Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It's October again, that means horror comics!

I've always been a fan of Graham Ingels and his ability to make everything look really... moist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Ingels

Or talk about something else, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Zachack posted:

It's October again, that means horror comics!

I've always been a fan of Graham Ingels and his ability to make everything look really... moist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Ingels

Or talk about something else, I dunno.

Let's talk about EC!

Best known for Tales from the Crypt (well, MAD, really), I loved these as a kid and bought all the trade reprints, then bought the rest of them as an adult when I had my first job. I think I'm literally just missing the Panic trades, but have all the other New Trend stuff, and even the early War Against Crime! and Crime Patrol, since I liked the Crime stories as well. If you read those early Kurtzman Mad issues, you'll see how neatly the 4 stories per issue conforms to a standard EC comic.

The art holds up much better than the stories, in many cases--they were often over-written a bit, and many plots involved love triangles and other pulp subject matter, with supernatural twists, but they're still worth reading in my opinion. I just don't think the main writer was as clever as he thought he was in coming up with the story plots. It's interesting to see everyone wearing suits and saying "Good lord!" Also, I think I can count on one hand the number of sentences that end in a period--everything ends in exclamation points!

They also had some great Sci Fi comics--Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, and (wait for it...) Weird Science Fantasy! There's a few Ray Bradbury adaptations that are really good. If I remember correctly, they basically adapted one of his stories without his permission and he wrote in to them asking that if they wanted to use his work, maybe they could make some arrangements with him.

Anyway, EC Comics are great and were enormously popular and successful in the 50s, before the Comics Code and before superheroes came back in a big way. They're pretty excellent examples of the genre comics that were coming out at that time, and had tons of imitators.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
EC Comics also literally said "gently caress you!" to a judge in charge of the CCA for trying to change the black astronaut at the end of Judgment Day into a white guy and published the comic as is. And it's worth remembering that fact forever.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
When I think of horror comics, I think of Bernie Wrightson. The first time I saw his art was in the Creepshow comic book, and he became the go-to in my mind any time monster/horror/terror comics are brought up. It also helped that my dad was a huge horror comics fan, and had tons of them from the 50's to 70's that he had no problem letting an 8 or 9 year old read; and it would permanently shape/warp my love and view of horror in general.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm not big into horror but Emily Carroll does some interesting comics that are somewhat unnerving.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm still really sad that both Bernie Wrightson and Len Wien passed away this year. Two spooky legends gone so close together.

I'm glad DC decided to fast-track that Swamp Thing omnibus to honour Bernie's legacy, at least. :gbsmith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If we're talking disturbing and scary comics, few things I've seen create more of a sense of revulsion and wrongness in me than the work of Al Columbia. His stuff remains pretty obscure, but you can track down lots of examples by Googling him. Here's a CBR article from 2009 (before CBR became the "Top Ten Superheroines Who Are DTF" website) that's a good introduction to Columbia's work, for better or for worse:

http://www.cbr.com/collect-this-now-the-short-stories-of-al-columbia/

Someone, somewhere described his comics as if animators from the 1930s survived some kind of cataclysmic event by barricading themselves in their studio and continuing to make cartoons as the conditions worsened outside and society collapsed around them. They have that old-timey quality, which is often creepy enough despite its purported innocence, but there's nothing innocent about his comics.

I haven't read anything by him, but everything I've ever seen by Charles Burns also unsettles me a great deal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
loving great. My giant rear end tablet has decided out no longer wants to allow screen rotation. The HP Slate 17 has, by default, no rotation mode, even though it has the sensors for it. I've gotten around this by just downloading an app that allows for rotation, only, when I turned the tablet on last night, portrait mode is now land scape with black bars filling two thirds of my screen on either side of a tiny screen.

I've done a factory reset but still, no change.

I Bitch here because I need to know if there's a way to extract comixology books so I can read then in a cbr reader, or if there's an option I missed in comixology to rotate the display to portrait.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I have been re-reading Sandman lately and while "24 Hours" remains one of the creepiest, most horrific comics I have ever read, I got to say the stories with Kelly Jones artwork remains spooky as gently caress.
I really dig Jones' artwork in general, and I think his run on Batman with Moench is a classic case of bringing Batman closer to his gothic roots. Jones is able to do some great stuff with distorted, grotesque bodies and things that look larger and more abnormal than usual.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess if it's horror book time I need to dig from hell out of storage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

loving great. My giant rear end tablet has decided out no longer wants to allow screen rotation. The HP Slate 17 has, by default, no rotation mode, even though it has the sensors for it. I've gotten around this by just downloading an app that allows for rotation, only, when I turned the tablet on last night, portrait mode is now land scape with black bars filling two thirds of my screen on either side of a tiny screen.

I've done a factory reset but still, no change.

I Bitch here because I need to know if there's a way to extract comixology books so I can read then in a cbr reader, or if there's an option I missed in comixology to rotate the display to portrait.

