Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Gerblyn posted:

FWIW Skyborn is one of the only RPG Maker games I ever played that I actually finished. It's definitely a step up in quality from most of the stuff I found on Steam.

Is there no combat in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Turd Herder posted:

Is there no combat in it?

There's combat.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Thuryl posted:

There's combat.

Must have missed it in the trailer. I'll look again.

Not a bad looking game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wish I would have known that Neon Chrome was a good game before I passed on the Very Positive Humble Bundle! I usually skip games described as "twin stick shooters" but that looks pretty good.

Also it turns out the name "JYDGE" is literally ungoogle-able. It keeps thinking you're trying to say judge.

Use double quotes around a search term to tell google that you meant exactly what you typed

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board

5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition

Horror games usually stick to a few basic genres. First-person, adventure, and puzzle are all well-worn trails for spooky titles to travel down, but management is definitely an outlier. That’s right where you’ll find Daily Chthonicle though, a management game about sending reporters to dredge up and vanquish the dark forces afoot in your city. And it works, less as a horror game and more as a management title, by giving you a team to work with and mounting challenges to pit them against until either they or the horrors break. Just bear in mind that while you’re learning the ropes, it’ll probably be your team that falls first.

You’re the editor-in-chief of the titular Daily Chthonicle, hometown chronicle of the strange and spooky. Cultists, ghosts, and infernal machines are making life hell in your city, and the only way to stop them is with the mighty pen. Researching stories and publishing the truth is the goal, with every story you run earning you new funds and putting a dent in the eldritch forces that hold your fate in their ashen hands. You’ll need the right tools to defeat monsters and pass mundane and mystical barriers in search of the scoops, and if you don’t look out for your reporters well enough then madness and death can end your print run.

The interface for Daily Chthonicle boils all this down to the bare essentials. You have six reporters, and a city map of up to nine locations. Assigning a reporter to a location has them turn up new clues, contacts, investigations, and obstacles so long as they remain there. Everything you find gets published periodically and earns you money based on how much you uncovered, and once you turn up the entire story you can close the case in your files. Closing every open case wins you the game, and the only way to lose is to get all six of your reporters incapacitated at once.

Most of the gameplay here is in deciding what to do with what your reporters turn up. Clues and leads really don’t require any input from you, they’re just part of the stories and are assembled automatically in their cases. Sometimes you’ll come across a new lead and have the option to follow it, or continue in the track you’re on. The significance of this choice isn’t entirely clear to me but it seems like following can trigger more dramatic results, or nothing at all. Investigations and obstacles are the two big ones, both offering different tactical choices like equipping special items or taking risks like snapping pictures. The results of investigations hinge on how well your reporter is equipped, while obstacles can leave your people injured, insane, or incapacitated if they cannot overcome the challenge.

The money you make from running stories mostly goes into stocking up on weapons, forensic tools, bibles, whisky, and dogs to help get past obstacles. You can also mix and use potions from the lab at your office, providing potent bonuses at the cost of keeping a reporter off the streets to do the mixing. In the mid and late game you also get side funds to purchase upgrades and discounted equipment based on how much good your investigations have done the different parts of the city. On top of all this are your contacts and allies who can provide backup, special services, and perhaps other things I haven’t fully worked out yet.

There’s a great deal of strategy at play here, and on the lower difficulties you won’t need to worry about most of it. Keeping your reporters busy, saving up funds to splurge on equipment, and rotating people out when they get hurt or crazed is enough to close out all your cases. On Normal and above, however, the evil has ways of fighting back. Leaving certain threats unanswered for too long or failing key challenges can cause new ones to arise, potentially spiraling the situation out of control. You’ll have less margin for error and need to use all your resources intelligently to keep ahead of your eldrich antagonists, and the strategy is plenty fun to work out as you learn which descriptors call for which pieces of equipment.

What complaints I can level against Daily Chthonicle are mostly in the realm of polish. You can probably tell from the screenshots but it’s not a terribly attractive game, stuck with simple, overly-chunky graphics throughout. I don’t know if it’s an aesthetic choice or artistic limitations but it just doesn’t look good, and there’s very little sound design at all to even critique. The game feels very bare-bones because of this, sealing away the action of vanquishing undead mastodons behind static, blown-up scans of old pictures and poorly-formatted text. And speaking of mastodons, the randomized stories can have their moments but are mostly unimportant and unintelligible since the articles assemble themselves from the disparate pieces you find.

