Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

senrath posted:

Also there have to be at least, I dunno, five of us who enjoyed Mummies Alive!

I'm a 10th level Egyptsu master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

GimpInBlack posted:

Awesome! This sounds like a really promising list. Might I also humbly suggest adding some guidelines for grouping NPC unit actions for time-saving? A way to handle things like "okay, these 4 V.C. are going to suppress the squad while these other four move around here and throw grenades" or "all six of the firebase's howitzers fire on the enemy position" with just a couple of rolls would speed play. (It would also give a baseline for potentially scaling up to larger engagements.)

Yeah, this super needs to happen. I have some ideas for how that might work but it'll need a lot of testing to make sure it doesn't skew the numbers too much.

I've personally just started collecting buckets of different-coloured d6s, which probably isn't a practical solution.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theironjef posted:

When you say enjoyed, you mean "Was aware of and enjoy knowing it existed" right? Because the show actually was sub-TMNT garbage town bullshit.
I'm not saying I'd revisit it now, but I liked it at the time.

Hostile V posted:

God drat it EM, you know just how much to share to force me to buy the drat book, gently caress.
This is my gift. This is my curse.

Kurieg posted:

Wait can I be a half angel half demon?
Sure can! Of course, your staring powers will overlap since they're almost identical between the two Lineages, but that just makes you more powerful. :black101: For extra tragicness you can take combinations of Strengths and Weaknesses that make you weaker by your own conflicting nature (take the "Allergy: Holy Weapons" and "Allergy: Unholy Weapons" at the same time; you have to Risk every time you make fire weapons!)

The Lone Badger posted:

Can both my Lineages be the same? Can i be half-werewolf and half-werewolf?

Nessus posted:

And are there mechanical differences between being the childe of two half-werewolfs, or someone who has a werewolf on both sides of the family?
The only real limit on character creation is that you can't pick the same Lineage twice, so no. But why go full werewolf when you can be half-werewolf/half-demon?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can, however, pick half-human, which is basically 'you only get one lineage, and only one lineage's worth of Discord.'

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GimpInBlack posted:

The book includes a decent selection of vehicles, including the expected jeeps, Hueys (both "Slick" and "Hog"--transport/medevac and armored gunship, respectively), a few varieties of FWF tanks, a military bulldozer (babysitting one of these while it clears jungle around a firebase--or to set up a new firebase--is a great mission), and... the M50 Ontos. Essentially 6 large recoilless rifles on a tracked chassis, it was designed as a tank-killer but was primarily used as infantry support on account of there not being enough enemy tanks.

I had one of these as a kid. I'm pretty sure it came with an exclusive Cover Girl action figure.

This game has rules for anti-personnel beehive rounds, doesn't it? Because I can totally see all six of those 106mm recoilless rifles being brought to bear and insta-killing a Unit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Futurama as a reference/inspiration for Starfinger isn't the dumbest idea on paper; it draws on the same sci-fi cliches that the game is, something they can expect most of their audience to be familiar with, and has a lot of entertaining ideas to work with.

We'll, Starfinger doesn't share the same themes, tone, style, or structure as Futurama, but they both involve space and aliens, so yeah, pretty much interchangeable. Makes sense.

Granted, the "Inspirational Media" list is so broad that- well, we'll get there.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Wish I'd been reading GimpInBlack's PATROL review from the start, I'm really digging it and hope someone runs it at some point.

Also, I recognize each of the characters in the squad except Ratcatcher. I can't place the reference at all, what's the inspiration there?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Wish I'd been reading GimpInBlack's PATROL review from the start, I'm really digging it and hope someone runs it at some point.

Also, I recognize each of the characters in the squad except Ratcatcher. I can't place the reference at all, what's the inspiration there?

Since his last name is "Sigmar", I'm guessing he's supposed to be a Warhammer reference.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

His dog ain't small but it sure as heck is vicious

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Young Freud posted:

This game has rules for anti-personnel beehive rounds, doesn't it? Because I can totally see all six of those 106mm recoilless rifles being brought to bear and insta-killing a Unit.

