Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

God, I hope they don't go the obvious sitcom route of Jimmy's newfound status is in danger if Gretchen tells people how he treated her.

this happened this week and it was loving *phenomenal*

Gretchen is a mad woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Oh drat, I knew I forgot to do something. This is shaping up to be an interesting season. Edgar's arc this season seems a little weak so far though

His arc is: Hey I'm doing fine, for now

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What movie was the creepy music queue from (flute and violin) - when Gretchen went downstairs after hugging Shitstain and Sam and before "Mushroom cloud, bitch"?
It's driving me crazy.

Love this show so much. Already half way through the season and they just got back.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 28, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was sick and probably my favourite of the season so far

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
At this point I'm still not sure how there can be any sort of mending of this situation. Looks like just war of the roses. though, like their past seasons, I had no idea where they were going mid getting there. Entertaining to watch all the way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think ultimately she'll realize that he snapped and he needs help, just doesn't know how to admit it. I don't think they'll get back together this season, but maybe they'll both realize how hosed up they are yet again and decide to try and fix themselves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought that episode was pretty great, not as good in terms of character development as the first few but funnier and more business as usual.

Medullah posted:

I think ultimately she'll realize that he snapped and he needs help, just doesn't know how to admit it. I don't think they'll get back together this season, but maybe they'll both realize how hosed up they are yet again and decide to try and fix themselves.
Gretchen has also a massively broken brain so you'd think they'll be great together, but I doubt it actually works that way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PAUL IS AN MRA THIS IS NOT A DRILL PAUL IS AN MRA

They're really leaning into that show title this year between Paul's redpilling and Becca's Trumpism.

we may have to seriously consider that Vernon is literally the best person on the show. (aside from Edgar, assuming you discount his past as a drug addict and bad soldier in the middle east)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Of course Paul is MRA now. And like any Nazi should be, he was punched by the dude who punched Richard Spencer.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

They're really leaning into that show title this year between Paul's redpilling and Becca's Trumpism.

we may have to seriously consider that Vernon is literally the best person on the show. (aside from Edgar, assuming you discount his past as a drug addict and bad soldier in the middle east)

Vernon is almost definitely the best on the show.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about this season. I don't really see there being a future with Boone anyway, because he's got a daughter. Jimmy might finally be starting to realize a little that it's time to grow up, too, but I don't know.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

Vernon is almost definitely the best on the show.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about this season. I don't really see there being a future with Boone anyway, because he's got a daughter. Jimmy might finally be starting to realize a little that it's time to grow up, too, but I don't know.

normally I'd agree with you, but the absolutely vicious way Boone dealt with his ex's new husband makes me think he and Gretchen might be perfect for one another.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Jimmy taking this long to realize how poo poo has hit fan so badly and admitting it seems like too long into the season. But yeah, not sure how they figure out any method to put the Jimmy and Gretchen relationship back together again.

And we always knew Vernon was the best person on the show. Did the trash juice not give it away?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Paul as an MRA was loving hilarious

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

normally I'd agree with you, but the absolutely vicious way Boone dealt with his ex's new husband makes me think he and Gretchen might be perfect for one another.

Very true. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but that may not happen. There are so many things that seem like they could go either way on this show.

Boone's horrified reactions to Gretchen's blowup over his "wife" are hilarious in hindsight, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

Very true. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but that may not happen. There are so many things that seem like they could go either way on this show.

The AV Club review really makes a great point of this: the characters on this show are kinda growing away from each other. Obviously Lindsey and Edgar are slowly getting to the point where they're better friends with each other than they were/are with Gretchen and Jimmy, and those two are both exploring new avenues of their lives that will definitely not lead them back to each other. I can't (and don't want to) see a finale that blows everything up and returns to the status quo, and honestly if the show were to end after this season, with Gretch and Boone being rear end in a top hat gently caress buddies and Gretchen learning to care for a child, Jimmy fully giving into the erotica writing community and becoming a sad lonely man who fucks any lonely 43 year old woman who likes his writing, and Lindsey and Edgar living together as successful people with progressing careers, I'd be perfectly OK with that. Sometimes relationships aren't the ones that last forever. Jimmy is either going to have to change or end up unhappy though; I can't see him getting a happy ending without making a massive change to who he is as a person.

Also, I had some severe worries about pairing Lindsey and Edgar at the start of this season, but the longer it goes on, the more it makes sense. They're at roughly the same part of their lives, with very complimentary mindsets, and the two of them showing genuine interest in each other is actually very sweet. Probably about as sweet as the show gets.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

The AV Club review really makes a great point of this: the characters on this show are kinda growing away from each other.

