Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have to wonder if some of those dies had very minor defects such as a void over a key line/transistor/whatever in one of the lesser used instruction extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Bits and chips.it reported that 80% of Ryzen dies have 8 functional cores and that was back in June.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If "12nm" is very much a revision of the 14nm process for GloFo then I can't wait to see how Ryzen 2's product stack will end up looking in terms of activated features vs. price.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Kind of indicates that yields are so good that AMD is willing to cut good silicon to improve the volume of their biggest sellers (1600 and 1600X), and that they'd make more money that way as well.
they didn't bother to even softlock them :holy:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
My 1600X only has the advertised 6 cores I'm gonna start a class action lawsuit :kingsley:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wirth1000 posted:

My 1600X only has the advertised 6 cores I'm gonna start a class action lawsuit :kingsley:

:same:

This is unfair, amds lost a customer

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Why is the 1600x selling for the same or sometimes even less than the 1600?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope this Coffee Lake stuff starts a fire under AMDs rear end and gets it to pull Zen 2 ahead.

eames
May 9, 2009

some models like the 1800X seem pretty niche now that the 8700K has way higher singlethread and equal multithread performance. The only USP is ECC RAM but people building a workstation will probably get 1900X.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Not That Into You posted:

Why is the 1600x selling for the same or sometimes even less than the 1600?

Because the 1600 comes with a pretty solid default cooling the solution and the 1600x does not. Also, when over clocked they both likely hit nearly the same OC'ed performance. So either you're fine with the stock performance of the 1600 and don't want to buy an additional cooler to go with it (saving the cooler cost and difference in MSRP), or you know what you're doing and are going to OC in which case the 1600x is an extra ~$30 or 40 msrp that needs an additional $20 to 30 for a cooler all of which leads to an over-supply/minimal demand for the 1600x. TBF the only X chip maybe worth the money, imo, is the 1500x which comes with the same cooler as the 1600 and not the smaller cooler used with the 1400 and R3 parts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like 8700K undercuts on price ($40 CAD cheaper with it at launch pricing), and is only 13% slower on perfectly parallel cinebench while 21% faster on single-threaded. Apparently someone has a 5.2GHz OC on a delidded 8700K, which should be another 20% (minus what Ryzen can get from OC, but that’s not much by my understanding). Maybe that was an early lottery win, I guess.

Even if that’s a wash, is the Ryzen honeymoon over? Maybe in mid-spectrum with the 1600X they’re still solid? It’s a much stronger performance from Intel than I expected, tbh.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/257006-intels-core-i7-8700k-reviewed-six-core-chip-punches-far-weight-class

E: actually, looks like the 8700K OC situation might be overstated above.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 5, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Until 2018, at least.

Ryzen has been front and center since.... March now? *counts on fingers* Seven months of being king poo poo before Chipzilla could muster a proper response, and even then Coffee Lake is still kind of a mess with regards to chipsets and features.

Optimistically (AHAHAHAHAH) Chipzilla sits on top for about as long until Zen+ launches about seven or eight months from now. (It'll be more like ten or eleven. )

(No, I still have zero faith in AMD's ability to ship poo poo on time.)

(Parenthetical abuse, yay!)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
AMD needs volume volume volume to get market share so them aggressively binning is no surprise to get the cheaper stuff out there

They really need that loving Raven ridge though to get the real volume

And they need a modular Navi core too to erase the stink of Vega

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ryzen is currently available in volume, coffee lake seems to be a paper launch http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/intel/ If this situation changes yeah I think Coffee Lake has value for the high end skus. There is certainly going to be problems though because of them not naming it LGA1151v2

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD will undoubtedly respond with pricecuts, which they are in a good position for considering that the Samsung 14LPP process is absurdly mature and yields are apparently very good. Probably the biggest cuts are coming for the Ryzen 5's, cause that i5-8400 at $189 puts up some really impressive numbers and is in stock.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Don't forget the motherboard to pair with the 8400, which will be an issue until non-z boards start shipping. In a couple weeks this will totally be a problem for the R5 models.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ryzen is currently available in volume, coffee lake seems to be a paper launch http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/intel/ If this situation changes yeah I think Coffee Lake has value for the high end skus. There is certainly going to be problems though because of them not naming it LGA1151v2

Selling out on launch day means it's a paper launch? :raise:

