Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Isaac rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Hahaha... it was plank ×1000

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Time travel?!?

Or she's pulling someone's leg.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Or she's pulling someone's leg.
Wokka wokka

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
THERE'S our high-concept sci-fi plot!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo the thing she was wearing to the party looked like Daniels future suit

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NO NOT MY ROBO BUDDY

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ctrl+Alt+Del, CTRL+ALT+DEL!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
:ohdear: Welp, that was quick and unexpected.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This seems like something Isaac's people should've given them data on...

E: Oh my GOD that foot

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The crew chairs have the same shape as the quantum drive.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I reiterate how gorgeous this show is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I reiterate how gorgeous this show is

That was some good fuckin wormhole effects

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well they have a future doodad transporter.

The doctor's mobile emitter was good, so..... I'm cautiously optimistic

edit: never mind, reset button?

errr.... jeez i dunno

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kind of an ehhh ending to an otherwise great episode

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Regy Rusty posted:

Kind of an ehhh ending to an otherwise great episode

Yeah I don't like them hitting the reset button. It didn't feel "earned," there was nothing poignant or bittersweet about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did they though? He looked like he remembered.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Hehe, another jar of pickles. CALLING IT: at some point, Alara will ask what pickles are.

Overall a good episode, Charlize Theron was used well. Still, it seems that they created a paradox at the end; if they destroyed the wormhole now, it doesn't exist in the future, so Pria couldn't travel back, so they were all killed, so they didn't destroy the wormhole, which means she did travel back...

Commercials every four minutes is loving annoying.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Gynovore posted:

Hehe, another jar of pickles. CALLING IT: at some point, Alara will ask what pickles are.

Or he will have an actual jar of pickles he can’t open, and she will open it and be all “ohhhhh.”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

She said she had to bring the crew to the future because they should be dead and she didn't want to change the timeline too much. Except, if she hadn't gone back in time, they wouldn't have changed course to rescue her and probably would not have encountered the bubbles anyways. So... eh?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another good episode overall, but ehhh that ending was kinda lame.

The floppy half-regenerated foot loving killed me though, and I love that the humour in the show is mostly hitting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm still surprised she was really from the future, because the Next Generation episode like this one had the future guy be a fraud.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
-great wormhole
-neat idea showing dark matter which was cool, invisible stuff they couldn't detect
-Ive had that fantasy where I go back in time and make millions on antiques
-Blobnorm mentioned outside of sex joke, he's an engineer
-mining consortiums exist, so there's an economy?
-I kind of get the timeline thing? But it falls apart the more you think about it
-Isaac's prank redeems the flat ending and any other issues for the next two episodes

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Me and my brother were watching it together and, when the mr. potato head scene happened, we both looked at each other and said "he's going to cut someone's limb off."

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Mantis42 posted:

She said she had to bring the crew to the future because they should be dead and she didn't want to change the timeline too much. Except, if she hadn't gone back in time, they wouldn't have changed course to rescue her and probably would not have encountered the bubbles anyways. So... eh?

I think they threw in some techno-babble about quantum fluctuations, so I assume the idea was their proximity allowed their personal timeline to stay stable with the changes. Or else the universe decided to wait out to see if FOX snuffs them out instead.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Jeffe posted:

I think they threw in some techno-babble about quantum fluctuations, so I assume the idea was their proximity allowed their personal timeline to stay stable with the changes. Or else the universe decided to wait out to see if FOX snuffs them out instead.

Ah, quantum mechanics: the way lazy sci-fi writers get out of any plothole.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I wonder if the teleporter thing in his desk also disappeared. If not, I wonder if they'll use it in a pinch for some future situation.

Episode wasn't as good as last week's but was still better than all of the STD episodes so far.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The episode felt like it wasn't meant to include time travel at first.

I think it was that as long as the wormhole is active, temporal mechanics remain in flux and history can be rewritten. Since the dark matter storm was already over they'd continue to exist. But...uh

Why did she return to her time? Unless she put them in the storm's way they should've disappeared like she did right? It doesn't make sense. Why even go near the storm in the first place, what would it accomplish?

If she just went back in time, baited a random ship, set up a fake storm to fake fly through to gain their trust then I get that. But why gain their trust when the end goal is to use the device to fly them through the wormhole anyway?