Yup! The 106mm rifles on the Ontos are classed as Large Recoilless Rifles by the game, which fire Small shells (yeah, it's a little weird.) Small beehive shells add +2 to the attack roll and inflict 1d6 damage per Hit. If you assume an average trooper with 7 Proficiency and a relevant Skill, that's an average of 3 successes per shot, which depending on Range is anywhere from 1-3 Hits per shot. Smart play is to also fire the medium MG as a ranging shot for -1 Difficulty--Medium range that's roughly 12 Hits on the enemy unit, each dealing 1d6 Injury.

EDIT: I am a dummy and forgot that the Ontos also has a crew slot for a Loader, who can take the Fire Assist action. That gives the gunner an additional +3 to attack and, for every attack, can spend 1 ammo to make a second attack. The Ontos carries 15 shells, so... yeah. For a full volley, add about one average Hit per attack and double the number of attacks. You're gonna be rolling a lot of dice, is what I'm saying.

Davin Valkri posted:

Since his last name is "Sigmar", I'm guessing he's supposed to be a Warhammer reference.

Yeah, in Warhammer Fantasy, arguably the most well-known starting Profession is the ratcatcher, whose starting equipment included "a small but vicious dog."

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Yeah, in Warhammer Fantasy, arguably the most well-known starting Profession is the ratcatcher, whose starting equipment included "a small but vicious dog."
That makes sense.

I was wondering if you were still doing that contest based on the Serial Numbers; if so, do the Easter eggs use all six numbers?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That makes sense.

I was wondering if you were still doing that contest based on the Serial Numbers; if so, do the Easter eggs use all six numbers?

I am still doing the contest, and yes, all of the easter eggs use all six digits.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The only one of those I was able to figure out is that Castle's six digit number is the issue and month and year he premiered in comics. That one's a freebie for everyone else trying to crack that nut. I will also say the answer isn't hex-based colors.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

I am still doing the contest, and yes, all of the easter eggs use all six digits.
I have them all with one caveat: should Ferret Face's SN be 15092939 instead of 15102939?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I have them all with one caveat: should Ferret Face's SN be 15092939 instead of 15102939?

I am deeply shamed. Yes, it should.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

In that case:

Dutch, 12040806 - The Black Lagoon anime started airing on April 8, 2006 (04/08/06)
Radar, 17012570 - The MASH movie was released January 25, 1970 (01/25/70)
Ferret Face, 15092939 - Larry Linville's (who played Frank Burns on the MASH TV show) birth date is September 29, 1939 (09/29/39)
Alien, 31055426 - 055 is LV in roman numerals, LV-426 is the planet Aliens is set on
Ratcatcher, 24862051 - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1e published 1986, catalog number GW2051
Punisher, 12129274 - First appeared in The Amazing Spider Man #129, February 1974 (2/74)

EDIT: I can't type properly.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2017

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

In that case:

Dutch, 12040806 - The Black Lagoon anime started airing on April 8, 2006 (04/08/06)
Radar, 17012570 - The MASH movie was released January 25, 1970 (01/25/70)
Ferret Face, 15092939 - Larry Linville's birthdate is September 29, 1939 (09/29/39)
Alien, 31055426 - 055 is LV in roman numerals, LV-426 is the planet Aliens is set on
Ratcatcher, 24862051 - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1e published 1986, catalog number GW2051
Punisher, 12129274 - First appeared in The Amazing Spider Man #129, February 1974 (2/74)

EDIT: I can't type properly.

100% correct! Congratulations Comrade. I really thought the Warhammer one would stump people. Let me know your DTRPG account email, and I'll get you your PDF.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

drat, yeah, I couldn't figure out the Warhammer one. Nicely done.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

100% correct! Congratulations Comrade. I really thought the Warhammer one would stump people. Let me know your DTRPG account email, and I'll get you your PDF.
The funny thing is, I guessed it was the catalog number right away... but when I tried to confirm it, I couldn't find a listing of the catalog numbers or spot it on images of the cover. Of course Wikipedia had it in the end.

