Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't quite understand that corner trick. I'm so bad at anything larger than 10x10 grids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't quite understand that corner trick. I'm so bad at anything larger than 10x10 grids.

Yeah, I don't get the corner trick logic at all, but I've been able to 100% complete all the Pircross E games without it, so

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Phillby posted:

That was me in the eshop thread:

Hope this is still helpful :^)

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about. Though my friend pointed out to me when I explained it just now that technically that is still reducto ad absurdum, just one where you only have to look a couple moves ahead!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

In his typed out example:

If the first 10 starts in the top row, the 10 next to it must also start in the top row because of the first horizontal 2. Therefore it can be assumed that the first two columns are 10s straight down.

BUT

That's invalidated by the third row 1. If you had 10s in the first two vertical rows, you would expect the first number in all of the horizontal rows to be ≥2. But since the third row is a 1, the 10s can't start until the 4th row.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I don't get the corner trick logic at all, but I've been able to 100% complete all the Pircross E games without it, so
It's kind of hard to put into words, but the way it works is something like "the pair of 10s can't both start on the first tile, because then you'd have a 2 in the third row but you know there's a 1 there, but there's a 2 in the first row so they would have to start next to each other". And then in the screenshotted example below it, it'd be "the trio of 2s can't all start immediately because you'd have a 3 in the second row but you know there's a 2 there, and there's a 6 in the first row so you can't break up once you start, so the first one can't start on the first square".

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Super Mario Run is 50% off until October 12th. That puts it into "why not?" territory.

For what it is, it's really good, especially with the new mode. Might even be worth the price of admission for the totally insane Mario remix song.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Sorry goons but EDF is an unoptimized trash game and nowhere near perfect for switch.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Im glad I kept my 3DS around long enough to play remake metroid game I haven't played since 1987 or whatever so it's practically new to me.

Now I just need to finish it cause there ARE TOO MANY GAMES ON THE SWITCH

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Am I missing something with stardew valley, it won't let me use tools? I'm only on day two but I want to clear my farm and it won't let me use any tools, someone gave me a fishing rod but it won't let me fish? When I toggle the shoulder button it lets me hold seeds and flowers over my head but when I select tools nothing happens, seems weird

Edit:reloaded game, it works now, phew!

nerd_of_prey fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 5, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's kind of hard to put into words, but the way it works is something like "the pair of 10s can't both start on the first tile, because then you'd have a 2 in the third row but you know there's a 1 there, but there's a 2 in the first row so they would have to start next to each other". And then in the screenshotted example below it, it'd be "the trio of 2s can't all start immediately because you'd have a 3 in the second row but you know there's a 2 there, and there's a 6 in the first row so you can't break up once you start, so the first one can't start on the first square".

Ah, gotcha. I don't think I've ever had a situation in the Jupiter games that required that kind of logic, but maybe I made a similar leap without realizing it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kawabata posted:

Is that so? I've heard about the story not being as "good" (lol) as XC1 but everyone who played it told me the gameplay is even better with a host of qol improvements the predecessor obviously didn't have.

Anyone who told you this is lying to you, especially when it comes to combat and its layers upon layers of systems and buffs and SV triggers and god knows whatever the gently caress else. If you don't mess with the soul voice (or whatever it's called) stuff then you're even more at the mercy of RNG for things like mid-combat healing.

Flying around in a Skell is fun and rad though, no denying that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It boils down to 'if I fill this square will it eventually create a shape that doesn't fit the numbers?' It's basically guessing, except you're explicitly looking for wrong guesses so you can safety discount them. This makes it infinitely more useful than real guessing.

It works best close to/in corners because it's easier to see how your guess affects the squares around it, but it can be applied in many other situations too.

Earlier today I had a line with two possible positions for a block of 4, and wouldn't you know it one of them turned out to create an invalid block of 3 on the line above.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 5, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Didn't someone in here pull the trigger on Brave Dungeon+Dark Witch Story? Curious to hear impressions, it looks like it's two different games? Also Earth Atlantis looks pretty cool.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Rufio posted:

Sorry goons but EDF is an unoptimized trash game and nowhere near perfect for switch.
"Worlds best splitscreen shooter a bad fit for worlds greatest local multiplayer console"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So...

