Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also you know if someone says "I think there's an 80% chance this crashes this year" and it doesn't, that doesn't prove them wrong, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, people are free to speculate with their money how they wish. You were sitting there doomsaying it months ago when it was $2500. On what basis did you warn people off this thing that has gotten more liquidity, more trading, more funds, more nation state support, and more valuation the whole time? Because it keeps being proven wrong.

I wasn't 'doomsaying.' My position is and always has been this is a speculative commodity that someone will be left holding the bag on when the music stops.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like the fact that you are wrong and unable to qualify risk properly - which is 100% empirically true, shouldn't affect other people negatively. Why keep giving out garbage advice that keeps turning out wrong? When do you intend to stop giving out advice that turns out untrue every single time?

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious douchebag... my risk analysis is not wrong and I made a poo poo ton of money this last year without risking the entirety of my principal thanks.

Also

quote:

more nation state support,

lol bullshit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also you know if someone says "I think there's an 80% chance this crashes this year" and it doesn't, that doesn't prove them wrong, right?

But it is evidence that they're wrong, and when it happens every year for a decade, wrongness seems to be the most likely outcome.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

But it is evidence that they're wrong, and when it happens every year for a decade, wrongness seems to be the most likely outcome.

Yes that's definitely true, I'm just saying a lot of people have the fallacy of taking it as proof (see how people acted about polls after the election)

I mean I think my position is pretty soft and hard to prove wrong since I'm just saying "I think there is a much higher chance of a massive crash with this than other things so be careful how much you put in it" so for me to be wrong it would have to go decades without having any sort of crash which maybe it will do!!! But I think other investments are probably better

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

If Bitcoin never has a crash in the next 50 years then I'll say I was wrong.

That seems like very realistic success criteria... for someone trying at all costs to avoid admitting they were wrong

quote:

Also I never said they were a scam, that's your words. I'm just saying I think they are a bubble and it's impossible to tell where on the graph of a bubble you are. It could go up 1000% more or it could crash next week.

"Lol I just implied they were a scam, never said it, so I can't be called wrong when it turns out they are not"
-SA attorney ESQ

quote:

Mine em if you want, I don't give a poo poo, i just think there are a lot better investments you can make where more variables are known. I don't even have a problem with someone buying a small amount as a lottery ticket but I also don't have a problem with people gambling in any other way either as long as they recognize it for what it is.

Lmao imagine if someone had the balls to say this a year ago the YOSPOS crew (WRITING A BOOK) would have torn them apart but now people have walked the claims THIS FAR BACK it's loving amazing :hellyeah:

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Bitcoiner attributing things I've never said to me? Well, I never!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That seems like very realistic success criteria... for someone trying at all costs to avoid admitting they were wrong

"Lol I just implied they were a scam, never said it, so I can't be called wrong when it turns out they are not"
-SA attorney ESQ

Lmao imagine if someone had the balls to say this a year ago the YOSPOS crew (WRITING A BOOK) would have torn them apart but now people have walked the claims THIS FAR BACK it's loving amazing :hellyeah:

I have no idea who you're talking about, please only actually talk about things I've said. I'm not some conglomeration of every poster in this thread or any other bitcoin thread.

I made very mild criticisms about bitcoin and people going nuts about it and you turned it into YOU SAID IT WAS TERRIBLE AND A SCAM and I have never said anything like that, if you can find anything like that that I've ever posted I'll buy you a forums upgrade.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No, people are just misinterpreting and going with huge numbers to make a rhetorical point. Even a 1-5% risk of total loss is too much risk for most people's portfolios. What's more, this kind of "but it isn't risky at all!' rhetoric encourages people to put more than they can afford to lose into this which is a huge mistake even with regular investments.

And again we're just looking at the strict dollar value of the BTC. Well, I had 10 BTC years ago. They were cheap so why not gently caress it right? I don't have them anymore, because the exchange got 'hacked.' So I'm not really sitting pretty am I?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I wasn't 'doomsaying.' My position is and always has been this is a speculative commodity that someone will be left holding the bag on when the music stops.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious douchebag... my risk analysis is not wrong and I made a poo poo ton of money this last year without risking the entirety of my principal thanks.

