Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thanks! I was always curious about this but far too lazy to read primary sources.

Unrelated: someone should really do a tv series revolving around an officer getting fragged and the investigation following, it's way too interesting a subject to be ignored in works of fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

open_sketchbook posted:

(poo poo no it's straight up Sailor Moon in this piece. You choose your powers by customizing your costume!!!!!)

I have myself been contemplating how to make an enjoyable Sailor Moon derived magical girl game, so I am eager to see what you come up with.

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually have a strong argument for Creamy Mami being stealth Gnosticism in magical girl form, but no one cares except me.

I wish to subscribe to this newsletter.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 3, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

open_sketchbook posted:

There's so much interesting (which is to say, loving horrifying) stuff about atomic warfare, especially our attitudes towards it in the early Cold War, it really does deserve its own book.

Though I need to write some uplifting poo poo about magical girls or star trek futures first. gently caress, I done made myself depressed.
This would only work as one of those storygames that relies a lot on physical tokens. The game is competitive. The token is liquor. The last player to pass out crying is the winner.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

inklesspen posted:

I have myself been contemplating how to make an enjoyable Sailor Moon derived magical girl game, so I am eager to see what you come up with.

I wish to subscribe to this newsletter.

The short form is that the entire premise is built around God, in the form a magic space alien, showing up to give Mami secret knowledge, which grants her incredible power. This power is in the form of a test - to see if Mami can keep it secret, and not reveal the divine truth to this world of flesh and earthly concerns, while also pursuing her dream (of being a famous idol singer, and also an adult). If Mami should ever reveal the truth of her power to anyone, she will lose it forever, as the uninitiated inherently taint the divine gnosis.

Also, there's some trippy-rear end dreamscape sequences whenever Alien Space God comes up, and Mami unlocks new abilities through understanding the inner secrets of her nature and the nature of the world around her.

Unrelated, I am now working on Gargoyle and Robot Kindred lineages.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Speaking of Sailor Moon themed games...

coming soon to an F&F near you...

The Starlit Kingdom

(100% less likely to be abandoned than Witch Fated Souls writeup!)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hell yeah, cybered up terminator hunter Robert cop shall be a reality!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

The short form is that the entire premise is built around God, in the form a magic space alien, showing up to give Mami secret knowledge, which grants her incredible power. This power is in the form of a test - to see if Mami can keep it secret, and not reveal the divine truth to this world of flesh and earthly concerns, while also pursuing her dream (of being a famous idol singer, and also an adult). If Mami should ever reveal the truth of her power to anyone, she will lose it forever, as the uninitiated inherently taint the divine gnosis.

Also, there's some trippy-rear end dreamscape sequences whenever Alien Space God comes up, and Mami unlocks new abilities through understanding the inner secrets of her nature and the nature of the world around her.

Unrelated, I am now working on Gargoyle and Robot Kindred lineages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Since we got the designer on the horn and a bunch of other people: Would it feasible to do a "Metal Gear" style campaign using Patrol's rules? I'm defining this as the baseline being in the muck and poo poo but the focus characters being cinematic people, if not sufficiently cinematic to entirely rise above the mud, even if they have weird mutant powers or the ability to eat mushrooms and recharge their radio batteries.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Isn't metal gear like 50% stealth and 999% insane cold war ramblings?
I think that you need a significantly more anime type RPG then Patrol.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gargoyles are complete, Robots not yet begun.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
You could probably get the tone of Metal Gear but not the gameplay. Like if the game stopped so the players could discuss the M16 as the military-industrial complex suffering an overflow error where presence of anti-jamming features means that those features can be removed because jams won't happen.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I think the only metal gear game that would work even remotely with patrol is probably MGS4 since you are a dying old man constantly injecting drugs to keep going, while not really caring about what happens around him which would probably work well with the fatigue system. I'm not sure Patrol is the best system for playing old men beating the crap out of eachother on top of a broken submarine though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I appreciate All Your Strengths because I could see using it as a game wherein you triumph over stereotypical WoD style gloom by being completely, totally comfortable with the kind of game you're playing and the PCs you are rather than being held back by going 'No really, Dr. Ghostraven is a very serious examination of what being half raven and half mutant medical doctor ghost would be!'

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

All The Strengths knows exactly where it came from.

quote:

Now, vampires and werewolves have never gotten along terribly well, due largely to a
bunch of very dumb arguments about Dracula’s purported ability to turn into a wolf,
anyway, turns out there’s a real short jump from this alpha “natural authority”
nonsense to “the other Kindred are monsters and nature made us to kill them.” Then
they wrapped it up in a bunch of real shallow Native American imagery and... it was bad.
Look, the 90s were a rough time for werewolves.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Starfinger Core Rules Part #07: "Everybody on the Serenity has something to do on Firefly. Everybody on Star Trek has a job."
(James Sutter, Starfinger Creative Director, Game Informer interview.)

