Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I've had no service in the Mid-Atlantic area since 9/30, and it's really been irritating since nothing VZW has tried seems to fix the issues. Based on some searches, it seems the service issues are happening across the country, regardless of your phone platform. At first I thought this was solely LTE related, but I can't make calls consistently, and incoming calls just go straight to voicemail. Is there any news on what might be causing the outage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pr0craztinazn posted:

I've had no service in the Mid-Atlantic area since 9/30, and it's really been irritating since nothing VZW has tried seems to fix the issues. Based on some searches, it seems the service issues are happening across the country, regardless of your phone platform. At first I thought this was solely LTE related, but I can't make calls consistently, and incoming calls just go straight to voicemail. Is there any news on what might be causing the outage?

No, I had no idea there was an outage, although I don't live near that area anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pr0craztinazn posted:

I've been noticing this sporadically as well in the Northern VA/DC area, but it seems to have markedly improved over the past few days. For a while, though - I could strangely get *Pandora* to stream fine, but asking my phone to visit a website over LTE? Nope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been noticing this sporadically as well in the Northern VA/DC area, but it seems to have markedly improved over the past few days. For a while, though - I could strangely get *Pandora* to stream fine, but asking my phone to visit a website over LTE? Nope.

Oh it's not just me. That's good. Yeah, LTE had been poo poo all weekend.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Hey here's a weird question: With the Pixel2 coming out sometime this week, how would that work if I'm under a business line contract? For whatever reason our company is still tied to 2 year contracts on our phones. I think I probably have like 5 months left on my current contract. Is it like the olden times where I have to wait until my contract is up before I get a new phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Hey here's a weird question: With the Pixel2 coming out sometime this week, how would that work if I'm under a business line contract? For whatever reason our company is still tied to 2 year contracts on our phones. I think I probably have like 5 months left on my current contract. Is it like the olden times where I have to wait until my contract is up before I get a new phone?

Yes, but assuming it's a company with multiple lines you can probably find an eligible line to trade upgrades with. Mileage varies by account.

Businesses can do both two year and device payment. Usually device payment is cheaper, but some businesses are really set on doing two year contracts.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was on a trip to DC and Virginia in August and my Verizon service was trash in DC and Alexandria. Southern Virginia was fine though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, but assuming it's a company with multiple lines you can probably find an eligible line to trade upgrades with. Mileage varies by account.

Businesses can do both two year and device payment. Usually device payment is cheaper, but some businesses are really set on doing two year contracts.

Yeah there's like 5000 people in my company so I'll fight with the phone admins (they're a 3rd party company).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is preordering the Pixel 2 through Verizon, reminder that if you PM me I'll send you a link that gives me credit for the sale, this keeping me employed to provide answers here in the future.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I grabbed a Pixel during last year's Black Friday promo ($27mo - a $17 bill credit). If I wanted to upgrade to a Pixel 2, would there be any reason I couldn't buy a Pixel 2, activate it, sell my current Pixel, and just keep paying the $10/mo for the next ~14 months or however long is left?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“XIII”" post="“477058281”"]
So, I grabbed a Pixel during last year’s Black Friday promo ($27mo - a $17 bill credit). If I wanted to upgrade to a Pixel 2, would there be any reason I couldn’t buy a Pixel 2, activate it, sell my current Pixel, and just keep paying the $10/mo for the next ~14 months or however long is left?
[/quote]

Yup that's fine and the best option.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, Google's got a rather generous buy-back program going at the moment: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/28/16378446/google-store-pixel-2-xl-trade-in-deal

Kinda feel a bit gypped that my having the 128GB XL nets me a whole whopping $10 extra when the NAND during this shortage is likely worth many, many times that, but I'm waiting for the Pixel 3 or "Pixel Ultra" that's being rumored as an iPhone X competitor.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, Google's got a rather generous buy-back program going at the moment: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/28/16378446/google-store-pixel-2-xl-trade-in-deal

Yep, that's largely what made me consider upgrading

Thanks for the quick responses!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

If anyone is preordering the Pixel 2 through Verizon, reminder that if you PM me I'll send you a link that gives me credit for the sale, this keeping me employed to provide answers here in the future.

Everyone should do this. You are awesome and I am glad you are here to answer our questions. Speaking of questions - was that Pixel promotion during Christmas last time the same as the iPhone where you only had to pay off 50% of it? I thought so but my bill says I have to pay off 100% where the three iPhones on my account all say 50% on them. I can PM you my account if needed...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Everyone should do this. You are awesome and I am glad you are here to answer our questions. Speaking of questions - was that Pixel promotion during Christmas last time the same as the iPhone where you only had to pay off 50% of it? I thought so but my bill says I have to pay off 100% where the three iPhones on my account all say 50% on them. I can PM you my account if needed...

