Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Hahahaha no waaaay I forgot all about Kid Nation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was trying to think of a job that would make you naturally suited for the game but I just kind of kept coming back to "if you're a well rounded person with some strategic mindset, a flexible approach that lets you adapt to the game instead of force the game to your goals, and just enough ruthlessness to make the necessary dirty move when it comes" then you'll probably be a good Survivor player.

As long as your tribe doesn't suck early and you get picked off before the game even really begins.

Or you're TOO well rounded and you get targeted because of it.

Or a tribe swap leaves you as a helpless number on a new tribe.

Or you don't get bit by a spider or drink some funky water or fall in some dangerous rear end challenge.

Or you just can't solve some puzzle.

Survivor is chaos. Find me the job that is juggling chaos while making friends, reading bluffs, and doing crazy athletics and puzzles and I'll recommend a bunch of them.

Going by Sandra's performance and consistency, I would say bank teller. Their athletic program leaves something to be desired, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Hahahaha no waaaay I forgot all about Kid Nation!

I wish there was more. Talk about a social minefield, though.

Of course, I wish Anderson Cooper would host The Mole again even more.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

The Bloop posted:

Of course, I wish Anderson Cooper would host The Mole again even more.

y e s

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

If this was true I'd be buying every extra bonus thing CBS has to offer. Best reality show ever (very narrowly beating out AC's The Mole, which is the only other reality show I would rewatch seasons of).

ApplesandOranges posted:

You'd also think poker players would do well, given their entire profession is based around bluffing and reading tells, but I can't think of a single one on reality shows in general Survivor that has made it to the merge, let alone done well.

Actually the only one I remember is Anna from Worlds Apart, and only because she was an attractive woman who ended up being anti-vax, I think.

Not Survivor, but Vanessa Rousso came in 3rd on Big Brother 17, which was a pretty tough season. Her poker skills often got the better of her, though, and she was really paranoid about everything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So Survivor AU is down to F4.

I'm kind of... ehh? on the four players remaining. Losing both Ziggy and Locky kinda hurt the cast in terms of 'big' personalities. I think the main problem is that Tara and Peter are both pretty bad players - one's too emotional and the other's too inoffensive. Jericho's not a bad player, but he's never really been in danger the whole game and his war analogies kinda grate on me a little. Michelle is the best out of the four remaining, and while she talks up a mean game, she's still a little... no flash and all bang for me. She's not a flashy player, she's effective and under the radar, which is I guess the best option out of the four remaining.

I guess what I'm thinking is that if Ziggy or Locky was still in over Peter, I'd be more pleased going into the final week - I'd have more people to root for than just Michelle, even if they'd be hinging on immunity wins, it's a decent story to sell at FTC.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So Survivor AU is down to F4.

I thought you guys were going to keep that to the old thread?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

So is Simone supposed to be Shirin 2.0?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Lone Goat posted:

So is Simone supposed to be Shirin 2.0?

No, but Joe is Tony 2.0.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lol Cole you doofus

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hmm maybe we were wrong for calling Chrissy a giant dipshit for not using the idol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Hmm maybe we were wrong for calling Chrissy a giant dipshit for not using the idol

It's definitely the most real "fake" idol ever

It'll be even better when Jeff is like "this IS an immunity idol. HOWEVER........"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The lifeguard can't hold her breath.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol at everyone putting the long pieces on the section with the least clearance

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I admire the editors' ability to make Patrick look like a complete space cadet.

Not that they needed a lot of help.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Patrick is retarded

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol at everyone putting the long pieces on the section with the least clearance

I get that it's stressful during challenges, but seriously what the gently caress

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Patrick is retarded

Retarded like a fox

apparently

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sad to report Survivor is inherently racist against Asian women

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I get that it's stressful during challenges, but seriously what the gently caress

That is the prime example of a challenge where if you stopped for like 30 seconds and looked at the loving thing, you'd roll.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Sad to report Survivor is inherently racist against Asian women

I hate the smaller initial tribes because you pretty much have to vote off whoever is physically weakest.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"I've never believed a redhead a day in my life." :lol:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

"I've never believed a redhead a day in my life." :lol:

Post/ avatar combo but seriously loving YIKES

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RIP Simone. Gutted a fish for nothing.

I loved the guy reading the map as 5 feet underwater at a mystery location.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

hes really dumb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
18 new posts? :rip: Survivor thread

I'm really liking Chrissy, she's the only person this season who's displaying forethought and her excitement at getting the alliance with Ben going was sweet.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So far, I feel like Chrissy and Ryan are our primary narrators, which hopefully means they make it far in the game and eventually establish their idol connection. Other than them, I like Ally and Lauren.

