Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Looking for a 90s or 2000s Metal song where the chord progression is a lot like Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. Heavy downstroke triplets of 3 strings or more, progressing upwards. 111 111 111 111 222 222 222 222 333 333 333 333, etc. The singer sounds a bit like Geddy Lee.

Sounds a bit like System of a Down but less wacky and more straightforward. Or a heavier, less moody Tool. I'm sure I'll know the band name when someone says it but I can't come up with it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm hoping someone can help. I've been trying to remember the name of a band from the mid 90s or so. I'd probably classify them as metal/alt-metal. They had a similar sound to Helmet, but heavier. One of the defining things about this band was that the lead singer was also the drummer. I think they were based out of the US. They had at least one album released. I know it's not a lot to go buy :shobon:

If you think you'd recognise the band name here's a thread from Reddit where they're talking about singing drummers, maybe it's one of them?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm hoping someone can help. I've been trying to remember the name of a band from the mid 90s or so. I'd probably classify them as metal/alt-metal. They had a similar sound to Helmet, but heavier. One of the defining things about this band was that the lead singer was also the drummer. I think they were based out of the US. They had at least one album released. I know it's not a lot to go buy :shobon:

Godsmack?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cultural Marxist posted:

If you think you'd recognise the band name here's a thread from Reddit where they're talking about singing drummers, maybe it's one of them?

No dice on that. Thanks for the link though. I've been scouring a bunch of forums recently trying to jog my memory.

I don't think the band I'm looking for was popular or even that successful. Unfortunately nostalgia demands I find them

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

paperchaseguy posted:

Looking for a 90s or 2000s Metal song where the chord progression is a lot like Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. Heavy downstroke triplets of 3 strings or more, progressing upwards. 111 111 111 111 222 222 222 222 333 333 333 333, etc. The singer sounds a bit like Geddy Lee.

Sounds a bit like System of a Down but less wacky and more straightforward. Or a heavier, less moody Tool. I'm sure I'll know the band name when someone says it but I can't come up with it myself.

It could be Coheed and Cambria, but darker and heavier than most of their stuff.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Wild googling guess, but Underoath?

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

paperchaseguy posted:

It could be Coheed and Cambria, but darker and heavier than most of their stuff.

This jogged my memory a bit, and I think you might be looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJJ27NxYamY.

It's not identical to Kashmir, but once the main part of the song starts it's very 111 111 111 etc and it's on the heavier end of Coheed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SkunkDuster posted:

Wild googling guess, but Underoath?

Nope :(

I'm starting to think this band was too obscure to find now. Probably only released that one album.

edit:

Underoath reminded me of Undertow which is REALLY close to the sound of the band I'm thinking of.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 19, 2017

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I caught the tail-end of this indie rock sounding song, the last few lines are "it will never be the same/it will never be the same" sung by a dude. That's not much to go on, but HALP PLEASE!

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

A.s.P. posted:

I caught the tail-end of this indie rock sounding song, the last few lines are "it will never be the same/it will never be the same" sung by a dude. That's not much to go on, but HALP PLEASE!

Did they sound British? Indie rock band One Night Only has a song that seems to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5Cym5y7pM

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Did they sound British? Indie rock band One Night Only has a song that seems to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5Cym5y7pM

drat! That's really close! But it sounded less dreamy and twinkly and more... Band of Horses style? Like faster and more crunchy vocals.

If I'm recalling correctly the melody was kinda like:

C--C-AG-E-GE

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Death Dealer posted:

This jogged my memory a bit, and I think you might be looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJJ27NxYamY.

It's not identical to Kashmir, but once the main part of the song starts it's very 111 111 111 etc and it's on the heavier end of Coheed.

:parrot: thanks bro!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hey guys I'm looking for this french punk rockabilly song that's pretty uptempo and the music video is black and white with an old farmer doing some farming stuff. Any ideas?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I heard this at a cafe but couldn't quite get much of it since a crowd of talking people walked right in about halfway through the song.

It had a driving beat, about 140 bpm and I think the lyrics might have been something like, "a hero tries[?] to ? ? ?".
It was probably a 1970's or 80's song -- it had a more upbeat 80's sound, and the station (probably XM or some such) also played "Rich Girl" and "Lyin' Eyes" while I was there.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 25, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kangra posted:

I heard this at a cafe but couldn't quite get much of it since a crowd of talking people walked right in about halfway through the song.

It had a driving beat, about 140 bpm and I think the lyrics might have been something like, "a hero tries[?] to ? ? ?".
It was probably a 1970's or 80's song -- it had a more upbeat 80's sound, and the station (probably XM or some such) also played "Rich Girl" and "Lyin' Eyes" while I was there.

Perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0?