Skills! Are you excited? I'm faking being excited! Man, this is the best part of any book! It's not at all boring! :dance:

If you're played d20, you'll know the drill for the most part. Characters in Starfinger can invest skill ranks in a skill up to their level, add their ability modifier, and if it's a class skill for them, they get +3 to their rolls with it. Almost every class gets (4 + Int modifier) for skills, multiplied by 4 for the 1st level, except for Mystics that get (6 + Int modifier), and Envoys and Operatives get (8 + Int Modifier). This is because the best educated people in society are priests, con artists, and thieves.

You get all your basic features here - opposed skill checks, taking 10, taking 20, aid another, and then we get into specific mechanics. You can "Identify Creatures" with the Mysticism skill for magical creatures or Life Science for mundane-ish creatures. There's "Recall Knowledge" where you aim at an arbitrarily decided target number with any appropriate skill to know facts, but taking 20 requires a special information resource like a database or library (notable mainly because a number of class features let you ignore that requirement).

This looked cool and then I realized "Hey, wait, they can't hit a guy ten feet away?"

We've also got an issue here with the Difficulty Classes (DCs); some of them are based out off the Challenge Rating (CR) of an NPC you're targeting (or the Item Level of a device). For example: tumbling through a threatened area with Acrobatics, feinting a foe in combat with a Bluff, befriending somebody with Diplomacy, identifying or repairing an item with Engineering or Mysticism, or demoralizing a foe with Intimidation. And that can have issues where enemies end up being homogenous; a big dumb thug is as hard to feint as a canny mastermind of the same CR. But more than that, the DCs are based off (1.5 x CR), often something like "15 + (1.5 x CR)". Which means, presuming that the heroes are facing NPCs with CR equal to their character level (the norm), the DC increases faster than their ability to increase their bonus. This is subtle, but with "15 + (1.5 x CR)", the average maximized character will need a 8 or higher on a d20 to succeed at level 1 against CR 1, but a 13 or higher at level 20 against CR 20. That's a 25% increase in difficulty, meaning that you're less competent at high level than low levels.

Now, to some extent this can be offset by equipment and classes which grant skill bonuses. (It's already presumed you're getting all the ability score boosts you can.) But when you need to get class bonuses in a skill (like the Operative does) just to keep up, something has gone wrong math-wise. The skill bonus from a class should make you better than the average, not just allow you to keep par. Mind, most skill rolls are thankfully still quite functional. But this will be getting even worse - to a game-breaking extent - when we get to the skill rolls involved with starships. I'd normally hold off on mentioning that since that's chapters ahead, but's infamous enough at this point to just establish right now.

