Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

This is probably the best thing to happen to this thread in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I still want out but now that this week has let up somewhat, I'm having good days even when I'm working. Things mostly operate as they should, people mostly work together, I work and go home and do other poo poo as I've always wanted. poo poo's hosed, yo

Them rose tinted glasses work quick.

"It wasn't REALLY that bad! I love Stockholm this time of year!"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Having a wonderful time working a shift that I’m technically unavailable to work, I have two more shifts this week that are on my “mezzanon cannot work these days” schedule.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh poo poo I have three days off next week, two of them consecutive.

I missed you, slow season.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Having a wonderful time working a shift that I’m technically unavailable to work, I have two more shifts this week that are on my “mezzanon cannot work these days” schedule.

The first time anyone shows up for a shift that he/she said well in advance he/she's unavailable for is the last time the scheduler cares or believes him/her concerning unavailability. I'm not saying that it's right and I understand some folks can't afford to risk their job saying no, but I firmly believe that's a lovely truth at most food industry jobs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, after the double from hell last night, I look stoned, despite being 100% sober.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
First brunch of the year went great! I only had to comp 5 meals!

It was a shitshow. :discourse:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

First brunch of the year went great! I only had to comp 5 meals!

It was a shitshow. :discourse:

We had a snowstorm yesterday and two drivers straight up tapped out and refused to do anymore deliveries on the night.

That's a real gently caress move.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

We had a snowstorm yesterday and two drivers straight up tapped out and refused to do anymore deliveries on the night.

Every time you come to share a story, I imagine you as your avatar as it's happening with that exact expression

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hey new guy, can you butcher fish? Really? Great, break down this sword for me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's an easy mistake to make. English is SUCH an ambiguous language.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tunicate posted:

It's an easy mistake to make. English is SUCH an ambiguous language.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Yep. He broke it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You didn't watch him do it?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mezzanon posted:

it's a good move on their part

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thoht posted:

You didn't watch him do it?

Why would I watch him do it? He has butchering skills on his resume, came from a decent hotel, staged well, said he could do it. If I was going to watch him do it, why wouldn't I do it myself? I have other poo poo that needs doing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Why would I watch him do it? He has butchering skills on his resume, came from a decent hotel, staged well, said he could do it. If I was going to watch him do it, why wouldn't I do it myself? I have other poo poo that needs doing.

Always watch the new guy. Training is more than actual "training". It's mostly fixing bad habits people have from their old job. eg, that swordfish, lol.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Always watch the new guy. Training is more than actual "training". It's mostly fixing bad habits people have from their old job. eg, that swordfish, lol.

Bad habits, or good lying skills?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

was the cost of a swordfish more or less than a minute of your time to start him off (edit: or cut him off)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hauki posted:

was the cost of a swordfish more or less than a minute of your time to start him off (edit: or cut him off)

Go gently caress yourself? It was funny, stop trying to make me feel like a shithead.

Edit: yeah, I should have done it myself, or had one of my sous do it. I'm aware of that. Give me a loving break.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 4, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Life goes on.

Even if a sword fish got butchered in more than one way.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I hope you calmly and rationally explained to him exactly what he did wrong, while at the same time constantly pelting him with bits of his fish massacre.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Go gently caress yourself? It was funny, stop trying to make me feel like a shithead.

Edit: yeah, I should have done it myself, or had one of my sous do it. I'm aware of that. Give me a loving break.

I agree that it was funny, I'm giving you (more) poo poo because you seemed to be getting defensive about it in your above post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

FOH talking poo poo here, but isn't that what training actually means? Teaching someone how to do the job they got hired for, no scare quotes necessary?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

tbh im the same way if theres more then like, a few inches on the ground, my old car wasnt the best at going in snow

now that i have no car i take the bus and so hey no problems there anymore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Minimum wage plus lovely tips isn't worth risking your life. The drivers were in the right and you're an assohole for getting mad at them.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Minimum wage plus lovely tips isn't worth risking your life. The drivers were in the right and you're an assohole for getting mad at them.

I didn’t get mad. I said “that’s your decision”. I don’t get paid enough to get mad. The gently caress move is working 5 of the 6 hours of your shift and then less than an hour before close refusing to do anymore deliveries and leaving the one remaining driver to take three triples.

There’s was 3 inches of snow on the ground and that’s not out of the norm for Canada.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Mezzanon posted:

There’s was 3 inches of snow on the ground and that’s not out of the norm for Canada.

I'm in Northern Ontario, and this just made me realize snow should be here the end of this month. And we were just getting our sweat weather on. It never lasts long enough.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

I'm in Northern Ontario, and this just made me realize snow should be here the end of this month. And we were just getting our sweat weather on. It never lasts long enough.

I'm in southern Ontario and I just got home from having a fire outside at my buddy's girl's place and I'm wearing a t-shirt and (was) wearing sandals.

I'm from Saskatchewan originally so I'm still used to snow falling in August. The world is hosed up, yo.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Fun fact: I have to go to an award show today where I got nominated for server of the year. Is it weird that I think that that's depressing as hell? Doesn't it seem kind of inauspicious to be considered the best in a field that has a level of implied transience?

edit: open bar tho

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Bad habits, or good lying skills?

Yes to both. Or he was just taught wrong. Always watch the new guy with every task at least once during the first 1-3 weeks.

Now, if you hired him for management, well, good luck with that.

Getting kinda stir crazy just waiting for the new place to open.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Enjoy your meal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Enjoy your meal.

I have a terrible habit of saying the wrong time of day when people leave the restaurant. "Have a great afternoon," he says to the couple that is walking out the door at 9pm.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

I have a terrible habit of saying the wrong time of day when people leave the restaurant. "Have a great afternoon," he says to the couple that is walking out the door at 9pm.

That's me on doubles. I'll say "tonight" all the time at 9 in the morning.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

That's me on doubles. I'll say "tonight" all the time at 9 in the morning.

Same.

In other news I won the stupid loving server award. Got super drunk and gave a lovely speech. Didn’t even get a trophy I could eat cereal out of :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Working at a new place. Manager sent out a text blast asking for everyone's shoe sizes saying it's time sensitive. If I don't awesome free shoes I'm changing my phone number and not telling them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd take free shoes even if they fall apart in a few months. Get to save your better pair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

I'd take free shoes even if they fall apart in a few months. Get to save your better pair.

Would you take them at the cost of your phone blowing up with random bullshit for hours? If I was a specific kind of pervert it'd be fun to know all of my co workers shoe sizes, but I'm not that kind of pervert.

Also not a fan of blasting my phone number out to everyone I work with.

Edit: Yeah, it's turned creepy because a lot of people listed their shoe size and name instead of just whether you buy mens or womens shoes, and I'm learning coworkers opinions about the size of womens feet.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh boy, got a one star review on Yelp that I got pulled aside to get talked to about for "being inattentive" when I was by the goddamn table every two minutes but forgot to get them ketchup when they asked one time! Totally worth blasting the restaurant and calling me out by name over.

Yelp is a cancer.