Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mister Fister posted:

Holy poo poo, got another solo chicken dinner today. Found like 4 blue jellies... i think there may be a correlation here.

The hell is a blue jelly? The shields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

teagone posted:

The hell is a blue jelly? The shields?

That's what people are calling it on twitch i dunno just stuck with me, but yeah

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I've been calling em blue pots but I like blue jellies more

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
why not just call it a shield potion

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zeldadude posted:

why not just call it a shield potion

Gaming communities never call poo poo what just makes sense. I will continue to call them shield potions.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Hey guys, I am not a frequent poster on these forums, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

I admit that I was initially not interested in Fortnite as it is not my style of game. However, I heard about the free-to-play battle royale mode, so I decided last week to go ahead and download it to give it a try. I have not been able to even login , and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I am playing it on the PS4. I launch it, get to the blue screen with the name of the game and the press X to continue. I do so, it says it is Logging in and doing various things. Checking system privileges, downloading profile, checking third party something or other, etc. It either says there is an unexpected error when connecting to the Playstation Network or that it is unable to connect to Fortnite severs. Sometimes a separate popup appears that says it failed to connect to servers. I keep trying to login, and it keeps on failing. I tried looking around the internet, but couldn't find much other than some maintenance that has already concluded.

Am I doing something wrong? I have been trying for at least 5 hours now, spread out over the past week. Any information would be appreciated. I just want to try the drat thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did you verify your email address? If you don't, it stops you from logging in. And they weren't smart enough to put "verify your email" in the subject line of the email.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

As far as I know. I played a bit in the beta for Paragon months ago, so I have had an account with them linked to my PS4 for a while.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

That's what people are calling it on twitch i dunno just stuck with me, but yeah

Ahh, lol. As an aside, just won my first duo with my bro, he died with 3 other duos left, I took out the last two duos. My heart was racing like a mother fucker. By the end of the match I had ~500 AR rounds stocked and made a sprint to a supply drop where one squad was also headed. They didn't see me coming directly towards them, so I managed to down one with my purp auto sniper, then both of them took cover behind a tree and I just mowed them down holding mouse 1 on my blue AR-15, blowing away their cover. I took out the last squad in similar fashion, except I had to run up a hill and used grenades to blow up their fort. I was lightheaded after the whole thing lmao.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Kelp Plankton posted:

it should be 'Royale With Cheese'

Genuinely, if they had given it some super whacky gimmick name people would be saying that.

It's why people keep saying 'chicken dinner' even though it's not actually pubg

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
[quote="“teagone”" post="“477104266”"]
Ahh, lol. As an aside, just won my first duo with my bro, he died with 3 other duos left, I took out the last two duos. My heart was racing like a mother fucker. By the end of the match I had ~500 AR rounds stocked and made a sprint to a supply drop where one squad was also headed. They didn’t see me coming directly towards them, so I managed to down one with my purp auto sniper, then both of them took cover behind a tree and I just mowed them down holding mouse 1 on my blue AR-15, blowing away their cover. I took out the last squad in similar fashion, except I had to run up a hill and used grenades to blow up their fort. I was lightheaded after the whole thing lmao.
[/quote]

I made it to 2nd place yesterday and yeah, my heart was pounding. Super exciting end game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

I made it to 2nd place yesterday and yeah, my heart was pounding. Super exciting end game.

Yeah, no other kind of game has that intense of an effect on me except fighting games. This is my first entry into the BR genre and I'm loving it. Totally understand how people find this kind of gameplay addicting now, haha.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
So how is the new Horde mode?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm enjoying it so far. The round you just get 5 billion takers are annoying (but also kind of funny sometimes), but this is made up for by the rounds where you get 5 billion exploders.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not entirely clear on how the new Horde mode works, I logged in briefly last night and saw there's a new research tree dedicated to it?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

explosivo posted:

I'm not entirely clear on how the new Horde mode works, I logged in briefly last night and saw there's a new research tree dedicated to it?

