Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

And what happens the next time China does something?

I don't know, I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you. Invest if you want, don't if you don't. Don't act like you know it's a scam and don't tell people they'll lose if they invest. That's the loving point.

quote:

How? That's still true.

It's clearly not true because hedge funds are mining coins now and they weren't previously. And more and more countries and retailers are accepting them as payment. This is just as fake as the claims that the exchanges are inherently a scam and yet you keep repeating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
How many bitcoins can I buy with a dollar?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fantastic Flyer posted:

How many bitcoins can I buy with a dollar?

Search Results
1 US Dollar equals
0.00023 Bitcoin

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't know, I don't have a crystall ball and neither do you.

YEAH

That's my point!!! So why the gently caress would I buy BTC right now which may or may not crater at any moment instead of XAR which has returned 42% in the last year to date with no risk at all of the government deciding one day to outlaw the military industry?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This is 10000% incompatible with your past advice warning people to stay the gently caress away at all costs because it's a scam with no inherent value only used for money laundering!!!!!

Has your position been refined or was it that perhaps somehow people were missing this nuance previously?
10000%!!!!!

scam... check. pyramid scheme
no inherent value... big old check there
only used for money laundering... basically yep

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And more and more countries ... are accepting them as payment.

Citation needed.

Nowhere in the world can you pay your taxes with BTC. In fact your BTC plays result in a USD tax obligation (assuming you are in the USA).

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

YEAH

That's my point!!! So why the gently caress would I buy BTC right now instead of XAR which has returned 42% in the last year to date with no risk at all of the government deciding one day to outlaw the military industry?

Do whatever you want, don't tell other people that BTC is a scam as if you have some way of loving knowing that.

Like, go ahead and bet on XAR.

Don't go and talk about how much better it is than BTC as if you have some crystal ball because you don't know, you're just guessing and making your bet like anyone else.

And maybe don't go on the internet and be like "AND IF YOU INVEST IN BTC YOU ARE loving DUMB" because it's just other people looking at it differently than you

HTH

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Nice chart, that ends in May and now it's October.

What do you think happened since then??? Hmm?? Can you update the pic??

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

10000%!!!!!

scam... check. pyramid scheme
no inherent value... big old check there
only used for money laundering... basically yep

This guy being wrong and being unable to make useful predictions

can't qualify risk or figure out which factors are casual and which are irrelevant

empirically yep

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Excellent and now with a bunch of history it becomes clear:

Ah so perhaps there was a period of anomalous trading???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And then something happened that changed the trading activity????????????????????????????????????

And it settled into a new pattern???????????????????????????????????????????

What do you think?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Do whatever you want, don't tell other people that BTC is a scam as if you have some way of loving knowing that.

Some loving way of knowing that........ like it is totally run by Chinese mining conglomerates and every single major exchange has been hacked/shut down/robbed?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like, go ahead and bet on XAR.

Don't go and talk about how much better it is than BTC as if you have some crystal ball because you don't know, you're just guessing and making your bet like anyone else.

It's better. hth.

The entire point of risk analysis is to hedge against lovely bets like you are making.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

What do you think happened since then??? Hmm??

*preemptively owns you assuming ill be proven right later because i dont know what im talking about* -ham sandwiches

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah so perhaps there was a period of anomalous trading???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And then something happened that changed the trading activity????????????????????????????????????

And it settled into a new pattern???????????????????????????????????????????

What do you think?

I think you're super mad about this for unknown reasons and also it is funny how wrong you are.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Some loving way of knowing that........ like it is totally run by Chinese mining conglomerates and every single major exchange has been hacked/shut down/robbed?

It's better. hth.

The entire point of risk analysis is to hedge against lovely bets like you are making.

For those with the appetite for risk to speculate in emerging currencies, acting like warning them off speculative investments and steering them towards traditional ones is more sound is super dumb

I keep trying to explain to you that whatever good intentions you have just use them to gently caress up your own investments, don't spread the love

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I think you're super mad about this for unknown reasons and also it is funny how wrong you are.