Paper launches are more about ongoing stock issues than anything. These days it's almost a given that nobody has enough stock in stores to fulfill the entire demand on day 1.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
How successful Ryzen continues to be will come down to the R5 1600 vs the i7 8400 and the i3 8350k vs the 1400. If the 1600 can stay on par with the 8400 before OC'ing than the 1600 is an easy choice in that price segment. 'Here our 6 core 12 thread cpu that comes with a nice cooler costs as much as this 6 core 6 thread part (no idea on the cooler). Also you can OC our cpu for even more performance at no extra cost!'. Same goes for the 1400....4 core 8 thread with oc'ing vs 4 core non-hyper threaded. poo poo staring at the pricing sheet the 1600 is only $10 more than the top i3 part. Like why even bother? It's no doubt that Intel will rule the roost at the top, but in the mid tiers if the R5s remain ultra competitive on both performance and pricing I would be surprised if they didn't keep selling like hot cakes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Paper launches are more about ongoing stock issues than anything. These days it's almost a given that nobody has enough stock in stores to fulfill the entire demand on day 1.

We can watch mindfactory's sales for actual numbers, looking paper to me though.

eames
May 9, 2009

I really think that making all 1600X past a certain week unlockable 8 core models would be a viable strategy until the die-shrink. :getin:
They seem to have the yields for it and the market for the 1800/1800X was wiped out over night.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are $119 Z370 motherboards in stock on Newegg, so pretty comparable to a midrange AM4 board in price. I guess we will see how long AMD waits, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody get a R5 until those cuts come.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rex rabidorum vires posted:

How successful Ryzen continues to be will come down to the R5 1600 vs the i7 8400 and the i3 8350k vs the 1400. If the 1600 can stay on par with the 8400 before OC'ing than the 1600 is an easy choice in that price segment. 'Here our 6 core 12 thread cpu that comes with a nice cooler costs as much as this 6 core 6 thread part (no idea on the cooler). Also you can OC our cpu for even more performance at no extra cost!'. Same goes for the 1400....4 core 8 thread with oc'ing vs 4 core non-hyper threaded. poo poo staring at the pricing sheet the 1600 is only $10 more than the top i3 part. Like why even bother? It's no doubt that Intel will rule the roost at the top, but in the mid tiers if the R5s remain ultra competitive on both performance and pricing I would be surprised if they didn't keep selling like hot cakes.

The 8400 pretty much beats the 1600/1600X (especially if you tweak the turbo settings to allow all-core boost) and the OC headroom on first-gen Ryzen parts is pretty laughable.

eames
May 9, 2009

Computerbase has good price/performance graphs for their testsuites, click a CPU to adjust the line. The 1600(X) really don't fare well compared to the i5-8400.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-8400-8350k-8100-test/8/

e:fb

eames fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 8400 pretty much beats the 1600/1600X (especially if you tweak the turbo settings to allow all-core boost) and the OC headroom on first-gen Ryzen parts is pretty laughable.

While not spectacular getting another +600mhz across all cores on the 1600 (to 3.8 with voltage and some head room to spare) isn't so bad (lol at anyone that bought the X). 7% difference at 1080p and then gently caress all for 1440 and 4k (for gaming at least). I like how they allow for tweaking of the 8400 but no OC'ing of anything else. Seems a bit odd. Didn't appear to make that big of a difference. I will say the productivity stuff is very interesting. :shrug: Single core is still king for the most part I guess.

Cygni posted:

There are $119 Z370 motherboards in stock on Newegg, so pretty comparable to a midrange AM4 board in price. I guess we will see how long AMD waits, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody get a R5 until those cuts come.

A basic B350 costs ~$70 to 85, a nice B350 runs ~$100 to 110, and then x370s start at $125. The R5s have already seen one price cut and how much further AMD would want to go, who knows. With all of this said though the mid-range appears to have some incredibly compelling chips available now and that's likely good for everyone.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD needs volume volume volume to get market share so them aggressively binning is no surprise to get the cheaper stuff out there

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-6x-3-20GHz-So-AM4-BOX_1159710.html

This thing is selling on average about 100 per day (the "über 11.240 verkauft" thing, means over 11240 sold, it's been going up by 100 on most weekdays lately), and this is just one of the popular online shops in germany. I mean, it isn't even amazon

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
So far I'm kinda sad for AMD.

Their only use in my life personally would be if their a6 processor dropping Q1 '18 is worth the money, then I can just buy an AM4 board for my server and call it since it'll be decent power and integrated GPU for wattage. Also a really nice upgrade from an athlon 64 x2 6000+.

For upper tier processors, I think coffee lake will pretty much end it due to better software support, or at the very least more stable, and even if you don't think coffee lake killed ryzen this time, there are early rumors of ice lake that seem devastating.

