Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hmm, IPC to match Skylake (asynchronous infinity fabric, other low hanging fruit) and frequency increases by 7-10% through process improvements? Yes please.

Meanwhile Intel is probably planning to rebadge X299 to X499 with a new and great 24 core gaming CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hmm wonder when AMD is going to pcie gen4. Anyone seen anything on that? Probably not before Epyc2 at the earliest most likely.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Pinnacle sounds like a tennis ball brand or something. I wonder if they'll hit 4500mhz

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't count on a minor die shrink doing much. AMD's roadmap is claiming minor performance improvements and if I was them I would do that by getting the internal transport clock decoupled from the ram clock which will provide a decent boost for people who aren't messing with the finnicky memory problems. This is going to be primarily about increasing yields and maybe a slight TDP reduction.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

priznat posted:

Hmm wonder when AMD is going to pcie gen4. Anyone seen anything on that? Probably not before Epyc2 at the earliest most likely.

Was on the leaked slides.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
This is a really packed schedule for AMD, with the recent certification for Vega 11 hinting at a 3 month release. So RR mobile in like, the next couple of months, Pinnacle and Vega refresh from January to March, April low power Pinnacle and desktop RR, enterprise in May, Vega 20 for enterprise in like September, Rome in November, Navi or 7nm Vega in March and Zen 2 desktop by May.

Kind means AMD is always in the news with a new product while we still get to hear about 10nm delays from Intel. That's got to hurt.

priznat posted:

7nm in late 2018, early 2019 with EPYC "Rome".

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Don't count on a minor die shrink doing much. AMD's roadmap is claiming minor performance improvements and if I was them I would do that by getting the internal transport clock decoupled from the ram clock which will provide a decent boost for people who aren't messing with the finnicky memory problems. This is going to be primarily about increasing yields and maybe a slight TDP reduction.

15% density increase, 10% performance improvement over TSMC 16nm. Depending on 14nmLPP vs 16nmFF+ that might be a noticeable improvement, but we have no way to gauge that IIRC, and if you assume basically equal performance than this might push maximum clocks to 4.4-4.6Ghz, enough to compete with Coffeelake on a per core basis. Agreed on the async IF though, not only low hanging fruit but it'd immediately make all benchmarks with Pinnacle look real good.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, that's awesome news. Coffee Lake looks like a real nothingburger with no upgrade options. Getting an 8C consumer-level Ryzen with just the option of upgrading to another AM4 CPU would be pretty dang swell.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe not, Coffee Lake is requiring that you get a Z370 motherboard now, no Z270 compatability.

That's a double-edged sword, though.

http://wccftech.com/intel-arbitrarily-breaks-coffee-lake-compatibility-z270-force-users-buy-new-z370-motherboards/

Salt now, so you're not salty later.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was that for me? I meant I'd prefer (Ry)zen 2's AM4 to CL 370/390's no path of upgrading.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think Z390, at least, is supposed to work with Ice Lake (the next Intel arch after Coffee Lake). Dunno about Z370.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think of one thing that has probably kept everyone here at least appreciative of AMD even in its worst years, is loving not having to upgrade motherboards every time a new goddamn chip comes out.

That said, requiring Coffee Lake to be Z370 or higher means better upgradability for those CPUs in the future... even if it means that you'll need to buy Z370 board for a shitbox i3.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think of one thing that has probably kept everyone here at least appreciative of AMD even in its worst years, is loving not having to upgrade motherboards every time a new goddamn chip comes out.

And what good was that really when you had the same performance for the chips for 7 years straight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, I think that went without saying. =E

Say what you will, it was absolutely nice to be able to drop in a Phenom II X4 940 into an AM2+ mobo as a shot in the arm to a system that had been running on an old Athlon and keep it running for a while longer.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything particularly wrong with the Trinity series of CPUs? My friend has an HP pre-built with an A8 - 5500, was going to help him upgrade with a new power supply, RAM, and video card so he can actually game on it.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 28, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SlayVus posted:

Is there anything particularly wrong with the Trinity series of CPUs? My friend has an HP pre-built with an A8 - 5500, was going to help him upgrade with a new power supply, RAM, and video card so he can actually game on it.

