Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

IT is a great book but its nearly impossible to go a page without King putting some
(more like old)
aside in
(punctuationless)
parentheses. He really loves to use
(cocaine)
those.

I would loving love to hear King deliver Detta's dialogue. Probably over headphones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bean_shadow posted:

Stephen King’s Jim Crow voice appears A LOT in his books and they are all cringe inducing.

I too am re-reading IT.

To be fair to the man while he's a fairly liberally minded white guy he's old as gently caress and born/lived in MAINE. Every loving black influence in his life has probably come from Southern Lit or Blaxploitation films. It's questionable but goddamn I don't think the guy's jonesing for loving segregation or anything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

The mobile machine is kept so clean
as it tweets to a waiting world

And the iPhone toots
And the captain shoots
With the body cam telling the how's and why's

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
"There are more black bears in Maine then black people"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Speaking about Stephen King - I liked Rose Red, and the Prequel movie "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer". Ellen was a cool character, and her BFF Sukeena was one of the least cringeworthy black characters he wrote because she just spoke with a soft afrikaans cadence. She was a midwife for Ellen when she was giving birth on an expedition in Africa, and they became best friends and Sukeena came back to England to help Ellen plan the titular house. While considered by many to be a servant due to the time period, Ellen considered her to be a friend, and eventually referred to her as her sister.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh my.

The reviews of the IT audiobook complain about the narrator's odd cadence and chapters abruptly starting and stopping in mid sentence. I'm pretty sure that's the way the book was written towards the later chapters.

The Stand has a terrible reader. He pronounces a lot of words oddly wrong, and some of his voices are just embarrassing. And yes, the gaps are weird.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Choco1980 posted:

The Stand has a terrible reader. He pronounces a lot of words oddly wrong, and some of his voices are just embarrassing. And yes, the gaps are weird.

loving american audiobooks calling solder "sodder" makes me want to die

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

"There are more black bears in Maine then black people"

There are probably more black bears in maine than white people. Ok that's not true probably but it's possibly close.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are probably more black bears in maine than white people. Ok that's not true probably but it's possibly close.

african american bears, thanks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

african american bears, thanks.

It was such a great success with Africanised honey bees. Are we now going to see bears releasing pheromones when threatened and causing every bear in a 5 mile radius to swarm?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was such a great success with Africanised honey bees. Are we now going to see bears releasing pheromones when threatened and causing every bear in a 5 mile radius to swarm?

shh don't talk like that it's illegal now

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I wonder if Maine's youth still try to steal the bat ornaments from King's fence.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I was listening to an audiobook some time ago and the adult male reader tried to do a "10 year old girl" voice and I literally couldn't finish it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Foxhound posted:

I was listening to an audiobook some time ago and the adult male reader tried to do a "10 year old girl" voice and I literally couldn't finish it.

Anytime a audibook narrator tries to do a voice for a character the opposite sex of them is almost always hillariously bad, especially if the character has some sort of accent or speech quirk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
King's 11-22-63 audiobook had an alright reader, until he had to do the lady voices and then it sounded worse than a guy in a dress pretending to be a woman. And then the sex scenes started and I had to just skip ahead 2 or 3 minutes. I probably missed something important about Kennedy.

There are plenty of narrators who can do a lady voice. Usually it involves not actually trying to make yourself sound like a lady, because that never works - unless you're David Sedaris.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Anytime a audibook narrator tries to do a voice for a character the opposite sex of them is almost always hillariously bad, especially if the character has some sort of accent or speech quirk.

I quite like in the Wheel of Time audiobooks when the guy reader does a female speaking a male character's chapter. It is kinda silly, but you quickly don't worry about it because both the male and female voices are very good throughout. I prefer the entire chapters being either male or female depending on the POV over 2 people switching off during conversations.

I can settle the alcohol driving argument. If I'm drinking water, soda, juice, etc. and driving am I drink-driving? If No, then what makes it drink-driving? Drinking alcohol specifically. What is it called when you have alcohol and are impaired? Drunk or Drink?

Drink-driving must mean Drunk-driving in this context. If we agree about that then it doesn't matter what it's called. Jesus, I can't look at the word drink anymore.