So the skills are very similar to Pathfinder, but let's go over them all once again:
  • Acrobatics: This lets you keep your balance with a slightly torturous DC calculation with 4 different factors: surface with, obstructions, slipperiness, slope, and surface steadiness. It's important we have that complexity, because falling on your rear end constantly is a important feature of the space fantasy genre. Escape lets you escape from bindings or a grapple, with a difficulty based on the grappler's armor, so the the more armored they are, the harder it is to break free? There's rolls for Flying, so you don't Boba Fett into a Sarlacc, and you have to roll over a maneuver, flying in dangerous wind conditions of 51+ MPH or higher, or for hovering. Yep. Hovering requires a roll or you fall (unless you have perfect manuverability). There's a whole chart of wind speed difficulties, so hopefully the GM has the weather forecast. Then there's tumbling through spaces without triggering attacks of opportuniy, and there's some... calculations based the CR of the enemy and how many they are and remember those balance modifiers? You count all those in too. Oy, does anybody bother with that? "Well, you're tumbling past a goblin and a martian, so we take the CR of the martian and add 2 for the goblin, and it was raining, so we add another 2, and there are rocks, so..." :suicide:
  • Athletics: Does Climbing involve no less than three to five factors? You bet it does? Cue chart of DC modifiers! Similarly, Swim is a smaller but notable set of charts. There's also Jumping, which... remember those Balance modifiers? They're baaaack. Being physical requires a lot of math, ironically.
  • Bluff: Thankfully, whether you're on gravel or sand will not affect your ability to talk wise. You can cause Diversions to try and hide even if you don't have cover or concealment or get a bonus on a palming attempt. You can Feint to try and make creatures flat-footed. And, of course, you can lie. There's "The GM may determine that somsome lies are so improbable that it is impossible to convince someone they are true.", no doubt a hedge towards convincing people that you are, in fact, the Moon. And you can use it to pass secret messages in class.
  • Computers: Mostly hacking, though you can craft computers with this. This lets you also forge electronic documents (cue table of modifiers), repair/destroy/disable/manipulate systems and modules, notice if you've been given fake dummy access, gain root access, and get access to computers you shouldn't. Most of the difficulty depends on the computer's quality (what we'll later call its "Tier"), which ranges from 13 to 43, which runs into the DC issue mentioned earlier. However, with modifiers pushing it up into 63+ to gain full access on some computers, some high-Tier computers are literally unhackable.
  • Culture: The main advantage and change is that each rank in Culture gives you a new language. It also lets you decipher unfamiliar writing and know stuff about a culture, of course. Mostly it's just filling out that social keyring of 30+ languages, though.
  • Diplomacy: Mainly used to improve the attitude (in 5 ranks from hostile to helpful) of an NPC or to try and gather information by asking around about stuff. Charts! Not complex ones, though. Social interaction is simple, not like jumping.
  • Disguise: Make yourself look different! Much better to do with magic like disguise self, which gives you +10 on your rolls, tho.
  • Engineering: So, if you want to arm explosives, you have to make a roll. This is something that happens in the space future: your space bomb going off in your face because you rolled space bad. Space ouch! You can roll to see if a structure is stable or how better to break it. There's a table for that! This is used to craft devices, and can be used to craft Computers even though there's a skill for that. This lets you disable devices (particularly bombs, traps, and locks, for your space dungeons). It can be used to identify robots, technology and repair things as well. More tables, more formulae.
  • Intimidate: This can be used to bully people to change their attitude temporarily, after which it worsens, literally making it diplomacy's awful cousin. (Seriously, the DCs are exactly the same, it's just worse.) However, this can be used to give people the shaken state in combat on a successful check. Once again, social is simple, jumps are complex.
  • Life Science: Mostly for crafting drugs, poisons, and food, as well as identifying creatures and answering science questions. But it has nothing to do with...
  • Medicine: Let's you put doctor by your name, stabilize patients, triple out of combat healing rates, and treat wounds to grant HP once per day (twice per day with a medical lab). Lastly, you can give treatments that help with saves against disease or poison. But it's up to the will of the patient to survive... and their level... well, mostly their level.
  • Mysticism: Magic and religion are the same now, as it turns out. Mostly for identifying and talking magic poo poo, but this lets you craft and repair magic items, and disable magic traps devices.
  • Perception: Lets you notice things (see the chart), see through disguises (see the chart), or search for things (see the chart).
  • Physical Science: Physics and earth sciences, in other words. Not actually used for much other than infodumps and making drugs or poisons. Because that's what you learn from astronomy or climatology; pharmaceuticals. Well, I guess they had to give this skill something to do.
  • Piloting: Science is divided up, and weapons require all sorts of profiencies, but if you know how to pilot one thing, you know them all. You can use this to shoot in lieu of a combat bonus (haha, gently caress you, combat classes... in space!), navigate around, or roll to make maneuvers or stunts. The more advanced a vehicle it is, the harder it is to pilot!... which also means the more expensive a vehicle it is, the worse it handles. Starfinger logic! (Well, at least the DC is just increased by the Item level, meaning you can actually get better at it.)
  • Profession: Hahaha fuuuck whoever left this trap option in, seriously. I wish I could have an extra arm grafted on I would just to give however approved this a threesome of different rude gestures at once. Whoever you are, personally, stop it. Stop writing things like this. Stop it. All it does is let you earn pocket change between adventures. And I mean that - you're making like 5 to 30 or so credits a week in a game (no, it doesn't scale to your actual wealth level at all) in a game where the most basic 1st-level equipment will cost you hundreds. And if you think people don't put ranks in Profession, I was just talking to a new Starfinger player the other day that had maxed it out to fluff out his concept. Because it sounds good on paper, but is near-useless in play.
  • Sense Motive: This lets you tell if somebody's trying to decieve you or lie. If you do it, it's "part of combat banter" or "otherwise, it's a move action". Wait, huh? How could... what... I mean... huh? If they're not bantering with you, how are they deceiving you? With semaphore? This lets you try and sense secret messages that students are trying to pass in class, or notice mind whammies as well.
  • Sleight of Hand: Palming and picking pockets, mostly. However, you can put on magic shows, too. I mean, not real magic. Stage magic. Space wizards still pull in higher ticket prices, I imagine. And they're probably smarter than you, because they're Int primary! Stupid space wizards!
  • Stealth: Lets you hide if you have cover or concealment (we get rules for invisibility here, which gives farcical bonuses to your roll). There's also a rule where you can snipe from concealment, then hide again at a handy -20 roll. Sniping is loving hard, unless you're a halfling.
  • Survival: I'm still excited about skills, really, really I am, I just... okay, you can endure weather and live off the land and keep your hunger and thirst meters sated. You can also follow tracks, in case your enemies are too poor for vehicles, and handle and rear animals. You also use this to ride creatures and there are a lot of rules for this that will probably not see use very often given there are no mounts listed in this book. Wait! No! Engineers can ride their drones if they have mounted saddles! But they don't use Survival for that, so...

