead of going to a normal rave or club, she brought Webby to the junkyard and messed with the Beagle Boys; if Lena had been watching for a while she'd know Ma Beagle has a grudge against Webby. This gave her the opportunity to do some high-stakes bonding as Webby shows off her best skills and then drive a wedge between her and the triplets. She might have even gotten captured on purpose to give the night a good climax.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm not sure about that. It sounded like Lena was a double agent from the beginning, and that fits with how she acted. Assuming she's been watching the main kids for a while, she waited for the first moment when one of them was alone and outside and threw a set of bottles that drew Webby right over. And instead of going to a normal rave or club, she brought Webby to the junkyard and messed with the Beagle Boys; if Lena had been watching for a while she'd know Ma Beagle has a grudge against Webby. This gave her the opportunity to do some high-stakes bonding as Webby shows off her best skills and then drive a wedge between her and the triplets. She might have even gotten captured on purpose to give the night a good climax.

Except her last line was "Okay, Aunt Magika, I'm in." That implies that she wasn't in before. And her whole "Family sucks" attitude throughout the episode.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Except her last line was "Okay, Aunt Magika, I'm in." That implies that she wasn't in before. And her whole "Family sucks" attitude throughout the episode.

I'm sure it was "I'm in" as in "I have successfully infiltrated the McDuck family"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm sure it was "I'm in" as in "I have successfully infiltrated the McDuck family"

That's certainly the reading I'd take from it. If she wasn't willing to help Magica before I think it'd be important to establish that, and that the reason she decided differently was because of Webby's actions and affection for her own family. That, or at least not have her carry around a magic amulet that lets your communicate with your aunt at all times and instead, having to go find it because she'd left that decision behind and was changing her mind.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alexeythegreat posted:

Again, that ignores the through line of the whole episode: Lena being down on family because they suck and abandon you, and Webby convincing her that family is good and worthwhile, immediately followed by Lena reuniting with her family, Magika.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/914322874147545089
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/914324235287269376
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/914326465767813121
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/914330727902101504
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/914331680759988224

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 1, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Again, that ignores the through line of the whole episode: Lena being down on family because they suck and abandon you, and Webby convincing her that family is good and worthwhile, immediately followed by Lena reuniting with her family, Magika.

It may be that she's not fond of her immediate family while she's close with her aunt. It also may be the case of her being involved with Magica out of duress.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems kind of obvious in hindsight that Lena was most likely just playing Webby from the start so she could get access to the mansion. It's possible she could end up switching sides later on though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

It's worth noting that while it can definitely be held as the through line for the episode, Lena herself never has that revelation. Her opinion of the boys and family never changes from "they're more trouble than they're worth", and the only revelation she has at the climax of the episode is "all family does is fight"; a revelation she uses to manipulate the Beagle Boys. She does help Webby rescue the triplets, but it doesn't seem to be because her opinion on the value of family itself has changed, so much as because she's Webby's friend.

Larryb posted:

It seems kind of obvious in hindsight that Lena was most likely just playing Webby from the start so she could get access to the mansion. It's possible she could end up switching sides later on though.

I'd say it's almost guaranteed that she'll end up helping Webby and in doing so defeating Magica de Spell. Probably as part of the season one climax, given that Magica herself seems to be set up as a long running story line. Which I'm happy about, because this episode did a pretty good job showing Webby needs at least one friend of her own and can't be just friends with the triplets. Also that having a jaded but well traveled friend balances Webby's naivety and overly specific skills.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just to check, counting the double-long pilot as one episode there have been four so far?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Just to check, counting the double-long pilot as one episode there have been four so far?

That's correct, yes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm catching up and the scene where Mrs Beakley quietly watches Donald causing a gas fire in the swimming pool was loving beautiful.

Donald Duck is my favorite cartoon character of all time and I love watching him lose his poo poo and/or gently caress things up spectacularly :allears:

I was honestly a bit sad that he didn't outright punch the Beagle Boys but even though the tone is different now they probably don't want any outright violence going on that isn't just light slapstick. He looked like he was going to deck the guy in the back of the head first before he got into that whole spinning around thing.

