Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
New chapters are up, obviously.

Oh myyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Come on. Spoil that poo poo already!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe they won't gently caress up being a couple through direct fault of their own. Maybe instead the world will ruin it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Habibi posted:

Come on. Spoil that poo poo already!

Kaladin surrenders to the bunch of parshmen ex-slaves he's been following around. They don't appear to be dangerous right now, being in neither warform nor stormform.

Adolin and Shallan have a date night, NO MATING, while they eat dinner and try to analyze the clues to the latest murder. Adolin is obviously convinced that it's a copycat murderer.

Adolin asks to train Shallan with her new shardblade. Shallan uses Stormlight and creates an idealized version of herself, the Brightness Radiant, to take on the training as she still feels the negative emotions from the series of events resulting in her acquisition of Pattern.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Theory: the second murder is related to how Adolin finds his spren and becomes a Knight Radiant. It's a miscarriage of justice that "balances the scales" somehow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Theory: the second murder is related to how Adolin finds his spren and becomes a Knight Radiant. It's a miscarriage of justice that "balances the scales" somehow.

I'd have to say that Adolin becoming a Skybreaker would be weird and I don't think Nale would consider his murder of Sadeas to be justified (even though it definitely was), but given how he viewed and treated his sword if he does become a radiant I bet he revives his current sword's spren. Someone (syl?) mentioned that it was technically possible to do so.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd have to say that Adolin becoming a Skybreaker would be weird and I don't think Nale would consider his murder of Sadeas to be justified (even though it definitely was), but given how he viewed and treated his sword if he does become a radiant I bet he revives his current sword's spren. Someone (syl?) mentioned that it was technically possible to do so.

Sadeas has some unpaid parking tickets, Nale will rubberstamp the murder

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sadeas deserved to die eight different ways, and in Alethkar its probably acceptable for a crown prince to execute a criminal.

Edit: The Book Barn › Brandon Sanderson: No mating. NO MATING!

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 27, 2017

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
At 7pm utah time, you can preorder signed and possibly numbered copies of oathbringer.
https://brandonsanderson.com/oathbringer-release-party/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm pissed the shipping copy's website isn't working.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cartoon Man posted:

Hello Sanderson thread. I used to keep up with all things Sanderson, but for whatever reason I quit reading after Stormlight book 2. I see that book 3 is coming out soon and I’ve got a nice hardcover on preorder to go with my other two. (Love all the drawings and artwork that show up in those books, it’s just not the same with an ebook.). I see he’s written a ton of shorter stuff in past few years and I wanted to ask if any of it is “must read” before book three comes out. I think the last short story of his I read was Emporer’s Soul which loving owned.

Arcanum Unbounded is well worth it. Edgedancer + a bunch of the short stories plus the secret Ghost Kelsier story.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
There's a kickstarter for mistborn coins, cheapest is $14 for one coin. However, if you are space rich you can get 37 coins (one of which will have been sent to the stratosphere for some reason) for only $350.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shirepostmint/mistborn-coins?ref=5urvn4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Gardenator posted:

There's a kickstarter for mistborn coins, cheapest is $14 for one coin. However, if you are space rich you can get 37 coins (one of which will have been sent to the stratosphere for some reason) for only $350.

That's like the third one within the last two months

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Gardenator posted:

I love to buy things that have been Near Space.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I like Brandon and all, but $13 for a little coin is... dumb.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
the spoiler black line is awesome

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
New posting, new spoilers.

So the echo killer is definitely A Thing and now Shallan's working on it, which means my Adolin theory goes halfway out the window.

I'm not convinced the spren in the parshmen camp is a voidspren...

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Looks like it's Shallan's turn for a shame spiral towards more personal reflection.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BraveJoe posted:

the spoiler black line is awesome

i was not expecting the Champion of Odium to show up this early! who would have thought it would end up being Breeze?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I like how we're getting an Honor Blade infodump via Dalinar's understandable questions. So yep, they can work Oathgates and he'd be able to use it (though SF seemed a bit freaked out at the general usage of it, period). Nice idea to hide it in the shitter, I guess, but that just screams "it's going to be stolen" for later.
Syl has been uncertain of spren before, but she seems to have a handle on what is of Odium and what isn't. She described Pattern as "revolting, but not evil" and the only ones more opposed than Honorspren to Cryptics are the Bloods. :downsrim:

