Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

UPDATE 01/08/18: Hackers have created depth 5 chalice dungeons that are accessible after only completing depth 1. This means you can get late game weapons and top-tier runes/gems after only getting the first chalice. God bless you hackers. Can't guarantee which of these glyphs will be open at any given time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/7mslzs/data_mining_mega_thread/

Edmond Dantes posted:

May be a bit cheaty, looks like they're modded dungeons which are listed as depth 1 so you can access them with Root Pthumeru but they're actually depth 5 so they can contain a lot of stuff, like uncanny/lost versions of weapons and the T5 runes:

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSc_-rAA3Jo

I've never regretted not joining the League early until now :(

New to the Souls series? Don't know what a Souls is? DON'T PANIC. Check below for a basic guide on what this game is about.

In addition to the regular version, there is a :siren:Collector's Edition:siren:. It includes a steel game case, digital OST, and an artbook with some concept art. Honestly not that great.

For Europe folks there's a Nightmare Edition that includes a bunch of lovely dollar store knick-knacks. Probably not any of those left at this point, though.

There is a strategy guide available from Future Press, the ones behind the excellent Dark Souls II strategy guide, as well as Souls community celebrities EpicNameBro and A German Spy.

Interested in hearing major spergs devoted fans discuss the game? Then you ought to check out Bonfireside Chat, an excellent podcast on the Souls series. They have a complete series on Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls II, as well as episodes on influences (e.g. Berserk, King's Field 4) and followers (e.g. Lords of the Fallen). They're fantastic to listen to and cool guys. They're also goons.

Want to spoil yourself silly before you play the game? Then you can check out the achievements list here. As far as what they are, they're what you'd expect based on the previous games (e.g. collecting all weapons, for certain bosses, for getting the various endings).

Cool-as-gently caress Screenshots

Trailers

(Trailer theme here).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FOP2oLb31o

DLC trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVnoMSpy4ZY

Souls Guide for Dummies

Completely new to the Souls games? Not even sure what a Souls game is? Then this is the place for you.

What is a Souls game?

The Souls series began with Demon's Souls for the PS3. A dark and foreboding action RPG. What made it a hit were excellent design aesthetics, challenging but rewarding gameplay, and cool online elements promoting you to help (or inhibit) your fellow player. Originally not even slated for a release outside of Japan, it being imported in (relatively) large numbers saw an official localization by Atlus, with the increasing popularity leading to a sequel in Dark Souls, followed by Dark Souls II, and now Bloodborne.

Aren't these game super hard?

Yes. And no. When the difficulty of these games is brought up you often have a number of people who play it up as one of the hardest games ever made, and then another group of people downplaying the difficulty to the point where it's actually as difficult as Cooking Mama. These games are challenging, but 90% of the time they are so in a very fair way.

Do I need to have played Dark Souls/Dark Souls II/Demon's Souls to play this?

Not at all. One of the fantastic things about these games is they're only loosely connected in plot, and so you can start with any of them and do fine, probably. In the case of Bloodborne, this is even more true due to a shifting of focus on a more horror-bent and faster, more visceral combat.

Do you have any tips if I'm just getting started?

I'm gonna be lazy and quote this dude's pretty good+concise post on the subject.

quote:

Important things for new people going into Bloodborne to remember:

What works for someone else might not work for you, so if you keep failing, innovate.

Dying is part of the process but is useless if you don't learn from it. Try to understand why each death was made (just because an enemy killed you doesn't necessarily mean it's the enemy's fault you died.)

There is no wrong way to play so don't let anyone tell you that what you do is wrong or bad.

Pay attention to where you go and what you do.

Don't let a single bad experience (i.e. an early invasion you weren't ready for) ruin a feature for you.

Any amount of progress is always progress. Getting all the way to a boss and dying and having to restart means it will be easier the second time, I promise.