Bad news, Pixel never had the yearly upgrade promo. So you can upgrade, but you have to pay off the difference.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Bad news, Pixel never had the yearly upgrade promo. So you can upgrade, but you have to pay off the difference.

D'oh, that means the dude lied to me. I specifically remember him saying it was the same program as the iPhones. Oh well, I still like this phone so I will keep it!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So the OP appears to be from 1997 and I can't read through 408 pages for the answer.

Does my employer discount work on the Verizon unlimited plans? I'm considering switching the Verizon and my employer offers a 22% discount, but the vzw website is horrible and I can't find what plans it applies to.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So the OP appears to be from 1997 and I can't read through 408 pages for the answer.

Does my employer discount work on the Verizon unlimited plans? I'm considering switching the Verizon and my employer offers a 22% discount, but the vzw website is horrible and I can't find what plans it applies to.

No.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It does not. Employer discounts only applied to account access, not line access. The new unlimited plans only have line access, no account access, therefore, no employee discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

D'oh, that means the dude lied to me. I specifically remember him saying it was the same program as the iPhones. Oh well, I still like this phone so I will keep it!

Honestly, it never made sense why it didn't have he yearly upgrade since other flagships all did, so I've seen a lot of reps make that mistake. Still sucks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

To my knowledge, the only discount you can have applied to the Unlimited plans is if you're active duty/retired military or a veteran.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly, it never made sense why it didn't have he yearly upgrade since other flagships all did, so I've seen a lot of reps make that mistake. Still sucks.

I appreciate your help! My new job will take over billing on this line, so I can just upgrade on their dime :hawksin:

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To my knowledge, the only discount you can have applied to the Unlimited plans is if you're active duty/retired military or a veteran.

What is the discount for veterans on those lines? I didn't realize there was one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
FAQ says $15 off unlimited plans, or 15% off the data portion on limited plans.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

Oh it's not just me. That's good. Yeah, LTE had been poo poo all weekend.

LTE has been really bad this weekend in the Cleveland/Cuyahoga County area in Ohio. Getting between 600kbps and 3Mbps on fast.com. Also response to data requests like clicking on pages is very slow.

Maybe there’s just a general overload of the whole system or a cyberattack going on or whatever?

EDIT: might be an overloaded tower when I moved to a different area the latency goes down but still getting crap speeds on fast.com.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 9, 2017

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here is Southern Illinois, I usually have LTE everywhere that I go except for inside some buildings. This last week, I have had 3G all over the place.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Also the auto-pay 'discount' as well. Not much but every bit helps.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did more tests. What was previously 60Mbps is down to six. Verizon’s network around here must be getting much more overloaded.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Did more tests. What was previously 60Mbps is down to six. Verizon’s network around here must be getting much more overloaded.

Riiiiight. More like 'throttled so we can justify giving you less but make sure you keep paying the same price, because we ~need more funds to increase our capacity and service~.'

The FCC is willing to let the telecoms get away with murder now, and the new lie is that their current network ~can't sustain so many customers on high-speed connections~. So while they can't gently caress with your 'unlimited*' data, they can make it progressively shittier to use their network, and blame it on everyone but them ~straining~ their resources, so the FCC gives them ever more freedom to maximize profits.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 10, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Riiiiight. More like 'throttled so we can justify giving you less but make sure you keep paying the same price, because we ~need more funds to increase our capacity and service~.'

The FCC is willing to let the telecoms get away with murder now, and the new lie is that their current network ~can't sustain so many customers on high-speed connections~. So while they can't gently caress with your 'unlimited*' data, they can make it progressively shittier to use their network, and blame it on everyone but them ~straining~ their resources, so the FCC gives them ever more freedom to maximize profits.

Oh, you can have unthrottled data, just pay more.

Can't agree more.

My biggest beef is Verizon basically makes their whole sales pitch on "the network," but the Go Unlimited defeats the purpose. Someone signing up is usually because they want better coverage, and the base unlimited plan literally doesn't guarantee perfect internet coverage (speed wise).

My 2nd biggest beef has become the auto pay discount. Mostly, I've noticed already it's almost like a penalty for poor people, who are less likely or unable to do autopay with checking account. T-Mobile started that trend, so it isn't just Verizon, but I'm not a fan of it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That really sucks and I agree with you there. Literal 90% performance drop in the past two months.