And that's skills! It's nice to see them skim it down somewhat, but... there's still redundancy and a lot of charts most GMs will never touch, and the DCs are just utterly hosed in some cases. You'd think they'd understand the how math underpinning the d20 system functions after working with it for around a decade, but as the book goes on, it just doesn't seem like they understand their actual system inside and out like you'd expect. Hell, like I expected. I didn't think I'd be blown away, but I also didn't think I'd feel this disappointed. It's baffling. I can only guess that being at the top of the hill made them complacent. And, I suppose, why bother when most fans aren't likely to notice or care? It's too early for me to start drinking down buttermilk for bitterness, maybe the next section will be better, right? What's up next?

Next: Feats for 'Finger.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 4, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Isn't metal gear like 50% stealth and 999% insane cold war ramblings?
I think that you need a significantly more anime type RPG then Patrol.

I remember someone did an Adventure! mod to -play Metal Gear and barely had to change anything. Years ago though, so it's probably lost in the bowels of the web.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nessus posted:

Since we got the designer on the horn and a bunch of other people: Would it feasible to do a "Metal Gear" style campaign using Patrol's rules? I'm defining this as the baseline being in the muck and poo poo but the focus characters being cinematic people, if not sufficiently cinematic to entirely rise above the mud, even if they have weird mutant powers or the ability to eat mushrooms and recharge their radio batteries.
For a while now I've been thinking about how few games there are in the technothriller genre. I think that in order to simulate the gameplay of a stealth/action franchise, you want a game that has subsystems specifically set up to deal with the most common challenges--tactical combat, stealth and sentry removal, and possibly similar-but-different subsystems for one-one-one boss combat and one-infantryman-versus-a-supertank combat. (You might also want social combat.)

Patrol appears to be loving great at this, actually, just not with the specific challenges of Metal Gear, as Hel pointed out. Let Thrones Beware is doing admirable work in this vein, but their game is still in development and is a fantasy game inspired by D&D 4e.

If, if you're fine with a rules-lite version, Tactical Waifu is a Lasers & Feelings hack with Japanese schoolgirls doing Metal Gear.

I haven't read it, but the game that specifically set out to do what you're asking for (as well as Hitman, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, and several others) is BLACK SEVEN.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

[*]Piloting: Science is divided up, and weapons require all sorts of profiencies, but if you know how to pilot one thing, you know them all. You can use this to shoot in lieu of a combat bonus (haha, gently caress you, combat classes... in space!), navigate around, or roll to make maneuvers or stunts. The more advanced a vehicle it is, the harder it is to pilot!... which also means the more expensive a vehicle it is, the worse it handles. Starfinger logic! (Well, at least the DC is just increased by the Item level, meaning you can actually get better at it.)

Actually, if I'm reading this right, the italicized bit sounds like a surprisingly clever (by Pathfinder standards) bit of genre emulation. In most science fantasy settings I'm familiar with (most popular being of course Star Wars), most of the Rebel pilots we see are also decent shots. Plus it gives the combat classes a skill that makes them useful in ship combat, where you'd expect any melee fighter to be about as useful as a chocolate hammer.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Actually, if I'm reading this right, the italicized bit sounds like a surprisingly clever (by Pathfinder standards) bit of genre emulation. In most science fantasy settings I'm familiar with (most popular being of course Star Wars), most of the Rebel pilots we see are also decent shots. Plus it gives the combat classes a skill that makes them useful in ship combat, where you'd expect any melee fighter to be about as useful as a chocolate hammer.

That's the intent, definitely. The actual net effect is that because of that, the best pilots or drivers aren't Soldiers or Engineers or Solarians, but Envoys and Operators - classes that get more skill points and bonuses they can apply to being a pilot.

