Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Two ..turkey? dinners tonight. Having a full cooperating squad of four to stick together and revive will get you pretty far. I think my favorite gun is that AK-47 looking burst rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndrewP posted:

Two ..turkey? dinners tonight. Having a full cooperating squad of four to stick together and revive will get you pretty far. I think my favorite gun is that AK-47 looking burst rifle.

Yeah, I prefer the AK-47/74 3-shot burst AR over the AR-15 looking rifle.

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks, i didn't know there were 4 assault rifles actually, how would you rank the others?

http://orcz.com/Fortnite_Battle_Royale:_Weapons

And semi auto sniper rifle vs bolt action sniper rifle?

My personal AR ranking preference is Scoped AR, AK 3-shot burst rifle, SCAR, then the AR-15. My favorite loadout to luck into is the Scoped AR, semi-auto handgun, auto shotty (for killing blows), nades, heals. I prefer the bolt action sniper rifle over the auto sniper, personally.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

I just recently started playing PUBG before this came out and haven't played any since. PUBG certainly has more depth but I've been really having a hard time playing it because of how unresponsive the movement feels. Fortnite's got a lot less certainty with regards to the gunplay, but it feels arcadey enough that I don't mind it the majority of the time. I've won 3 solo matches so far and a couple of top 5s and they've all been a blast. So far my favorite starting places are:

- The power plant west of Retail Row. Every time I've dropped in here I've been alone and get super well kitted by the time the first circle rolls around. Probably just RNG, but I usually don't need to move very far when I've been here, so I've been able to pick off folks moving from Retail Row or from the unnamed town to the south. One of my wins snowballed from a start here after finding a purple sniper rifle and setting up shop on the top level of the southernmost building here.
- The prison near Moisty Mire. Starting in the mire and heading there to clean up seems pretty effective too. it doesn't appear like a lot of people drop in the mire even though there's often great loot (tons of chests at the base of the trees in the middle).

The lake is probably my least favorite area, every time I go there it's because I have no better path to the circle and I inevitably get caught in the crossfire of multiple people camping the middle island/north buildings. Moving through the lake is probably the easiest way to die very quickly in this game, so you're kind of stuck with going around the edges which don't have much cover either.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Prison is becoming the FNBR equivalent of PUBG's school. There's tons and tons of loot, but the inside is a loving maze (because it's a jail lol) and there's almost always a squad or two that drops it in my experience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

uh oh pancho! posted:

(Landing spots)

We've been having success landing at the Moisty Mire. Lots of loot, usually far enough out of the way to be left alone. Just occasionally get screwed with the circle on the opposite corner.

I do nothing but die at the lake. gently caress the lake.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the toilet factory in the southern part of the island. I will usually land on the roof and either bust through with the pickaxe or go to the catwalks to make my way down and there's usually a loose gun laying around or a chest on the way to take out anyone who lands with you.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

New pve event starts up on Thursday
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/915214898929340416

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I've noticed a definite elevation in the average skill level as more people play the game. Early on I was able to play ultra aggressive because most players didn't seem to understand how absurdly OP third person is. Now the same tactics get me killed more often than not.

Also, I'm seeing a decent amount of cheaters as well. Everybody should be using shadowplay (or it's AMD equivalent) to clip cheaters and submit them to Epic.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

I've noticed a definite elevation in the average skill level as more people play the game. Early on I was able to play ultra aggressive because most players didn't seem to understand how absurdly OP third person is. Now the same tactics get me killed more often than not.

Also, I'm seeing a decent amount of cheaters as well. Everybody should be using shadowplay (or it's AMD equivalent) to clip cheaters and submit them to Epic.

Maybe I'd just been lucky and never noticed it/ran across any, but last night about 4 out of my 6 games or so ended up being dominated by cheaters. One of them we knew was coming a mile away because the killfeed the whole game was just his name slaughtering whole squads at once. He must have ended up with like 50 kills.

Good idea, though. I'd never really touched shadowplay but I might turn it on just for that. (for all the good it will do since it's free to just make a new account if they get banned)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is interesting.. so you build your base ....you yourself, your own base? perhaps in a instance, separate from the main game and the defense shield base, perhaps?, then in the MP mode you kind of get a copy of that base with you, that pop in the map next to the other guys bases? I am deciphering this correctly?

That would be kind of ... cool?, "Look how awesome my tier 3 metal base his" , friencompetitioning.

I guess the horde attack from random directions so each base get their time in the sun to prove the design is poo poo or good.

The rewards are weapons with spikes on them. Not very original, but is good to have variety.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

El Cid posted:

Maybe I'd just been lucky and never noticed it/ran across any, but last night about 4 out of my 6 games or so ended up being dominated by cheaters. One of them we knew was coming a mile away because the killfeed the whole game was just his name slaughtering whole squads at once. He must have ended up with like 50 kills.

