Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The new Star Trek is outstanding.

This can't be said enough. Not a single character is wasted, they are all brilliant. Every time I think I have a favourite someone else impresses the gently caress out of me. Cadet Tilly in episode 3 stole every scene she was in, she's adorably awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm honestly a bit incredulous about liking the new Trek. Never expected that at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my cold/flu/whatever came back so i've been curled up on the couch watching season 1 of The Exorcist, it is ridiculously great in every possible way

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I finished BS:G the other day and I still don’t know how I feel about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that's called Lost Syndrome where the end kind of sucks but you're also glad it's over

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binged through American Vandal on Netflix last week. It started out being hilarious, and turned into a pretty well written series.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah that's called Lost Syndrome where the end kind of sucks but you're also glad it's over

I will say that Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell acted their asses off in spite of the material. But yeah, I was never looking for some big grand prophecy or this or that. And that shift that occurs when the final 5 find each other.... it’s like how the gently caress did we get here from there?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to end a show properly when it's as good as BSG

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Watching Reilly: Ace of Spies, which I saw about half of in reruns some years ago but have never finished. I remembered Sam Neill being great in it and he is. Would've been a great James Bond, so he would.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend and I have this game we play, where we write down our predictions for the season of each show we're watching. We're allowed to update them halfway through the season, and we do it for every show we watch. It's kind of fun, but she's eerily good at stuff like this.

She had predicted a lot of the things that happened in the Good Place.

She predicted the Ending of Loss.

She's predicted everyone whose died it in TWD

She's called every major shot in GoT.

It's kind of getting ridiculous lol. I put my foot down when we watch Rick and Morty season finale live, and she reveals her note that says:

"Season Ends with Rick and the President have a huge dumb fight, The President probably has really lovely Rick Tech. The whole thing is an inversion of the first episode of the first season, down to the family being happy and Rick being miserable but staying (Instead of Rick being happy, and the family being miserable.) Nothing important happens with all of the set up, and all of the character growth makes the family better

Also Ricklantis Mixup is a fake-out. It's going to be some artsy avant garde thing that'll make the internet cream it's pants."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your GF is from the future.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Time traveling show spoilering girlfriend sounds like both a gift and a curse.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Since the hyping of Oztark and Spartacus I can't really take you seriously anymore guys

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goons have mostly been real good with the recommendations this year but the amount of love for "most average show of all time" Ozark is BAFFLING

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Recent binges:

Boss: really amazing stuff, but it looks like it got cancelled after season 2. Worth a watch anyway

Narcos 3: not so bad, not so good. The Cali guys are good, but Pablo Escobar left a void that wanst properly filled. Pascal is great, and its a good thing that the blonde guy is gone, he was terrible

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Spartacus rules though?????

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Zaggitz posted:

Yes, if you enjoy super cheesy dialogs, sweaty male bodies moving around in most scenes just because sweaty male bodies, terrible acting, awkward sex and combat scenes that always follow the line of getting the hero's rear end pounded heavily before he heroicly rises up and make his victory move.

edit:
Also, why are most characters speaking like they're in a poorly performed Oddyssee play?

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 3, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many episodes did you watch? The first 4 are bad but it genuinely turns into a good show.

They speak weird because I think they are emulating Latin grammar

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 3, 2017

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah I know, it sounds super dumb. I've seen the first season, might check on season 2 some day when I'm in the mood for gladiator fights but I'm pretty sure it'll be terrible again

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah if you didnt like the kill them all episode then it's not for you

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's definitely not for you if you didn't like season 1

YOU have BAD TASTE :catstare:

there I said

i fuckin said it!!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Parkingtigers posted:

This can't be said enough. Not a single character is wasted, they are all brilliant. Every time I think I have a favourite someone else impresses the gently caress out of me. Cadet Tilly in episode 3 stole every scene she was in, she's adorably awkward.

I was really hoping for more Daft Punk robot person because :3: but you're 100% right. I love how they did the Klingons and their ships. The effects, the writing, the acting all are fantastic. I feel like a kid again watching this show.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mu Zeta posted:

Quoted for truth.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

They speak weird because I think they are emulating Latin grammar

I'm pretty sure it's just faux-Shakespeare that some historical epics like to do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Klaaz posted:

Yeah I know, it sounds super dumb. I've seen the first season, might check on season 2 some day when I'm in the mood for gladiator fights but I'm pretty sure it'll be terrible again

Yeah, it's just not for you then. No big deal. I agree with you on Ozarks though. That show is boring. Like, reeeeeeeally boring. And stupid. Couldn't even give it my normal 3 episode try.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I tried Brockmire and it sucked.

