Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RobotDogPolice posted:

Having fun with this so far, my brother and I took turns playing solo while hanging out. The fun kind of came to an end when we had several games in a row with blatant aim hacks though. When someone kills me I usually assume they just got the drop on me or had better aim but these guys were tracking people through walls perfectly, or their aim would snap to someone they hadn't even seen yet.

I don't get it. It has to be such a hollow and meaningless victory.

Duo with your brother. It's what I've been doing with my bro and it's been a blast. Figured there'd be a higher rate of hacking going in solo since there would be more kills to get. I haven't run into any hackers yet while playing squads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Getting cheaters banned in f2p games do help in my experience. Only the most raving insane gurf/dare-likes keep registering after a few bans.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
according to ~reddit~ you can ban evade via registry editing, because the ban is for some insane reason client side

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Minrad posted:

according to ~reddit~ you can ban evade via registry editing, because the ban is for some insane reason client side

:pusheen:

I saw someone in chat talk about it but I refused to believe it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Considering the game is still Early Access, it makes some sense to leave the system open somewhat, let hackers blow their load now, and patch up everything they are doing for the full release.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If people try the game now and leave because of hackers they're probably not coming back. Let's be honest, early access is pretty meaningless. This game is released.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/915581141314351107

:hellyeah: won our second duo queue, got a legendary assault rifle fromsupply drop :hellyeah:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is the SCAR the only legendary weapon in Battle Royal?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
nah I've gotten legendary snipers and RPGs before. think that's it though

I came so close to winning with the stairway to heaven strat last night, definitely gonna get it today. made it to 3 people alive when someone looked up and shot me down, and another top 5 attempt where I ran out of building materials and died to the storm :(. I couldn't even run back down my stairway to gather more because the storm was right on my rear end. I definitely would have won that round with 0 kills if I had more brick.

highly recommended, it's a lot of fun

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think you can get legendary Tactical SMGs also. Pretty sure I got one once.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Only legendary/orange weapon I've gotten in game was an RPG. I've looted plenty of epic/purple weapons though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just had a supply drop drop in the middle of a tiny circle with 4 of us left, pretty cool addition and I think two of the dudes running towards it helped me get second place. I lost by 7 HP :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So the devs are considering changing every weapon to be projectile instead of hitscan... interesting.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yup, full details

Weapon Accuracy
Almost all of our weapons are hitscan (Sniper Rifles are the exception). That means when you fire, there is no travel time and the target is hit instantaneously. We initially started with very high accuracy on our weapons. This often led to being shot by someone who you couldn’t see, making crossing open fields too risky. It led to more conservative play, and camping became dominant. It also didn’t differentiate the weapons well – if a Pistol can kill people at the same range as a Rifle, were there enough other differences? Engagement strategy is a key component of our combat (including building walls), and if you don’t have time to defensively respond to being shot, we lose out on what Fortnite’s building brings to the table.

So, what are we doing going forward? There’s a few additional approaches:

Some weapons don’t quite live up to their expectations. The biggest culprits are the Assault Rifles and the SMGs which were recently adjusted. We’ll continue to evaluate and there may be more incremental improvements, not a radical adjustments.

It can be unclear what improves accuracy. Standing still, crouching, and aiming (instead of hip-firing) all have some form of impact on accuracy. We’ll look into ways to improve usability on the reticle, including improved readability of your accuracy cone. We’ll be running prototypes using more recoil and reducing accuracy penalties. The idea behind this is that the first shot will have higher accuracy (but again, not perfect) and then subsequent shots will require slightly more skill. These will be incremental adjustments until we find the sweet spot.

Lastly, enabling projectiles for all weapons (not just the Sniper Rifle) is something we’d like to explore. Doing this would allow for tighter accuracy overall. We’ve run prototypes internally and it shows promise, but there are challenges preventing us from turning it on. Once those are sorted out, we’ll consider running a broader test.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
lol epic is going to crush bluehole. One has been making shooters for probably longer than PU is old.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Agoat posted:

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS

Why not?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Agoat posted:

PLEASE DO THIS

It will be awesome my dude

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Zigmidge posted:

lol epic is going to crush bluehole. One has been making shooters for probably longer than PU is old.

They could happily coexist, too. The market's obviously big enough, and fortnite is less likely to do things like go as hardcore ARMA/first person, etc.

And if bluehole's smart, they'll benefit from engine enhancements that Epic's making for large landmasses, etc.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All projectile weapons would own.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Fayk posted:

They could happily coexist, too. The market's obviously big enough, and fortnite is less likely to do things like go as hardcore ARMA/first person, etc.

And if bluehole's smart, they'll benefit from engine enhancements that Epic's making for large landmasses, etc.

Or one will receive constant updates and improvements while the dayz crowd gamers find another hopes and dreams to move on to

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Snak posted:

All projectile weapons would own.

Completely agree.
It's a reason I live Overwatch so much. Soldier has a hitscan rifle because he's supposed to be generic but practically every weapon is a projectile.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone want to play duos or squads? Discord from the OP seems pretty dead. I'm dangit ballby on epic games (and just Sean in Discord).

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Fayk posted:

Bluehole better start to play nice with Epic. Or Epic may not let them use any of their updates to the engine.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Is there any way to have different mouse sensitivity settings for scoped and unscoped views?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Minrad posted:

yup, full details

:words:

This is all pretty interesting, but will these changes be only for the battle royale mode? Either way I get worried that they're slipping into this cycle of patching one and not the other, or making sweeping changes to both modes to appease players of one of the two modes. I just would hate to see the main Fortnite game become a footnote of the more popular BR mode.

