Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Hello children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
That's a pretty old deck, chummer.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
They've got blues in 'em and they are loving impossible to get a hold of because they're not made anymore and I'm apparently the only person on Earth who thinks they loving rule.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Instant Grat posted:

They've got blues in 'em and they are loving impossible to get a hold of because they're not made anymore and I'm apparently the only person on Earth who thinks they loving rule.

Well there's now at least one more person who's interested. What are those from? Why are the arrows and page keys duplicated?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
They're financial keyboards - you can swap the two halves depending on what kind of work you're using it for. The manufacturer is DSI and the model number is DCK-101 (previously SMK-101).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ordered a $90 set of keycaps kill me now

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

mewse posted:

I bought that set in orange and black, it loving rules.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ErikTheRed posted:

I bought that set in orange and black, it loving rules.

Thank you for validating my poor impulse control

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
If it makes you feel any better, I bought the MaxKey SA Miami Night and MaxKey SA Miami Day just so I can use the mods of one and the alphas of the other.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I wouldn't spend 90 bucks on a maxkey set with terrible novelty keys. If I spend more than 50 bucks on a keycap set it's going to be GMK or SP.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I wouldn't spend 90 bucks on a maxkey set with terrible novelty keys. If I spend more than 50 bucks on a keycap set it's going to be GMK or SP.

I wanted dolch in SA profile. I could get DSA profile from SP for $125 but the chinese have DSA profile in PBT plastic for $40-50ish. Seems like GMK have it in Cherry profile

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

mewse posted:

lmao, I will never reveal to this thread how much I've spent on keycaps. The weight of the shame and guilt would crush everyone.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

lmao, I will never reveal to this thread how much I've spent on keycaps. The weight of the shame and guilt would crush everyone.

I'm looking at secondary market prices for the recent SA Dasher set and thinking about buying it and I don't even know who I have become.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay I get the keyboard thing and like both my unicomp and my cherry-brown keyboard but what's the deal with these keycaps? How do keycaps vary? What makes a good one that you'd spend a bunch of money for? Is it just weight/color?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I get the keyboard thing and like both my unicomp and my cherry-brown keyboard but what's the deal with these keycaps? How do keycaps vary? What makes a good one that you'd spend a bunch of money for? Is it just weight/color?

There are different profiles:

There are different plastics, mainly ABS and PBT.

There are different methods of printing the legends: double-shot plastic can't rub off. Dye sublimated can't realistically rub off. Other methods aren't as durable.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Literally all of it is personal preference. Be it the colourway, the profile:

What makes a "good" one is basically the quality of keycaps from respective vendors and how they look, how the legends are made (dye-subbed, double shot, etc). There's also the type of plastic, which is mostly ABS or PBT.

People poo poo on ABS keycaps since most people are exposed to the lovely, brittle and thin ones that come stock with most mechanical keyboards. Quality ABS keycaps are great. Signature Plastics' SA keycaps mostly come in ABS, but they're solid and thick as gently caress. The same applies for the ones from GMK. Cheaper brands from the likes of Tai Hao are also much thicker than the ones you'd find stock from OEMs.

People like PBT because it has a rougher and more matte texture, it's also mostly only found in higher quality keycap sets.

Beyond that, what's good is entirely up to you. The prices are up there since these keycaps aren't as mass-produced. There's also price gouging going on in the second-hand market for keycaps that are in high-demand. What makes them high in demand? Mostly because people like how they look and they're not readily available to be purchased unless another person/vendor runs a group buy to get them made.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

So far I've only spent like $45 on those double shot pbt vortex caps the thread likes well enough.

However if my "end game" caps were available I'd probably pay upwards of $300 for one set. Which would be double shot pbt SA profile in a color scheme I like, I'm a bit flexible on that, but generally I like what I got for my home keyboard that's just oem abs with alternating inverse colored mods. Which means I'd probably have to get a base set, 10-key, and an alternate mod set to do the alternating, so $300 might be reasonable :v:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Look, I'm in real deep y'all. One day I will begin posting images of the keycaps on actual boards and then you can all spend the time to figure out how much it all cost me.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get a custom kailh switch designed/made because cherry mx greens and clears aren't enough for me and my insatiable keyboard lust will definitely be the (economic) end of me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Look, I'm in real deep y'all. One day I will begin posting images of the keycaps on actual boards and then you can all spend the time to figure out how much it all cost me.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get a custom kailh switch designed/made because cherry mx greens and clears aren't enough for me and my insatiable keyboard lust will definitely be the (economic) end of me.

Aren't Zealios 78gs next the list of "really firm and clicky"

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Aren't Zealios 78gs next the list of "really firm and clicky"

They're tactile, and I'm not a huge fan of the "smoothness" the creator seems to claim. They feel wobbly to me. I want a brick poo poo house of a switch that feels and sounds like it's built like a brick poo poo house on actuation. My needs are unique. :/

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I don't need to find out if there's anything more "greenish" than the greens. I want to remain happy and satisfied in my ignorance.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Buy a whole bunch of pens, steal the springs from them, cut them in half, and enjoy your aching fingers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

They're tactile, and I'm not a huge fan of the "smoothness" the creator seems to claim. They feel wobbly to me. I want a brick poo poo house of a switch that feels and sounds like it's built like a brick poo poo house on actuation. My needs are unique. :/

search youtube for "beamspring keyboard"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

G-Prime posted:

Buy a whole bunch of pens, steal the springs from them, cut them in half, and enjoy your aching fingers.