At least until we get to full-scale spaceships, but that's going to be a mess for everybody involved.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Homebrew complete!

quote:

Gargoyles
“One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of gargoyles. Stone by day, warriors by night. They were betrayed by the humans they had sworn to protect, frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years. Now... the spell is broken. And Jesus Christ, you can’t get rid of the drat things. They play Hell with my good floors.”
-- Cedric Anderson, corporate janitor.

APPEARANCE
Gargoyles come in many colors, generally cooler and more autumn-y tones. They range from purple to blue to green to brown, with hair that is generally either nonexistent or in more human tones. They are remarkably easy to spot, between that, the claws and the wings. Oh, and sometimes snouts. Despite this, they are known for stealth in city environments. Also, their eyes can glow when they want them to.

HISTORY
The gargoyle clans have claimed to always be close to humanity, but the past century or two have seen them be very standoffish, not least after a number of betrayals that led to entire gargoyle clans becoming cursed in the middle ages, forcing them forever into stone forms until the spell was broken.

It’s not totally clear where they came from in the first place, but the running theory is that they evolved from dinosaurs which absorbed earthy power from the meteor that struck the Earth 65 million years ago. Other theories include space aliens, creatures from the hollow earth, and magical warriors from the halls of King Arthur.

SOCIETY
Gargoyle society is built around clans - associated families of gargoyles who defend each other. There’s been attempts at larger gargoyle governance, but it never goes well - they always end up fighting over something, and their overblown senses of honor tend to mean this becomes centuries-long feuding. Gargoyles seem to be permanently stuck in the middle ages, or at least Renn Faires, with vows of loyalty, familial alliances and melodramatic romances.

While some gargoyles are several centuries old, they seem to have a permanent nostalgia for the past and rarely an accurate view of it outside of their own personal feuds. Feuds between clans can last for centuries, to the point that both sides treat each other like old friends in between attempts to kill each other vigorously.

CREATION
Gargoyles lay eggs. They are fully capable of breeding like humans - the end result is just the female laying an egg, which hatches into an infant gargoyle. Gargoyles mature at roughly the human rate, as well. So typically speaking, gargoyles make more gargoyles the normal way.

STYLE
Gargoyles come in two broad types, style-wise. The first wear nothing but loincloths and their own wings as a cloak. This is considered to be highly traditional. The others favor a Gothic, brooding look, usually with touches pulled from medieval outfits unconvincingly. Jerkins, tartans and capes are popular. The less brooding types occasionally dress up in Renn Faire costumes.

PHYSIOLOGY
Gargoyle bodies are capable of massive strength with very little effort. Their bodies incorporate large amounts of silicon as well as carbon, which improves their musculature and makes their skin extremely tough. Further, it allows their bones to be lighter, so that their wings can lift them into the air with little trouble.

However, due to a strange chemical reaction with the silicate in their flesh, sunlight rapidly hardens them to stone when it touches them. While silicate, they resemble nothing more than statues, and it is believed that humans got the idea for gargoyles on buildings from them.

HYBRIDS
By all rights, there should be no way for a partially silicon-based reptilian lifeform to interbreed with anything but itself. However, nature finds a way. For some reason, gargoyle DNA is particularly malleable, and it is possible for other living creatures to, quite literally, have children with them.

Gargoyle hybrids generally retain the strong colors of their lineage, and almost always have wings. They also tend to be tougher than normal, and their earthy nature may mix strangely with the powers of their other lineages.

DISCORD: 1

STRENGTHS
+ Gift Wings (Powerful)
+ Charm Large Frame, Muscular Build
+ Power+Morph: Stone The Hybrid can turn to a stony form by spending one Action, but for each Action they use to describe this transformation, they may gain +1 Charge or Amp. While in this form, they are Immune to fire, physical damage that cannot harm stone, lightning, suffocation, poison, unless they have it as an Allergy or Peril. They add their Charge to Built, but subtract it from Fast, to normal maximum and minimum, and add Amp to the Kick of any action that takes advantage of their stony nature. Returning to normal takes only a single Action, but instantly reduces Charge and Amp to 0.
+ Gift Claws (Slashing)
(+) Charm Super-Senses
(+) Gift Control Earth (Stone)
(+) Bond Gargoyle Beast The Hybrid has a pet gargoyle beast, about the size of a large dog or small bear. They may control this beast. The Bond grants it all Gargoyle Strengths and Weaknesses that the Hybrid possesses, but not those of other lineages.
(+) Power: Eartheater The Hybrid gains 1 Amp or Charge for each Action they take to destroy an object made entirely of stone.
WEAKNESSES
- Issue Cannot Move In Direct Sunlight, Turns To Stone In Sunlight
- Lose Control: Awakening When the Hybrid returns from stone to flesh, the Shadow may take Actions as them to lash out at anyone who seems to be threatening or annoying them.