Patrick's enormous horse teeth and slightly manic grin terrify me almost as much as Alan's crazy eyes. I feel like he's going for a Greg Buis type clown role, but there is a fine line between silliness and jackassery; no matter what Greg did, it was always clear that there was a brain in his skull. Patrick, not so much.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Greg was creative and clever. Patrick is a child.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, she sucked at gutting that fish. Although it is probably harder to do it with a machete and not a good knife.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like we really haven't seen enough of the Healers to make a good assumption about anyone, but thus far I really like Chrissy, Ali, Ryan and Ben. Chrissy is really interesting to me because she's definitely giving things serious thought but I worry she's a little too confident in herself and won't be able to recognize a real threat until it's too late.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I thought Ali was in a good spot when she was bonding with Simone, consulting with Lauren, and had an irl connection with Patrick. Then I see Ryan go check in with her and they're talking about what's best for the "three" of Ryan/Devon/Ali. What a spot she's in.

Chrissy was my pony/winner pick so it's nice to see her doing well. She and Ben are set up well in that tribe like I figured they would be after Alan's kamikaze attack on JP/Ashley.

In the healers tribe Cole probably blew it by telling Joe to dig by the well instead of just walking down to the beach with him and fruitlessly digging there, although Joe might have figured it out eventually and already was suspicious of Cole having the idol anyway. It seems like Joe and Cole apparently don't have the trust necessary for that idol to bring them together, and that Joe only approached him because he'd been in the water, and now it's driving a wedge between them when both might've otherwise been safe. That tribe is pretty hard to figure out at the moment.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Chrissy and Ryan are both intelligent and intentional players. I don't doubt that both of them will make it far. Chrissy does not come across as authentic/genuine, at least to me, and I think if other players even subconsciously feel that way there is no way she'll win. Ryan comes across as a very real person, and although he is visibly a physical underdog, he is not being portrayed as weak.

I don't think the two of them will be true allies because Chrissy is treating lower-intelligence as an ideal ally trait. I think she will feel threatened by Ryan when they inevitably live on the same beach and it will be a delicious rivalry. But who knows?

I want Ben to be F3 solely so I can see his smile the whole season.

Also, does anyone know what small business Patrick owns? Isn't that just code for "I'm part of an MLM"?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AWarmBody posted:

Also, does anyone know what small business Patrick owns? Isn't that just code for "I'm part of an MLM"?
He owns a local moving company with his brother.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He owns a local moving company with his brother.

Two Men and a Hyuk

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pretty sure Patrick is twins with UFC Fighter, "Smile'n"* Sam Alvey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLlczYjMhQ

*I have no idea why he spells it that way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AWarmBody posted:

There is plenty of small businesses that are not MLM related.

I have a small business, but it's just selling on Ebay, Amazon, and some Local deals.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I actually didn't hate Cole's move. The alternative would be to play dumb and grab the idol himself while Joe goes into the ocean and finds ... nothing. Meanwhile, Joe knows Cole saw the clue and would be naturally suspicious, especially if Cole is a bad liar. Joe clearly likes stirring poo poo up and causing chaos, so a stunt like that could have backfired on Cole big time. For now, he's tentatively okay; he just needs to keep Joe from getting spooked.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I actually didn't hate Cole's move. The alternative would be to play dumb and grab the idol himself while Joe goes into the ocean and finds ... nothing. Meanwhile, Joe knows Cole saw the clue and would be naturally suspicious, especially if Cole is a bad liar. Joe clearly likes stirring poo poo up and causing chaos, so a stunt like that could have backfired on Cole big time. For now, he's tentatively okay; he just needs to keep Joe from getting spooked.

Definitely. Joe shows paranoia to the other players, which is a death sentence. He has shown his tribe mates that he is untrustworthy because he himself displays a lack of trust. In a game where no one is truly trusting, everyone has to appear trusting to further their game. And that's what Cole did right: he showed himself as trustworthy to Joe during a time when Joe was asking him for trust, making it easier for Cole to oust him later.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AWarmBody posted:

I don't think the two of them will be true allies because Chrissy is treating lower-intelligence as an ideal ally trait.
I don't think that's true. She got that little segment where she had a check-in with everyone on her tribe, and then got a confessional about each:
Alan: too erratic
JP: too dumb
Ashley: smart but part of a pair with JP
Ben: just right

But basically she ruled out JP for being dumb, and liked that Ashley was smart and her issue there was mostly that she was attached to JP.

Then when she made her little plans with Ben she told him "we can go forward with Alan or we can go forward with Ashley" making it sound like JP wasn't really someone she was looking at working with.

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's true but basically I think Cole was put in a worse position as soon as Joe turned his attention on him. if he hadn't helped Joe get the idol, Joe would be paranoid that Cole had the idol. He does help Joe get the idol, and Joe becomes paranoid about Cole knowing he has the idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

That's true but basically I think Cole was put in a worse position as soon as Joe turned his attention on him. if he hadn't helped Joe get the idol, Joe would be paranoid that Cole had the idol. He does help Joe get the idol, and Joe becomes paranoid about Cole knowing he has the idol.

Editing. That was a sound bite. Cole seems to be off Joe's radar, but Joe can cook up a reason to get rid of anybody so it fit in the episode. He's erratic, but he's not a complete moron. His sights still seem focused on Mike(?), regardless of a budding affection for the guy.

• Locked thread