Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

GODDAMN.

-There's a couple times where you can tell Shannon is on the verge of tears. Not knocking him for that. But man, was he fired up.

Hell I'm glad for it. gently caress people who knock others when getting emotional while speaking truth to subjects that hit them so personally and are also so important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I really like Jason Benetti when he calls White Sox games and this is pretty cool

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/913380548910788610

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's incredible to me how much more enjoyable Stone is with Bennetti, it's like he's been let out of jail. Bennetti owns, and it's going to be a lot more fun to watch Sox games when they get really good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guys I can't get enough of Tony Romo.

edit: I've seen ~serious football guys~ on twitter say "I'm not an X fan, I'm now a fan of whatever game Tony's calling." So I guess I'm not alone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've only watched one Romo broadcast (Packers-Bengals) and I don't get the hype. In fact he was kind of annoying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's likeable in a goofy way, but more importantly he actually says some intelligent things which most color guys...do not do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

He's likeable in a goofy way, but more importantly he actually says some intelligent things which most color guys...do not do.

He's also rubbing off on Nantz, which is cool and good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He seems to actually enjoy watching football which is always nice. And he's recently removed so he actually understands how modern NFL offenses and defenses work and can explain it fairly well. I think Romo is pretty smart and likable too but it's also a sign that they should be adding new blood to the announcer ranks more often so they can get guys who actually know what they're talking about and don't have to just rely on cliche.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
He's more enthusiastic than I think most people are used to outside of Gruden. He needs to be just a smidge quicker as I've noticed a couple times where Nantz shoulda been talking about the current play while Tony was still explaining the last one, but that'll come in time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For a guy who's a month into it, he's good. He has rough spots for sure and he's a little too much like a guy watching football in a bar or something right now, but his insight is tremendous and I'll take a guy who's a bit unpolished but knows his poo poo over someone like loving Dierdorf or Phil Simms any day.

I feel like the value of a color guy is in pointing out subtle things you might not see rather than "that's a screen pass right there, Jim"

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The fact Twitter turns into a non-stop Romo fellatio contest during games where he is in the booth is pretty loving annoying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

trem_two posted:

The fact Twitter turns into a non-stop Romo fellatio contest during games where he is in the booth is pretty loving annoying.

how dare people talk about how much they like his commentary.

the nerve.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sportsgenius86 posted:

For a guy who's a month into it, he's good. He has rough spots for sure and he's a little too much like a guy watching football in a bar or something right now, but his insight is tremendous and I'll take a guy who's a bit unpolished but knows his poo poo over someone like loving Dierdorf or Phil Simms any day.

I feel like the value of a color guy is in pointing out subtle things you might not see rather than "that's a screen pass right there, Jim"

Your post somewhat triggered me and my googling can't find it...Where does one find the announcers broken down in past years for the NFL? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Edit: Should add, per team. Because it seems like we got a helluva lot of Dierdorf and Simms. Hence the original question.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

GobiasIndustries posted:

He's more enthusiastic than I think most people are used to outside of Gruden. He needs to be just a smidge quicker as I've noticed a couple times where Nantz shoulda been talking about the current play while Tony was still explaining the last one, but that'll come in time.

I remember watching a circle of five 200lb+ senior citizens on TV loudly agreeing that the key to winning this game was playing "good old fashioned tackle football." They didn't really elaborate on that any. Trying hard and tackling would win the game.

also seen a bunch of similar scenes regarding the strategy being "punch them in the mouth"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvanTH posted:

also seen a bunch of similar scenes regarding the strategy being "punch them in the mouth"

I made a Rex Ryan joke before remembering he actually calls games now so lol at me I guess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Your post somewhat triggered me and my googling can't find it...Where does one find the announcers broken down in past years for the NFL? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Edit: Should add, per team. Because it seems like we got a helluva lot of Dierdorf and Simms. Hence the original question.

The national TV announcer pairings is more an a-team, b-team, c-team, etc. situation for the networks. CBS isn't sending their best pair of announcers to Cleveland very often for obvious reasons.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

algebra testes posted:

I made a Rex Ryan joke before remembering he actually calls games now so lol at me I guess.

to me, one of the more interesting parts of Hard Knocks and similar shows is the contrast they provide to the whole the "motivating head coach speech" from movies and film, where you got a proud leader expressing exactly what needs to be said, compared to the reality of some tubby fucker hollering and stumbling over a few permutations of the same two or three cuss words. Barely removed at all from the standard nightmare high school locker room.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm fairly sure that this is what TV executives think the general public wants. Relatable and all that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/imJSanch/status/914881122542088192

Man, Shannon Sharpe is all over my twitter feed and I'm wondering do I need to watch this show??

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Stick to the twitter vids that filter out Bayless.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/chargers-fifth-watched-game-los-angeles-weekend.html

https://twitter.com/FredNBCLA/status/914856308146360320

AA posted:

Do you see what game ranks fourth place, ahead of Chargers-Eagles? That would be the Dolphins-Saints game that took place in London, England – a game that was aired in Los Angeles at 6:30 AM local time.

Let that sink in. The Chargers lost in local ratings to a game played before much of the population even got out of bed.

:laffo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The crowds in LA have been embarrassing to the point where they are covering seats to make the stadium look smaller.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The crowds in LA have been embarrassing to the point where they are covering seats to make the stadium look smaller.