You hate time travel! You hate time travel! You hate time travel!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

But I do appreciate how alien the 29th century alien looked. I secretly hate rubber foreheads. Don't tell the Star Trek thread.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked how Star Trek handled it. The first civilization-building race seeded lookalike races before screwing off to god know's where. That's why there's a gajillion humanoid races.

Non-Humanoid races were always such a bother. The Sheliak Corporate. The Dominion. The Q. Animals and poo poo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Great episode, great prank, meh ending.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mantis42 posted:

They were back on their original course, the one they'd have to deviate 5 days from to get repairs at Outpost 49.

Really solid episode. I think the humor has settled down to a perfect mix of absurdities played straight and actual laugh out loud funny stuff. Mixed with both a good SF and a good character plot made for a very entertaining show. Everyone had good moments, except for Bortas and he had an episode and a half just now, so its fair. If it stays like this I'm going to be a very happy fan.

The ending, I do not think was flat. It was bittersweet and showed real character for Ed. His personal issues are no longer affecting his performance as a Union officer. Good on him.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

"I don't ever do it near the food, you know that."

The best thing about this show is the fact that lines like this reinforce Ed's previous history with his ex-wife in more detail than Riker and Troi ever really got.

I really respected that Pira's plan seemed like it was genuinely, for lack of a word, humane. Looking at things from a temporal third-party perspective, the only change was three-hundred people who died got to keep living. Sure, she's making bank off it, but hey, Money + Saving 300 People seems like a pretty decent thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, that dangly foot was so gross and hilarious.

Re: Timeline stuff. Them diverting course to save Pria probably didn't matter. The timeline had them dying in the dark matter storm, it probably didn't matter exactly when it happened. She gets saved, they head off in their original course which still leads into the dark matter storm. They get bashed up, she kills communications, and then takes over the ship. The reason why she didn't immediately take the ship and fly to the wormhole is because she needed something to convince them to live in the 29th century. She couldn't just steal the ship and say "It's ok, you guys were about to get blown up anyway, I'm actually saving you." Them getting stuck in the dark matter storm and her being the only person who can get them out makes it believable that they really would have died originally.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Solid acting from Seth in this one

Isaac is the poo poo and the prank made me audibly laugh

Seriously that poo poo was funny

Ending was meh and wrapped up too quickly

Junior Mints

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

shades of eternity posted:

as for the episode itself, I keep getting reminded by an old canadian scifi known as starlost.

that is not a bad thing. :D
Hey, from a few back but I think that show was the butchered carcass of Phoenix Without Ashes, a Harlan Ellison spec about, you guessed it, a multi-level genship that has its nav crew taken out by a freak meteor storm. The protagonist is some teen that is constrained by his NotAmish life, and he discovers they're in a ship and gets exiled with some girl, only to embark on a way to save the ship from crashing into a sun or something.

Ellison struck his name from the show because he's a crusty gently caress that doesnt understand how things get adapted, and like 30 years later released a graphic novel about his original pitch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, from a few back but I think that show was the butchered carcass of Phoenix Without Ashes, a Harlan Ellison spec about, you guessed it, a multi-level genship that has its nav crew taken out by a freak meteor storm. The protagonist is some teen that is constrained by his NotAmish life, and he discovers they're in a ship and gets exiled with some girl, only to embark on a way to save the ship from crashing into a sun or something.

Ellison struck his name from the show because he's a crusty gently caress that doesnt understand how things get adapted, and like 30 years later released a graphic novel about his original pitch.

Starlost ?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mllaneza posted:

Starlost ?
Yup!

quote:

On March 31, 1974, Ellison received a Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Screenplay for the original script (the pilot script as originally written, not the version that was filmed). A novelization of this script by Edward Bryant, Phoenix Without Ashes, was published in 1975; this contained a lengthy foreword by Ellison describing what had gone on in production. In 2010 the novel was adapted in comic book form by IDW Publishing.

Another problem Starlost had was trying to use an experimental FX system (Magicam) to sync camera movements between actors on a green screen and a miniature set.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Even when I was told about the practical joke ahead of time by reading this thread it still managed to be hilarious when I saw it. I mean yeah, it was an entire episode almost wrapped around that joke but that didn't diminish it in the least. Heck it is probably the one time I laughed out loud when watching the show so far, but that's because jokes need to be pretty intense to get a laugh out of me.

Story itself was good, no real complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why did they get stuck in the star's gravity when they were under the time limit of how long they can be there without getting stuck in the star's gravity