Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Please note that they are having to do this in a stadium with a seating capacity of 27,000 that was built for a Major League Soccer team.
At the very least an MLS stadium post-Beckham era is still able to sell out all the seats and have a warm body in them for a head count.

Then, there's the Bolts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I cannot wait to see how empty that stadium is for a mmatchup between the Chargers and the winless Browns.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

finally

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/915547847512162306

e: i know this is of interest to some people here

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/915558209204535296

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

NBC Live Extra has gotten so awful with all the ads and overlays that I'm actually not that upset over F1 moving.

Actually upon immediate reflection, this could blow. NBC shows all the lower level races which are usually entertaining and, if nothing else, hilarious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't ever watched her. Why do we like Katie Nolan?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBC Live Extra's ad problem is easily bypassed by turning on the ad blocker after it's loaded.

WatchESPN is a much, much larger garbage fire.

That's also not getting into the fact that ESPN decided to basically kill off its motorsports division earlier this year.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

NBC Live Extra's ad problem is easily bypassed by turning on the ad blocker after it's loaded.

WatchESPN is a much, much larger garbage fire.

That's also not getting into the fact that ESPN decided to basically kill off its motorsports division earlier this year.

It's not the video ads that bug me. It's all the side clutter. No matter how I run it, I get a tremendous amount of stuttering and latency. I use the xbox app for F1, but they don't show any premier league on there. It wasn't this bad last year but since the new PL season started I've been having fits getting that thing to even function.

I've personally never had issues with Watchespn from the web but oddly enough, Fox Sports Go seems to work the best as far as stability and a lack of crashing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

She's smart and funny and, like most of the good sports pundits, understands that sports are ridiculous.

On the down side, she is from Boston.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's smart and funny and, like most of the good sports pundits, understands that sports are ridiculous.

On the down side, she is from Boston.
So... female Bill Simmons?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crossposting from the F1 thread:

Article out: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/10/04/F1.aspx. NBC wanted a longer deal, F1 didn't (probably because F1 is about to launch an in-house streaming service)

Apparently we're going to get Crofty and Brundle :suicide:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

Please note that they are having to do this in a stadium with a seating capacity of 27,000 that was built for a Major League Soccer team.
I didn't know that initially but that makes it so much funnier.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Katie Nolan needs to work with LeBatard and his crew

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Josh Lyman posted:

She is buddies with him, but has a better grasp of pop culture (being, you know, younger), and takes herself waaaaaaaay less seriously. I like her stuff a lot, so it's nice to see they're not just paying her to not work any more.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Katie Nolan also shits all over idiots who come after her on twitter. She's very good.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Katie Nolan needs to work with LeBatard and his crew

the press release says she's gonna bounce around

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/10/espn-hires-emmy-winning-sports-personality-host-katie-nolan/

yes she should start showing up there

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Bill Simmons is stupid and largely unfunny

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Garbage Time was incredibly good and funny. I hope she gets some type of similar platform at ESPN, but I doubt it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Might as well give her the 6pm Sportscenter slot

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

back to the chargers

this says they got 15,000 more viewers than the london game

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/03/nfl-week-5-in-the-l-a-tv-market-chargers-get-shoved-aside-by-rams-again-in-cbs-situation/

but the raiders got nearly 500,000 more viewers opposite that

whatta disaster

e: and sunday the chargers game is gonna be on cbs' backup station in la, like this is unprecedented

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nolan and Papi on HQ is the dream team I didn't know I needed until now

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Because of poo poo like this:

quote:

ESPN said Wednesday it had hired Katie Nolan, the popular host of Fox Sports 1’s “Garbage Time,” but did not offer details on her exact assignment. “She will have a prominent digital presence while also making appearances across ESPN studio programming. Announcements regarding her specific assignments are forthcoming,” the network said in a statement.

quote:

Nolan said: “I could not be more excited to have a prominent digital presence while also making appearances across ESPN studio programming. When I was a little girl, I always dreamed that one day announcements regarding my specific assignments would be forthcoming.”

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
How loving stupid is Fox Sports for letting a talent like Katie Nolan go? Is it just because they are transforming themselves into the "old men yelling at kneeling clouds" network?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Brand_lacefront/status/652331502173204480
https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/652359031462449152?lang=en

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Do a ladies only sports show on ESPN2 in the afternoons with Nolan and Mina Kimes. I will watch the poo poo out of that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still baffled that FS1 had a legit homegrown talent fall into their laps, the closest thing they had to a breakout star on their crappy network, and actively buried her for a year before letting her go to the competition with barely a fight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

sportsgenius86 posted:

Do a ladies only sports show on ESPN2 in the afternoons with Nolan and Mina Kimes. I will watch the poo poo out of that.

They have a radio show that is basically that. I don't remember what it is called or when it comes on, though. I just know I catch it on the weekends when driving around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

On ESPN airing F1:
https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/915631007683842049
Long and short of it: it'll just be Sky F1's broadcast being aired here.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

They have a radio show that is basically that. I don't remember what it is called or when it comes on, though. I just know I catch it on the weekends when driving around.

Think you're talking about The Trifecta.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Trast posted:

How loving stupid is Fox Sports for letting a talent like Katie Nolan go? Is it just because they are transforming themselves into the "old men yelling at kneeling clouds" network?

She's super talented and I don't think it's her fault but her show got nothing ratings

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
long time wrestling commentator Lance Russell died at 91

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

She's super talented and I don't think it's her fault but her show got nothing ratings

The audience that Fox is going for and the one she appeals to the most aren't one in the same. It's not that she a woman hosting her own show, it's that Britt McHenry would have more success doing that at Fox than Nolan did.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

The audience that Fox is going for and the one she appeals to the most aren't one in the same. It's not that she a woman hosting her own show, it's that Britt McHenry would have more success doing that at Fox than Nolan did.

When she first started there fox wasn't fully dedicated to the trashy embrace debate poo poo they're doing now so she wasn't as weird a fit. And nothing except live sports does well on FS1 anyway so I'm not really blaming her.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
20 bucks says Britt McHenry has her own FS1 show before the year is over

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MourningView posted:

Her show was on at midnight during the week. Plus I think her online presence was pretty strong with Garbage Time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fewer races over-the-air? Good job, well done.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

20 bucks says Britt McHenry has her own FS1 show before the year is over

She's absolute poo poo even at grifting. She can't even poo poo out hot takes worth getting ratiod on Twitter. Clay has delusions that he's Sean Hannity, Britt is a bargain basement Tomi Lahren. We won't be hearing about her for much longer.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I still wonder if Nolan was the one Horowitz hit on and that's why they're pretty much like "yep here's your release no problem"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still wonder if Nolan was the one Horowitz hit on and that's why they're pretty much like "yep here's your release no problem"

I'm pretty sure that was debunked, being that Horowitz was in LA and Nolan in NY.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Trast posted:

Her show was on at midnight during the week. Plus I think her online presence was pretty strong with Garbage Time.

Yeah, I would imagine the podcast, Twitter, and YouTube helped her presence a bunch, but that's tough to translate into TV ratings, and I'll be the first to admit I only ever watched Garbage Time when it was recorded, that time slot was a joke. Still funny that they basically gave her $500 an episode, some interns, and a storage closet to shoot in, and it was still one of the best things on the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/915710885666086912