DTRPG is gorbash.kazdar(AT)gmail.com. Thanks so much!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The funny thing is, I guessed it was the catalog number right away... but when I tried to confirm it, I couldn't find a listing of the catalog numbers or spot it on images of the cover. Of course Wikipedia had it in the end.

DTRPG is gorbash.kazdar(AT)gmail.com. Thanks so much!

Sent! Happy patrolling!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was impressive. I only got half of Vasquez's.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

Yup! The 106mm rifles on the Ontos are classed as Large Recoilless Rifles by the game, which fire Small shells (yeah, it's a little weird.) Small beehive shells add +2 to the attack roll and inflict 1d6 damage per Hit. If you assume an average trooper with 7 Proficiency and a relevant Skill, that's an average of 3 successes per shot, which depending on Range is anywhere from 1-3 Hits per shot. Smart play is to also fire the medium MG as a ranging shot for -1 Difficulty--Medium range that's roughly 12 Hits on the enemy unit, each dealing 1d6 Injury.

EDIT: I am a dummy and forgot that the Ontos also has a crew slot for a Loader, who can take the Fire Assist action. That gives the gunner an additional +3 to attack and, for every attack, can spend 1 ammo to make a second attack. The Ontos carries 15 shells, so... yeah. For a full volley, add about one average Hit per attack and double the number of attacks. You're gonna be rolling a lot of dice, is what I'm saying.

This is correct, rules as written, though it should be noted that if you want to fire a second attack with the cannons, the loader needs to be physically standing behind the tank with the hatches open, because you can't reload it from the inside. Had I done that properly, the Ontos loader should have been effectively classed as a passenger with a note that they should get out and help load when the vehicle parks.

I'll probably change that in Revised so you can only assist fire on a single attack though, because that's ridiculous. The Ontos' guns took a long time to load because they were awkwardly placed and because you had to fish all the shells out from the inside, so typically they would park it somewhere safe, everyone would help load it, and then you'd load up, drive up, fire, and back away again to load. The shells inside the tank were actually treated as something of an emergency reserve; most of the time, they would try to reload off a truck if they could.

As you can imagine, this was devastating in places like Hue, where they could just drive behind a building to load before rolling out and pulling six high-explosive shells through a wall. They were also wonderful on defense, where you could drive it hull-down into a firing position, pop the back hatch, and treat it like a multi-shot field gun.

Cynically, the Ontos was designed with the Cold War expectation that they would probably never get to reload anyway in their intended context, which is to say, fighting an infinite number of Soviet tanks in Germany...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:v:but did you include rules for the Davy Crockett recoilless rifle and that Soviet nuclear artillery?
you are completely insane in the best way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I don't know much about Vietnam, but just a teensy bit of background reading for Godlike taught me the importance of artillery in American warfare.

I, uh, also didn't know that my great-uncle did commo for a AAA division until his funeral a few months ago. No wonder he worked for the telephone company after he left the Army.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

:v:but did you include rules for the Davy Crockett recoilless rifle and that Soviet nuclear artillery?
you are completely insane in the best way.
I didn't, but I did consider it, and I had rules written up for it. I left them out ultimately because while I had a really good ruleset for characters suffering radiation poisoning (I found a US army manual from 1961(?) which was all about how long soldiers were expected to function while suffering from acute radiation poisoning, and what could be done to get the most out of them before they died) it was very complicated and would add a radiation status effect bar to the main sheet, which I felt was tonally a problem. So I resolved to keep it for an inevitable Cold War Gone Hot expansion, along with rules about nuclear decontamination and a guide for digging in to survive a tactical nuclear strike (it's actually quite doable, depending on your definition of survival).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Can't wait for When the Wind Blows: The Roleplaying Game

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Goddamnit! And here I was trying to think about a good title involving the Tsar bomba, because no one ever did.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Can't wait for When the Wind Blows: The Roleplaying Game

I mean, basically. There's so much interesting (which is to say, loving horrifying) stuff about atomic warfare, especially our attitudes towards it in the early Cold War, it really does deserve its own book.