Your risk analysis is stupid poo poo that was claiming you knew it was a scam, you weren't even willing to call it a commodity (BECAUSE NO INHERENT VALUE) last time, but here it is lmao this suddenly woke nuanced opinion that wasn't there a few months ago at all?? how did it appear?? a bitcoin mystery

Just amazing imagine doing a risk analysis, calling bullshit, being wrong, and declaring yourself good at risk analysis. Well folks wrap it up. With that standard this guy will never be bad at analyzing risk, like when he warns people off an asset that appreciates 50%+ in a few months.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have no idea who you're talking about, please only actually talk about things I've said. I'm not some conglomeration of every poster in this thread or any other bitcoin thread.

There won't be a single person that will admit to being against Bitcoins despite years of posts to the contrary it's amazing, they vanish like a mirage the more the price goes up

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

So then why didn't you buy some and make sick profits if you believed all goons were wrong just to really stick it to us?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Your risk analysis is stupid poo poo that was claiming you knew it was a scam, you weren't even willing to call it a commodity (BECAUSE NO INHERENT VALUE) last time, but here it is lmao this suddenly woke nuanced opinion that wasn't there a few months ago at all?? how did it appear?? a bitcoin mystery

I mean do you want me to dig up Moridin posts from years ago calling it exactly a commodity? Inherent value has nothing to do with it.

I specifically remember arguing with people about it not being a viable currency because no one will (then or ever imo) let you pay taxes with it thus it will always be an exchange commodity.

quote:

Just amazing imagine doing a risk analysis, calling bullshit, being wrong, and declaring yourself good at risk analysis. Well folks wrap it up. With that standard this guy will never be bad at analyzing risk, like when he warns people off an asset that appreciates 50%+ in a few months.

Putting your money on red results in an almost 2x gain but that doesn't mean it is chill and good to let it ride when you win or advise others to do the same.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Just amazing imagine doing a risk analysis, calling bullshit, being wrong, and declaring yourself good at risk analysis.

If I invested in every little thing for fear of missing out, I'd probably be pretty broke now. In hindsight, I wish I had "invested" in bitcoin when I first heard about it, but that doesn't mean its fundamentals are sound.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

EorayMel posted:

So then why didn't you buy some and make sick profits if you believed all goons were wrong just to really stick it to us?

Lmao imagine being this loving wrong, spending months going "HOW MANY DO YOU OWN" and now after being proven wrong retreating to "SO HOW MANY DID YOU BUY!!!"

Like I don't know, do you feel embarassed? Imagine the morons that claimed Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth. That's literally you dude. Doesn't that concern you?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There won't be a single person that will admit to being against Bitcoins despite years of posts to the contrary it's amazing, they vanish like a mirage the more the price goes up

I have always posted that I thought it was a risky thing to put a lot of money into and that I wouldn't invest a lot in it but gamble on it if you want, again, if you find me ever posting anything other than this I will give you a forums upgrade or :10bux:

By the way I will still maintain this position even if it goes to 20,000 in the next year because again I have said it might continue to go way up I have no idea, I just think it's a gamble. Sometimes gambles win!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
whoops double post

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And you're continually ignoring the fact that this investment carries the risk of total loss so not nearly every (or even the majority I suspect) of BTC holders that bought in years ago still have their BTC.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

My coworker's Android phone got hacked and they 2FA'd his wallet away from him, he says. I think he only lost like $~100 of mined coins. Is he pulling my leg and he maybe got ripped off somehow?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like everything you're saying could be said about any penny stock that actually went up a ton (I don't know enough about penny stocks to name one but I'm sure that at least one has taken off) and you could post HAHAH YOU GUYS WERE ALL WRONG I KNEW THIS WAS GONNA BE GOOD FROM THE BEGINNING but that doesn't make it a good investment just because it went up

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

CassandraZara posted:

If I invested in every little thing for fear of missing out, I'd probably be pretty broke now. In hindsight, I wish I had "invested" in bitcoin when I first heard about it, but that doesn't mean its fundamentals are sound.

