Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EmmyOk posted:

I've been watching Yes, Minister and in many way's it's aged incredibly well. It's from the 1980s but it had an episode about a Big Brother style database and it was amazing how similar it was to discussions around privacy and security around the time of the Snowden leaks and still now. However every now and then it has a drunk driving scene that's treated as funny and just a bit cheeky. Obviously that's something that was acceptable back then it just stands out all the more for how ahead of its time so many of its episodes are.

Actually, in a later episode, there is a plot point where another minister loses his job because he was caught drunk driving.

But i agree that it was definitely treated like getting caught for speeding is these days. It was 'naughty' but not the 'you are an arsehole' that you get today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

To be honest if more DD PSAs were like Apaches or Lonely Water they might be even more effective.
NZ had a great Speeding ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNjt04bpQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TACVictoria?videos
Has heaps of Drink driving/Speeding/Whatnot accident PSAs. Also Australia has been calling you a Bloody Idiot for drink-driving for 20+ years now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

spog posted:

Actually, in a later episode, there is a plot point where another minister loses his job because he was caught drunk driving.

But i agree that it was definitely treated like getting caught for speeding is these days. It was 'naughty' but not the 'you are an arsehole' that you get today.

That's the episode I was watching at the time. It was specifically the minister who had been behind the no drunk driving campaign. He had caused a lorry carrying nuclear waste to flip and then in his effort to escape crashed into another car... which was driven by the editor of the local paper. I agree though that it was treated as naughty and cheeky rather than the modern "what the actual gently caress" you get today.

All of our road safety ads were insanely violent including showing blood spray out of peoples mouths when they were hit by cars. They all started really happy and cute before descending into cold death in an uncaring universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a44AnA6_-2o

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Oct 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

All of our road safety ads were insanely violent including showing blood spray out of peoples mouths when they were hit by cars. They all started really happy and cute before descending into cold death in an uncaring universe

This was the one I always changed the channel for because it was so miserable to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATbxxkoikg

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was the one I always changed the channel for because it was so miserable to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATbxxkoikg
Australia had several like that. You get the see the impact instead of a cut though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWwbAgmE3N4&t=30s

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

How old are they?

My aunt just turned 40 but she's been living in NYC since her mid 20s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EmmyOk posted:

That's the episode I was watching at the time. It was specifically the minister who had been behind the no drunk driving campaign. He had caused a lorry carrying nuclear waste to flip and then in his effort to escape crashed into another car... which was driven by the editor of the local paper. I agree though that it was treated as naughty and cheeky rather than the modern "what the actual gently caress" you get today.

The seatbelt safety ones have aged very badly...for all kinds of reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6iynaLC5sY&t=5s

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How did Saville ever manage to pass as acceptable that dude looked and came off like a nightmare rapist from the start

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

How did Saville ever manage to pass as acceptable that dude looked and came off like a nightmare rapist from the start

Friends in high places, I suppose, both in the BBC and in politics (he was chummy with high rollers in both parties for decades).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spog posted:

Mad Men had an episode in which Don was caught drinking and driving (and speeding, I think) that was basically this. The cop gives him a lecture about the safety of nearby kids and being killed, and just hands him a $100 fine (1965 or whatever, but still).

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
We're much more used to unconventional looking celebrities, plus a combination of don't judge a book by its cover, "if he was actually as creepy as he seems they'd never allow him on TV, surely?" and his carefully constructed smokescreen of charitable work. Harmless eccentricity has been a staple of British celebrity for so long, when you have someone who's not actually harmless they blend in more than you might think.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

You wanna see gory PSAs? CHeck out this canadian one.