Some indie comics can be downloaded as CBRs via the website, but nothing from Marvel or DC.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Some indie comics can be downloaded as CBRs via the website, but nothing from Marvel or DC.

gently caress me, I guess I have to go and :filez: my legally purchased comics and hope the scans aren't lovely. Like all Comixology needs is the ability to rotate the image in the app. I cannot afford to start looking at new tablets just yet.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If we're talking disturbing and scary comics, few things I've seen create more of a sense of revulsion and wrongness in me than the work of Al Columbia. His stuff remains pretty obscure, but you can track down lots of examples by Googling him. Here's a CBR article from 2009 (before CBR became the "Top Ten Superheroines Who Are DTF" website) that's a good introduction to Columbia's work, for better or for worse:

http://www.cbr.com/collect-this-now-the-short-stories-of-al-columbia/

Someone, somewhere described his comics as if animators from the 1930s survived some kind of cataclysmic event by barricading themselves in their studio and continuing to make cartoons as the conditions worsened outside and society collapsed around them. They have that old-timey quality, which is often creepy enough despite its purported innocence, but there's nothing innocent about his comics.

I haven't read anything by him, but everything I've ever seen by Charles Burns also unsettles me a great deal.

That Columbia guy's stuff does look horrible. Not sure I'd even want a collection of it, despite its obvious merits!

Does anyone have that panel from Swamp Thing handy where Constantine's punk chick friend is transforming into a bird? That always freaked me out, more than the horrible guy with his own hand sewn into his back...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madkal posted:

I have been re-reading Sandman lately and while "24 Hours" remains one of the creepiest, most horrific comics I have ever read, I got to say the stories with Kelly Jones artwork remains spooky as gently caress.
I really dig Jones' artwork in general, and I think his run on Batman with Moench is a classic case of bringing Batman closer to his gothic roots. Jones is able to do some great stuff with distorted, grotesque bodies and things that look larger and more abnormal than usual.

There's a reason DC called Jones when they decided to do a "Batman becomes a vampire" comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some guy with a Batman avatar is yelling at everyone on twitter that gun control is retarded and we need guns to be free and I'm giggling.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does anyone have that panel from Swamp Thing handy where Constantine's punk chick friend is transforming into a bird? That always freaked me out, more than the horrible guy with his own hand sewn into his back...
(sort of nws maybe)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Action Jacktion posted:

(sort of nws maybe)

Oh yes, that is it! His run is so good and that bird in the last panel that used to be a woman named Judith is chilling.

Anyone who has passed on Moore's Swamp Thing for some reason should really check it out, it's essential.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Happy 50th birthday, Rob Liefeld! <3<3

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone who has passed on Moore's Swamp Thing for some reason should really check it out, it's essential.

It is, but that's not from his run, is it? I don't remember that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 4, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

It is in the trade murders of crows. Its issues 43-50 and its def Alan Moore its the sort of tie in with the Crisis, and what all the Constantine stuff was leading up too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

(sort of nws maybe)

The moral of the story: Don't be friends with John Constantine (then again, you should also avoid to be his enemy).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alhazred posted:

The moral of the story: Don't be friends with John Constantine (then again, you should also avoid to be his enemy).

He is like the happy fun ball, as even looking at him might cause problems

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Whatever you do, never sleep with John Constantine. Just don't do it. Unless you're Zatanna, I guess.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh man, you clearly need to re-read his run then! And what better month to do it in? There's even a few really good explorations of traditional monster stories, like vampires, ghosts, and a werewolf!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lightning Lord posted:

Whatever you do, never sleep with John Constantine. Just don't do it. Unless you're Zatanna, I guess.

"Noitcetorp!"

"Seriously, luv? I brought sheaths."

"I didn't mean that kind of protection."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

This one's totally not on him, she betrayed the Cool Guy Crew because she thought ultimate evil was rad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Kit got out okay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If lowtax kills the forums having a feud with zdr well it was nice chatting with y'all

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

If lowtax kills the forums having a feud with zdr well it was nice chatting with y'all

Oh that old chestnut?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hell yeah

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
So, I stumbled across an Evangelion parody comic that reminded me that there are enough "Evangelion, but 'X'" series that the franchise practically has a loving multiverse. Everything from "same story with minute changes" to "no mechas, just highschool drama" to "literally a generic shonen series that just borrows personalities, character designs, and naming conventions" to "chibi parody." It was just weird refinding this series and remembering "oh yeah, Gainax loving merchandised the poo poo out this series to the point of parody."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Oh that old chestnut?

The forums were crashing constantly last night while lowtax was erasing any trace that zdr had ever existed

Evidentially lowtax gets very mad when you tell him he shouldn't doxx people

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

The forums were crashing constantly last night while lowtax was erasing any trace that zdr had ever existed

He even went so far as to sabotage a transformer!

https://support.steadfast.net/News/NewsItem/View/502/data-center-power-outage---725-s-wells

(ZDR is on right now posting by the way.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

He even went so far as to sabotage a transformer!

https://support.steadfast.net/News/NewsItem/View/502/data-center-power-outage---725-s-wells

(ZDR is on now posting by the way.)

Well this was several hours later and was happening because lt was deleting every single post zdr had ever made but lol

And zdr is now back because lowtax begged him to stay

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does your fanfic come with drawings too?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh im not sure why anyone would take a look at how lowtax has thrown tantrums since basically forever and not immediately be like yeah that sounds like him but :shrug:

site fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 5, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those leakers need to get their stories straight, that's the 3rd different version I've heard today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I too believe Donald trump when he makes a statement saying he actually didn't do a thing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Does the Bort comic series still suck? The sequel to Naruto? Yes, I know it's supposed to be Bolt, but even the offical translation went with Bort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I too believe Donald trump when he makes a statement saying he actually didn't do a thing

You don't really get to play that card when you're spreading completely unsubstantiated rumors that sound like a conspiracy theory from SASS.

• Locked thread