Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Why did they save every rejection letter to be able to weigh them? Does this man just have a sack of sadness that he reaches into to pull out a rejection letter to read and feel bad about?

Stephen King talks about keeping all his rejection letters in On Writing too, and I've heard of it from a lot of other established writers. I think holding onto them is some people's way of both thumbing their nose at the universe and keeping humble about their own work. Plus years later, when you've got multiple NYT bestsellers, you can look back and see how far you've come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Does this man just have a sack of sadness that he reaches into to pull out a rejection letter to read and feel bad about?
You just described every writer ever.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Now it's gonna be whose email folder has the most gigs

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
With respect to short story rejections, I frequently think of this blog post:

https://thewaronloneliness.com/2016/10/28/recently-got-my-fifteen-hundredth-short-story-rejection/

Rahul has published ~50 short stories in pro- and semi-pro markets, and has a story in The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2017 Edition. So like...a pretty successful writer. I think he is atypical in terms of submission numbers (higher) and success rate (lower?) for authors who have this many stories published. He says so as much himself in his blog post for his 1000th rejection. Still, I find it a useful point of reference. It is both encouraging and terrifying, depending on how I am feeling.

Hopefully General Battuta (also included in the Year's Best 2017 anthology!!) will come by and can share his experience as well.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 2, 2017

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I hate planning. I always feel like there's something I'm forgetting in the outline and it gives me a rotten headache.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've got a question on ideas/premises, specifically, how do you come up with better ones? I know the general wisdom with writing is that premise is usually far secondary to execution. Setting that aside, though, I find my story ideas tend to only have one or two interesting moments or shards of an idea, or just feel flat and reminiscent of lots of other things I've read/seen/whatever.

Is there any way to "practice" coming up with better story concepts? Is it just something you get better at with time and experience? Am I looking at my problem of flat story ideas all wrong?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Three weeks in on my revisions to Brigade, 30,000 words deep.

It's going a lot slower, partly because of IRL stuff, and partly because I'm still juggling moments from the original draft to save and work back in. So I'm always a bit conscious of where I'm taking things and how I'm building things up, and what exactly I could save and how much of it I should rewrite. I'm pretty happy with it so far though.

The middle of the book is going to be drastically different, so that'll be fun to explore.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

MockingQuantum posted:

I've got a question on ideas/premises, specifically, how do you come up with better ones? I know the general wisdom with writing is that premise is usually far secondary to execution. Setting that aside, though, I find my story ideas tend to only have one or two interesting moments or shards of an idea, or just feel flat and reminiscent of lots of other things I've read/seen/whatever.

Is there any way to "practice" coming up with better story concepts? Is it just something you get better at with time and experience? Am I looking at my problem of flat story ideas all wrong?

It sounds to me that you are actually coming up with ideas, but are struggling to expand them into functioning stories. I think this question originated from writing for Thunderdome, and for flash fiction, one or two interesting moments is nearly all a story can handle. I think the next step is to find ways to connect them meaningfully. With shards of ideas, finding ways to push or pull things out of them, twist them around. I know this sounds incredibly vague, but there are many, many ways to do this. It does require practice to find a way that works for you.

Here's what I do:

I start by asking myself questions about what I've already got: what makes the moment interesting and why? Who are the characters in it? what is their relationship? How did they get there? How do they get to the next moment? What else could happen? What if they had a different relationship? On and on and on. Where could it go and what could it mean? As I go through questions, the idea expands and changes, and then there are new things to ask questions about. At some point, elements begin to click together: I have characters that feel sufficiently solid and have motivations. Their motivations drive the "action." The action and its consequences make sense in context. The action has an effect on the characters. That's not a formal checklist I go through or anything, but I think those are the elements that are most often in place when I feel the intuitive "click." Alternate option: deadline is in 2 hours and I go with whatever seems the least bad.

With flash fiction, I try to focus on finding a general "mood" and a satisfying ending.