My only REAL complaint so far with the show is in this episode and I think it has something to do with the new order of the episodes. Its only been two episodes since the Beagle Boys got arrested and now they're all out, not to mention the new character just grated on me. Still, I like the plot hooks and the way this is building up to a reveal, much like the reveal at the end of the pilots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be funny if one of the episodes that was supposed to go between the last one and this one is about Ma Beagle breaking out of jail.

It'd fit in the Disney Afternoon tradition. Remember how most of Darkwing Duck's villains appeared before their own origin episodes? :D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be funny if one of the episodes that was supposed to go between the last one and this one is about Ma Beagle breaking out of jail.

It'd fit in the Disney Afternoon tradition. Remember how most of Darkwing Duck's villains appeared before their own origin episodes? :D

Yeah looking back it's amazing that Gargoyles managed to avoid that problem for the most part

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ma may have just been able to avoid going to jail.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did she even do anything incriminating in the episode? The audience is aware of her intentions, but cast in the show probably don't have much on her. Or any of her sons for that matter, since the most I can recall them doing is intimidating some employees.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The steadfast commitment to "Hi! I'm Webby!" is gold.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 2, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Did she even do anything incriminating in the episode? The audience is aware of her intentions, but cast in the show probably don't have much on her. Or any of her sons for that matter, since the most I can recall them doing is intimidating some employees.

They were first introduced tying up the driver of an armored car and passing up on that to kidnapping the kids.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Phylodox posted:

Or she was lying to get Webby to feel sympathetic towards her, making it easier to infiltrate the family?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Huey ep moved to December because it has snow in it so it was deemed a "Holiday ep".

That's so moronic it hurts. gently caress pacing and plotting, we need a holiday episode because...? :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Avalerion posted:

That's so moronic it hurts. gently caress pacing and plotting, we need a holiday episode because...? :psyduck:

Do not question the mind of Disney. He does not question yours, for you are insignificant to him.

That pacing may seem a bit weird, but they usually know what they're doing. As long a they don't do stupid stuff like using a character before the episode they are introduced.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

cant cook creole bream posted:

Do not question the mind of Disney. He does not question yours, for you are insignificant to him.

That pacing may seem a bit weird, but they usually know what they're doing. As long a they don't do stupid stuff like using a character before the episode they are introduced.

I hope that's the case. Angones seems to mostly be upset by the fact that the disrupted order messes with character focus and local vs. global flow is thrown off, so I hope that these re-arrangements aren't so blatantly bad that they casually include characters who haven't been formally introduced yet.

At the same time, I can see why he wouldn't want to blatantly piss of the people who write his meal ticket no matter how much they disrupt his episode order. I guess we'll find out shortly: apparently, the next episode we're about to see was scheduled to be the LAST episode of the half-season. So if Gladstone and Fenton are just randomly there in that episode without any formal introduction we'll know that Disney XD gives zero care to these sorts of things.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Weird order or not, I'm just glad the episodes are airing weekly as opposed to "here's some new ones, ok bye for 6 months".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Good Listener posted:

Weird order or not, I'm just glad the episodes are airing weekly as opposed to "here's some new ones, ok bye for 6 months".

For now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
How many episodes are we getting this season?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HIJK posted:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

HIJK posted:

21 normal half hour eps and two hour long specials (one of which was the premier)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Nice

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Pakled posted:

For now.

Honestly having 9 or 10 episodes queued up seems way more substantial than previous shows like Gravity Falls's schedule felt like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We are getting 1 episode a week till the end of October at least. Plus episode 104 the Huey episode has not aired yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 4, 2017

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

We are getting 1 episode a week till the end of October at least. Plus episode 104 the Huey episode has not aired yet.

I think they mentioned the Huey ep got pushed back to be the "Holiday" episode, so probably December.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DuckTales/status/916339469325914112

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Has the episode "Escape To/From Atlantis" actually aired yet? There seems to be some conflicting information on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fractalairduct posted:

Has the episode "Escape To/From Atlantis" actually aired yet? There seems to be some conflicting information on it.

Yes, my DVR recorded it earlier this week.