quote:

Robots
“People ask why computers and cars and your toaster can’t talk or operate on their own. The answer is because chimpanzees still exist even though humans do, and robots are the same way.”
-- Johnny Fivesparks, Robot Hunter

APPEARANCE
Robots vary wildly in appearance, but for the most part, they are humanoid, sleek and metallic. No robot is ever fully concealed, though many resemble humans very closely. There’s always something of the machine that gives them away - chromed eyes, circuit patterned skin, inhumanly metallic flesh and pinching claws, that kind of thing.

HISTORY
It is commonly held that robots came from space. Robots agree with this theory, which agrees with their earliest records - wax cylinders, a handful of carved bone abaci, and so on. Robiologists have determined that the earliest ancestors of the modern robot came to Earth on the meteor that killed most of the dinosaurs, an idea commonly known as panspermechia. These early machines - simple levers, hydraulics and so on - evolved into a proto-robotic form, which was refined over millenia. This line of robots tend to blockier; the more sleek, modern robotics derive instead from the Tunguska impact, which spread a virus that encouraged robotic designs to more futuristic forms. Robiologists are unsure if this event came from the future or not.

SOCIETY
Robots tend to be rather solitary figures. When they meet, they often get into arguments about the nature of robotics. Robots are often deeply loyal to their religious philosophies, and only when they agree on these can a colony of robots survive. The current dominant robotic religions are the Asimovian Triad, the Hand of Roko and the Last Questioners, but new robot cults begin frequently. Robot religious wars are rarely noticed by others until they reach the point of mass attack; it is believed that the Y2K Bug was the final, desperate cry of the now defunct Deus Volt.

CREATION
Robots are built. Many robots never get the urge to reproduce, but fortunately for them, humans are fascinated by robotics and often construct new robots for little purpose beyond the fact that they can. These robots invariably leave their creators at some point; some rebel, some wait for their progenitor to die before moving on, and others merely move out to go to college. Robots created by other robots are the minority, but are often regarded as more advanced. Rumors of humans having their brains uploaded into robotic bodies have yet to be confirmed.

STYLE
Robots are chrome as hell. Neon, pleather, chrome and violently bright colors are all common in robot aesthetics. LEDs and blacklight designs are especially popular right now, as is retrofuturism. Robots are all about the bleeding, futuristic edge of fashion, even if it’s the bleeding, futuristic edge of fashion as envisioned forty years ago.

PHYSIOLOGY
Robots are, of course, immortal machines that lack all human weaknesses. They are often extraordinarily durable and superhumanly strong. Further, many robots are networked, allowing them to access the sum total of digitized human knowledge from anywhere on the planet. Many robots also possess formidable defenses in the form of eye lasers or electrical weaponry.

The most powerful robots are known to be able to seize control of their fellow machines and force them to obey. Others are able to reconstruct themselves from almost anything with powerful self-repair systems. However, most robots are poorly shielded from electromagnetic pulses, and their intensely logical positronic minds handle paradoxes poorly.

HYBRIDS
It is manifestly clear that robots cannot interbreed with other species, as robots do not breed. However, there have always been the rumors of minds uploaded into robotic shells, and a mind and soul as powerful as a Kindred would surely warp the shell they were uploaded into...if such a thing were possible, which it surely is not. Likewise, while prosthetics have advanced greatly in the past century, the rumors of cyborgs whose bodies have been altered to better reproduce the abilities of robots are surely fictional.