I tried Get Shorty and am going to have to watch 5 1/2 more episodes between now and Sunday in case EPIX takes the episodes off the on-demand channel on Spectrum (unless they keep them on there past the "Expires" date, which I'd assume they would), but I'm fine with that because it's great. Delta had Get Shorty as part of their in-seat video offering and I tried it on a whim. Ray Romano's character is a delightful tire fire of a human being and April (Megan Stevenson) is underrated in what she does.

e- My one complaint is a pet peeve of mine in watching TV: I hate it when a series which is a reboot/reimagining uses a lazy method to either call back to the original or tie in an original element of the first series.

When I watched Hawaii Five-0 before it turned into a product placement-laden pile of crap, Danny's daughter referred to him as "Danno", referring back to "Book 'em, Danno" from the original 1960s series. In Get Shorty, Miles refers to his daughter as "Shorty". It's like they're saying "Uh, this is kinda related to the book and the movie, but...I don't know...use "Shorty" as a nickname for the kid and call it even."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

In 2 weeks you've been gooning for 15 years.

You should do an AMA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zaggitz posted:

Maybe, but every recommendation should come with a clear disclaimer that the first few episodes are absolutely ridiculous

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe, but every recommendation should come with a clear disclaimer that the first few episodes are absolutely ridiculous

To be fair, it usually does. TVIV rule 2,305. Spartacus first 3.5 episodes are kinda flaccid. Then the cock rages on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TVIV rule 1, never ever watch episode 1 of Spartacus under any circumstance

TVIV rule 2,306, my cock rages on

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I bounced off The Sopranos once or twice, but I started it yesterday and I'm almost through the first season. It holds up pretty well, and the payoffs are great.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So, I flew through leftovers. I'm not... Sure how I feel. Going through the seasons,it felt a little disjointed at points but I really enjoyed the majority of season 3. Scott Glenn is a treasure. I'm not sure what I wanted from the ending, and while I enjoyed it, I think I wanted maybe just a little bit more.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Manhunt Unabomber is really good, y'all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think Sam Worthington just needs to stick to TV. He was excellent in Love My Way (though, then again, everyone was).

Manhunt's certainly worth the watch.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kingtheninja posted:

So, I flew through leftovers. I'm not... Sure how I feel. Going through the seasons,it felt a little disjointed at points but I really enjoyed the majority of season 3. Scott Glenn is a treasure. I'm not sure what I wanted from the ending, and while I enjoyed it, I think I wanted maybe just a little bit more.

I'm near the end of Season 1 and I 'm not sure either. It's pretty decently made and has some interesting ideas, but the dream and misunderstanding tropes are killing me.

edit: Finished Season 1. I'd summarize that Leftovers is pretty average TV series that struggles to find enough interesting things to fill its runtime. Didn't bother moving on to following seasons.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 7, 2017

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It has SUPER formulaic, amateur hour network TV writing/directing with some pretty bad actors.

However Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany are great, and the story itself is at its core quite interesting, so despite the :rolleyes: it's pretty alright.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I started watching Hung on HBO because Lenore is hot but I just finished Season 2, and I'll be damned if it isn't actually a really good show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

[quote="“pigdog”" post="“477125559”"]
I’m near the end of Season 1 and I ‘m not sure either. It’s pretty decently made and has some interesting ideas, but the dream and misunderstanding tropes are killing me.

edit: Finished Season 1. I’d summarize that Leftovers is pretty average TV series that struggles to find enough interesting things to fill its runtime. Didn’t bother moving on to following seasons.
[/quote]

I thought Season 2 was the most perfect season of any TV show I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pigdog posted:

I'm near the end of Season 1 and I 'm not sure either. It's pretty decently made and has some interesting ideas, but the dream and misunderstanding tropes are killing me.

edit: Finished Season 1. I'd summarize that Leftovers is pretty average TV series that struggles to find enough interesting things to fill its runtime. Didn't bother moving on to following seasons.

Season 2 has a new setting and replaces a lot of the secondary cast. It's a mini reboot and it's really good. New theme song too that's not up its rear end about how prestige tv it is.

Rocksicles posted:

In 2 weeks you've been gooning for 15 years.

You should do an AMA

I've tried Twitter and Reddit and I don't get them because I'm old