Though the 60s are hardly the most terrifying time in regards to treatment of atomic weaponry. I mean, we actually transported and stored atomic weapons in South Vietnam, to be cracked out if Red China decided to go for round two with the US army, but... before the invention of the thermonuclear device and the subsequent reorganization of the US nuclear arsenal, the US Army just wanted to treat atomic weapons as bigger conventional explosives. We all laugh at the Davy Crockett now, but it was produced in the same era that the B-36 was being prepared as a nuclear carpet bomber, and it was seriously expected that the future of warfare lay in a primarily-atomic arsenal and armies racing to capture territory before they started pissing blood and their bone marrow died. A serious emotional examination of the human costs associated with strategies which categorized soldiers as time units by exposure could be really powerful.

Though I need to write some uplifting poo poo about magical girls or star trek futures first. gently caress, I done made myself depressed.

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 3, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So how much do you think it'd be to get the All Quiet On The Eastern Front license

e: also, what kind of magical girls

(please don't say megucas, I need me some actual earnest magical girl poo poo)

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

So how much do you think it'd be to get the All Quiet On The Eastern Front license

e: also, what kind of magical girls

(please don't say megucas, I need me some actual earnest magical girl poo poo)

I already did a World War 1 expansion! I focused it on trench raiding because I realized mostly people probably wouldn't be interested in a game where you spent two weeks trying to sleep in the bottom of a muddy hole while rolling for a random chance for your trench section to be exploded.

(poo poo no it's straight up Sailor Moon in this piece. You choose your powers by customizing your costume!!!!!)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

open_sketchbook posted:

This is correct, rules as written, though it should be noted that if you want to fire a second attack with the cannons, the loader needs to be physically standing behind the tank with the hatches open, because you can't reload it from the inside. Had I done that properly, the Ontos loader should have been effectively classed as a passenger with a note that they should get out and help load when the vehicle parks.

I'll probably change that in Revised so you can only assist fire on a single attack though, because that's ridiculous. The Ontos' guns took a long time to load because they were awkwardly placed and because you had to fish all the shells out from the inside, so typically they would park it somewhere safe, everyone would help load it, and then you'd load up, drive up, fire, and back away again to load. The shells inside the tank were actually treated as something of an emergency reserve; most of the time, they would try to reload off a truck if they could.

Oh jeez, I'm a double dummy--I totally misread the reload rules on the Ontos as restocking the onboard shells, not reloading after each shot--but of course recoilless rifles don't have a feed mechanism. And Fire Assist is a Regular Action, which I also overlooked, so you can only do it once per Turn already.

So yeah, my original ballpark for firing a full volley from the Ontos was correct, except that one of the gunner's shots can benefit from a +3 for the assistance.

I'm a little more surprised that Beehive shells don't increase the number of Hits produced per success--seems like shredding more people woud be a goal of antipersonnel rounds, but I bow to your vastly superior research on the topic. :)

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

Oh jeez, I'm a double dummy--I totally misread the reload rules on the Ontos as restocking the onboard shells, not reloading after each shot--but of course recoilless rifles don't have a feed mechanism. And Fire Assist is a Regular Action, which I also overlooked, so you can only do it once per Turn already.

So yeah, my original ballpark for firing a full volley from the Ontos was correct, except that one of the gunner's shots can benefit from a +3 for the assistance.

I'm a little more surprised that Beehive shells don't increase the number of Hits produced per success--seems like shredding more people woud be a goal of antipersonnel rounds, but I bow to your vastly superior research on the topic. :)

The specific advantage of a beehive round is the fact you can fire it flat, which is supremely useful against a mobile enemy force at close range. This is just ballistics; when the enemy is close, you have to make more dramatic adjustments to how your gun is laid in for proportionally smaller changing in range, and you can't load a gun and adjust it's trajectory at the same time, so you'll end up spending a lot of time trying desperately to wheel your gun down while the enemy crawls directly up your rear end in a top hat. With a beehive shell, you can just point your gun mostly at incoming enemy troops and shoot, and it'll probably work out. It also allows guns to be used inside their dead zone with regular rounds; you don't even have to worry about accidentally catching your own shrapnel in the teeth if you shoot really short!