I'm gonna leave you anyway.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

The AV Club review really makes a great point of this: the characters on this show are kinda growing away from each other. Obviously Lindsey and Edgar are slowly getting to the point where they're better friends with each other than they were/are with Gretchen and Jimmy, and those two are both exploring new avenues of their lives that will definitely not lead them back to each other. I can't (and don't want to) see a finale that blows everything up and returns to the status quo, and honestly if the show were to end after this season, with Gretch and Boone being rear end in a top hat gently caress buddies and Gretchen learning to care for a child, Jimmy fully giving into the erotica writing community and becoming a sad lonely man who fucks any lonely 43 year old woman who likes his writing, and Lindsey and Edgar living together as successful people with progressing careers, I'd be perfectly OK with that. Sometimes relationships aren't the ones that last forever. Jimmy is either going to have to change or end up unhappy though; I can't see him getting a happy ending without making a massive change to who he is as a person.

Also, I had some severe worries about pairing Lindsey and Edgar at the start of this season, but the longer it goes on, the more it makes sense. They're at roughly the same part of their lives, with very complimentary mindsets, and the two of them showing genuine interest in each other is actually very sweet. Probably about as sweet as the show gets.

That's a really tough balance to pull off. You don't want to stagnate because the show gets way too repetitive (and you could say that it maybe was doing that already last season) but if you too radically alter the central core of the show you can alienate your audience. I'm not saying that'll happen, since I'm not sure it's that kind of show. I think what they've got is worth continuing to watch, and I'm curious to see which way it goes. Jimmy absolutely cannot keep things as they are currently. Maybe his going to that poorly-named conference is part of that, because it used to represent a genre he thought was beneath him.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

DC Murderverse posted:

I looked up a picture of Richard Spencer to compare the haircuts and holy poo poo, Paul was wearing the exact same outfit as Spencer in the second image that comes up, down to the striped shirt:

Brilliant.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

MRA Paul is the single best thing about this season so far.

The Olivia fight is a close second though.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
this feels like the out of date internet reference season

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno, MRA feels like the completely logical development of where Paul's mind was at last season.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vhak lord of hate posted:

this feels like the out of date internet reference season

uh, the it's fine dog is a classic that never goes out of style, same with douchey MRAs/nazis getting their clocks cleaned

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tonight's reminded me a lot of the indy game Night in the Woods, just aged up a bit.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I'm just not sure how it advanced the story along more other than breaking Gretchen some more, which, let's be real, she was already a broken character. Interesting take and character study episode, but I guess with what they have us currently hooked in on, was hoping for something on that front.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was a fuckin good episode. I felt the same way as the above poster about last season when it was on (too many one-off episodes that - while great - left the season’s main storyline a little thin and rushed), but it worked a lot better on rewatch.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

holy gently caress what is going on in this episode

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Something pretty amazing.
Gretchen realising, or not realising, that she only interprets what she wants as the truth?
Not sure where it'll go but once again this show is knocking the psychological aspects out of the park.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This show is such a rollercoaster. I remember seeing the previews and thinking "finally, a good looking dark comedy", and it still is hilarious. And then season 2 happened and shattered my heart into a million pieces on a level only achieved by Parenthood and it's so many ups and downs and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love every minute of it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

Gretchen is the worst.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gretchen watching the kid eat that cat food was one of them most horrifying things I've seen on TV recently.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mameluke posted:

Gretchen watching the kid eat that cat food was one of them most horrifying things I've seen on TV recently.

I give my cat one can of food every night and when I opened it tonight and dumped it onto a little paper plate for him I gagged a little, thinking about that poor 16 year old who just wanted his dick sucked (but he's totally had sex. like full sex.)

this also really felt like a little tribute to Girls, considering the combination of Zosia Mamet, thankfully not just playing a variant of Shoshana, but who still gets the funniest line of the evening ("DON'T BE A PUSSY!"), the story of the return to a midwestern family home from the big city at a point of upheaval, and the fact that the only guys we see in the show are gross and sad (aside from the brief shot of Gretchen's dad). It felt like that sort of storytelling, especially considering the cast of Girls was well allowed to be the worst people on many occasions. I dunno if I think that Hannah Horvath would have offered to suck a teenager's dick if he ate a can of cat food, but "goes back home, reconnects with a best friend only to discover that the friendship was really different than thought" is very Dunhamian.

Of course, nothing will ever top the quintessential "terrible person goes home and attempts to rekindle the feeling of being a teenager through any means necessary" story: Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman's Young Adult.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mameluke posted:

That was awful, and then the last few minutes with Gretchen not realising/remembering how she was in high school absolutely crushed me.

Great episode. I need a hug.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode was great, Gretchen is a walking, talking dumpster fire.

Who I've long ago stopped feeling sorry for, to be honest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

That whole sequence was depraved.

Like everyone was just gonna watch it happen?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Darkest thing in a tv comedy I can recall.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Pocket Billiards posted:

Darkest thing in a tv comedy I can recall.

Necrophilia on Deadbeat? Russian mail order child bride on The Detour?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....should I be watching The Detour

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

....should I be watching The Detour

Definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can't decide whether this is the beginning of a road to real friendship for Jimmy and Gretchen or if Jimmy is opening up to get hurt again.

• Locked thread