Good idea, though. I'd never really touched shadowplay but I might turn it on just for that. (for all the good it will do since it's free to just make a new account if they get banned)

You can trim shadowplay clips with the photos app on windows 10 as well if you don't want to submit a 5 minute clip (default shadowplay clip length)

Also, every time I submit a clip, I'm going to add a line to ban by IP. Otherwise what you said will happen.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
How are they cheating? It just spectating with another account, or is it more?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Skandranon posted:

How are they cheating? It just spectating with another account, or is it more?

Any combination of no spread/bloom on guns, locking on targets for headshots, wall hacks (if you spectate them you can see their crosshair snapping to a target they can't see). I've seen a "sophisticated" one that only does body shots, but since TTK in this game is so low, you're still dead, while making their cheats a little less obvious.

Right now, the cheaters I've seen haven't made any real attempts at hiding them. Although I'm sure there have been some that did hide it well enough.

Most of the time they are easy to pick out because they hit you (and any targets after you) with 4 or 5 shots at very long ranges with the AR or pistol. This is basically impossible given the uncontrollable randomness of the recoil. Also, the ones that have killed me don't even bother to loot. They insta kill you with a pistol and continue moving on even if I have golden guns on me.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, picked this up for PS4. Is squad any better than solo? Hit me up, PSN: GremLegend

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Grem posted:

So, picked this up for PS4. Is squad any better than solo? Hit me up, PSN: GremLegend

My favorite of the three modes is duos (hopefully releasing earlier in the week).

Squads leaves the loot spread to thin and sometimes your less than good teammate picks up gear you'd be more effective with.

Solos are much more fun to me in this game then they are in PUBG

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you report them, you can really hurt them in their wallet... oh wait.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you report them, you can really hurt them in their wallet... oh wait.

It's not about hurting them in the wallet. It's about removing them from the game. Only works if they ban by IP though.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is PVE going to be F2P as well or is it only just going to be for battle royale?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

Is PVE going to be F2P as well or is it only just going to be for battle royale?

PvE is going F2P on full release sometime next year.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Save the World mode is supposed to go f2p sometime next year

Efb

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The worst thing about F2P shooters is they highly dissuade me from buying anything from the microtransaction shop. I really like having a paywall to enter to dissuade cheating. If a shooter isn't going to put at least a $20 paywall on their game then I'm not spending money on it because it's guaranteed cheaters. Wild guess I'm not the only one. F2P games have a heavy "riff-raff" detractor.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Save the World mode

You mean grind and llama box mode. Honestly I wish my founder's pack did more for me at least cosmetically in the battle royale mode because I'll never touch the PvE again with a 10 ft pole.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 3, 2017

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Should we have a separate thread for Battle Royale?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agoat posted:

Should we have a separate thread for Battle Royale?

Nah. This thread doesn't move all that fast.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I'm honestly surprised how slow this thread moves given the popularity of Fortnite BR. I'm betting there are a lot of PUBG goons that play it but won't admit it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The best part of this game is the not looting apartments for 10 minutes to gear up. The game doesn't encouraging loot goblin-ing like PUBG does. Even if you land remotely in a squad match you're almost guaranteed a firefight within the first 5 minutes of the game.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TJChap2840 posted:

It's not about hurting them in the wallet. It's about removing them from the game. Only works if they ban by IP though.

Banning by IP doesn't work. What decade are you stuck in? Getting a new IP assigned to your modem is trivial.
A hardware-id ban at least keeps people from unplugging their modem for a while to evade a ban.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Banning by IP doesn't work. What decade are you stuck in? Getting a new IP assigned to your modem is trivial.
A hardware-id ban at least keeps people from unplugging their modem for a while to evade a ban.

Ya. This argument falls flat because it is still a huge deterrent to most of the little kids that buy cheats. Obviously anybody who REALLY wants to cheat will do it no matter what. Banning by IP is still far and away better than the alternative of not.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 4, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

puberty worked me over posted:

The best part of this game is the not looting apartments for 10 minutes to gear up. The game doesn't encouraging loot goblin-ing like PUBG does. Even if you land remotely in a squad match you're almost guaranteed a firefight within the first 5 minutes of the game.

If you cant find a firefight within 5 minutes of PUBG you're doing it wrong. Drop on the military base near the barracks or anywhere at school and you'll be shooting people as soon as you find a gun. Or as soon as you punch someone to death and steal theirs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Great Beer posted:

If you cant find a firefight within 5 minutes of PUBG you're doing it wrong. Drop on the military base near the barracks or anywhere at school and you'll be shooting people as soon as you find a gun. Or as soon as you punch someone to death and steal theirs.