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what song is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBxytkUw7U&t=526s

sounds like the lady is saying:

you can be my knight
you can be my knight
you can be my knight
who's watching over me?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dog Jones posted:

what song is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBxytkUw7U&t=526s

sounds like the lady is saying:

you can be my knight
you can be my knight
you can be my knight
who's watching over me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0pTNhsAck

Go to 2:52

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome, thanks!! I really love any song about knights so I just had to know this track.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No, it was definitely a male singer. It sounded like something that could have been on the Iron Eagle soundtrack (though the song I heard was a bit more gritty than most of those). It may well have been used for a montage at some point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I heard "I don't like Mondays" on the radio yesterday and was reminded of a song that ended with someone saying "the silicon chip inside my head got switched to overload" in a kind of overwrought fashion. I don't think it was a cover version cause I'm pretty sure the lyric was changed from "inside her head" to "inside my head" but I could be wrong about that. Pretty certain it was the last line of the song though, spoken after the music had finished.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Electronic/ambient with Psalm 23:4 ("Yea, though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death...") spoken with a vocoder that sounds similar to the opening of the Disney Main Street Electrical Parade.

I think 80's-early 90's, possibly one of the Dark Side Of The Moog albums but I haven't completed listening to them, but in that style as memory serves.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I swear this is from some Chevy Chase movie and it's killing me:

The only lyrics sound something like "All the way... All the way... All the way", but it's sung pretty deep and sounds vaguely African so it might not even be english. There's a guitar strumming some pretty upbeat chords in sort of a choppy way. From what I remember it's a song that plays after the comes to a realization and makes his peace with something. Wish I could be more specific.

I can hear this poo poo in my head day and night but I can't come up with any way of identifying it other than looking at the soundtracks of various 70s/80s/90s movies that I would have seen on TV as a kid and hoping to find it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, there's this instrumental song that I had on my spotify playlist that I really liked, but I guess deleted at some point? The album art was like a drawing of a spaceship seen from really far away flying through a green enclosed space (I think, something similar to this), the song starts with like a rising 3 note repetition on a synth, and then the drums kick in and then the EXCACT synth instrument from "Concept 15" by Kodomo that kicks in 47 seconds into the track comes in. The song I'm after is really really similar to this track in fact, but having checked out other Komodo stuff I haven't found it. Maybe I've got the album art mixed up with something else, but the fact that it makes the same noises makes me think maybe someone else can put two and two together? Thanks!

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

So, there's this instrumental song that I had on my spotify playlist that I really liked, but I guess deleted at some point? The album art was like a drawing of a spaceship seen from really far away flying through a green enclosed space (I think, something similar to this), the song starts with like a rising 3 note repetition on a synth, and then the drums kick in and then the EXCACT synth instrument from "Concept 15" by Kodomo that kicks in 47 seconds into the track comes in. The song I'm after is really really similar to this track in fact, but having checked out other Komodo stuff I haven't found it. Maybe I've got the album art mixed up with something else, but the fact that it makes the same noises makes me think maybe someone else can put two and two together? Thanks!

Not all the details fit, but the opening of the song you gave as a similar example sounds A LOT like Boards of Canada's ROYBGIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0gRc2c2wQ

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

calicokitty posted:

Not all the details fit, but the opening of the song you gave as a similar example sounds A LOT like Boards of Canada's ROYBGIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0gRc2c2wQ

Man, this is another really super similar song! If I knew what the synth was in Concept 15 by Kodomo (that comes in 47 seconds into the song) I could find out other artists that use it and among them would be the one I'm after, but I don't really know how to go about any of that? Any ideas?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

The only lyrics sound something like "All the way... All the way... All the way", but it's sung pretty deep and sounds vaguely African so it might not even be english. There's a guitar strumming some pretty upbeat chords in sort of a choppy way. From what I remember it's a song that plays after the comes to a realization and makes his peace with something. Wish I could be more specific.

I can hear this poo poo in my head day and night but I can't come up with any way of identifying it other than looking at the soundtracks of various 70s/80s/90s movies that I would have seen on TV as a kid and hoping to find it.

I don't know about the movie, but could the 'all the way' be 'Wimoweh'? That would probably be the Weavers version, since it doesn't have any other words. The later 'Lion Sleeps Tonight' of course has more lyrics. The original 'Mbube' has a few other words, and the original is probably too old for the movie, but there was a version by Ladysmith Black Mambazo that could fit.