New Mechanics

Origins

Taking the place of classes, Origins are pretty much the exact same thing but with a different coat of paint. Each has its own single line of text as a description and different starting stats. Unlike the previous games this does not influence your starting items. Armor is the same no matter what, and starting weapon is an entirely separate choice. You can see all the information on the Bloodborne wiki, here. Of note is the following original.

Waste of Skin posted:

You are nothing. Talentless. You shouldn't have been born.

Stats

Vitality - governs ones HP
Endurance - governs stamina and various resistances
Strength - necessary to use heavy weapons
Skill - necessary to use dexterous weapons
Bloodtinge - necessary to use more advanced guns and deal more damage with bullets
Arcane - necessary to use arcane weapons and items (essentially the magic equivalent)

Also of note is the new stat Insight. It is similar to Humanity in that it is used to summon other players to your world, but you gain it through a variety of means such as unlocking a new area, using items to enhance your knowledge, or fighting bosses for the first time. Insight can also be used to purchase special equipment.

Trick Weapons

Unlike the previous games which featured around a 100 weapons with only minor differences between weapons of the same class in most cases, Bloodborne features a lower number of weapons overall, but with each weapon being highly unique in its moveset and appearance.

Additionally, nearly every weapon is a trick weapon that features two modes. Generally speaking there is a close range mode featuring high power quick strikes but with little range, and an extended mode with much greater reach, but at the cost of damage. There are some weapons that have their own special effects in place of this transformation mechanic that you may find as you play, however...

One other mechanic worthy of note is Charge Attacks. If you hold down R2 you will be able to perform a Charge Attack that is stronger than a normal attack. Additionally, if you perform a Charge Attack on an enemy from behind, it will go into a prone state, allowing you to approach it and press R1 for a Visceral Attack.

When you create your character you are given a choice of one of three weapons:

Saw Cleaver

The "standard" weapon seen in most pre-release footage. A solid weapon that is easy to use and good in both close range and extended.

Hunter Axe

A heftier weapon than the Saw Cleaver, featuring higher damage and more reach in exchange for more difficulty of use.

Threaded Cane

For the dashing gentleman moonlighting as a slayer of beasts. Can be used as a close range sword, or a versatile whip-sword, but requires skill to wield (literally, as in the stat called Skill).

Guns

In addition to trick weapons, Bloodborne features the inclusion of guns. Not AK-47's and RPG's (we're not getting out Shadow Tower sequel, sadly) but stuff like Blunderbusses and Flintlock Pistols, as well as more esoteric weaponry such as flamethrowers.

For the most part guns are not meant to be your main damage dealer. Instead they are for stunning an enemy, as well as for performing Visceral Attacks. If you shoot an enemy just before it hits you with an attack, it will go into a prone state for a few seconds. While in this state if you approach and press R1, you will perform a Visceral Attack, analogous to a riposte in the previous games.

Now, since guns are for parrying, you may be asking what shields have received to account for this, considering they were the main parrying tools in previous games. Well...

You get one. This one. That's it. Let me just quote its item description for a moment here:

Wooden Shield posted:

A crude weapon shield used by the masses who have
arisen to join the hunt.

Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual
against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be.

Shield are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Which brings me to the next new "mechanic,"

Faster-paced Combat

Unlike previous games which favored tanking with shields and armor, and generally playing defensively and waiting for the right moment to strike back, Bloodborne encourages a much more active style of play. Enemies in groups are far more common, and most enemies can easily do half-to-most of your entire health bar with a single attack, encouraging you to finish off enemies as soon as possibly so you do not become overwhelmed.

To compensate for this more difficulty playstyle, your overall movement speed is much quicker, and when locked on to an enemy you can perform a quick sidestep rather than a roll. There is also the Regain/Rally* system, an alternate means of regaining HP. When you are damaged by an enemy, your health bar will not immediately empty. Instead a portion will turn yellow and slowly empty. If you attack an enemy in this time, you will be able to restore the yellow health to true health. Thus if you are damaged by an enemy, rather than fleeing to use a healing item, you can opt to attack aggressively in order to both damage the enemy and restore your life essence.