Mmm yes and the person who gets the better gear instantly wins. Or you die to a boatload of early game lag. Or you don't see the tiny little loot model on the roof of the building. Or you just land in an unlucky way. Then enjoy running for 15 minutes if you don't find a vehicle. The action starts in PUBG feel fun 1 out of 15 times and the non-action starts are boring as hell. The starting towns in Fortnite are way better designed than school, apts, milbase, prison, etc. Also really nice to not get 1 shot by a jump punch from a dude standing 10 feet to my left. You can rapidly change your horizontal positioning using the gliders in Fortnite to re-position if someone already landed where you wanted to. That's extremely hard to do in PUBG. The quality of life and fun to time played ratio in Fortnite is far and away higher than PUBG.

PUBG's starts are atrocious and Pochinki is the only mildly tolerable landing zone I've seen in 400+ games of PUBG.

Not to mention PUBG has no enemy spectator system, doesn't show where you got shot from, no building, wonky rear end weapon balance and gunplay, and no explosive weapons. Oh and Fortnite has the sense to not give you freelook in third person mode meaning flanks are actually useful.

The best part of PUBG is the $30 paywall. The most interesting thing about the spectator system in Fortnite is discovering how many people are walling/botting.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 4, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've been playing BR since a day after it launched and luckily haven't run into a cheater in any of my games.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Just had a game where i killed 7 people, i was in the final 3. 2nd to last guy tries to sneak behind me in my fort, but i hear him coming a mile away. I counter flank him. I start shooting him before he even sees me. I'm at 100% health + 50% shields. I don't think he even had shields. I hit him 3 times before he even starts shooting at me from 10 feet away. I have the legendary SCAR. He returns fire. I die. How the gently caress... are there headshots in this game? I am completely baffled as to how i lost that fight.+

Edit: and to make matters worse, it looks like he didn't even know how to pick up my loot, he was standing over it at 44 health... i have med kids and bandages on my body, but it looks like he's brand new. He spends 20 seconds over my loot picking nothing up, then running to fight the last guy who isn't anywhere near him... at 44 health still.

Edit 2: Maybe he did have shields too, i don't think he should have had 44 health if i hit him 3 times. Still baffled though.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 4, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mister Fister posted:

are there headshots in this game?

Yes

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Well drat, it felt like he nailed me twice and i died, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :(

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played a ton of PUBG and was trying to leaderboard but this game is just way less annoying in general and way more fun. Everyone who plays seems real into battling and the game doesn't devolve into a campfest in buildings or laying prone in a field. You don't get screwed over by the circle and have to run for ten minutes only to die to a bluezone sniper, you don't have to sift through buildings forever trying to get a gun that will let you compete with someone who happens to find a 4x, and there's enough loot where you never feel like you get screwed over by your drop. I only have three real complaints with this game, but otherwise it's a real enjoyable time.

1. Desync is an issue, I'll have people short-range teleport through doors and shoot me and I'll never hear their gun go off
2. Auto-shotguns seem a little too strong compared to drop frequency and makes guns like the SMG feel useless
3. I wish you got more materials, using the pickaxe is super loud and it's a big risk to get more materials

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This game is pretty fun, I wish games didn't take so long to start. We've got 98 people, let's goooooo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

prom candy posted:

This game is pretty fun, I wish games didn't take so long to start. We've got 98 people, let's goooooo.

Good news:
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/battle-royale/royale-with-cheese/71320-fortnite-battle-royale-community-faq

quote:

We’re working to improve the feel of combat, controls, weapons, and movement. We’re also working to streamline inventory management, decrease time spent waiting in the lobby, and improve bus timing (so choosing when to jump has more strategy)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

I think that everything you hate about PUBG is what I like about it. I wish Fortnite had more loot goblin-ing in the beginning and a more usable interface.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Nice! This game is so much more fun than PUBG for solo play.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Just had a game where i killed 7 people, i was in the final 3. 2nd to last guy tries to sneak behind me in my fort, but i hear him coming a mile away. I counter flank him. I start shooting him before he even sees me. I'm at 100% health + 50% shields. I don't think he even had shields. I hit him 3 times before he even starts shooting at me from 10 feet away. I have the legendary SCAR. He returns fire. I die. How the gently caress... are there headshots in this game? I am completely baffled as to how i lost that fight.+

Edit: and to make matters worse, it looks like he didn't even know how to pick up my loot, he was standing over it at 44 health... i have med kids and bandages on my body, but it looks like he's brand new. He spends 20 seconds over my loot picking nothing up, then running to fight the last guy who isn't anywhere near him... at 44 health still.

Edit 2: Maybe he did have shields too, i don't think he should have had 44 health if i hit him 3 times. Still baffled though.

He probably hit you in the head with a revolver or shotgun. Revolvers do insane damage, and shotgun headshots at close range are devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Having fun with this so far, my brother and I took turns playing solo while hanging out. The fun kind of came to an end when we had several games in a row with blatant aim hacks though. When someone kills me I usually assume they just got the drop on me or had better aim but these guys were tracking people through walls perfectly, or their aim would snap to someone they hadn't even seen yet.

I don't get it. It has to be such a hollow and meaningless victory.

• Locked thread