Besides being Construction cores, not particularly? Like, they are the weakest APU cores IIRC, and if the board is FM2+ maybe invest in a Steamroller/Excavator Athlon since he's getting a dedicated card. It really depends on what you're making the full setup like and what the full budget, if there is one, is also like.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Besides being Construction cores, not particularly? Like, they are the weakest APU cores IIRC, and if the board is FM2+ maybe invest in a Steamroller/Excavator Athlon since he's getting a dedicated card. It really depends on what you're making the full setup like and what the full budget, if there is one, is also like.

The board only sports up to like an a10-5800k. It's a custom MSI board for an HP pre-built. $200 is the upper limit really on what he would want to spend on upgrading. I'm giving him a 970 for free.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SlayVus posted:

The board only sports up to like an a10-5800k. It's a custom MSI board for an HP pre-built. $200 is the upper limit really on what he would want to spend on upgrading. I'm giving him a 970 for free.

An A8-5500 is going to choke the poo poo out of that 970. Yeesh though and FM2 board, maybe invest in a Sandy/Ivy/Haswell board and CPU for them? Better than spending it on RAM IMHO.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($120.78 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H81M-DG4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $192.75

You might be able to troll through specific sites or Ebay to find a cheaper solution.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

FaustianQ posted:

An A8-5500 is going to choke the poo poo out of that 970. Yeesh though and FM2 board, maybe invest in a Sandy/Ivy/Haswell board and CPU for them? Better than spending it on RAM IMHO.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($120.78 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H81M-DG4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $192.75

You might be able to troll through specific sites or Ebay to find a cheaper solution.

You don't need to go all the way back to socket 1150 if you want to use DDR3. There are some socket 1151 boards that support it.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - B150M-K D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $204.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-28 12:44 EDT-0400

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Adams posted:

You don't need to go all the way back to socket 1150 if you want to use DDR3. There are some socket 1151 boards that support it.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $204.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-28 12:44 EDT-0400

That probably requires you have an earlier generation CPU on hand in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version from March this year.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Measly Twerp posted:

That probably requires you have an earlier generation CPU on hand in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version from March this year.

Oh yeah. Well, you could make it a Pentium G4520 then. That would still leave you with an upgrade path that goes all that way up to a 7700k, and you'd still be running on your old DDR3 memory. DDR4 memory hardly even performs better than DDR3 on Skylake, I doubt you would even notice the difference.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/7

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

G4500 is 20$ cheaper than the 4520 because why I dunno, but yea WAAAAY better idea than mine.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.46 @ Amazon)
Total: $179.43

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Love the left sidebar here

NVMe raid driver is out http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/NVMe-RAID-Support-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-platform.aspx

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

But does it cost 300 dollar and requires a dongle?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

G4500 is 20$ cheaper than the 4520 because why I dunno, but yea WAAAAY better idea than mine.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.46 @ Amazon)
Total: $179.43

no hyperthreading

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wargames posted:

But does it cost 300 dollar and requires a dongle?

Not sure if srs or sideways jab at Intel. It's free.

PCPer says perfect scaling across reads and 5.38x writes at six drives.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/AMD-Releases-NVMe-RAID-Support-X399-Threadripper-Platform

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 2, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

no hyperthreading

G4520 doesn't have hyperthreading either ???

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

G4520 doesn't have hyperthreading either ???
oh, thought it did. pentium/celeron naming schemes are loving nonsensical

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Would the driver do anything for single NVMe performance?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Paul Otellini died.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Threadripper was just too much for his heart to handle, I guess. RIP.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
Silicon Lottery indeed.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Ryzen update!