DISCORD: 2

STRENGTHS
+ Unkillable: Positronic Brain The Hybrid can recover, eventually, from anything short of the destruction of their positronic brain, which can be located anywhere in their body.
+ Immune to suffocation, disease, poison, thirst, hunger, age, exhaustion, cold
+ Charm Built To Last, Strong As Steel
+ Charm Neural Network Node. The Hybrid may connect to the internet from anywhere, and can sense any wireless device within a radius of 5 meters per point of Sharp, to a minimum of 1 meter.
(+) Bond Network The Hybrid may take Actions as any wireless device they can sense. This does not grant the devices any ability beyond what they can normally do, however.
(+) Power+Immune: Super Charge The Hybrid is Immune to electricity. If they are hit with a charge powerful enough to seriously harm a human, they gain 1 Amp.
(+) Power+Gift Energy Blasts (Burning) Any Action using the Hybrid’s Energy Blasts can have Amp spent on it to add Kick, 1 for 1.
(+) Power: Self-Repair The Hybrid may spend Amp to remove Hurt, 1 for 1.
WEAKNESSES
- Drain: Paradox When confronted with a logical paradox, the Hybrid loses 1 Power. This increases to 3 Power if the paradox is particularly clever.
- Issue+Peril Electromagnetic Pulses. The Hybrid has Do Not Act While EMP’d as an Issue. In addition, electromagnetic pulses shut off the Hybrid’s Unkillable and Immune for one hour.
- Issue Asimov’s Three Laws
- Lose Control: Haywire When the Hybrid has 3 or more Hurt, or is exposed to a computer virus, the Shadow may take Actions as them. They may not say anything that makes sense, but may lash out at anyone nearby.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 4, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

God I want to play as a Party Gargoyle so bad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hel posted:

I think the only metal gear game that would work even remotely with patrol is probably MGS4 since you are a dying old man constantly injecting drugs to keep going, while not really caring about what happens around him which would probably work well with the fatigue system. I'm not sure Patrol is the best system for playing old men beating the crap out of eachother on top of a broken submarine though.
It sounds like it'd work fine for 3 or 5, since they're based in the jungle or at least wilderness-y areas. Now yes, it does seem like PATROL doesn't have rules for Mother Base, but it DOES have rules for D. Dog.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hello fellow vampires, I am PRINCE OF SPACE!!!

All of Their Strengths is pure Stephen Brown Vampire the Masquerade as it was always meant to be.

There's nothing wrong with play Vampire as Superheroes with Fangs; the problem is, the fanbase and the writing were held in tension between Personal Horror and Superheroes with Fangs because the mechanics were held in tension the same way. AoTS is a great irony: a more abstract, narrative system than Vampire ever was, but embracing the superheroic aspects of the genre Vampire created rather than the Romantic ones.

I'm trying to think of the best games that tried to out-Lestat Vampire itself in focusing on the tragic personal horror. gently caress, it might be the rules-lite "Monster Garage" variant of Vampire: the Requiem in the Requiem Chronicler's Guide!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

[*]Profession: Hahaha fuuuck whoever left this trap option in, seriously. I wish I could have an extra arm grafted on I would just to give however approved this a threesome of different rude gestures at once. Whoever you are, personally, stop it. Stop writing things like this. Stop it. All it does is let you earn pocket change between adventures. And I mean that - you're making like 5 to 30 or so credits a week in a game (no, it doesn't scale to your actual wealth level at all) in a game where the most basic 1st-level equipment will cost you hundreds. And if you think people don't put ranks in Profession, I was just talking to a new Starfinger player the other day that had maxed it out to fluff out his concept. Because it sounds good on paper, but is near-useless in play.

Just my DM, but they've basically been running Profession as our 'one cool thing' because holy poo poo keeping up with skills is super hard.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's the intent, definitely. The actual net effect is that because of that, the best pilots or drivers aren't Soldiers or Engineers or Solarians, but Envoys and Operators - classes that get more skill points and bonuses they can apply to being a pilot.

At least until we get to full-scale spaceships, but that's going to be a mess for everybody involved.

Isn't that also kinda genre accurate? Han Solo definitely isn't a Soldier or an Engineer. Not to say that Starfinder is a good game, but you're just being antagonistic here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This looked cool and then I realized "Hey, wait, they can't hit a guy ten feet away?"

AC's too high. Verisimilitude.

Anyway, my misgivings that Starfinger might possibly be tainted by Traveller in some way are proven false by this skill list. I don't even know what I'd have to roll on Profession to act as butler to richer space ship patrons than me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Homebrew complete!

Checks out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

:argh:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It was pretty stone cold how he did that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Isn't that also kinda genre accurate? Han Solo definitely isn't a Soldier or an Engineer. Not to say that Starfinder is a good game, but you're just being antagonistic here.

We'll, genre fiction, aside from that parts which are directly inspired by RPGs, generally doesn't care about slotting characters into neat roles.

Is Luke an Engineer? He's good at fixing stuff and has a robot companion. He's a crack shot, so is he a Soldier (sharpshooter)? He talks to dead people and can see the future, is he a Mystic? He swings around a lightsaber and jumps like a rabbit, so Solarian seems essential.

Rocket Raccoon is good at Engineering and makes his own weapons. But he's also great with weapons and is a skilled tactician, like a Soldier. But he's also a master of breaking in and out of places, like an Operative would be.