Wimoweh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77VUYPVMtWY

Mbube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJF87m4_k88

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I feel like I know the song they mean and can hear it in my head, but don't know who does it. I thought at first it was 'You Can Call Me Al', but I think it's because both songs have flute and Chevy Chase is in the video for that song, and also I think the one I'm thinking of, the singer has a little deeper voice than Paul Simon. Fairly certain it's an 80s song.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking for something obscure again: probably early 80s post-punk/goth, or a very good imitation of the minimalist early 80s vibe. Searching by what little lyrics I remember is pretty useless; the only thing I can remember is that the chorus is simply the line "so, so romantic" repeated a few times, the first repetition being monotonely spoken with no instruments in the background at all. The whole thing doesn't have much melody to it either. I seem to half remember that the last line of each verse is notably shorter than the rest, and that at least one verse ends in "... loving you."

If I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure the word is "romantic", but like 99% and it has the same rhythm.

e: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZhlnrStN4
I'm slightly embarrassed cause it actually did show up in my searches but I just kinda, uh, missed it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 8, 2017

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Rubellavator posted:

I think this is "Send Me on My Way" by Rusted Root. I don't know if it was in any Chevy Chase movies but I could totally see it being in something like Jungle 2 Jungle or Man of the House.

The Human Cow fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 8, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Human Cow posted:

I think this is "Send Me on My Way" by Rusted Root. I don't know if it was in any Chevy Chase movies but I could totally see it being in something like Jungle 2 Jungle or Man of the House.

That's it. I definitely was wrong about whatever movie I thought it was from.

Thank you!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey y'all

Was there a semi-popular screamo/nu-metal song around the turn of the century that toward the end had a bridge where the dude just screams "LIFE'S NOT FAIR" repeatedly?

I have vague memories of it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Real Name Grover posted:

Hey y'all

Was there a semi-popular screamo/nu-metal song around the turn of the century that toward the end had a bridge where the dude just screams "LIFE'S NOT FAIR" repeatedly?

I have vague memories of it.

It's the line before the chorus in She Loves Me Not by Papa Roach, which might be what you're thinking of

actually listening to it again now (it's been like 10 years lol) that line does get repeatedly screamed near the end

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
lol, I figured I wouldn't have to wait long for that, thanks.

Oh, Young RNG, what were you on

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Lyrics go something like, "sun in the air, I answer the call and theres nobody there, oh I wonder, yes I wonder", but possibly misremembered. Definitely some horns playing. I think it was pop rock or maybe new wave and it had a 70s/80s sound to it. Any help?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

Sinding Johansson posted:

Lyrics go something like, "sun in the air, I answer the call and theres nobody there, oh I wonder, yes I wonder", but possibly misremembered. Definitely some horns playing. I think it was pop rock or maybe new wave and it had a 70s/80s sound to it. Any help?

Lyrics match up, I was surprised at the artist, though the music seems like it could fit your description too:

Something's in the air
I answer the phone and there's nobody there
And you're changin' the way
That you're wearin' your hair
And I wonder yes I wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkLMZgEBKE

(It was sampled by Daft Punk for the song "Superheroes" too.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every couple years I try to find this song and I just absolutely never can do so, and it's driving me insane.

Around 2000 (maybe as late as '03) I was driving along and listening to the college radio station, when a song came on that sounded very very much like Tom Waits, but it wasn't Tom Waits. The DJ mis-identified it as Frankie Sparo (which is good because it got me to buy My Red Scare, a great album).

Anyway, it sounded very much like Bone Machine era Waits, the song was mostly just the singer ranting happily along, there were drums and maybe some guitar but the vocals were super prominent. I distinctly remember the lyric "Is she drinking red wine, and having a good time?" I'm stumped entirely.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

precision posted:

Every couple years I try to find this song and I just absolutely never can do so, and it's driving me insane.

Around 2000 (maybe as late as '03) I was driving along and listening to the college radio station, when a song came on that sounded very very much like Tom Waits, but it wasn't Tom Waits. The DJ mis-identified it as Frankie Sparo (which is good because it got me to buy My Red Scare, a great album).

Anyway, it sounded very much like Bone Machine era Waits, the song was mostly just the singer ranting happily along, there were drums and maybe some guitar but the vocals were super prominent. I distinctly remember the lyric "Is she drinking red wine, and having a good time?" I'm stumped entirely.

Mark Lanegan? This is from 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXs_Ntye4XM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Close, but the song I'm thinking of is fast paced and upbeat (like Tom Waits' "carnival music" sound)

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Lyrics match up, I was surprised at the artist, though the music seems like it could fit your description too:

Something's in the air
I answer the phone and there's nobody there
And you're changin' the way
That you're wearin' your hair
And I wonder yes I wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkLMZgEBKE

(It was sampled by Daft Punk for the song "Superheroes" too.)

Haha I can't believe that worked, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Anyone know the loud fast song in this Instagram skateboard clip?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BamzcBUjuDN/?taken-by=villagepsychic