What do you see in the chart, bro?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

For those with the appetite for risk to speculate in emerging currencies, acting like warning them off speculative investments and steering them towards traditional ones is more sound is super dumb

I keep trying to explain to you that whatever good intentions you have just use them to gently caress up your own investments, don't spread the love

Emerging currencies lmao you don't even know what a currency is.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What do you see in the chart, bro?

The same thing I see in tea leaves.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

What do you think happened since then??? Hmm??

*preemtively owns you assuming ill be proven right later because i dont know what im talking about* -ham sandwiches

I wanted the extra data bro to explain that it wasn't a decline it has stayed that way as the price has gone up and up, you don't even know what point I'm trying to make

This is a joke dude how can you post like this

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

The same thing I see in tea leaves.

Why pull this coy bullshit? What does the chart tell you, risk management expert, maybe try two sentences see if you can manage?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Not saying that chart is wrong, but it doesn't match this chart:

from https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This guy being wrong and being unable to make useful predictions

can't qualify risk or figure out which factors are casual and which are irrelevant

empirically yep
every post you make has you getting vaguer and vaguer as anyone who bothers to reply to you turns your sore rear end out because youre defending bitcoin as a longterm investment which is as stupid as it gets
you cried about goons warning against investing in bitcoin in the past and comrades pointed out that since then 70% of volume got stolen in only a single incident. that means you might as well multiply your imaginary profits by 0 right off that bat you dope

Uranium 235 posted:

Not saying that chart is wrong, but it doesn't match this chart:

from https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/
read the y-axis labels

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why pull this coy bullshit? What does the chart tell you, risk management expert, maybe try two sentences see if you can manage?

It means reading charts is for suckers and there is no useful information to be gleaned. Why are you so mad?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zerilan posted:

Trade volume in btc's the lowest it's been in like 4 years and took like a 95% drop the moment Chinese bots stopped trading with each other lol

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I believe your information may be secondhand and out of date. If it's not I'm real interested to read more details about this :)

exploded mummy posted:

Chinese currency controls kicked in around January 23rd, 2017

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah so the resumption of normal trading while bitcoin has been appreciating for the past 6 months once the 4 month period of anomalous trading came to an end, as they tend to do.

But it's important to frame it as a catastrophic drop in trading volume with no other context or explanation. Hmm. Do you think that, maybe, that is misleading?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

normal trading my dude its at its lowest point in two years also people did in fact explain the drop in trading volume

~time passes~

exploded mummy posted:

*looks at trade volumes ever since China started it's crackdown back in January*

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What do you think happened since then??? Hmm?? Can you update the pic??

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And then something happened that changed the trading ok activity????????????????????????????????????

And it settled into a new pattern????????????????????????????????????????????

What do you think?

lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I would not buy a bitcoin, Sam I am.
Even after listening to the words
Of sandwiches made of ham,
Whom I suspect are full of turds.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

every post you make has you getting vaguer and vaguer as anyone who bothers to reply to you turns your sore rear end out because youre defending bitcoin as a longterm investment which is as stupid as it gets
you cried about goons warning against using bitcoin in the past and comrades pointed out that since then 70% of volume got stolen in only a single incident. that means you might as well multiply your imaginary profits by 0 right off that bat you dope
read the y-axis labels

"I'm not wrong" repeats guy that claims BTC are a lovely scam as they keep appreciating and gaining in acceptance

"I'm not wrong!!! So many people agreed with me!! Made fun of fedora redditors and MT Gox!"

Anyway dude I'm sorry that you're so wrong and unable to predict valid investments seeing risks and ghosts and goblins where none exist. It must be a frightful experience.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Anyway dude I'm sorry that you're so wrong and unable to predict valid investments seeing risks and ghosts and goblins where none exist. It must be a frightful experience.

:thunk:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

One reason those charts don't match is that the first one (that shows a rapid decrease in volume) shows volume in BTC, while the one I posted shows volume in USD. As the price of BTC increases and more people hold onto their BTC, the volume of BTC exchanged should decrease even though the volume in USD value exchanged increases.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol you're so mad, Jesus christ.