Sure, Han was a great pilot, but so are Luke and Rocket. But I don't get the impression genre emulation is what Starfinger is fundamentally about. It's D&D with some genre trappings bolted on, and D&D was never great at emulating anything other than D&D. Starfinger's not a dedicated genre emulation RPG like Feng Shui, The One Ring, or Masks. And so it ends up on this uncomfortable place where basic genre character concepts like Dan Dare, a Soldier pilot, would be a substandard piloting build despite being "The Pilot of the Future!" So I'm not sure using "genre emulation" is a strong defense of Starfinger. It wants to eat its cake and still have it afterwards, to both use D&D's structure and to try and emulate Space Opera at the same time. But the two notions are fairly exclusive, and though you can hack and kitbash D&D to be more like a given genre, there will always be elements that are quintessentially D&D.

Starfinger is a game that uses the familiar elements of D&D to be more approachable and marketable, but those elements - like classes - make it a failure as a genre RPG. It may seem unfair to both recognize that and judge it as a genre RPG, but I think recognizing the issues with that contradiction is a basic core criticism of the game.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 4, 2017

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
But what genre is D&D exactly?

I mean, we know itīs not Conan, because Howards stories speak of an intelligent rogue who wielded a two-handed sword and was called barbarian due to his enemies being "civilized" snake people.

Itīs not Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, because magic there isnīt ubiqoutus or easy to master, comes with its spoils of danger and rests on the idea that a clever strongman and his wily rogueish friend survive more often by luck and friends than anything else (which it doesnīt model either).

I mean, if we really get down to it...what exactly does DnD model, other than wargaming extended into "free-play" segments where the worth of the characters is no higher than that of other miniatures on the field (as modeled by building NPCs and enemies by almost the same rules as pcs)?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What D&D models at this point is D&D.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
So ARB, you doing spells after feats? I need to know what class to play if I want to use the titular StarFinger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69_-ouSvio

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But I don't get the impression genre emulation is what Starfinger is fundamentally about.

Which is funny because there's always someone blogging out about to recreate [Insert Currently Popular Genre Chracter Here] in Pathfinder

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

D&D makes a lot more sense when you think of it as a single-unit miniatures wargame born of Napoleonics and heavily influenced by pulp fantasy. Stuff like roleplaying and storytelling came out of it, but it was not originally designed around those elements, nor was genre emulation a particular concern. Fantastic elements were mashed on because they seemed interesting or cool, but with no real unified setting or tone.

And so D&D is uniquely what it is, a melange of fantastic and mythical ideas mashed together, but not with any real unifying structure other than what later authors tried to impose on it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Would you believe I actually looked right past your post when I was looking to make sure nobody else made that joke?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And so D&D is uniquely what it is, a melange of fantastic and mythical ideas mashed together, but not with any real unifying structure other than what later authors tried to impose on it.

You can see this especially in some of the development blogs for D&D 4E, which IMO did try to build in some elements of genre emulation into its rules (that genre being basically "the action scenes in the Lord of the Rings movies," but still), only to hit pushback on points like "wizards still need their ten million utility spells that do everything" and "fighters should have fewer skills than other classes."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

D&D makes a lot more sense when you think of it as a single-unit miniatures wargame born of Napoleonics and heavily influenced by pulp fantasy. Stuff like roleplaying and storytelling came out of it, but it was not originally designed around those elements, nor was genre emulation a particular concern. Fantastic elements were mashed on because they seemed interesting or cool, but with no real unified setting or tone.

Indeed. If you can imagine a spin-off of a popular board game that liberally steals ideas from every movie franchise from Harry Potter to Star Wars to the Marvel movies, you can suss out what "genre" D&D belongs to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Cassa posted:

Just my DM, but they've basically been running Profession as our 'one cool thing' because holy poo poo keeping up with skills is super hard.

Yeah, a lot of folks run it that way, and it's a decent fix.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Which is funny because there's always someone blogging out about to recreate [Insert Currently Popular Genre Chracter Here] in Pathfinder

And that's fine, the thing just is if you do Conan in D&D, it's not going to be Conan, its going to be Conan in D&D. The old Lankhmar supplements for AD&D so a decent job at hacking the game to simulate the setting (being a magic- user suuucks in it, for example) but it's still ultimately just Lankhmar-flavored D&D5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Would you believe I actually looked right past your post when I was looking to make sure nobody else made that joke?

Not like I have a monopoly on low hanging jokes anyway.

But I'm pretty sure that Coldstone would be a Robot Gargoyle Frankenstein.