Here's an excerpt from my brainstorming from Wizard Week 2:
(prompt: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post473992770)
(final story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post474213508)

My assigned wizard power was gaining power by placing sigils and symbols in public view. I have no idea why, but for some reason I thought the "obvious" way to go about that was becoming a graphic designer, and that was my only starting point.

quote:

Wizard Week - Sigils and Symbols in Public View
The most obvious way to gain great power is to become an extremely famous graphic designer. But uh...then what?
Also possible: genetically engineered bugs. Call them forth.
But what are some wizardly goals? Mine would be to stop working.
Old retired designer. His logos being phased out in rebranding, growing weaker. Turned mad scientist with roaches?
The problem is how tired and sordid that feels. So ~world weary~
I would maybe rather have a fantastical city?
Logo designing wizard in a cyberpunk (but not) future. In the slick commercialized hell future.
It's dark, it's wet. He walks by a bar w/one of his first logo designs in neon. It is flickering--it's his bar (his local), he's tired. He goes to his SRO, where he can see the logo (yes, this is the plot to Neon Moon, ok). At the end of the story it symbolically flickers and dies. Surprise! (not actually a surprise).
He's depressed because the new logos aren't magical at all, they are dead to him. He's not being challenged, his power is just dying. One day he sees an extremely powerful sigil? Starts chasing it...computer generated?? The magic goes nowhere? So sad sack :(

Okay Wizard Designer
(planned word count)
1) being depressed (100)
2) seeing another magical sigil (50)
3) Journey through the City (200?)
4) Meeting THE KID (a girl)
5) Their relationship = ?? (4 + 5 = ~650?)
6) Time to die (200? 150?)

So then the question is what happens when they meet? What becomes the nature of their relationship? Does he pass on wisdom? Does he even talk to her? Maybe he just sees her, riding the outside of the train as she paints her sigil on the train, and s content with that? He sees what she's doing with her magic and it warms his heart? What is she doing? Does it matter? I think it might?

This goes on for 8 pages (!!!) before I really started writing, though a few experimental excerpts ended up in the final.

Working on a novel now and I have over 100 pages of stuff like this as I gradually work out what will happen. Not sure if this is going to be a particularly successful strategy for long-form works, but it's what I know how to do. The things that have "clicked" for me in those hundreds of pages have definitely strengthened and expanded on my original idea, so....fingers crossed?

Also, in case it helps, here are some ways to try to come up with ideas:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

But where do ideas come from?

:iiam:

If you don’t have any little ideas niggling at the back of your head, you can try to implant one in the following ways:

Reading other books
This is seriously an extremely good way to get ideas, and one of the many reasons you should read a lot. And no, you’re not copying another book just because you get an idea while reading it! Authors have been inspired by other authors since… forever, probably. Sometimes you might be reading and think something like “aw, I wish this had happened!” Or “I wish there was a book like this, but set on Mars.” These thoughts can become the seeds of ideas, which eventually grow into full-fledged ideas and then works. Of course I am not suggesting you write thinly-veiled fan fiction with everything the same except for your one little change. No no, you take that little idea and poke it with a stick until it wakes up.

Even if you don’t get specific ideas while reading, the more you read the more you have little bits of ideas (plots, characters, settings, concepts) bouncing around in your head. The more you’ve got in there, the more likely they are to bump into each other and make little idea molecules, and then hook up and make bigger idea molecules, etc. Eventually you have an idea DNA, and you stick it a test-tube and feed it and you get some hosed up sheep. But a hosed up sheep is way more interesting than a normal sheep. Success!

Writing Prompts
Do a google search for writing prompts and you sure will get a bunch! Are they any good? Well:

(quotes within quotes don't work and honestly, you should be grateful for that)

Some of them might be better, or you might write a best selling novel inspired by a passive-aggressive “I quit!” email from Rudolph. I mean, as I will repeat endlessly, Jim Butcher wrote a best selling book on “the Lost Roman Legion + Pokemon,” so go forth with whatever inspires you.

Prompt places:
http://www.writersdigest.com/prompts
http://thinkwritten.com/365-creative-writing-prompts/
https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/ (hahaha)
http://writingprompts.tumblr.com

Thunderdome

There’s a prompt here every week, often times actually good ones. Also you get merciless critiques, a chance to ascend to the blood throne (temporarily), or to get a really great new avatar.