*The term the game uses is Rally but Regain was used prior to release so expect to hear both.

Online Elements
Online is similar to the souls games. Messages can be written on the ground and will appear in other players' games, you can summon other players into your game for co-op by ringing a bell, and you can invade the games of other players who have their co-op bell active. There is a password system so you can play with friends (if you put in a password, the game will only match you with people using the same password).

The World

Bloodborne is interesting in that it combines both the Dark Souls and Demon's Souls approaches to world design. Featuring a completely interconnected world that does not require a loading screen once you have started, the game also features a hub area called the Hunter's Dream, a safe haven where you can purchase equipment and consumables, and warp to various lamposts you have activated.

As an aside, despite what most pre-release footage shows, all the areas are not gothic Victorian London. There's a pretty good variety in area design.

Chalice Dungeons

Chalice Dungeons are procedurally-generated dungeons made of prefabricated rooms you can create in the Hunter's Dream. Once you obtain a Holy Chalice (earliest available is for beating the Blood-Starved Beast in Old Yharnam) you can perform a ritual using Ritual Blood to create the dungeon.

Each dungeon is of a certain "depth" (difficulty) and has a certain number of "layers" (floors). Each floor has a boss locked behind a door, and in each floor you must find the switch to open the door.

Chalice Dungeons contain a number of bosses unique to them, as well as a few unique armor sets and alternate versions of the normal weapons that possess different Blood Gem slots.

There are two types of Chalice Dungeons. Developer dungeons which are the same every time, and procedurally generated ones that you can influence by using certain items when creating them which you can obtain within Chalice Dungeons. You can also create a dungeon from a password, and share a dungeon you've created with other people via its password.

Some more info provided by Zaphod42.

Zaphod42 posted:

Chalice Info Dump of poo poo I didn't know that goons may want to know: (maybe put in the OP)

Chalice dungeon unlock flowchart:

Depth refers to difficulty. The first depth is extremely easy, but depth 4 is harder than the end of NG and depth 5 is like NG+

Q: What are Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites?
A: Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites can be applied to Dungeons to increase their difficulty and rewards. Fetid offerings empower creatures that are already in the instance by giving them a damage buff. Rotted offerings introduce new creatures to the dungeon and raise the possibility of traps. Cursed dungeons cut your HP in half while in the Dungeon and all gems that drop will be Cursed gems. Sinister Dungeons allow others to invade your dungeon. Each of these appears to improve the Quality Level and Drop Rate of gems. Until many more dungeons are added to the list or until revealed by an official guide, we will not know all of their benefits. It should be noted that Cursed Gems with the right stat lines are the best gems in the game and can exponentially increase your character’s power.

Q: What types of gems drop in the different Dungeons?
Pthumeru - Radial Gems
Loran - Crescent Gems
Isz - Triangle Gems

Once you have made a chalice type once, you can enter other people's chalices of the same type without having to spend resource materials.

Chalice difficulty is not changed by going from NG to NG+, it is independent and based on depth and the rites performed.

In theory you can co-op or invade in chalices if you're in the same exact chalice, although it seems there are fewer people available right now than the normal game and so it is even harder to find co-op help or people to invade.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I parry/backstab?
Visceral Attacks (known in previous games as critical attacks) can be performed after "staggering" an opponent. This is done either by shooting them with a gun just before they attack, or performing a charged r2 when facing their back. If you perform it successfully you will hear a "whoosh" and will be able to press R1 for a Visceral Attack. Be quick, as the enemy will only be staggered for a second or so.

Why do I do a regular R1 when trying to do a Visceral Attack?
Most likely you were not in the Visceral Attack "box." If you're too far to the side, or more likely, at too high/low of an elevation then it can fail.