I'm genuinely curious to see out of everybody playing Fortnite at any given time how many are playing Fortnite and how many are playing BR. At a certain point I feel like higher ups have to look at these numbers and go "Well why are we still even developing for A when everybody's playing B?"

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
[quote="“explosivo”" post="“477076893”"]
This is all pretty interesting, but will these changes be only for the battle royale mode? Either way I get worried that they’re slipping into this cycle of patching one and not the other, or making sweeping changes to both modes to appease players of one of the two modes. I just would hate to see the main Fortnite game become a footnote of the more popular BR mode.

I’m genuinely curious to see out of everybody playing Fortnite at any given time how many are playing Fortnite and how many are playing BR. At a certain point I feel like higher ups have to look at these numbers and go “Well why are we still even developing for A when everybody’s playing B?”
[/quote]

A couple things:

1. It's common for patches in many games to be built for one mode and not the other.

In the context of Fortnite, the BR mode needs a couple of patches for various reasons. These patches either won't make sense to be applied to the PvE mode or aren't needed at all.

Gun balance changes in PvP might be needed when it wouldn't be in PvE.

2. Haven't the devs already publicly said they are working on changes in PvE mode? Didn't they just make a patch to PvE mode two days ago?

3. I can basically guarantee you there is a huge chasm in player count between both modes and will continue to be forever and ever. You can be an optimist and believe the extra money the free mode is/will generate will help the PvE mode or you can be a pessimist and think that the player count chasm will eventually lead to the PvE mode being gobbled up. I think it's the former and I don't play the PvE mode and don't have any desire to ever do so

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The pve mode has the update today and a halloween update coming so at minimum there's another month of new poo poo.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I'll be on tonight for some Fortnite BR on the discord server if anyone wants to squad or duo

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Agoat posted:

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS

Wow a post so wrong. Unless... source your quotes.

edit: Also re: pve vs pvp populations. I wouldn't worry about it, pvp is f2p for everyone whereas pve is buy-in, so of course pvp is going to have a MUCH larger playerbase. When PVE becomes f2p then we can actually do earnest comparisons. I'm sure the "higher-ups" are aware of this.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 5, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

explosivo posted:

This is all pretty interesting, but will these changes be only for the battle royale mode? Either way I get worried that they're slipping into this cycle of patching one and not the other, or making sweeping changes to both modes to appease players of one of the two modes. I just would hate to see the main Fortnite game become a footnote of the more popular BR mode.

I'm genuinely curious to see out of everybody playing Fortnite at any given time how many are playing Fortnite and how many are playing BR. At a certain point I feel like higher ups have to look at these numbers and go "Well why are we still even developing for A when everybody's playing B?"

The main Fortnite game had an update this morning:
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/ea-1-7-patch-notes

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Wooo, got my second solo :airquote:chicken dinner:airquote: ... wish i was as good in duos/squad :(

Edit: i found/killed for like 5 or 6 blue jellies that round ... rng gods smiled upon me

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope the guy that direct the PvE part of things move to the PvP part.

Theres this idea that people like from PvE farming and artificial scarcity, and has long this guy is around to make everything unfun, the pve side of things will be more a chore than anything else. Specially events, where this dude run will creating pockets of bullshit concentrated.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Tei posted:

I hope the guy that direct the PvE part of things move to the PvP part.

Theres this idea that people like from PvE farming and artificial scarcity, and has long this guy is around to make everything unfun, the pve side of things will be more a chore than anything else. Specially events, where this dude run will creating pockets of bullshit concentrated.

Pockets of bullshit concentrated sounds like the PVE's motto. I find it hilarious that they had to disable the PVE event today because it was wiping stormshield inventories, and in the hour or two that it was up people already noticed the really terrible design poo poo going on in it. For instance you have to have one star items to use for the first tier of content for some reason?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It doesn't really matter. I still murder everything with the 1* grey rifle you can't recycle even leaving it at level 1. Anyone that is a couple quest pages into Plankerton should be fine using it or whatever random stuff at least in the first two horde maps since they'll be at the stat cap for the map (which is 160 for the first map at least). Just pull out a ninja with dragon blade, or a soldier with grenades and commando or shockwave and you're basically good to go.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Yeah, I haven't played it yet (at work, plan to try it tonight) but I suspect while the design decisions are dubious at best, this specific thing (because how easy it is to have some low end item around) is an example of the community not picking its battles. So their complaints just become a wall of noise rather than any chance of calling out the worst practices or things that need improvement.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

explosivo posted:

The PvE mode, while good in concept, still suffers from being buried under a bunch of questionable grindy/gamble-y garbage. The amazing feedback surrounding BR (I hope) should prompt some scrutiny on whats not working in the game, and start some strategies to sort it out.

I want to like Fortnite, but it still has this korean-f2p-mmo shaped tumor hanging off it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Mister Fister posted:

Wooo, got my second solo :airquote:chicken dinner:airquote: ... wish i was as good in duos/squad :(

Edit: i found/killed for like 5 or 6 blue jellies that round ... rng gods smiled upon me

Holy poo poo, got another solo chicken dinner today. Found like 4 blue jellies... i think there may be a correlation here.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
When will people start saying 'Victory Royale' instead of chicken dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

When will people start saying 'Victory Royale' instead of chicken dinner?

it should be 'Royale With Cheese'

• Locked thread