There was a fairly recent SVU episode about how rappers/promoters hire trans-women to come to clubs and one of the rappers about to make his debut falls in love with one of these women, but his record producer boss doesn't want that kind if image on his new talent, so he has his henchman loving track her down in a bathroom and rape her with a metal pipe. She ends up dying but the episode makes it seem like you should feel bad for the rapper who is torn between his love of this woman and his manly image. He kills the henchman, but won't admit he did it over love, and takes a worse prison sentence. And the producer/boss gets off the best overall because the rapper going to prison makes his album sell like crazy and the episode ends. It made me physically ill. Twitter was a big part of the episode as it confirmed alibi's and caught people lying. I used to imagine that twitter/facebook things will eventually not age well, but at this point I'm not sure. Shows that used to make fake versions like "FriendSpace" or "ChatBook" now just use the real names because they're so integrated into culture. Makes me wonder if they are here to stay. Anyone else notice that the fake versions don't show up as much or am I way off on that?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah they used to use fakenames, but now they just don't bother and say it's facebook or whatever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think you're right for lesser skilled narrators, but for the Game of Thrones audiobooks narrator Roy Dotrice does an excellent job voicing Arya and other female characters. Although to be fair he isn't trying to use a falsetto.

But yeah, when an audiobook narrator makes a poor decision for a major character it can sink the whole project. I listened to The Library at Mount Char, which has Carolyn as the main character, which paired with a female narrator should be no problem, right? Except she gave Carolyn, who is supposed to a brilliant tactician who can speak any language, an irritating valley girl voice that either made her sound condescending or clueless.

And let's not get into Wil Wheaton narrating all of Ready Player One. The man cannot do even one voice, let alone a whole book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

wait what the gently caress how do you Brits(?) pronounce solder

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Seek help immediately if pronunciation variability makes you suicidal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Bloop posted:

James Bond made more sense after learning he was calling Judi Dench “ma’am”, not “mum”

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"solder"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
http://nedroid.com/2011/08/pronunciation-station/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I did but they kept wanting to “institutionalise” me so I had to kill them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I did but they kept wanting to “institutionalise” me so I had to kill them.

idgi is this another brit triggering yankism or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

James Bond made more sense after learning he was calling Judi Dench “ma’am”, not “mum”

She basically is his tutting mother, though. Especially in Skyfall.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
:thejoke:

I figured I was 10% to get a real answer and 90% to get "solder".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:thejoke:

I figured I was 10% to get a real answer and 90% to get "solder".

Real, not funny, answer: 'sole-dur'

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got sod but I'm not a sodder...

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"sword"

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The rare chance you can feel like maybe you pronounce something right as an American
http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=solder

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are plenty of narrators who can do a lady voice. Usually it involves not actually trying to make yourself sound like a lady, because that never works - unless you're David Sedaris.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DUdpmgmz4

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Inescapable Duck posted:

She basically is his tutting mother, though. Especially in Skyfall.

It wasn't until about halfway through that movie that I realized that he was saying "ma'am" and not just being a cheeky, sarcastic rear end-hat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think you're right for lesser skilled narrators, but for the Game of Thrones audiobooks narrator Roy Dotrice does an excellent job voicing Arya and other female characters. Although to be fair he isn't trying to use a falsetto.

But yeah, when an audiobook narrator makes a poor decision for a major character it can sink the whole project. I listened to The Library at Mount Char, which has Carolyn as the main character, which paired with a female narrator should be no problem, right? Except she gave Carolyn, who is supposed to a brilliant tactician who can speak any language, an irritating valley girl voice that either made her sound condescending or clueless.

And let's not get into Wil Wheaton narrating all of Ready Player One. The man cannot do even one voice, let alone a whole book.

Stephen Fry does an amazing job on the Harry Potter books, even going as far to make the kids sound older as the books go on. Dotrice was good on the GoT books early on, but you can tell as the series went on he lost his enthusiasm. I mean, in one of them, at one point he pronounces "Brienne" three different ways in one paragraph.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Stephen Fry does an amazing job on the Harry Potter books, even going as far to make the kids sound older as the books go on. Dotrice was good on the GoT books early on, but you can tell as the series went on he lost his enthusiasm. I mean, in one of them, at one point he pronounces "Brienne" three different ways in one paragraph.

I think Dotrice got very sick and had to take a book off, and just couldn't regain his groove :(

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Adimeadozen posted:

The rare chance you can feel like maybe you pronounce something right as an American
http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=solder

The british lose all rights to claim they pronounce things correctly when they pronounce lieutenant as "leftenant".

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The british lose all rights to claim they pronounce things correctly when they pronounce lieutenant as "leftenant".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's a silly thing to call it.

It's drunk driving. You're driving while drunk.

You're not driving while drink, that doesn't make any sense.

It's a legal term. As in that's the name of the offence of driving under the influence of alcohol in the statute.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

sol-der

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Makes sense though when you consider you're otherwise referring to someone as a poo poo/toilet tenant.