I found the reason for system instability - a rinky-dink TV tuner stick with impossibly lovely drivers. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. I tossed the nasty fucker, bought me a good quality tuner and haven't had a single blowout since! :)

This is my post screen:

With the latest BIOS update, the ram runs at 3333MHz while the processor is modestly overclocked to 3600MHz. It can go faster, but I didn't want to pressure it too much, give it some headroom etc. Now what's confusing me is that BIOS reports two keyboards and two mice attached, and I have no idea why. Obviously I only have one keyb and one mouse attached, so why this? Probably a BIOS bug which yet needs to be sorted out, and I guess that with the next update I'll be able to bump the RAM speed even further - I got 3600MHz sticks after all.

In all, I'm extremely happy with the system! :)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Hmmm maybe I should also try to OC my TR. I have the RAM for it. It is already blazingly fast though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hmmm maybe I should also try to OC my TR. I have the RAM for it. It is already blazingly fast though.

Might as well. It's probably good for 4Ghz.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Counterpoint - don't. It's so fast already you won't notice the difference after a day or two, and overclocking disables all the standard power management stuff and will make the chip use somewhat more power at idle and a LOT more under load.

In 2 years when you start getting the itch to upgrade is when you overclock.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Since then does overclocking inherently disable the power management features? You can increase the max multiplier while leaving all the power management features on (despite what a bunch of lovely online guides will tell you). You're not going to see any appreciable consumption difference until you start increasing the vcore voltage offset and really trying to squeeze those last couple increments out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Since then does overclocking inherently disable the power management features? You can increase the max multiplier while leaving all the power management features on (despite what a bunch of lovely online guides will tell you). You're not going to see any appreciable consumption difference until you start increasing the vcore voltage offset and really trying to squeeze those last couple increments out.

Overclocking automatically disables Cool'N'Quiet on most boards because CNQ is not very compatible with multiplier increases. MSI boards even with the most recent BIOS will reflect correct clock speed in the BIOS, but refuse to clock above 1.5 or 2.8ghz in Windows because of these bugs. Most other boards have similar bugs (and have had these bugs for months and months).

Unless you're crazy lucky, Ryzen overclocks are almost always dependent upon upping voltage. You can probably get an extra 2-400mhz at stock voltage, but beyond that you will be increasing vcore. If your BIOS doesn't allow vcore offsets (70% of current boards don't allow offset), increasing vcore disables additional power-saving features.

Finally, if you have Threadripper odds are you need it for intensive photo, video, audio work, compiling, encoding or other such things. It's already fast as hell for those tasks, and overclocking slightly too far can cause instability that can be difficult to detect and cause subtle problems that will mess with all of those workflows.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 4, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Well shame on me for expecting rough feature parity on the AMD side with what Intel was doing in their reference designs 6 years ago.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Well shame on me for expecting rough feature parity on the AMD side with what Intel was doing in their reference designs 6 years ago.

It's not all bad. Yes, increasing multiplier on Ryzen locks the processor at that multi, but Ryzen has built-in power-saving routines that continue to work in spite of this.

On my setup (1600) if I leave the processor at stock multi + voltage, it will idle at 1.5ghz and sit right at 28-30C at rest. If I increase the multi, CNQ is disabled (which is necessary because my board is one that suffers from CNQ bugs at non-stock multis). The 1600 will never downlock anymore, but uses only marginally more energy at idle, and idle temperatures increase to 32-40C because of it (dependent upon how far I've pushed the multi).

Really, the only reason Speedstep is so good is because Intel sat on their thumbs for like 6 years and barely iterated the speed of their chips past Sandy Bridge. They DID iterate the hell out of power efficiency (especially at less than full load) during that time, though at load all Intel chips from Sandy Bridge on are all equally power hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kind of indicates that yields are so good that AMD is willing to cut good silicon to improve the volume of their biggest sellers (1600 and 1600X), and that they'd make more money that way as well.