It gets even loving funnier on that front:

https://twitter.com/thejackwang/status/909479788644937728

Deadspin posted:

Unfortunately for Spanos, the FAA has now reportedly denied the [temporary flight restriction] request, meaning disgruntled San Diego fans and fans of high comedy can now fly taunting banners over StubHub Center just as often as existing air traffic laws will otherwise permit. Most embarrassing of all is the FAA’s reasoning for declining to issue the restriction, per FOX 5 San Diego:

However, the FAA only grants TFRs for stadiums and arenas that hold 30,000 or more, and since the StubHub Center capacity is under 30,000 — the Chargers announced a sellout at 25,386 during their game with the Kansas City Chiefs last Sunday — the FAA will not grant the TFR.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
As someone in LA, I think I heard more about how LA needs a football team more than I hear about the two teams in LA now. I think the problem was that there was always the hidden understanding that the team should be the Raiders. Only lovely white people liked the Rams. It'd be like if the Lakers & Clippers moved away and then 20 years later they said, "Congratulations! The Clippers and also the Kings are moving to LA!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cash Monet posted:

Stick to the twitter vids that filter out Bayless.

Bayless is still an obnoxious troll but I guess credit to him that he seems to keep it limited to mostly stuff like "actually LeBron is bad at basketball" and knows to get out of Shannon's way when it comes to serious stuff rather than going full Clay Travis (at least that's the impression I get from clips I see, I am not actually going to watch an hour of Skip Bayless yelling at me). That borders on being progressive by Fox standards

Alexander Hamilton posted:

As someone in LA, I think I heard more about how LA needs a football team more than I hear about the two teams in LA now. I think the problem was that there was always the hidden understanding that the team should be the Raiders. Only lovely white people liked the Rams. It'd be like if the Lakers & Clippers moved away and then 20 years later they said, "Congratulations! The Clippers and also the Kings are moving to LA!"

I think the Rams may ultimately be okay but yeah no one here gave a poo poo about the Chargers and that hasn't changed. The Raiders were definitely by far the team with the best chance of succeeding, they still seem to be the most popular team in the area, and I wouldn't be shocked if their Vegas games draw a decent number of fans from the IE.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sounds like the NFL may consider telling the Chargers to move back to SD. Although the Chargers have obviously shot themselves in the foot a few ways here. Moving to LA without a real stadium to play in and being forced to play in a 30,000 seat venue was stupid. Now if they move back, will San Diego actually come out? I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Chargers fan in SD. It's like your boyfriend/girlfriend breaking up with you because they want that hot piece they met at the bar, and then a year later they're begging for you to take them back.

When are the Chargers supposed to move into the new stadium? I heard it could be a couple years, and a loving soccer stadium was the best they could do?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sounds like the NFL may consider telling the Chargers to move back to SD. Although the Chargers have obviously shot themselves in the foot a few ways here. Moving to LA without a real stadium to play in and being forced to play in a 30,000 seat venue was stupid. Now if they move back, will San Diego actually come out? I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Chargers fan in SD. It's like your boyfriend/girlfriend breaking up with you because they want that hot piece they met at the bar, and then a year later they're begging for you to take them back.

When are the Chargers supposed to move into the new stadium? I heard it could be a couple years, and a loving soccer stadium was the best they could do?

They're gonna share the Rams stadium but yeah it'll be at least one more season. There aren't really any modern NFL type stadiums in the area. Like they could have played in the coliseum with the Rams or in rose bowl I guess but they're both old and the chargers wouldn't come close to filling them. They can't even fill the glorified Sun Belt stadium they play in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope the NFL forces the Chargers back to SD and makes them pay another relocation fee

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
move the chargers to

*spins wheel*

Fresno!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Move them to St Louis

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

They can't even fill the glorified Sun Belt stadium they play in.

According to a thing I looked up Stubhub is smaller than 7 of 11 Sun Belt Stadiums. Er, before they started tarping over seats.

Jesus.

I guess that's not up to date since the Sun Belt has 12 teams.

e: Coastal Carolina was the missing one I think (I had no idea they'd moved up to FBS). Their stadium is somehow smaller than the Kibbie Dome, but they're going to expand it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 3, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

They're gonna share the Rams stadium but yeah it'll be at least one more season. There aren't really any modern NFL type stadiums in the area. Like they could have played in the coliseum with the Rams or in rose bowl I guess but they're both old and the chargers wouldn't come close to filling them. They can't even fill the glorified Sun Belt stadium they play in.

Rose Bowl told them to gently caress off, once again proving why the Rose Bowl is the best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In FS1's latest screaming of "LOOK HOW EDGY WE ARE", they're putting hot takes about the Knicks on and in NYC subway cars

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

I mean in this case they're just being accurate.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i mentioned this in the gdt but the chargers game was not on the main fox in la but a co-owned station that nobody usually watches

surprised anyone found it

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

I think the Rams may ultimately be okay but yeah no one here gave a poo poo about the Chargers and that hasn't changed. The Raiders were definitely by far the team with the best chance of succeeding, they still seem to be the most popular team in the area, and I wouldn't be shocked if their Vegas games draw a decent number of fans from the IE.

I'm not from LA but I'd think to the extent anyone there gives a poo poo about the Chargers, it'd be antagonistic since they and the Raiders have been rivals since they both became things.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They love the Chargers so much in Yuma, Arizona. Maybe if Yuma grows to its projections (note: these are extremely hilarious projections that will never come true) they can fill a 27,000 seat stadium there in a decade.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rick posted:

They love the Chargers so much in Yuma, Arizona. Maybe if Yuma grows to its projections (note: these are extremely hilarious projections that will never come true) they can fill a 27,000 seat stadium there in a decade.

What are the projections? 150k? 200k? Either way I'm laughing at the thought of the Yuma Chargers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dango Bango posted:

What are the projections? 150k? 200k? Either way I'm laughing at the thought of the Yuma Chargers.

I actually think 150k is perfectly realistic, maybe even 200k, but when I worked for a behavioral health place, our funder had us expand there because were talking half a million in ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Please note that they are having to do this in a stadium with a seating capacity of 27,000 that was built for a Major League Soccer team.