Genre Remix

This is when you play the pitch game of “It’s like X, but…” or similar.
“It’s like Harry Potter, but in space and noir”
“It’s like The Big Sleep, but in Victorian England and the detective is a woman.

You can skip the “it’s like,” and just cross two genres and see what comes up. It’s a Western in Space! (Star Wars) It’s a Western but Steampunk! (Wild Wild West) It’s a Western but with Aliens! (Cowboys vs. Aliens). Again, I’m not talking about writing fan-fiction of Harry Potter where he is a space detective. Elements! Combine elements and make something completely your own.

You can also take genre tropes, and play around with them. Flip them backwards, nudge them sideways, see what comes out. A hard-boiled detective novel, where the detective is a vicar’s wife heavily involved in the temperance movement? A sci-fi where the sprawling AI works perfectly, but people are trying to break it? Literary fiction exploring a complex mother-daughter relationship, but also they are wizards? Hmm.

Your own drat life
Fiction isn’t autobiography, and I don’t advise writing a thinly veiled autobiography and calling it fiction. But there are things that happen to us, things we notice, that have an emotional impact, or are ridiculous, or make us laugh. You can take those moments, and expand on them, put them in another place, consider other possible outcomes.

Eavesdropping (on strangers)
You should be doing this anyway. It’s a great way to get anecdotes, to see people in the middle of an argument, a date gone horribly awry, excited about something that’s meaningful only to them, dealing with frustrations, and more. Yes, the tiniest things can inspire you.

History, Museums, Travel
Exposure to things outside your normal life puts new ideas in your head. The War of the Roses. A poison ring with a cameo of a young girl. The destruction of a relationship while climbing Kilimanjaro.

News Stories

I see this one in a lot of books. Sometimes the news can spark an idea that spins off into its own crazy cool thing. Please don’t just write thinly veiled political allegories ;___;

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

One trick is to think of something really dumb and obvious then nudge it until its not obvious and it interests you. That way you're never in the paralysing position of needing to come up with a Really Good Idea.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

A good question I got asked is "Why do you want to write this? What are you trying to say?"

So before I write my stories I ask "why do I want to tell people this story?" like, am I mad about something? scared of some future i've dreamed up? worried about how others might see me? those all become qualities i give my characters/stories. I figure if that's stuff i'm thinking about, probably other people are thinking about that stuff too, and might identify with it. so take your concepts and plug them into that context. WHY do you want to focus on this idea you have? You might have to tweak the idea a bit to get it to fit, but it's doable. Like if you want to write a scifi/fantasy story that deals with aliens and crystals with magical powers think about it in terms of "I'm worried I won't ever make enough money to live comfortably while everybody else around me seems to be doing pretty well. am i just stupid, or is there something i'm missing here?" then that turns to "This one guy collects magical crystals to harvest their energy but some aliens come in and take most of them and he has to get them back but in the end the real magic was inside him all along he just had to believe in himself" type deal.

don't steal my magical crystal story idea tho ®me

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Steal.

edit okay FINE maybe I'm jaded.

I start with a lovely basic idea and think about it for five days.

Then think about getting around to writing.

And then Sunday I hit the oh poo poo panic button and it all comes out at once.

I'm sure there's a better approach.

Edit edit: this week is a little harder because the basic theme is WIDE OPEN, (Belgium).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yes what crab and doc said.

if you are in a hurry then looking inside yourself at what is grinding your gears right now then messily slapping it on the page layered with some weirdass genre pot pourri is where it's at because even if it's terrible it will still be interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
4 weeks in

45,000 words in. I've crossed past the stuff I can easily re-purpose even with heavy editing and have entered new territory again. We'll see if I can maintain my 10,000 words per week tempo!

It's going slower than the original one again, but I'm also finding myself less time to actually write so I'm not super surprised. I need to pick up the pace though. I feel like I'm taking too long and that's making me extra critical of what's slowly transitioning into purely first draft material.