That's why I went with a bonus to attack; it represents how much easier it is to use the weapon in that way to lay shots out. Considering how rare attack bonuses are on artillery guns, that's actually pretty huge.

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 3, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Apparently the Marines loved the Ontos despite its flaws. It was light enough to cross a pontoon bridge and go almost anywhere, even being used to drag trees up to free other tanks, and it was just as resilient against small arms fire as any armored vehicle.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

By the by, what was official and unofficial policy about people abandoning their early M16 and picking up an AK?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

By the by, what was official and unofficial policy about people abandoning their early M16 and picking up an AK?

I think it was "don't do it, because you'll sound like an enemy firing position and get shot by your own people."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

open_sketchbook posted:

The specific advantage of a beehive round is the fact you can fire it flat, which is supremely useful against a mobile enemy force at close range. This is just ballistics; when the enemy is close, you have to make more dramatic adjustments to how your gun is laid in for proportionally smaller changing in range, and you can't load a gun and adjust it's trajectory at the same time, so you'll end up spending a lot of time trying desperately to wheel your gun down while the enemy crawls directly up your rear end in a top hat. With a beehive shell, you can just point your gun mostly at incoming enemy troops and shoot, and it'll probably work out. It also allows guns to be used inside their dead zone with regular rounds; you don't even have to worry about accidentally catching your own shrapnel in the teeth if you shoot really short!

That's why I went with a bonus to attack; it represents how much easier it is to use the weapon in that way to lay shots out. Considering how rare attack bonuses are on artillery guns, that's actually pretty huge.

Ohhhhh, so by changing the Bombard attack to a Blast attack when fired from an artillery piece it removes the minimum range requirement? That makes sense. And yeah, that is hugely useful for artillery, not so much for a direct-fire piece like a recoilless rifle. That's what I get for thinking abstract game design vs. actual historical usage.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

open_sketchbook posted:

Though the 60s are hardly the most terrifying time in regards to treatment of atomic weaponry. I mean, we actually transported and stored atomic weapons in South Vietnam, to be cracked out if Red China decided to go for round two with the US army, but... before the invention of the thermonuclear device and the subsequent reorganization of the US nuclear arsenal, the US Army just wanted to treat atomic weapons as bigger conventional explosives. We all laugh at the Davy Crockett now, but it was produced in the same era that the B-36 was being prepared as a nuclear carpet bomber, and it was seriously expected that the future of warfare lay in a primarily-atomic arsenal and armies racing to capture territory before they started pissing blood and their bone marrow died. A serious emotional examination of the human costs associated with strategies which categorized soldiers as time units by exposure could be really powerful.

The pentomic division concept was absolute madness. Nuclear-tipped 40kTon artillery shells and "Honest John" rocket artillery with your choice of 30kTon nuclear warheads or sarin gas warheads in every single division. In fact, the whole reason the Soviets developed the BMP-1, thus driving the development of the M2 Bradley, was the belief that the battlefield would have too much radiation/biological weapons/poison gas for foot soldiers to function at all. So they need an environmentally sealed vehicle to allow any of their infantry to function.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

open_sketchbook posted:

I mean, basically. There's so much interesting (which is to say, loving horrifying) stuff about atomic warfare, especially our attitudes towards it in the early Cold War, it really does deserve its own book.