The core of Daily Chthonicle is extremely solid, building a compelling management sim that pits you against fantastic evils with only journalism (and a little magic) on your side. Were it more attractive or polished it would be an instant classic, but as it stands the aesthetic brands it with a pretty strong caveat. Assuming you aren’t put off by the poor graphics there’s plenty of random adventures and bizarre encounters to work through, with a decent learning curve that carries an equally decent sense of accomplishment. If you’re looking for a new take on old themes, Daily Chthonicle puts a load of strategy into eldrich horror and spices it up with creative flair.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Doubleposting but I don't care

Payday 2 gets goofy masks like always but apparently in Gungeon you can get little heisters to follow you around and drills to open chests.

And since it reminded me, Battletoads are going to be in Shovel Knight later today.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/915659760514473985

It's a silly sort of day, I guess!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

Fran Bow is the daily for less than a fiver and is super good on both the point-and-click and horror fronts. It goes to some real weird places in the story but the art and writing are more than up to the task. I reviewed it last year if you need more convincing.

You sold me a copy of this last night, and I'm checking in to say I really like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turd Herder posted:

Must have missed it in the trailer. I'll look again.

Not a bad looking game.
Yeah, Skyborn is decent. All their games are relatively decent and have extra effort put into their battle art/systems (even their first game has Phantasy Star style from-the-back character art). Their most recent game Echoes of Aetheria puts it all together with nice art and a really good isometric Suikoden/Grandia hybrid combat system.

Pastry of the Year posted:

You sold me a copy of this last night, and I'm checking in to say I really like it.
Fran Bow is excellent.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'll just leave this here.
https://twitter.com/totinos/status/903405605548896256

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, the McElroys are going to be the richest dudes in Mordor then.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brand deals? In MY game industry?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Once in awhile I miss the days when I thought pizza rolls were food. They were simpler times.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow of War's gonna be the best worst game ever

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Videogames are art.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, everything I hear about Shadow of War makes me less interested in that game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

Once in awhile I miss the days when I thought pizza rolls were food. They were simpler times.

I too miss being 7 :sigh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dias posted:

Man, everything I hear about Shadow of War makes me less interested in that game.

also :same:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
IGN gave shadow of War a 9.0. I know most people in this thread hate any and all game reviews, but their scores generally seem to match up with mine, so I use them often.

They added this comment regarding microtransactions:
On that note, a quick word about the controversial microtransactions: you can and totally should ignore them completely. Buying loot boxes is just a way to get loot that isn’t killing uruks, which is the best thing about Shadow of War. It’s especially bizarre that these exist because so much of the allure of Shadow of War is that its enemies basically are loot boxes to begin with. So in buying them, you’d basically be paying to avoid scratching off the metaphorical lottery ticket that is an uruk’s head to reveal the loot you’re about to acquire. On top of that, I’ve had more than enough of the in-game silver currency to buy whatever I’ve needed in terms of upgrades (it’s used to enhance gear or unlock slots captain slots for sieges and defenses), so there’s been no need or even desire to spend a dime.

I'm looking forward to the game. I fully expect 85% of this thread to poo poo on the game without even playing it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Email me at this tower if you want a pizza roll

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the orks are gonna slip brand endorsements into their pre battle speeches.

Gorp the Crusher: "After I gut ya, I'm gonna relax and enjoy a plate full of delicious Totino's® Pizza Rolls!"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

IGN gave shadow of War a 9.0. I know most people in this thread hate any and all game reviews, but their scores generally seem to match up with mine, so I use them often.

On that note, a quick word about the controversial microtransactions: you can and totally should ignore them completely. Buying loot boxes is just a way to get loot that isn’t killing uruks, which is the best thing about Shadow of War. It’s especially bizarre that these exist because so much of the allure of Shadow of War is that its enemies basically are loot boxes to begin with. So in buying them, you’d basically be paying to avoid scratching off the metaphorical lottery ticket that is an uruk’s head to reveal the loot you’re about to acquire. On top of that, I’ve had more than enough of the in-game silver currency to buy whatever I’ve needed in terms of upgrades (it’s used to enhance gear or unlock slots captain slots for sieges and defenses), so there’s been no need or even desire to spend a dime.

I'm looking forward to the game. I fully expect 85% of this thread to poo poo on the game without even playing it.

I am really looking forward to it too. The first was optimized super well, so I hope to see that optimization again in Shadow of War so my paltry GTX 660 can handle it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Aside from Polygon being Polygon and TotalBiscuit misinterpreting a Gamespot review and starting a riot over it, every other review says "Yeah the microtransactions exist, they're pointless and add nothing and aren't necessary" or don't mention them at all.

Every review, even the comparatively low 7s, love the important part, the Nemesis system and say that the story is better but still not great this time around. Take from that what you will.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah the story's ridiculous.