I am on the $85/mo unlimited plan with “premium 4G” whatever the hell that means.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 10, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

That really sucks and I agree with you there. Literal 90% performance drop in the past two months.

I am on the $85/mo unlimited plan with “premium 4G” whatever the hell that means.

Unless something changes drastically, keep a tight grip on that plan. It's $5 less than the current beyond unlimited, so basically you get unlimited data and only network contested at 22GB use instead of at any time.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless something changes drastically, keep a tight grip on that plan. It's $5 less than the current beyond unlimited, so basically you get unlimited data and only network contested at 22GB use instead of at any time.

Gotcha, that’s good advice.

Update: ran a test at work, and got 80Mbps down and 60Mbps up! Sounds like really bad tower congestion in suburban areas or a problem going on.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I used to get 20-30, now I get about 4 down (downtown Chicago, old grandfathered unlimited plan, Pixel phone).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So I have been with Verizon for about ten years. My plan is up for renewal and I am thinking it'll be more cost effective to go to Project Fi. I currently have an iPhone 6S 16gb that I want to upgrade out of, but because of the cost associated with the new iteration of iPhones, I think it's worthwhile to jump back onto the Android platform.

Project Fi would net me more data with less cost overall (presently on unlimited talk/text + 2GB for $68 a month) and it looks like I'm buying a new phone outright to upgrade either way.

Am I missing any Verizon benefits or is my line of thinking correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock posted:

So I have been with Verizon for about ten years. My plan is up for renewal and I am thinking it'll be more cost effective to go to Project Fi. I currently have an iPhone 6S 16gb that I want to upgrade out of, but because of the cost associated with the new iteration of iPhones, I think it's worthwhile to jump back onto the Android platform.

Project Fi would net me more data with less cost overall (presently on unlimited talk/text + 2GB for $68 a month) and it looks like I'm buying a new phone outright to upgrade either way.

Am I missing any Verizon benefits or is my line of thinking correct?

You could go to prepaid Verizon for $40 for 3GB. I think Fi is still cheaper? The main thing is Fi is T-Mobile and Sprint vs Verizon, you're locked into google phones (not a bad thing), and Fi is meant for low data users.

So I think you would be fine with Fi, just things to consider.

Of course, coverage doesn't matter as much if Verizon throttles anyway. For everyone complaint on network speeds, I'm getting 3mb down at my house too. Hopefully it's a network issue vs aggressive network management.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Thanks for the quick and informative response!

I'm in Boulder, CO so coverage isn't an issue for me on a day-to-day basis. It'd be nice to stick with Verizon, but I just don't see the benefits in terms of buying a phone through them or in terms of raw service pricing.

Data isn't huge for me, but some weeks when I'm on the road a lot, I get stung by the overage which pushes me into an extra GB and I end up paying ~$80 for a 3GB plan on any given month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't want to come off as an evangelist and I don't want to step on toes of people that depend on Verizon for a paycheck, but I have to say I've been beyond satisfied switching to T-Mobile (which means Fi would be fine.) I was worried about coverage as well since t-mobile traditionally didn't have great coverage in Western PA. Turns out though, the ads are true and it's leaps and bounds better than it was just 2 years ago.

I've actually only run across places where I have better coverage than before rather than the reverse. My average speeds have been a bit lower (in the 60ish Mbps range rather than over 100) but it sounds like that had gone to poo poo for a lot of people recently so who knows if I still would have been getting that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“19 o’clock”" post="“477249917”"]
Thanks for the quick and informative response!

I’m in Boulder, CO so coverage isn’t an issue for me on a day-to-day basis. It’d be nice to stick with Verizon, but I just don’t see the benefits in terms of buying a phone through them or in terms of raw service pricing.

Data isn’t huge for me, but some weeks when I’m on the road a lot, I get stung by the overage which pushes me into an extra GB and I end up paying ~$80 for a 3GB plan on any given month.
[/quote]

Well, if you're on a single Verizon plan, at the least move to the 5GB single plan while you are debating if you want to switch.

2GB plan: $55 a month

5GB: $60 a month, or $55 with autopay. Only disclaimer is you can only have one smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish there were logic to automatically switch me to 5 bars of 3g vs 1 bar of LTE. If I go to the center of our building my phone will drag along on that 1 bar of LTE all day long. We have a 3g repeater there but unless I put my phone in a filing cabinet, I'll never switch over.

• Locked thread