Only bonus I can see with AMD is they'll keep AM4 out longer, but that's also like saying the latest processors on AM3+ were really popular.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ezekial posted:

For upper tier processors, I think coffee lake will pretty much end it due to better software support, or at the very least more stable, and even if you don't think coffee lake killed ryzen this time, there are early rumors of ice lake that seem devastating.

Yeah if the claims of 8C Ice Lake clocking to 5 GHz are correct then AMD better have something serious up their sleeves with Ryzen2.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm more interested in their mobile stuff at this point. I'd love a laptop with with some GPU power without having to go for a dGPU. It'd be perfect for light gaming on the couch.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I don't know why people are dooming and glooming when we know nothing about Pinnacle or Zen 2. Like lmao

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah if the claims of 8C Ice Lake clocking to 5 GHz are correct then AMD better have something serious up their sleeves with Ryzen2.

Pretty sure that's going to be 8C Coffee Lake next summer

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

eames posted:

some models like the 1800X seem pretty niche now that the 8700K has way higher singlethread and equal multithread performance. The only USP is ECC RAM but people building a workstation will probably get 1900X.

Main thing left is PCIe lanes

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Eh, I'm still fully satisfied with my 1600. Stock it runs cool, it's fast enough for all my gaming including VR stuff with my Rift. I also paid ~$140 for it after coupon and Ebay rewards. I could probably turn the cooler over on Ebay for another $15-$20 also if I cared to.

I do have a feeling that AMD will cut prices further, and also that the 1600 and 1600x are such big sellers that AMD will continue to give no fucks about packaging 8c processors into those boxes and selling them. From that perspective I'm kinda sad I didn't win the literal silicon lottery, but I'm fine with 6c/12t for now.

I do like that AMD got this reaction out of Intel, and that for all its speed the best Intel can manage is just a Kaby Lake with more cores glued on. The 8700k runs hot as hell and sucks down tons of power. Like close to Threadripper power usage, while having only a fraction of the cores. It is an insanely fast chip, but I've never been the type to buy the best chip anyway so it's all just fluff to me.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

They just need to find a bit more IPC and clock clock clock the hell out of that uarch. As great as 8C Ryzen is at 4.0 Ghz, I'm not entirely convinced its as future proof as that same chip @ 4.5 Ghz (which nobody outside of LN2 folks have done) so that's the one I'm waiting on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The 99th percentile performance if Intel vs AMD is pretty disgusting. Selling people on Ryzen as a videogame CPU is hard, and marketing CPUs to "content creators" (ugh) is still a new concept, but looks like that's what AMD needs to do given how the videogame performance looks.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

The 99th percentile performance if Intel vs AMD is pretty disgusting. Selling people on Ryzen as a videogame CPU is hard, and marketing CPUs to "content creators" (ugh) is still a new concept, but looks like that's what AMD needs to do given how the videogame performance looks.

Do they list the specs for the amd systems ib that list? Theres a noticeable difference in 99th frame timings on ryzren when you go over 3200mhz

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bobfather posted:

. The 8700k runs hot as hell and sucks down tons of power. Like close to Threadripper power usage, while having only a fraction of the cores.

Assuming you don't have a huge overclock, both of the consumer platforms are basically the same for power draw. At idle/low use, system power ranges from 40-50 watts pretty much across the board, and when gaming:

The synthetic stuff that kicks all the AVX units on (aka Prime) and stuff isn't really representative of daily reality.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 5, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Honestly Coffeelake seems to push Skylake-X out of the way except in unusual circumstances, as Threadripper seems to hit a really nice sweet spot of price/perf. Yes, the 7960X and 7980XE exist but drat that loving price tag.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CFL's gonna be my Christmas present to myself. No two ways about it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Cygni posted:

Assuming you don't have a huge overclock, both of the consumer platforms are basically the same for power draw. At idle/low use, system power ranges from 40-50 watts pretty much across the board, and when gaming:

The synthetic stuff that kicks all the AVX units on (aka Prime) and stuff isn't really representative of daily reality.

"Assuming you don’t have a huge overclock" when every review site out there is squarely focused on the 8700k at > 4.8ghz.

At > 4.8ghz it pulls almost as much juice as the 1920x. You know, the processor with 12c/24t?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh comeon Paul, if this was AMD and they'd shipped only a few thousand units or such, you'd call it a paper launch. (Actually didn't you berate AMD about Vega's limited release quantities?)

And plenty of releases see same-day demand met, including Intel's previous launches as well as Ryzen's, etc. Don't scapegoat for Intel.