:nms: face scalding gore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSU4g2wL9Oc

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Aesop Poprock posted:

I read/watched a bunch of stuff about Saville after it all came out, and it seems that he had a real knack for kind of bamboozling people with the strength of his personality. It was his utter confidence in the face of authority, and his way of taking charge in any conversation that meant he could always turn things round to how he wanted people to see them. Whatever the situation, he knew how to impress his view of it onto others, and used that to either talk his way out of trouble or just steer things away from the subject. There's an old Louis Theroux episode where he spent a week with Saville and barely managed to get anything out of him. Every question Louis asked already had a pre-prepared answer ready - answers that served more to end the conversation and deflect from the question without actually saying anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This one always stuck with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL6t-Eu-IY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

We're much more used to unconventional looking celebrities, plus a combination of don't judge a book by its cover, "if he was actually as creepy as he seems they'd never allow him on TV, surely?" and his carefully constructed smokescreen of charitable work. Harmless eccentricity has been a staple of British celebrity for so long, when you have someone who's not actually harmless they blend in more than you might think.

It's one of those things where pedophiles/serial killers are never the person you'd suspect. But sometimes they are. So you can't trust anybody.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Elaine was one of the main cast and she was Hispanic

I don't think she was. That was a joke in one episode though where she wasn't sure if her boyfriend was black, and he thought she was hispanic.

I think the last joke in that plot line was "So we're just a couple of white people?"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tsaedje posted:

Sweevo posted:

I read/watched a bunch of stuff about Saville after it all came out, and it seems that he had a real knack for kind of bamboozling people with the strength of his personality. It was his utter confidence in the face of authority, and his way of taking charge in any conversation that meant he could always turn things round to how he wanted people to see them. Whatever the situation, he knew how to impress his view of it onto others, and used that to either talk his way out of trouble or just steer things away from the subject. There's an old Louis Theroux episode where he spent a week with Saville and barely managed to get anything out of him. Every question Louis asked already had a pre-prepared answer ready - answers that served more to end the conversation and deflect from the question without actually saying anything.
This is reminding me of a lot of the things I learned about Michael Jackson in his molestation trial :smith:

JigglyPuff
Jun 3, 2002
I watched The Ranch on Netflix, it was made in the last year or so, and there is a lot of drink driving in the episodes. It was really troubling to me that it was framed as the characters being a bit red neck, but nothing that bad. In fact it felt to me as someone from the UK like it was a point of pride, in a way, that they were flouting authority by doing whatever they felt like. I didn't like it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sweevo posted:

I read/watched a bunch of stuff about Saville after it all came out, and it seems that he had a real knack for kind of bamboozling people with the strength of his personality.

reading up on him tho it really seemed like he half-survived on word of mouth being much slower a couple decades ago as well as past attitudes being much more lax because there were times when he was brazen as gently caress about openly molesting people and flaunting his protected status; it seems like sexual assault was treated almost like catching someone doing crack back when saville was active - you knew it was illegal, you'd frown and mark down someone doing it as a problem but you'd rarely actually alert the police ... and when you did sometimes the police wouldn't even follow up

like i'm sure he could bamboozle authority figures through strength of personality whenever that came up but other times it seemed like he didn't care when he zoned in on people he felt couldn't/wouldn't come after him

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'm starting to think that pedophilia was just way more accepted in the recent past than now.

I mean, this was acceptable at one point (magazine ad, work safe) https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/11/2827376480_4db0294b1d_o.jpg

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

JigglyPuff posted:

I watched The Ranch on Netflix, it was made in the last year or so, and there is a lot of drink driving in the episodes. It was really troubling to me that it was framed as the characters being a bit red neck, but nothing that bad. In fact it felt to me as someone from the UK like it was a point of pride, in a way, that they were flouting authority by doing whatever they felt like. I didn't like it.

In a lot of rural areas of the US drinking and driving is seen as a "necessary risk" because everything is so spread out and transportation sucks. Not defending it, it's just the way it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the Drink Driving PSAs I think this one's my favourite - simple idea but interestingly executed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHoOJazEMQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lifg posted:

I'm starting to think that pedophilia was just way more accepted in the recent past than now.

I mean, this was acceptable at one point (magazine ad, work safe) https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/11/2827376480_4db0294b1d_o.jpg

I remember learning about the Paedophile Information Exchange some years ago.