Its not even a lol umad, I'm just honestly marvelling what a tizzy youre in over bitcoins.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"I'm not wrong" repeats guy that claims BTC are a lovely scam as they keep appreciating and gaining in acceptance

"I'm not wrong!!! So many people agreed with me!! Made fun of fedora redditors and MT Gox!"

yeah 70+% chance of losing all your money in the time frame youre bitching about goon warnings of. i have a hard time even pretending youre stupid enough to not think that qualifies as a risk. no one could actually be as stupid as you seem to be

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

read the y-axis labels

it seems to suggest that coinmarketcap didn't recognize all that volume pre-2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

~time passes~

lol
And you're not at all playing a shell game with the # of coins being traded vs the value of those coins, right? That's literally what I'm trying to establish in this whole dialogue.

The chart you are posting takes a period of anomalous trading activity where the # of coins being traded was very high. Then it implies that the trading drop was horrific and is a complete loss of confidence, liquidity and scale.

Except, we know that's not what's happening. The amount of money, in bitcoins, being traded is increasing, which is what the other chart shows.

I'm literally telling you your chart is false and misleading. I'm curious:
1. Do you agree? Were you aware that while # of coins being traded is down, the amt of money that represents is up since the coins themselves are worth more?
2. Were you aware that Bitcoin trading is pretty healthy at these new volumes and has remained healthy for months, which your chart now shows, meaning that this drop is probably not an indicator of something serious?
3. How do you reconcile that with how you were representing these charts

I know you think you owned me so I'd really like you to explain this part, because it's super interesting to me. I hope you put some real effort into your reply. What are you saying with that chart, explicitly?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Every single person that said that bitcoins were a scam, had no inherent value, that they were going to collapse, that the exchanges were fake, that you'd lose money mining them, and that it's used for drug transactions / money laundering is as wrong as it is possible to be wrong while still alive

It's impressive that if you wanted to find the world's biggest idiots, empirically, you simply need go back over the past 5-6 years and find everyone that bravely warned people against Buttcoins while acting smug about how right they are. Some of them are still posting in this thread, which owns.

Why

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm telling you you're loving stupid and probably shouldn't tell other people how to invest or make money given that this thing you keep calling BS on keeps appreciating, have you considered that?

Let me ask another way:
At what point would you have to admit that you were wrong? Like 6 months ago people were saying "You'll never be able to mine bitcoins profitably again, that time is past." Except anyone who had mined bitcoins would have made a profit, because they went up ~50% since then. So, I'm sure you'll claim they weren't wrong just like you weren't.

What would it take for your advice of "You should avoid bitcoins, don't mine them, it's a total scam" to be 100% clearly wrong? Can you come up with that criteria?

do

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, people are free to speculate with their money how they wish. You were sitting there doomsaying it months ago when it was $2500. On what basis did you warn people off this thing that has gotten more liquidity, more trading, more funds, more nation state support, and more valuation the whole time? Because it keeps being proven wrong.

Like the fact that you are wrong and unable to qualify risk properly - which is 100% empirically true, shouldn't affect other people negatively. Why keep giving out garbage advice that keeps turning out wrong? When do you intend to stop giving out advice that turns out untrue every single time?

you

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lmao people were saying you can never make a profit off coins you mine because chinese miners will outdo you. Now you're saying you're better off buying from scam exchanges and not wasting electricity l m a o.

If people had mined up coins the profit was roughly $3/hr. And that profit assumed that the coins would be worth $2500. The coins are now worth $4k which means the profit/hr was very very high. But as always, goons gave out garbage and useless advice that turned out to be untrue.

care

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That seems like very realistic success criteria... for someone trying at all costs to avoid admitting they were wrong

"Lol I just implied they were a scam, never said it, so I can't be called wrong when it turns out they are not"
-SA attorney ESQ

Lmao imagine if someone had the balls to say this a year ago the YOSPOS crew (WRITING A BOOK) would have torn them apart but now people have walked the claims THIS FAR BACK it's loving amazing :hellyeah:

so

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Your risk analysis is stupid poo poo that was claiming you knew it was a scam, you weren't even willing to call it a commodity (BECAUSE NO INHERENT VALUE) last time, but here it is lmao this suddenly woke nuanced opinion that wasn't there a few months ago at all?? how did it appear?? a bitcoin mystery