I'm training for the fingerlympics

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Buckling springs or even better, beam springs are the answer. Matias clicky are definitely more robust than any Cherry switch - that might be worth your attention.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Instant Grat posted:

search youtube for "beamspring keyboard"

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Buckling springs or even better, beam springs are the answer. Matias clicky are definitely more robust than any Cherry switch - that might be worth your attention.

If I could stick a solenoid in a custom case I would do it in a heartbeat. A brick poo poo house heartbeat.

Y'all, I appreciate you trying to talk me out of designing my own switch but like I said, I'm in deep. This will not end well for me, but you can use me as a poster child for the "Keyboards: Opiates for Your Wallet" PSA.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is the OP still updated on keyboard recommendations?

In February I purchased this hot mess: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXF7HFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice, pretty, colors look fine, and the perfect size with no giant hunks of poo poo circling it.

Unfortunately now it's starting to die on me. At first it was giving me chatter on some keys or outright missing keystrokes, After speaking with the seller he insisted that y keys were just dirty and I had to clean it. Even though the loving thing was pristine before and after spraying it with compressed air and putting keys back in, it kinda ran fine for a few days before giving me poo poo again, seller agreed to send me some free switches since mine somehow didn't come with any, generous guy gave me 5 [loving wow] and while I replaced most of the serious keys, I'm still suffering from the lovely ones with new issues popping up.

tl;dr I'm looking for a new keyboard to buy maybe at the end of this month that is similar to mine [Which I think is an 80%] I was considering the ROG Claymore but it seems to be sold out everywhere since it seems right up my alley and comes with the optional numpad part if I ever want it. Looking to pay like $150~ if that's not too little.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dizz posted:

tl;dr I'm looking for a new keyboard to buy maybe at the end of this month that is similar to mine [Which I think is an 80%] I was considering the ROG Claymore but it seems to be sold out everywhere since it seems right up my alley and comes with the optional numpad part if I ever want it. Looking to pay like $150~ if that's not too little.

That layout seems to be referred to as a 75%, 84-key layout. There seem to be a bunch of parts available to build a version called xd84.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

mewse posted:

That layout seems to be referred to as a 75%, 84-key layout. There seem to be a bunch of parts available to build a version called xd84.

As long as it's close as possible to being minimal I'm fine with.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

My Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S just crapped out on me. Completely stopped working no lights no nothing. I tried opening it up to see if I could spot a short or anything but the underside of the PCB seems perfectly fine. Incredibly disappointing for a $170CAD keyboard to just loving die 5 months later like that.

I don't have money really right now but I noticed Mechanicalkeyboards has started selling theirs on amazon.ca, without the crazy import costs. If they're still in stock by the time I get paid, would a Disco TKL RGB work well as a replacement?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tyty posted:

My Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S just crapped out on me. Completely stopped working no lights no nothing. I tried opening it up to see if I could spot a short or anything but the underside of the PCB seems perfectly fine. Incredibly disappointing for a $170CAD keyboard to just loving die 5 months later like that.

I don't have money really right now but I noticed Mechanicalkeyboards has started selling theirs on amazon.ca, without the crazy import costs. If they're still in stock by the time I get paid, would a Disco TKL RGB work well as a replacement?

If it died in only five months it's probably still under warranty, so I'd get in touch with CM. I don't know much about their support but hopefully it'll be inexpensive to get it replaced.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, I'd go with the warranty route first. The MK disco is a good replacement as well, it's more or less the same thing but without the CM software, so everything is programmed through the keyboard itself.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I want a bluetooth keyboard (do not want to have to use a usb dongle) for my Mac primarily with a num pad.

any suggestions?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://imgur.com/Zk3wTDy

Got my dumb Marble wrist wrest finally

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Looks awesome. What keycaps / board is that? Love the green accents.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Looks awesome. What keycaps / board is that? Love the green accents.

Its a Topre Realforce 55G uniform, keycaps are Topre stem and fomr a HHKB set.

Limes are realforce singles from a lime set that I got off EK.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So I'm looking to buy a new keyboard since my current one is starting to crap out on me. How did you guys find what switch works for you? I went to my local Frys but all they had were Cherry Red, Browns, and a bunch of other random switches. I liked the Browns but want to try out the other ones before I buy a keyboard. Saw the switch tester on Amazon but was curious to see if there was anything else you guys did.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

keevo posted:

So I'm looking to buy a new keyboard since my current one is starting to crap out on me. How did you guys find what switch works for you? I went to my local Frys but all they had were Cherry Red, Browns, and a bunch of other random switches. I liked the Browns but want to try out the other ones before I buy a keyboard. Saw the switch tester on Amazon but was curious to see if there was anything else you guys did.

I bought one keyboard, then another with a different type of switches, then another, etc. I've settled on Cherry MX Greens but I still pick up keyboards from time to time. A switch tester is a good idea to get the idea of how a switch feels compared to others, but it's not a replacement for typing on a keyboard full of that kind of switch.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

keevo posted:

I bought a $30 keyboard from Amazon that lets you hotswap any MX switch in out and out (Team Wolf Zhuque). I then proceeded to buy almost every switch out there. From all the clickies and the tactiles, some linears. Then I figured out what I like and got more of those and put them in their own boards. Then sold the ones I didn't like to friends or have the switches laying around in a drawer somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

mewse posted:

This is probably the best price you'd pay for that many keys in SA profile. Any set with some nicer novelties will be way more expensive for this number of keys and the novelties being in an add-on kit anyway. I got this set on my xd60 and I'm very happy with the quality/feel.

This layout has a 2u shift btw, which is a hard cap to find. So I just made it 2 1u and have one as the Fn.