How do I invade/do co-op?
Once you get some insight, a secondary shop in the dream opens up where you can purchase items to let you invade and do co-op.

Where do I go after X?
Cleric Beast; explore Yharnam more to find the sewers.
Blood-Starved Beast; Old Yharnam is entirely optional. Purchase the crest for 10k from the shop in Hunter's Dream, and use it to open a gate in the Cathedral Ward.
Vicar Amelia; facing the chapel entrance, you can head left for a forest area. This area is optional, but unlocks the ability to equip runes (ring equivalent). For progress, you want to find a locked door requiring a password in the Cathedral Ward.
Stuck in Byrgenwerth; jump into the moon in the lake.

Who can I send Oedon Chapel/Iosefka's?
An old lady in a house on the way to the sewers in Yharnam.
Gascoigne's daughter, if you do not pick up the Red Jeweled Broach in his boss arena.
Arianna, a prostitute in the foggy alley in the Cathedral Ward.
A man who calls you a liar, in the house opposite Arianna. He will go the opposite of where you tell him about.
Adella, a nun. She will speak to you if you are wearing the Black Church set and is located in Yahar'Gul. Die to one of the sack-carrying NPCs that appears after killing the Blood-Starved Beast. This must be done before killing Rom.
Cannibal in the Forbidden Woods. He will kill other NPCs if you send him to the Church.

Everyone in a house has been replaced with the same dashing man, what gives?
After you unlock the password door in the Cathedral Ward, he appears at every house in the game. Just talk to him then warp to and from Hunter's Dream, and he'll be gone.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Re-posting that for the first time I got a character to a Depth 5 F/R/C root chalice and JESUS CHRIST THE GEMS! Maybe I got lucky with my very first root chalice, but the very first room of the very first layer has 12 Celestial Emissaries and an enemy hunter, which nets me about 150k echoes and usually 3-4 cursed gems in less than 5 minutes, and the gems are completely bunkers (on my first visit, I got one with +23% physical attack and + 14 Bolt attack, but -63 durability, which is insanely annoying on a Chikage).

Are the "levels" of the curse and the boosts directly related? I found a cursed gem with a super smooth curse, like +2% stamina spent, but with only +11% physical attack. Is it possible to find a better gem with the same curse, like +28% physical but only +2% stamina use, or would that kind of gem have a proportionate curse?

I also finally got the third ending (I'd never gotten the "Wake up" ending in any of my previous characters). Only 1 achievement left!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

buddy crow of cainhurst just makes it sound like you're calling him a friend but budded crow of cainhurst doesn't rhyme

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

Are the "levels" of the curse and the boosts directly related? I found a cursed gem with a super smooth curse, like +2% stamina spent, but with only +11% physical attack. Is it possible to find a better gem with the same curse, like +28% physical but only +2% stamina use, or would that kind of gem have a proportionate curse?

Yeah the negatives on the best gems are always going to be about the same, so you get lucky with cursed gems by getting the ones that have a good curse on them (stamina costs being the best) on top of whatever effect you want, which is a combo you won't find on many of them. Keep +% stamina cost and -% damage to beasts/kin, sell health drain and -% damage without a second thought, -durability is up to you. Most weapons can take a single -durability gem without becoming unusable but you will have to go back to the dream after every layer to fix them which is annoying, and two of those gems will ruin them

After work today I'm gonna run that isz glyph codfish posted

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Digirat posted:

Yeah the negatives on the best gems are always going to be about the same, so you get lucky with cursed gems by getting the ones that have a good curse on them (stamina costs being the best) on top of whatever effect you want, which is a combo you won't find on many of them. Keep +% stamina cost and -% damage to beasts/kin, sell health drain and -% damage without a second thought, -durability is up to you. Most weapons can take a single -durability gem without becoming unusable but you will have to go back to the dream after every layer to fix them which is annoying, and two of those gems will ruin them

Having one -durability gem is usually fine, just don't put any on a Tonitrus.