I'm pretty happy with where this revision has gone and how much stronger the character work is, refocused on the proper story. Though I do wonder how people will react to it, the main thing is to make something people will want to be invested in to begin with.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So, two prose-related questions:

First of all, a large part of prose seems to be about cadence and rhythm. I've started reading out sentences out loud to check if it's easy to trip over them, but I'm still having issue coming up with good alternatives if I find a sentence is clunky, and coming up with little clusters of words that roll off the tongue easily together is still quite hard to me. For example, recently I saw a judgment of the Court of Justice of the EU of all places, which stated that "[the Member States and the EU] must endeavour to adapt to each other." I think these words, put together, have a certain je ne sais quoi. Is there any way you guys come up with these or any sort of method, or is it mostly just being used to playing with language and recognizing opportunities as they present themselves?

Secondly, as we all know, words can evoke a specific atmosphere, but words can also evoke a place. I remember, months ago, seeing a series of books whose name I forgot, but they were essentially a series of thesauruses where the author compiled words that evoked a specific location, like "The Mediterranean" had a series of herbs, trees, plants, things which immediately evoked a feeling of mediterranean countries. I assume they were words like olives, olive trees... But I'm having thinking of more than that. Similarly, one that evoked "China" had words like jade, bamboo, tigers... Etc.

What are your experiences with such compilations, if any? Does anybody here use a particularly good one, or are there any free compilations or methods that essentially achieve the same thing? As someone who isn't a first language English speaker, I'm sometimes worried there are words that I didn't even know existed which evoke a certain mood or feeling and which I could use. Using a generic catch-all thesaurus is also a bit too broad for this purpose if you don't know specifically what word you'd like a synonym for.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Please don't use legal writing as inspiration. I'm sure there is some fine stuff out there, but the vast majority is clunky, passive-voice garbage.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah I know, that's why I'm trying my hand at fiction writing. I need to move away from the poisoned well that are my studies. Still, that's one specific instance off the top of my head that had a certain cadence I liked.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

So, two prose-related questions

1. This is mostly a matter for the ear, and rewriting, but reading and listening to poetry will help a lot. Also, think of a sentence as a display of information - what do you want to say? Work out the best way for the parts of the sentence to relate to each other and you'll have a better base to work up from. This goes for all the parts of a story or poem too, of course.

2. I'd normally laugh at these but if English is your second language you might find them useful. Still, if you want to describe a place, I think it's better to imagine the place and describe the things that make it different from anywhere else. It's not like the Mediterranean is olive trees everywhere. So, research and crack open the dictionary.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
As the thread title says, you need to read, read, read, write, and read some more. When you find something you like, devour it. Read it out loud, copy it by hand, obsessively pursue everything you can by that author, and through all of that, think through why it clicks with you. As you develop your own style, you’ll have a better idea of how to measure and refine it. I apologize on behalf of the English language, the tendency to borrow from every set of invaders (as well as those invaded) has resulted in zillions of words that mean almost the same thing... but therein lies the game.

One thing I think you're already picking up on is the "iam", or alternation between unstressed and stressed syllables: "must endeavour to adapt." You start noticing it everywhere when you know to look for it, but when done right, especially with careful vowel use, the effect is sublime. One line that's burned its way into my brain, from Neuromancer:

William Gibson posted:

And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home...

The structure also naturally lends itself to being spoken out loud... after all, the most beloved and influential writer in the English language wrote primarily for the stage.

William Shakespeare posted:

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York

And that's just one stylistic approach, there are tons more. Just remember, if you feel inadequate composing your sentences, all the great prose that you love is the final version, sharpened and polished to perfection. You don't get to see the shambling monstrosities of earlier drafts. The important thing is to get it down in the voice that feels most natural when you're writing, then go back and worry about the prose.

Did I mention you should be reading? Look into poetry - all the methods and tricks are on display right there for you in the open.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For the first time in my life, I received a TDome prompt and finished and revised my story in the same day.

Now, I'm gonna sit on it for two days, and then read it with fresh eyes, and spend the weekend bathed in self-loathing.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

For the first time in my life, I received a TDome prompt and finished and revised my story in the same day.

Now, I'm gonna sit on it for two days, and then read it with fresh eyes, and spend the weekend bathed in self-loathing.

nice

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

tbh I just skip straight to the self loathing

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
If I think my story is good, that most likely means it is bad, right?