Oh no saurons back what should we do?

Uuuuh forge more rings?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fool me twenty times, shame on you...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
What are the odds that the in-game silver gain rate and upgrade prices will be rebalanced upon release to be harder without microtransactions now that there are reviews saying that they're harmless?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I will poo poo on Warner Brothers for trying to monetize someone who died of cancer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Olive! posted:

I will poo poo on Warner Brothers for trying to monetize someone who died of cancer.

The money went to his family.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Olive! posted:

Man that poo poo was confusing. I can't tell if it's a touching tribute or a sick joke

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

poptart_fairy posted:

The money went to his family.

*some of the money

**actually they went back on the whole thing only after severe blowback, making it free and now none of the money goes to his family

Orv
May 4, 2011

A good poster posted:

What are the odds that the in-game silver gain rate and upgrade prices will be rebalanced upon release to be harder without microtransactions now that there are reviews saying that they're harmless?

Unlikely, but I've seen the pre-day 1 patch values for stuff on a leaked stream and if they change in the final release I'll mention it in here.

Olive! posted:

So hey, let's talk about that for a second.

Monolith made an orc in Shadow of War who functions like the Mysterious Stranger perk in Fallout. He shows up every once and a while and saves you from death. This orc is based off Michael Forgey, a Monolith guy who died during the production of the game. They intended to release this as paid DLC, for $5. In most states but not all, and not outside the US because of charity laws, the purchase price (less Steam share) would go to the family. Cue internet freak out.

Now, what WB Games says, is that their intent was to give all profits from the sales to the family, regardless, and their communication on the matter was flawed. They've since made the DLC free to everyone forever, and have made a direct donation to the family instead. Obviously they could be lying about their intent to mollify things, but that's a bit cynical even for me.

E: They also refunded all purchases of the DLC.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 5, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It looks like the biggest complaint about Shadow of War is sort of the same as my biggest complaint about Rise of the Tomb Raider: What is there is great, but there is so much of it that it dilutes itself. Its engrossing when you play it, but when you step back, you notice that it is kinda bloated. The other big complaint was the story, but that wasn't very good to begin with.

Anyway, I haven't played Shadow of Mordor lately so, like with RotTR at the very least it ought to be fun for a good couple dozen hours which I would be perfectly satisfied with.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Fran Bow is excellent.

I just hit Chapter 3. This game is upsetting and weird and beautiful and I have no idea why it's not a sensation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

uber_stoat posted:

the orks are gonna slip brand endorsements into their pre battle speeches.

Gorp the Crusher: "After I gut ya, I'm gonna relax and enjoy a plate full of delicious Totino's® Pizza Rolls!"

I can't think of this as anything but a feature. drat pizza roll likers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

vorebane posted:

I can't think of this as anything but a feature. drat pizza roll likers.
Now I'm imagining the chorus that announced the orc bosses in the first game chanting TOTINO'S.

Also "Sauron eats at Totino's!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One Roll to Rule Them All

Now somebody make a photoshop of that iconic scene from the first Lord of the Rings movie where the ring is falling onto Frodo's hand and replace the ring with a pizza roll

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man loving Totino's. First Sonic now this?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Would you rather Rockstar and Poptarts?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Orv posted:

Unlikely, but I've seen the pre-day 1 patch values for stuff on a leaked stream and if they change in the final release I'll mention it in here.

So hey, let's talk about that for a second.

Monolith made an orc in Shadow of War who functions like the Mysterious Stranger perk in Fallout. He shows up every once and a while and saves you from death. This orc is based off Michael Forgey, a Monolith guy who died during the production of the game. They intended to release this as paid DLC, for $5. In most states but not all, and not outside the US because of charity laws, the purchase price (less Steam share) would go to the family. Cue internet freak out.

Now, what WB Games says, is that their intent was to give all profits from the sales to the family, regardless, and their communication on the matter was flawed. They've since made the DLC free to everyone forever, and have made a direct donation to the family instead. Obviously they could be lying about their intent to mollify things, but that's a bit cynical even for me.

E: They also refunded all purchases of the DLC.

get out of here with your calm explanations and lack of hyperbole, it aint wanted here ya nerd.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

Would you rather Rockstar and Poptarts?

I'd rather Rockstar at least go with Budweiser or something a little more on the age bracket they supposedly market to, but we all know its gonna go with mountain dew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I'd rather Rockstar at least go with Budweiser or something a little more on the age bracket they supposedly market to, but we all know its gonna go with mountain dew.

No no, Rockstar the energy drink.