Here's an extract from their Wikipedia page which is possibly illustrative:

quote:

A campaign to attract media attention was not effective, but [PIE Chairman Keith] Hose's attendance at the 1975 annual conference of the Campaign for Homosexual Equality (CHE) in Sheffield, at which he made a speech on paedophilia, was covered at length in The Guardian.[13] Peter Hain, then Honorary Vice-President of CHE, condemned PIE: "Some plain speaking is called for: paedophilia is not a condition to be given a nod and a wink as a healthy fringe activity in society – it is a wholly undesirable abnormality requiring sensitive treatment."[14] During Hain's time as president of the Young Liberals and following his description of paedophilia as "a wholly undesirable abnormality", a fellow Liberal activist said "It is sad that Peter has joined the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade. His views are not the views of most Young Liberals."[2] A motion at CHE's 1977 annual conference condemning "the harassment of the Paedophile Information Exchange by the press" was passed.[7]

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"drink driving"

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
TAC ads are usually pretty good but this one always confused me because he actually ends up doing the right thing and his death isn't really a consequence of doing drugs at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4X2lbxc5O4

Speaking of drink driving, the TAC is a sponsor for Australian footy and as part of their "Bloody Idiot" campaign often appended "Only a little bit over it" to it. Like, "I was only a little bit over. You Bloody Idiot". One of the biggest stars of the game got busted drink driving and that was literally his excuse/"apology" but because he's a guy who kicks balls good and is a "good bloke" got a slap on the wrist and avoided any consequences.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

screaden posted:

TAC ads are usually pretty good but this one always confused me because he actually ends up doing the right thing and his death isn't really a consequence of doing drugs at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4X2lbxc5O4

Speaking of drink driving, the TAC is a sponsor for Australian footy and as part of their "Bloody Idiot" campaign often appended "Only a little bit over it" to it. Like, "I was only a little bit over. You Bloody Idiot". One of the biggest stars of the game got busted drink driving and that was literally his excuse/"apology" but because he's a guy who kicks balls good and is a "good bloke" got a slap on the wrist and avoided any consequences.

I've learned that if I've begun driving on drugs, I've already marked myself for death, and should face oblivion headfirst instead of trying to weasel out of it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

speaking of aging badly, I never really read Achewood but I kinda thought better of it than the old transphobic "lol that man looks like a lady" gag.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

speaking of aging badly, I never really read Achewood but I kinda thought better of it than the old transphobic "lol that man looks like a lady" gag.

Expecting there to not be gay/trans humor in your early -late 2000s webcomics is like expecting to not inhale truck fumes if you're eating in your car at a Sonic

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Besesoth posted:

Achewood is kind of gross like that at times. Actually, pretty often.

It's honestly really surprising that its fanbase is as hard-left as it is.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Old PSAs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Mmm, meth! :dance:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

Expecting there to not be gay/trans humor in your early -late 2000s webcomics is like expecting to not inhale truck fumes if you're eating in your car at a Sonic

I know, but having only been exposed to it through its fanbase...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's honestly really surprising that its fanbase is as hard-left as it is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't it written from/set in Portland?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMnuz0wdqdU

Speaking of a commercial that didn't age well at the start.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

There are more than a few great episodes of Penn & Teller's Bullshit- pretty much any time they go after outright scam artists or the supernatural, it's a good time- but there are a few standouts which have aged very, very badly, like the episode about second-hand smoke not being that big of a deal, or the one about environmental hysteria.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

There are more than a few great episodes of Penn & Teller's Bullshit- pretty much any time they go after outright scam artists or the supernatural, it's a good time- but there are a few standouts which have aged very, very badly, like the episode about second-hand smoke not being that big of a deal, or the one about environmental hysteria.

It's hard for me to tell if certain episodes of that show have aged well or not because I often (or at least sometimes) disagree/d with their politics from the get-go. It's a well put-together program on the whole though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Not tv, but in the original Meatballs (which is kind of dull overall) I remember somebody casually uses the term ‘jailbait’ or something similar and woah no thanks movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There was an episode of Bullshit about the fitness industry and they raised some valid points but the overall message was Penn screaming "I'm just big booooned!" into the void.

I gave up on the show when they started defending sweatshops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Little Britain has aged badly but it's pretty astounding how quickly it happened.