Stardew good?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Picked up both stardew and golf story today

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Still very early in Stardew but the port seems way better than the Xbox One was initially, so hopefully they ironed out most of the game-breaking bugs before releasing it this time. The only issues I'm seeing elsewhere online seem to be minor ones that were fixed with a reboot/reinstall. Hopefully my first-born doesn't end up getting born in a wall and aging improperly this time.

edit: Stardew good

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rufio posted:

EDF on the Switch would be perfect because the Switch would MAKE it perfect

MAKE EDF PERFECT AGAIN

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have a 3DS I never play anymore even though I want to. Any non-anime come out this year? Just a preference don't hate on me.

e: Besides samus

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't care about EDF on Switch. I want JDF on Switch. Jason David Frank

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kawabata posted:

Is that so? I've heard about the story not being as "good" (lol) as XC1 but everyone who played it told me the gameplay is even better with a host of qol improvements the predecessor obviously didn't have.

The on-foot combat is one step forward from XC1, but then you get into the mech combat and it's two steps back

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

The main story is incredibly loving dumb but the sidequests have a lot of entertaining storytelling in them. On-foot exploration is fun. Giant robot exploration, despite what you might think is... not as fun.

But really the environments are super pretty and fun to run around in. If the groan-inducing story doesn't bother you, you'll have a hell of a time!

Why the hell are you guys talking about xenoblade chronicles X in here? It made me think it had come out for the switch. Did it?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

Why the hell are you guys talking about xenoblade chronicles X in here? It made me think it had come out for the switch. Did it?

No, but it was the most recent game in a series with a Switch entry coming soon. Namaste

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Didn't someone in here pull the trigger on Brave Dungeon+Dark Witch Story? Curious to hear impressions, it looks like it's two different games? Also Earth Atlantis looks pretty cool.

I bought it and it's basically a bog standard dungeon crawler. There's not much story to be found, the music is really repetitive, and the UI is minimal, but if you love your animes and want a grindy sort of game you can pick up for 10-15 minutes at a time game, you could probably do worse for the eight bucks or whatever it costs. Didn't try the other game/mode yet.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

So...

Stardew good?

It's ok, I mean it is what it is. It's just been massively (and not justifiably) overhyped imo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
MY WIFE is playing Stardew Valley and I'm going nuts because it sounds like the speakers on my TV have blown out, a static-y type sound along with the game's normal audio. I mess around with unplugging things and checking my stereo and the TV's audio settings to no avail, then I start googling. Turns out it's a thing that other people have noticed. Probably wouldn't bug me in portable mode but on the TV it's kind of maddening.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Rufio posted:

EDF is amazing and it wouldn't be EDF without terrible performance, so therefore would be perfect for the switch

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inzombiac posted:

So...

Stardew good?

Do you know for a fact that you like Harvest Moon, and to a lesser degree of relation, Animal Crossing? Then yes, probably.

Do you know for a fact that you don’t like Harvest Moon? Then no, definitely not.

Not sure? Welp you’re gonna have to take the plunge and find out!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stardoom

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only reason you might not like Stardew Valley on Nintendo Switch (tm) is if you somehow decide you need mods.

Otherwise if you've ever liked a Harvest Moon type game, you're good to go.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Liking Rune Factory doesn't guarantee you'll like Stardew but liking Harvest Moon does

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rufio posted:

Watch it Fredo, or someone may take you fishing with those words....

EDF fans are dedicated.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm not into the character designs. Except for Pam

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nerdz posted:

Because someone asked about it, the Wii U thread is dead, and the next installment is coming out on Switch? :shrug: It's not so much of a stretch.

enojy posted:

Do you know for a fact that you like Harvest Moon, and to a lesser degree of relation, Animal Crossing? Then yes, probably.

Do you know for a fact that you don’t like Harvest Moon? Then no, definitely not.

Not sure? Welp you’re gonna have to take the plunge and find out!

Oddly enough, I didn't like Harvest Moon when I played the (one of?) the DS one, but I like Stardew Valley just fine. Haven't played enough of Rune Factory 4 to decide if I like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's looking better and better that I'll still be able to get a splatoon bundle the day Mario comes out and cop those with Zelda. I want to get all 3 to justify the console purchase, but god I want those neon joycons.

My area has been stacked with 80+ units all month long.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey Ausgoons, Stardew is like $6 cheaper on the mexican eshop

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Because someone asked about it, the Wii U thread is dead, and the next installment is coming out on Switch? :shrug: It's not so much of a stretch.

If they ported XCX and bayonetta 2 to the switch I would be able to forget that the wii U exists. The fact that XCX is bad means I'm halfway there anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I get that the art in Stardew is kinda hinky, but man what the gently caress is up with Grandpa Green-Santa's bed's legs?! I know you can draw a straight line, ConcernedApe!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yeah, originally they said the Switch version would miss that date. Too bad I'll be busy playing Mario. Poor unloved Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I get that the art in Stardew is kinda hinky, but man what the gently caress is up with Grandpa Green-Santa's bed's legs?! I know you can draw a straight line, ConcernedApe!

• Locked thread