Also, does anyone have any good proof-reading resources? I'm constantly worried there's some error I'm failing to notice and would like some kind of guidance to that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

apophenium posted:

Also, does anyone have any good proof-reading resources? I'm constantly worried there's some error I'm failing to notice and would like some kind of guidance to that.

Step one: Spell check.
Step two: Apostrophe, comma, and quotation mark check.
Step three: Leave it alone for 12 hours. Or 24.

Step three and a half, (for while you're leaving it alone): ASK YOURSELF THESE THINGS:
1. Does something actually happen in my story, or is one character merely reacting, somewhat mindlessly, to poo poo happening?
2. Are my characters more than sock puppets with no real reason to make decisions?
3. Will any one else think my story is about something that happens, featuring people who, whether good or bad, have reasons to make decisions?

MAKE NOTES as you think about these things. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR WRITING while the yeast rises or else you will make a mess of your pretty house of cards.

Step four*: Having left it alone for more than twenty minutes hours, READ IT OUT LOUD, all the way through, despite the parts that suck. (HIGHLIGHT those parts, but DO NOT STOP because you won't get the rest of them).

* Step four of course omits doing anything with the results of step three because of course there's no way in hell you'll realize you just wrote nothing about no one and leave it alone, hell yes you're going to go in right now and fix just that one little thing there and then OH MY GOD I KILLED MY IDEA WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS.

Step Five: Add in the parts you realized you omitted (events, people) and THEN address the parts you highlighted.

Repeat.

OR

Do like I always do. Start writing at 5pm Sunday, submit by 5pm Monday without proofing poo poo because goddamn it I'm an artist I can't be held to restrictions bathe in my words.

Now look down there VVVVV to see if I've edited this post because I failed to proofread it.

edit: I wish you could see how many times I went back and edited this post about proofreading.

second edit after all those other edits:
- AS I AM THINKING ON MY OWN STORY THAT I FINISHED, I think, oh, poo poo, I've got a person who kind of learns things and goes oh well. So I'll still ignore my actual writing and just make notes somewhere else with ideas to punch it up. Because if I go in right now, while that's definitely probably maybe going to be an improvement, it's ALSO possible I'm overthinking something I just gave birth to and I can't be objective about.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 18, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

There's also webapps like Grammarly (for dum dum grammar mistakes and basic mechanical errors) and Hemingway (for clarity, brevity, and general readability) where you can just copypaste your writing into them and they'll do more than just basic spellcheck level proofing. Neither will really make bad writing good, and by no means should be your only method of proofreading, but using them for a while may be a good way to learn what your common mistakes are.

Hemingway in particular may not be what your style of writing needs, but it's useful for making you realize how much you love the smell of your own literary farts.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MockingQuantum posted:

There's also webapps like Grammarly (for dum dum grammar mistakes and basic mechanical errors) and Hemingway (for clarity, brevity, and general readability) where you can just copypaste your writing into them and they'll do more than just basic spellcheck level proofing. Neither will really make bad writing good, and by no means should be your only method of proofreading, but using them for a while may be a good way to learn what your common mistakes are.

Hemingway in particular may not be what your style of writing needs, but it's useful for making you realize how much you love the smell of your own literary farts.

My favorite is Slickwrite: https://www.slickwrite.com
It gives you a lot of statistics and points out exactly how many prepositions and adjectives you shatter-poo poo into your story. Perhaps I'm projecting.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

apophenium posted:

Overall results on this phenomenon are mixed. If you want someone else to look at it and give you feedback, drop by the Thunderdome IRC channel (#thunderdome on synIRC). Someone will probably do that.

apophenium posted:

If you are looking for resources on "correct" punctuation and grammar:
Strunk & White’s Elements of Style
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation_rules.asp
https://www.thepunctuationguide.com — has a more visual interface

Though, in my opinion, absolutely "correct" punctuation and grammar are not necessary in fiction. Sentences need to make sense and read well, but often breaking the rules is effective, especially when it comes to sentence structures. Knowing all the basic rules is important for the "make sense and read well" part, though, so don't neglect it and call it style. ;)

If you know what errors you should be looking for, but want tips for how to miss fewer of them, these are pretty good: https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Proofreading.html

It's especially important to follow the first tip "Be sure you've revised the larger aspects of your text." It's not worthwhile to proofread until you are finished with ALL other editing. Proofreading should not be the only editing you do! While your story may not need a major overhaul, there will still be room for improvement in terms of what you say and how you say it on a more granular level.