It means that every single goon prediction about its demise, about how its fundamentals were unsound, the exchanges being rigged were wrong, misleading, and useless. And everyone that perpetrated them is clearly not qualified to advise others re: investments yet did so for years anyway, smugly laughing at how dumb anyone that disagreed with them was. That's pretty incredible stuff, imo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lmao imagine being this loving wrong, spending months going "HOW MANY DO YOU OWN" and now after being proven wrong retreating to "SO HOW MANY DID YOU BUY!!!"

Like I don't know, do you feel embarassed? Imagine the morons that claimed Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth. That's literally you dude. Doesn't that concern you?

I mean, why wouldn't you?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Waffle House posted:

My coworker's Android phone got hacked and they 2FA'd his wallet away from him. I think he only lost like $~100 of mined coins, but he has no recourse here yeah?

Yeah and what if like, he got mugged or lost his wallet containing $100, what happens then?

Clearly cash is loving unreliable get rid of it and don't let anyone use it with you / around you.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Every single person that said that bitcoins were a scam, had no inherent value, that they were going to collapse, that the exchanges were fake, that you'd lose money mining them, and that it's used for drug transactions / money laundering is as wrong as it is possible to be wrong while still alive

It's impressive that if you wanted to find the world's biggest idiots, empirically, you simply need go back over the past 5-6 years and find everyone that bravely warned people against Buttcoins while acting smug about how right they are. Some of them are still posting in this thread, which owns.

Great posting, captain hindsight.

Where was your post in the past talking about Chinese millionaires starting to use bitcoins? That's what you foresaw back then and that's why you are complaining, right?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waffle House posted:

My coworker's Android phone got hacked and they 2FA'd his wallet away from him. I think he only lost like $~100 of mined coins, but he has no recourse here yeah?

No. Another issue with this 'investment.'

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah and what if like, he got mugged or lost his wallet containing $100, what happens then?

Clearly cash is loving unreliable get rid of it and don't let anyone use it with you / around you.

Except we're not talking about cash you dick and your real investments are insured so in the event of a hack you're not going to lose your portfolio.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

EorayMel posted:

I mean, why wouldn't you?

Hmm, because my concern is the garbage advice people are giving and not on making a buck?? Which is what I've seen saying the ENTIRE TIME?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a very small amount of money in BTC, ETH and XRP. Hopefully it pays off but if it doesn't at the very least I'll be able to laugh at cryptocurrency experts that think the blockchain will save the world. Win win.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Nobody actually thought that. Everyone knew the earth was round and they had even calculated the size fairly accurately. Columbos insisted that the earth was much smaller than it actually is so a western route to China/India would be a lot quicker than everyone thought. He was wrong, and also there was a gigantic landmass in the way. :eng101:

but seriously how many bits did you buy

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

Great posting, captain hindsight.

Where was your post in the past talking about Chinese millionaires starting to use bitcoins? That's what you foresaw back then and that's why you are complaining, right?

I didn't make predictions that it would go up, I claimed that saying it was a scam that was guaranteed to fail was absolutely premature and that people had no way of knowing that.

I don't have to predict that it's going to go up or how much it will go up or what characteristics will cause it to go up.

My claim is that people saying it's a fraud or scam or unreliable are wrong and are giving garbage advice. I'm not making the claim, they are, and I am calling their claim false - and it is being proven false, empriically, over time.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It means that every single goon prediction about (...) how its fundamentals were unsound (...) were wrong, misleading, and useless.

Wrong.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And everyone that perpetrated them is clearly not qualified to advise others re: investments yet did so for years anyway, smugly laughing at how dumb anyone that disagreed with them was.

I don't know why you'd take investment advice from a goon but yeah, you're right. No goon is qualified to advise others, and if they are, they won't provide that information via a pseudononymous web forum.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stefan Prodan posted:

Like everything you're saying could be said about any penny stock that actually went up a ton (I don't know enough about penny stocks to name one but I'm sure that at least one has taken off) and you could post HAHAH YOU GUYS WERE ALL WRONG I KNEW THIS WAS GONNA BE GOOD FROM THE BEGINNING but that doesn't make it a good investment just because it went up

Yeah

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You know, I wasn't going to say anything because I don't like being a pretentious prick like this but you literally have no idea what you're talking about and are repeating nearly every dumbfuck fallacy people are warned off against when starting any kind of finance education. Past performance is 0 indicator of future performance and your entire argument here hinges on past performance.