Guessing the "Plan" is to fix the parshmen on the first pass, create confusion with suddenly sapient servants just wanting to live in peace, then hulk them out on the next pass. Twisting the knife seems appropriate for the embodiment of Hate to do.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
New 10/3 spoilers. I thought this was pretty funny: Dalinar: "So whats the deal with shardplate?" Stormfather aka Brandon: "RAFO :troll:"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nice tidbit too. Basically confirms the working theory that "you get it after you level up enough."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So the stormfather simultaneously bonds three people. I know he said that he will never become a shardblade, but I'm holding out hope that, in the final battle, he will relax that principle and become a three-pilot mechwarrior with a shardblade the size of a village

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It Takes A Village-sized mobie suit shardplate Gundam

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

So I think Odium's plan is to make the parshmen whole again (as we saw in these chapters), and allow them to interact with the "humans," knowing that the humans will reject them out of fear (knowing they're voidbringers) and hatred (because they were slaves). The parshmen will then turn to Odium out of resentment (odium, literally: general or widespread hatred or disgust directed toward someone as a result of their actions), which was his game all along. Thus, Honor's directive of "Unite them" was about ALL living things on Roshar, as a way of combating Odium, which Gavilar knew (we saw in the prologue that he wanted to work with the parshmen). In Eshonai's POV chapters we learned that the parshmen don't actually like Odium because they sorta recognize he's bad. But they will turn to him out of desperation and hatred.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Not sure how new this is, but Sanderson's put up a few chapters from the 2003 version of TWoK and a chapter from the unpublished Dragonsteel.

https://brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-prime-jeksonsonvallano/ kicks off the section /w a drop down menu for the chapters.

It's uh...pretty rough. You can definitely see a lot of growth in the intervening decade.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

So the stormfather simultaneously bonds three people. I know he said that he will never become a shardblade, but I'm holding out hope that, in the final battle, he will relax that principle and become a three-pilot mechwarrior with a shardblade the size of a village

I thought there were just three different big spren?

Maybe they could voltron?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I can't believe no one is talking about [end of latest Dalinar chapter]Dalinar remembering his wife's name. This is because he's about to forget Navani, isn't it? Poor guy. :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I can't believe no one is talking about [end of latest Dalinar chapter]Dalinar remembering his wife's name. This is because he's about to forget Navani, isn't it? Poor guy. :(

I hadn't considered this possibility, but wow, yeah. Talk about badly worded wishes.

The non-nightmare variety is just stormlight/nahel bond fixing him.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

I hadn't considered this possibility, but wow, yeah. Talk about badly worded wishes.

The non-nightmare variety is just stormlight/nahel bond fixing him.

If that were the case, what about Lift's boon/curse? She's bonded and still has hers in place. Maybe it's an honor/cultivation thing since it's widely speculated that the Nightmother is Cultivation, and I think Edgedancers are Cultivation-based.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lift mentions in edgedancer that she IS changing, though

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tunicate posted:

lift mentions in edgedancer that she IS changing, though

In more ways than growing up?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

regarding Dalinar's wife: sweet jesus

Like, this is going to bite him in the rear end, hard. As in "Alethcar is now rebelling against you" hard

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
Question theory - will the Nightwatcher and all involved with (him/her?), be explained in Oathbringer - i haven't read any of the released chapters yet. but so far we have next to nothing on the Nightwatcher.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BraveJoe posted:

Question theory - will the Nightwatcher and all involved with (him/her?), be explained in Oathbringer - i haven't read any of the released chapters yet. but so far we have next to nothing on the Nightwatcher.

i'd bet we get more rumors and little bits of things that'll advance fan theories but nothing conclusive

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

BraveJoe posted:

If the just-posted spoilered-theory is correct, I think that will get A Lot of attention in this book. But if not, then it'll probably just be hints and references, maybe.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

BraveJoe posted:

Well this is the book where we get flashbacks from Dalinar's life. It feels likely that we'll get to see him going to the Nightwatcher because it's a relatively easy place to have a main character go see her without trying to make up a reason to have someone go while they're trying to deal with an oncoming war. And hopefully let us learn what his boon and curse are.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
sounds like the perfect time to tell us Dalinar is the kings real daddy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BraveJoe posted:

sounds like the perfect time to tell us Dalinar is the kings real daddy

the king's real father is demoux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ordered a signed and personalized copy today. Only one more month.