Here's my general outline of editing levels from the OPs; pick where it's appropriate for you to start. I think it's always appropriate to start with at least a cursory check of the top level (I say book level here, but it's the same for stories).

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

EDITING

If you don’t bother to edit, you are just quitting in the middle.

As with everything in writing, there are tons and tons of ways to edit. I’m going to talk a bit about “levels” of editing, what things to consider and look for when editing, and then some “tips and tricks.”

Levels of Editing

It is not helpful to finish your first draft, scroll back up to the first paragraph, and start looking for punctuation mistakes. First consider your book as a whole, then start narrowing your focus, in steps. Punctuation mistakes are last. Don’t spend time fixing punctuation mistakes when you might just delete the whole scene (or chapter, sigh….) later.

Book Level

At this level, it actually does not matter what exact words you have on the page. What matters is what happens and why. Does the flow of events make sense, especially based on the characters and their motivations? Where can it be made stronger? Tighter? More interesting? This is level where I’ve rearranged when things happen in the story, added subplots, deleted subplots, added foreshadowing, revised character goals so their actions are consistent throughout the story, and decided to eliminate what appeared to be a major character (everything he did could be done by someone else, and it would make things more simple and more interesting).

A high-level summary of your book should make sense. Get it to that point before continuing. If you don’t have a solid story, making different parts of it better isn’t going to magically transform it into a solid story.

Chapter and Scene Level

Once you have a solid story, make sure that everything in the story is actually on the page. Do you have the scenes you need? Do people do what needs to be done and say what needs to be said in the scene? Is there a balance between action, dialogue, and description that is appropriate for the scene?

At this point, it’s also useful to start looking at the items mentioned in the macro-level critique section below: POV, motivation, tension, tone, voice.

Line Edits
Finally we get to the point of really looking at the words, sentence by sentence! The guidelines for doing line edits on your own are the same as for doing line edits for others, as described in the next post.

Proofreading/Copy Editing
Get all your grammar and punctuation right. I find this extremely difficult to do for myself, because once I’ve read, rewritten, and read again, I’ve become blind to misplaced commas.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

magnificent7 posted:

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR WRITING while the yeast rises or else you will make a mess of your pretty house of cards.

...checkmate. :wiggle:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'm experiencing something which may or may not be a problem. I'm not sure. I need more points of reference.

So I wrote up a pretty comprehensive outline for a novel, partly based on a previous discovery-written version of the same story. That version topped out at about 125k words. I figured this new version would clock in at a similar size and then I could edit it down.

Now that I'm going through this outline and writing each of the scenes in full, they seem to be ... expanding. It's not that I'm adding tons of new material to each scene, but that what I have planned keeps taking up more space than I expected it to. For example, this morning I was writing a scene where the characters break into a house, find a creepy room, check out the rest of the house while an expert comes in to look at the freaky room, then a monster turns up and they go through a comedic sequence of trying to find it in the dark until the monster escapes because of the characters being dysfunctional. I estimated this would take me between 2-3k, a pretty heavy scene.

I got about halfway through and had already written 2.2k words, a lot of which was dialogue back-and-forth between the characters, and I ended up splitting the scene into two scenes, the second one starting when the monster appears. Part of me feels great that I'm getting so much characterisation on the page, but the rest of me is freaking out at wordcount creep. I know that during editing I can/should shed 10-15% of each scene, which from experience I know won't be that difficult, but if each and every scene get engorged like this, I'm worried it's going to give me a headache at the end of the draft. Has anybody else had this happen? What did you do about it? Should I just keep going and learn to cut at the end?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know that you should be worrying about too many words during a first draft unless you have a very strict wordcount to keep in mind. If they're not needed, you should be catching that in editing when you have the whole picture.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I agree, it's something you'll take care of in editing. I tend to be the same way, where my second draft is actually much more involved than my first one. It's inevitably going to happen at some point, where your ideas start to actually marinate and expand. I wouldn't choke off that process artificially, it's something you want to happen. (Other side of that coin is, don't just include a bunch of chaff just for the sake of having a "fat draft").