You've provided no incentive or reason or anything for BTC to continue to increase in price except for "buy in because it'll keep going up!" Well poo poo that's a penny stock scam and when even your shoe shine boy tells you to buy in you probably shouldn't.

I know someone in real life who was suckered in by someone like you, leveraged themselves too much, and are now hosed because they lost all their BTC in a hack. Get bent and stop pretending like this is a sure thing because you can and will cause damage to people who believe you.

And you have the nerve to call our advice garbage.

e: In the interest of fairness I also know someone irl who made $20k on BTC. It's a crapshoot.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 5, 2017

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm, because my concern is the garbage advice people are giving and not on making a buck?? Which is what I've seen saying the ENTIRE TIME?

If you know that in bitcoin going up uP UP, why would you not take advantage of that fact and make money yourself?

COMRADES posted:

I know someone in real life who was suckered in by someone like you, leveraged themselves too much, and are now hosed because they lost all their BTC in a hack. Get bent and stop pretending like this is a sure thing because you can and will cause damage to people who believe you.

And you have the nerve to call our advice garbage.

I first heard about bitcoin via overhearing my mother's favorite radio show back just before Mt.Gox collapsed, and I had to argue with her for 20 minutes to not get involved. Just the concept alone sounded really loving suspicious and dirty.

One week later, she checked back in, it loving crashed, and never thought about touching bitcoins ever again. Otherwise she would've lost thousands of dollars.

Also the same guy called back in still trying to promote bitcoins after the crash, and the host laughed him off :newlol:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 5, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

CassandraZara posted:

Wrong.

I don't know why you'd take investment advice from a goon but yeah, you're right. No goon is qualified to advise others, and if they are, they won't provide that information via a pseudononymous web forum.

Cool, forums superstars making fun of bitcoins and buttcoins miners were dumber than the redditors they made fun of for years, and this guy admitted to it. Well done everyone.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's often compared to the Wild West, like the wild west of currency or some poo poo like that. And it's true. Some people got rich on gold mines or a saloon or whatever. And a lot of people ended up robbed, or dead, or forced into basically indentured servitude. It's not an unfair comparison.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So post your fat gains then or are you just angry because you would have bought but didn't on SA's advice?

CassandraZara posted:

It's often compared to the Wild West, like the wild west of currency or some poo poo like that. And it's true. Some people got rich on gold mines or a saloon or whatever. And a lot of people ended up robbed, or dead, or forced into basically indentured servitude. It's not an unfair comparison.

Sure or you could call this typical penny stock behavior because that's exactly what it is. There is no underlying value and it is totally ballooned up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

EorayMel posted:

If you know that in bitcoin going up uP UP, why would you not take advantage of that fact and make money yourself?

I don't know that it's going up, and I'm telling you that the people that know it's going down down are wrong, because none of us can see the future but they are sure that they can.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

COMRADES posted:

You've provided no incentive or reason or anything for BTC to continue to increase in price except for "buy in because it'll keep going up!" Well poo poo that's a penny stock scam and when even your shoe shine boy tells you to buy in you probably shouldn't.

not only that, he bought in and is now posting with the incentive to increase the price

Ham Sandwiches is not to be trusted.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't know that it's going up, and I'm telling you that the people that know it's going down down are wrong, because none of us can see the future but they are sure that they can.

So you're saying it's an unpredictable investment that could go up or down and you can't make a strong case for whether it will go either way?

Like...the same thing that I'm saying?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

So post your fat gains then or are you just angry because you would have bought but didn't on SA's advice?

It's interesting to watch people retreat to this.

My gains are disagreeing with everyone that said it was a scam or risky, like yourself, last time around we had this discussion. You are emprically wrong about the world, unable to make useful predictions, and anyone that listens to your advice will be diminished financially.

I think that's hilarious and plan to keep revisiting this over time, because I find it very funny the claims that were thrown around and luckily we have this thread and last thread around to refer back to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well if that's what you got out of "this isn't good as far as risk analysis is concerned" then you really are just mad about nothing.

• Locked thread