I think the worst that +%stamina cost get is 5%, and it's still not noticeable.

A +elemental damage secondary effect might turn a convertible weapon completely elemental and obviate the point of +%physical, so pay attention to the actual numbers on the left when using something like that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

buddy crow of cainhurst just makes it sound like you're calling him a friend but budded crow of cainhurst doesn't rhyme

sticky crow of cainhurst

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well now it just sounds dirty

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Having one -durability gem is usually fine, just don't put any on a Tonitrus.

I think the worst that +%stamina cost get is 5%, and it's still not noticeable.

A +elemental damage secondary effect might turn a convertible weapon completely elemental and obviate the point of +%physical, so pay attention to the actual numbers on the left when using something like that.

+%stamina gems are usually the "best" bad effect on weapons like the cleaver or cane since an extra 5% is nothing for a single swing. I never tried slapping one on a higher stamina usage weapon like the Kirkhammer.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm going to pretend the original thread is now an abandoned Hunter's Dream after it caught on fire.

Also, I want to go looking for some especially nasty FRC chalice dungeons, for some reason.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol the other thread's last page is broken again, rip my post

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yep, I think it is better to just grab the OP's info and put it into this one. At least until someone breaks this one too!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok I will copy the other thread's info here when I'm not at work

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
We are born of the thread, made men by the thread, undone by the thread. Fear the old Thread.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

We are born of the thread, made men by the thread, undone by the thread. Fear the old Thread.

:golfclap:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

sticky crow of cainhurst

bloody crunk of cainhurst

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Managed to kill Bloody Crow in one attempt last night, found out that along with Poison Knives, if you've got a build with a good ARC score, that the Tiny Tonritus messes him up pretty well while he's on the stairs(since he moves in a predictable pattern while on them), my current build has 31 points in ARC and it was doing just under 600 damage a blast on him

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pursue the posts of goons, to embolden your sickly spirit

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I finally know what you guys are talking about when you say hot dog. Yikes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

the truth posted:

I finally know what you guys are talking about when you say hot dog. Yikes.

Assuming you're fighting Hot Dog in the defiled chalice, the best way to fight him is to just hang far back and run more than actually dodge. Stand back, and bait out his bite attack - run in far to the side so he has no chance of hitting you, then smack his back leg(s) a few times, then back off and repeat. It sucks, but trying to be more aggressive will probably just get you killed.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Being aggressive (my style) has definitely got me killed a few times.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah, you just straight-up can't be aggressive against him. You need to just hang back and be super defensive, or he'll wipe the floor with you. When you ARE defensive though, you'll find he's really not bad. Once I sort of got the hang of being defensive against him, I find I usually win in 1-2 tries. I even loving beat him while playing on a vita using remote play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Break the goddam dogs legs

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I've played through twice with a SKL build using the cane/BoM/rakuyo and then once with an ARC build spamming tools + stake driver/whirligig, any suggestions on a build I could play next that would be completely different to anything I've tried so far?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yall have no idea how tempted I was to troll Games with the [PS4 | PC] tag

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of brainsuckers in the old thread, why do people find them so difficult or threatening? Are they harder with slower weapons? I've always found them super easy. The grab sucks, but it doesn't do much damage, and the insight drain is usually appreciated more than feared.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of brainsuckers in the old thread, why do people find them so difficult or threatening? Are they harder with slower weapons? I've always found them super easy. The grab sucks, but it doesn't do much damage, and the insight drain is usually appreciated more than feared.

I think it's mostly people having a laugh. Brainsucker fights tend to be either five seconds of you beating the poo poo out of a brainsucker, or a minute or two of getting stunned, getting grabbed, dodging away to heal, getting stunned while popping a blood vial, getting grabbed...they're just annoying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The only place they aren't a joke to fight is in Upper Cathedral Ward, mostly because they are like 10 times more aggressive than they are anywhere else in the game, especially with their magic, and are also a lot more durable than normal

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's mostly that loving balcony with the two basically next to each other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

It's mostly that loving balcony with the two basically next to each other.

