Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Seth Mcfarland's best moment in the series so far is when that one bortus in episode 3 wanted to take Orville Bortus and Klyden on his ship and Mcfarland told him to gently caress off. That was the kind of captaining you can really get behind

What I love about this, and it's a small thing, is that for a lot of newer shows, they would "forget" the in-universe consistency for the sake of drama.

He told the Moclan to gently caress off, and said "look, you're part of The Federation Union same as we are! You can't just threaten us!"

Star Trek would absolutely go into legalize about The Federation that way. But I could see a lot of new shows not wanting to get bogged down in politics continuity and just way "yeah, have their planet threaten The Orville militarily, that'd be cool!"

And the viewers would be like "huh?"

This shows he's really thinking about the world he's building.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
[quote="“Eiba”" post="“477066398”"]
Oh, she was Furiosa? Cool. Didn’t recognize her.
[/quote]

I can sympathise. It's hard to focus on anything else in that movie when you have Nicholas Hoult standing around shirtless the whole time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Context please.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

That was Scarlett Johansson getting groped by some douche at the golden globes in 2006.
https://www.today.com/popculture/no-apologies-isaac-mizrahi-wbna11486717

Not sure what that has to do with Charlize Theron. Or maybe it’s something to do with the trailer for the next episode, which I haven’t watched..?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I finally got around to finishing episode 4-- and drat this show would be 100000% better if Seth McFarlane was switched roles with his ex wife character.

Him being the #1 on the ship would be far better than him being captain, especially with the dynamic of his ex wife being his boss.

Also, jeez the lighting on this show. There is just something... off about it. It makes the show seem cheap.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 5, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

jeeves posted:

Also, jeez the lighting on this show. There is just something... off about it. It makes the show seem cheap.

It's deliberately evoking the flat lighting from TNG. Which looks cheap, but I think that's kind of the point.

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Alara lost her eyebrows again? Probably a production order thing or a shot from an earlier episode. She looks better with them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nestorix posted:

Alara lost her eyebrows again? Probably a production order thing or a shot from an earlier episode. She looks better with them.

I think she looks better without them but looks crazy hot with them. Seems like her character is human-with-strongness rather than anything really alien so makes sense to stick with the eyebrows.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What if she just shaves her eyebrows irregularly and if she forgot for a few weeks she'd look like Leonid Brezhnev

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hope they retcon her ability to suck her eyebrows back into her forehead at will, just to explain the continuity error

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing about this show that I'm not sold on is that the plots they're dealing with seem more appropriate to a show in its 3rd or 4th season than the first. TNG could hit the ground running because it had a well established world to play in. I get that Orville is basically piggybacking off its intended audience's familiarity with the Trek universe, that's fine, but I don't think that the characters are established enough that the plots dealing specifically with them are earned enough. We don't know much about Alara when she gets put in command and struggles with it; compare that to the season six TNG episode where Troi gets "put in command" and struggles with it. Since we know about Troi's character, we know why she's struggling with the decisions and the ultimate resolution is interesting because it requires the character to act contrary to her normal patterns. We don't know much about Alara, so the payoff is lessened. Likewise, the Bortas child plot would have had a lot more impact if we knew more about the character, knew more about his culture and knew more about his relationship with his mate. Now, the allegorical "ripped from the headlines" plot could not be more Star Trek so it was still good, but it felt like the show was expecting the audience to meet it more than halfway when it comes to character arcs in individual episodes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a Fox show, they have to hit the ground running or they'll get cancelled.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eh, I think we know enough about Alara(young, inexperienced, fast tracked through academy) we can accept a trouble dealing with command episode, and get having to balance earning the crews respect versus showing them who's in command. Honestly it speaks poorly to Troi we didn't really know anything about her until season six other than: likes ice cream, terrified of dealing with her mother, used to date Riker.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Kurieg posted:

It's a Fox show, they have to hit the ground running or they'll get cancelled.

I miss Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Eh, I think we know enough about Alara(young, inexperienced, fast tracked through academy) we can accept a trouble dealing with command episode, and get having to balance earning the crews respect versus showing them who's in command. Honestly it speaks poorly to Troi we didn't really know anything about her until season six other than: likes ice cream, terrified of dealing with her mother, used to date Riker.

may or may not be telepathetic

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its going to turn out that shaving eyebrows is Alara's species equivalent of shaving your legs and she is their version of a second wave feminist.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

What if she just shaves her eyebrows irregularly and if she forgot for a few weeks she'd look like Leonid Brezhnev

?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe this is actually the episode that was second in production order, if her eyebrows are gone again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe this is actually the episode that was second in production order, if her eyebrows are gone again.

I'm hoping Alara with eyebrows is actually Mirror Universe Alara. She's not evil or anything, she teamed up with regular Alara and they sometimes switch places.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

I'm hoping Alara with eyebrows is actually Mirror Universe Alara. She's not evil or anything, she teamed up with regular Alara and they sometimes switch places.