I think to a point it's a matter of what works for you and what your preference is, but I'm finding I have an easier time in the first few major edits if I have a lot to cut and a lot of material to choose from, rather than having to make note after note about how things need to be added. It kind of points back to the adage that a lot of any creative work is deciding what doesn't belong in it, rather than casting about for what does.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Hungry posted:

I know that during editing I can/should shed 10-15% of each scene

Is this based on personal experience or what? I'm asking because for me, my stories tend to grow when I edit them, so if this is a rule you're trying to apply to your own writing, it may just be that for this story (or just for this scene) that the rule doesn't work.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
obv everybody's writing style and editing style is different, but the key is finding your own. some people underwrite and some overwrite its about knowing what way works for you and how you work with it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Djeser posted:

Is this based on personal experience or what? I'm asking because for me, my stories tend to grow when I edit them, so if this is a rule you're trying to apply to your own writing, it may just be that for this story (or just for this scene) that the rule doesn't work.

I can consistently hack off about 10% in line edits. Story edits, though? All bets are off. Growing, shrinking, entire chapters vanish and reapper.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
70,000 words into my revision.

It's a hell of a lot stronger than my first draft I think. It's taking a fair bit longer, I'm nearing week 6 of the rewrite I believe, but that's because there's a lot of rewriting and editing and working around things I want to keep.

No idea what the final word count is going to be. Right now it's a good 60 pages ahead of where the first draft was at the same plot points, but I have a feeling that's going to even out soon.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
After 3 rejections (all some variation of "this is good but not for me") I finally got a request for a partial. Now onto writing some other bullshit while I wait for the inevitable, delicious rejection.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

After 3 rejections (all some variation of "this is good but not for me") I finally got a request for a partial. Now onto writing some other bullshit while I wait for the inevitable, delicious rejection.

Cool man, good luck.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love commas and hate that the crits have made me doubt my comma love. I've been forced to co-op the semi-colon and the em-dash to indicate a side-section of a sentence. I mean I get it, but dammit there's a beauty to a well-paced over-long sentence that can't be achieved without a heavy dose of commas.

AND NOW, forcing myself to dial back the commapocalyse of my tales, I'm left wondering if I should've left more commaction in there because now these are all just run-on sentences with no room to pause for a breath.

Yeah you feel my pain.

edit: somebody explain me how the hell to do this without commas:

quote:

A dream like her, a lady who could easily win second or third at a beauty contest, stealing a kiss from the likes of me, an old dried-up sardine.

Or this:

quote:

Each went on insisting the other was a spirit, and neither looked entirely of this realm if you catch my pitch; her with her filthy nails and green teeth, him with his eye sockets as empty as a bone-dry bird bath.

Run-on sentences? Probably, but, but, but I feel like in first person, there's a rhythm that sells the character. Without those pauseable commas, it loses that magic.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 23, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

A partial after 3 rejections is pretty goddamned good.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

magnificent7 posted:

I love commas and hate that the crits have made me doubt my comma love

do what you want, just do it sparingly. save it for the times when you REALLY need to use all those commas because the runon rambling nature of the sentence is the only tone that makes sense. semicolons are formal, i try to only use them in like, exposition prose. em dashes are good for a complete aside, something that really goes off on a tangent. i'm more apt to put a period and start a new sentence than either of those, i save them for when i need them. the first sentence i think is fine, the second i would split into two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

crabrock posted:

do what you want, just do it sparingly. save it for the times when you REALLY need to use all those commas because the runon rambling nature of the sentence is the only tone that makes sense. semicolons are formal, i try to only use them in like, exposition prose. em dashes are good for a complete aside, something that really goes off on a tangent. i'm more apt to put a period and start a new sentence than either of those, i save them for when i need them. the first sentence i think is fine, the second i would split into two.

Thanks Crab.