To a certain extent the folks making the plans in the early 50s weren't completely wrong about seeing atomic bombs as just bigger explosives. The generals of the era were WW2 veterans and were keenly aware of just how much damage a country could take and keep fighting. As devastating as the first generation of atomic bombs were, even an all out nuclear exchange would probably not have knocked out the major combatants in those days. The Soviet Union had already responded to that level of devastation by grinding its opponent into dust. Plus bomb production was still a fairly slow process. A nuclear only knockout blow was unlikely, so despite naming the US naming its nuclear attack plan Sunday Punch, any new war was likely to be a long one. That doesn't reduce the horror of it - frankly, to me it increases it because the nuclear exchange is just phase one of a 50s era World War 3, to be followed by a recapitulation of the drive to Berlin, except now with radiation hazards and punctuated by multi-kiloton blasts as new bombs became available on a one-at-a-time basis.

open_sketchbook posted:

Though I need to write some uplifting poo poo about magical girls or star trek futures first. gently caress, I done made myself depressed.
Maybe a game about sports in the over top manga style of something like Eyeshield 21? In game mechanic terms that wouldn't be too far off from the mechanics for the platoon.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Officially? loving stupid, don't do it.

Unofficially? Depended heavily on your unit and circumstances. For the most part, if it was really a problem, you still wanted to use some other piece of American kit, because its not like there were huge reserves of AK ammo floating around; most Viet Cong were lucky to have a full clip themselves, considering their ammo was mostly smuggled in loose among satchels of rice. The M14 retained a reputation as the "professional's gun" for quite a while in the first years of the war, and a lot of troops went out of their way to get grease guns or even M1s instead.

Most of time, when American troops carried AKs, it wasn't like they had replaced their service weapons with them. It was usually to supplement their kit; they'd sling a half-loaded AK they took off somebody as a backup weapon in case they had a jam in combat, and likely discard it the moment they rotated. This attitude of supplementing your M16 just in case was far more common than the stories of actually getting rid of them; soldiers would try to carry pistols, SMGs, trophy guns, or continue the American tradition of the backup shotgun.

Really, the M16 wasn't that bad; it was a conflation of some really hosed up circumstances when it was first issued that lead to its incredibly poor reputation, and once the issues were ironed out and soldiers were better trained on it, it proved quite popular. I mean, they're still using it (more or less) for a reason.

The Viet Cong had very mixed opinions of the gun. A lot of them considered it junk because it was impossible to keep operational in the conditions they had to keep their weapons in as a guerrilla force, which is understandable, but considering they were often armed with cast-off Imperial Japanese guns and Chinese knock-offs of outdated Soviet weapons, they still took what they could get, and M16 ammo was generally a lot more available in South Vietnam than Eastern Bloc stuff. It was a lot easier to pay off some corrupt ARVN guys for their M16 ammo than to wait for the NVA to move 7.62 up through Laos and maaaaybe get it to your unit, if they even knew you existed.

GimpInBlack posted:

Ohhhhh, so by changing the Bombard attack to a Blast attack when fired from an artillery piece it removes the minimum range requirement? That makes sense. And yeah, that is hugely useful for artillery, not so much for a direct-fire piece like a recoilless rifle. That's what I get for thinking abstract game design vs. actual historical usage.
Yeah! I should probably make a note to make that more clear in the future.

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

open_sketchbook posted:

I already did a World War 1 expansion! I focused it on trench raiding because I realized mostly people probably wouldn't be interested in a game where you spent two weeks trying to sleep in the bottom of a muddy hole while rolling for a random chance for your trench section to be exploded.

(poo poo no it's straight up Sailor Moon in this piece. You choose your powers by customizing your costume!!!!!)

good, excellent

my personal bag is some of the more obscure and goofier stuff - Doll Licca, to some extent Otogi-Joshi Akazukin tho the non-magical dude in that is awful - along with stuff like the Precures, Pretear, Nurse Angel Ririka. Super Pig/Tonde Buurin, of course.

oh and the dub version of Tokyo Mew Mew, which is way better than the subs because it is just completely stupid and funny, rather than merely stupid

I kind of wonder if anyone could even begin to make a game of the less, uh, combative magical girl stuff, like Creamy Mami and the other Studio Pierrot shows, or the lion's share of Sugar Sugar Rune.

I actually have a strong argument for Creamy Mami being stealth Gnosticism in magical girl form, but no one cares except me.