Also the one next to the ladder leading to them, if mostly because you have to get into melee range to fight that one, while pretty much all of the other ones you can play the range game with if you have the right build

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That was a joke. The thing can be killed in half a stamina bar with a bolt weapon (in fact it is the fastest way to get bloodstone chunks if you find a super fast floor layout).

So when you said these candles didn't teleport you anywhere in your dungeon I thought you meant they just sent you to the same room or something (I once ran into some candles at the top of a staircase that just teleported me to the bottom of that staircase). Instead they're so broken they don't even try more than once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvk0JyIJ88

While I'm disappointed in these candles, I do find it completely in the spirit of the candles to do this

I also enjoyed the non joke candles that dump you right in the middle of the room with four beasts and four brainsuckers. Glyph was du4whqag for anyone who wants to see this goofy dungeon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So I finally gave the boom hammer another chance on my 99 arcane character to see if it's any better with that much arcane and some of the best gems. I still think it's pretty flawed but it's better than I gave it credit for. Also it turns out that its charge attack being an AOE has some fun side effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brRXO7SHQE

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Yall have no idea how tempted I was to troll Games with the [PS4 | PC] tag

As someone that bought a PS4 just for BB (but ended loving the console), DO IT!

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Digirat posted:

So I finally gave the boom hammer another chance on my 99 arcane character to see if it's any better with that much arcane and some of the best gems. I still think it's pretty flawed but it's better than I gave it credit for. Also it turns out that its charge attack being an AOE has some fun side effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brRXO7SHQE

I've used boom hammer full time on my arcane character, it just charges so fast!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Where's a good place to farm Chunks? I'm trying to get both of my primary weapons to +9 and I need like 13 more to do the deed. Is there a good Chalice for it, or is it better to try and grind some regular enemies?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I'm also glad I got a PS4 for Bloodborne because my computer isn't fancy enough for modern games and the PS4 runs things very nicely. I was probably a third of the way through DS3 on PC and ended up getting it again on PS4 because it looked and ran so much better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Where's a good place to farm Chunks? I'm trying to get both of my primary weapons to +9 and I need like 13 more to do the deed. Is there a good Chalice for it, or is it better to try and grind some regular enemies?

Best place I found is upper cathedral ward, where the werewolves are. If you unlocked the front door, run between them to the right passage and you'll end in a narrow corridor they can't enter. Use a long weapon and kill them safely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brainsuckers are easy 95% of the time but sometimes you'll be having a bad day and lose 25 insight getting through the upper cathedral ward.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As I said, if you unlock the front door, you don't have to fight a single brainsucker for farming chunks. Just go the front door and you'll see four wolves, run past them to the right (not upstairs) and just go a little into the narrow corridor, they'll follow but you will be safe.

Edit: Added video to show the exact location
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znP7Li-3AY4

Also don't bother putting a lot of item discovery. I've tested with max (including cauliflower head) on 40 runs, then without in 40 runs and only got two more chunks with max discovery. I rather use whatever to make the farming faster/safer.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 7, 2017

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Time_pants posted:

Nightmare of mensis has about 20 chunks just lying around. If you've already cleared that then you can farm certain chalice bosses or the werewolves in upper cathedral ward but honestly the fastest way to get them is to just start NG+, run to the mandatory bosses and grab all the ones in yar'hagul and nightmare of mensis again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guillermus posted:

As I said, if you unlock the front door, you don't have to fight a single brainsucker for farming chunks. Just go the front door and you'll see four wolves, run past them to the right (not upstairs) and just go a little into the narrow corridor, they'll follow but you will be safe.

I was responding to the general brainsucker discussion, not saying they made chunk farming too difficult.