Just amazing imagine doing a risk analysis, calling bullshit, being wrong, and declaring yourself good at risk analysis. Well folks wrap it up. With that standard this guy will never be bad at analyzing risk, like when he warns people off an asset that appreciates 50%+ in a few months.

much

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There won't be a single person that will admit to being against Bitcoins despite years of posts to the contrary it's amazing, they vanish like a mirage the more the price goes up

about

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lmao imagine being this loving wrong, spending months going "HOW MANY DO YOU OWN" and now after being proven wrong retreating to "SO HOW MANY DID YOU BUY!!!"

Like I don't know, do you feel embarassed? Imagine the morons that claimed Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth. That's literally you dude. Doesn't that concern you?

this

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It means that every single goon prediction about its demise, about how its fundamentals were unsound, the exchanges being rigged were wrong, misleading, and useless. And everyone that perpetrated them is clearly not qualified to advise others re: investments yet did so for years anyway, smugly laughing at how dumb anyone that disagreed with them was. That's pretty incredible stuff, imo.

?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah and what if like, he got mugged or lost his wallet containing $100, what happens then?

Clearly cash is loving unreliable get rid of it and don't let anyone use it with you / around you.

?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm, because my concern is the garbage advice people are giving and not on making a buck?? Which is what I've seen saying the ENTIRE TIME?

!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I didn't make predictions that it would go up, I claimed that saying it was a scam that was guaranteed to fail was absolutely premature and that people had no way of knowing that.

I don't have to predict that it's going to go up or how much it will go up or what characteristics will cause it to go up.

My claim is that people saying it's a fraud or scam or unreliable are wrong and are giving garbage advice. I'm not making the claim, they are, and I am calling their claim false - and it is being proven false, empriically, over time.

?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I thought it was loving stupid listening to lazy bitcoin jokes for a few years, I hated the totally fake way that people constructed a narrative of guarnateed loss and fedora redditors, this is the first opportunity to point out how loving wrong they were, and here we are

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe people should discuss their investments with financial professionals instead of taking advice from GBS? :shrug:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I thought it was loving stupid listening to lazy bitcoin jokes for a few years, I hated the totally fake way that people constructed a narrative of guarnateed loss and fedora redditors, this is the first opportunity to point out how loving wrong they were, and here we are

It really is just that you could have been a millionaire by now if not for goons is it?

I had that feel once or twice but it is a false mistress.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe people should discuss their investments with financial professionals instead of taking advice from GBS? :shrug:

Sure, I'll even agree that maybe people should do what they feel is best, including discussing stuff if they so choose or just trying stuff if they also choose?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rent: $1200
Internet: $110
Phone: $200
Food: $200
Bitcoins: $3600

Please help with my budget, my family is dying.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

this is the first opportunity to point out how loving wrong they were, and here we are
lol you do this in every single bitcoin thread and you always think maybe this time will be different and you wont get slapped up but it already happened and you didnt even last an hour

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

lol you do this in every single bitcoin thread and you always think maybe this time will be different and you wont get slapped up but it already happened and you didnt even last an hour

Don't tell him about the green forum.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

??? I guess the same person that sees Bitcoin as a failing asset and helpfully spreads their useless predictions is also declaring me owned because ... ?? I don't know, he's just sure I am just like bitcoins are a scam

*ignores last thread we had this discussion they were $2500 now it's $4k*

No no keep telling me how I'm getting owned and you're not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

??? I guess the same person that sees Bitcoin as a failing asset and helpfully spreads their useless predictions is also declaring me owned because ... ?? I don't know, he's just sure I am just like bitcoins are a scam

*ignores last thread we had this discussion they were $2500 now it's $4k*

No no keep telling me how I'm getting owned and you're not wrong
if they were a bad investment at the figure of $2500 what makes you think theyre a good investment at $4000? that number by itself is meaningless but your whole argument is "durr the number go higher"

didnt you just say this was the first opportunity to complain about goons regarding bitcoin? but now youre citing previous threads? :thunk: its almost like youre a perennial bitcoin bitchboy

• Locked thread