Mirror Universe Orville could take a page out of the Seinfeld paybook and make the mirrors do-gooders. Give them all ridiculous sideburns or handlebar mustaches.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I miss Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

I miss Firefly.

There, I said it.

:colbert:

eyebeem posted:

Mirror Universe Orville could take a page out of the Seinfeld paybook and make the mirrors do-gooders. Give them all ridiculous sideburns or handlebar mustaches.

This is a good idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

One thing about this show that I'm not sold on is that the plots they're dealing with seem more appropriate to a show in its 3rd or 4th season than the first. TNG could hit the ground running because it had a well established world to play in. I get that Orville is basically piggybacking off its intended audience's familiarity with the Trek universe, that's fine, but I don't think that the characters are established enough that the plots dealing specifically with them are earned enough. We don't know much about Alara when she gets put in command and struggles with it; compare that to the season six TNG episode where Troi gets "put in command" and struggles with it. Since we know about Troi's character, we know why she's struggling with the decisions and the ultimate resolution is interesting because it requires the character to act contrary to her normal patterns. We don't know much about Alara, so the payoff is lessened. Likewise, the Bortas child plot would have had a lot more impact if we knew more about the character, knew more about his culture and knew more about his relationship with his mate. Now, the allegorical "ripped from the headlines" plot could not be more Star Trek so it was still good, but it felt like the show was expecting the audience to meet it more than halfway when it comes to character arcs in individual episodes.

What are you talking about? Nothing in universe needs to be known for these situations. We know as much as the characters do. When Alara takes command, everything is new for her as she just started her career, just as everything there is new for us. When the Bortuses do their thing, we don't know anything about their culture yet, just as most of the crew don't know much yet either. I'd agree with you if they put something new into the show as if we should have already known about it, but they haven't.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

Mirror Universe Orville should just be the cast of Seinfeld.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

swickles posted:

Its going to turn out that shaving eyebrows is Alara's species equivalent of shaving your legs and she is their version of a second wave feminist.

Yeah, betting that the eyebrows will be acknowledged in the show somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gets a seat in the middle of the command bridge despite just being the therapist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jellicoe was right to make her wear a standard uniform imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zoux posted:

Jellicoe was right to make her wear a standard uniform imo.

Jellicoe was right about a lot of things, TBH.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Four shifts is just better. Everyone gets more downtime. gently caress you Riker.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Gets a seat in the middle of the command bridge despite just being the therapist.

She was originally going to have 4 breasts. I think we know why Gene wanted her front and centre.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Four shifts is just better. Everyone gets more downtime. gently caress you Riker.

Unsurprising that DS9 adopted it without much trouble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

THERE. ARE. FOUR. SHIFTS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Unsurprising that DS9 adopted it without much trouble.

The days there were 26 hours long!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't even understand why Riker objected to it. "Our people need more sleep, we have a lot of people, so run 4 six hour shifts." "gently caress YOU DAD! WE'RE GONNA RUN 8 HOUR SHIFTS WITH NO BREAKS! I'LL SHOW YOU!" When I first watched that episode, I figured the lines must have been backwards or something and that it should have been Jellicoe demanding 3 shifts and Riker saying people wouldn't be able to handle the extra workload.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't even understand why Riker objected to it. "Our people need more sleep, we have a lot of people, so run 4 six hour shifts." "gently caress YOU DAD! WE'RE GONNA RUN 8 HOUR SHIFTS WITH NO BREAKS! I'LL SHOW YOU!" When I first watched that episode, I figured the lines must have been backwards or something and that it should have been Jellicoe demanding 3 shifts and Riker saying people wouldn't be able to handle the extra workload.

90s TV writers didn't actually know what a shift was, and assumed more was bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't actually know very much about scheduling so I could be way wrong but wouldn't a four-shift schedule either mean you have fewer people active per shift, more common double-shifts in people's schedules, or a dreadful-sounding six-on six-off pattern happening sometimes?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bruceski posted:

What do you think Yar and Worf's reaction was when they first stepped on the bridge and asked where they sit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't actually know very much about scheduling so I could be way wrong but wouldn't a four-shift schedule either mean you have fewer people active per shift, more common double-shifts in people's schedules, or a dreadful-sounding six-on six-off pattern happening sometimes?

The enterprise can hold a poo poo ton of people. Plus a lot of the stations seem kind of redundant. If you look at a diagram of the bridge, there are stations for like science officer 3, and tactical station 4. Plus Beverly showed you can fly the ship with just one person apparently. So you might lose one or two people per shift, or maybe people just don't get days off during the war time situation, so people who would normally have a day off or whatever, are now part of the fourth shift.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's why you have a dog watch. Nobody has regular double shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also made it sound like he was just going to run the engineering department into the ground with exhaustion (didn't he basically order to them to all work around the clock to put in some modifications?) which on the one hand seems like a bad idea for people working on a ship with dangerous machinery, but on the other hand sounds 100% authentic to what the Navy does presently