Its pretty much a storm shield defense mission. You build a section of base using a predefined set of materials to defend your little box thing. The you join a mission which adds three other players bases into the game and zombies come at you in waves. The skill tree upgrades the amount and type of materials you get.

Some annoying things I've noticed so far:
You have to do the early easy missions first so if you're a high level you won't get materials for your better weapons. The starting assault rifle works fine though.

Each mission gives you your set of materials back but any upgrades you do to your base (traps, new walls, etc) aren't carried over. You have to go back to the home base area to do permanent changes.

Don't use all of your wood on your base, you'll need it for ammo. You can't harvest resources from the map so if you're out you're out.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bertilak posted:

As far as I know. I played a bit in the beta for Paragon months ago, so I have had an account with them linked to my PS4 for a while.

If you logged into paragon before you create an epic games account on their website there is a whole nightmare of bullshit you have to do to straighten out your PSN account being linked to your epic games account before you can play fortnite. It involves contacting customer service.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Great Beer posted:

Its pretty much a storm shield defense mission. You build a section of base using a predefined set of materials to defend your little box thing. The you join a mission which adds three other players bases into the game and zombies come at you in waves. The skill tree upgrades the amount and type of materials you get.

Some annoying things I've noticed so far:
You have to do the early easy missions first so if you're a high level you won't get materials for your better weapons. The starting assault rifle works fine though.

Each mission gives you your set of materials back but any upgrades you do to your base (traps, new walls, etc) aren't carried over. You have to go back to the home base area to do permanent changes.

Don't use all of your wood on your base, you'll need it for ammo. You can't harvest resources from the map so if you're out you're out.

In the mission (combat) part, the supply drop gadget DOES work though, and while I've always thought the quantities it gave were uselessly low, at early levels of Horde Bash it's kinda useful, actually.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played it.

You build a small base in some sort of instance.

Exit the instance.

Then you go to the real game that is has follows:

- Every small base spawns in the map somewhere. Hordes attack in waves one base, everyone go to that base to defend it.

A way to describe it is kind of "shield defense ... multiplayer". If thats makes sense.

The waves are super weird, the levels, the levelling, how it mess with the game.

It don't make much sense to get a tech tree for it, if is really a temporal thing to the game (why level up something inside a event?) but here we are.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 6, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just started playing this last night. I'm enjoying it, mostly, but uh...

Is there an easier way to get ammo? I feel like I'm having to go try to farm mats to make ammo every couple of missions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dexie posted:

Is there an easier way to get ammo? I feel like I'm having to go try to farm mats to make ammo every couple of missions.

The game is build around scarcity, so theres no a real answer, but if you target small electronics and machines that break in nuts and bolts, you will have some basic ammo.

Also learn to love weapons with low rof.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dexie posted:

At the start of the game youll have to do this for like bolts but the more you play youll get all your ammo maxed out and have so many bolts youll hardly have to think about it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Dexie posted:

Keep an eye out for rusted coffee cans (you can find these easily by circling the edge of the map. look behind large rock formations) and ammo boxes. The coffee cans will give 3-10 nuts and bolts each and the ammo boxes give... well ammo. The yellow coffee cans in survivor shacks can be looted for a few nuts and bolts as well. Cars are a terrible way to farm nuts and bolts because they take too long. Air conditioners work. If you find a laundromat in a city they can have like 30 washing machines that will give you materials.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can/should we have separate threads for PvE and PvP? Are you guys playing both?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Keep an eye out for rusted coffee cans (you can find these easily by circling the edge of the map. look behind large rock formations) and ammo boxes. The coffee cans will give 3-10 nuts and bolts each and the ammo boxes give... well ammo. The yellow coffee cans in survivor shacks can be looted for a few nuts and bolts as well. Cars are a terrible way to farm nuts and bolts because they take too long. Air conditioners work. If you find a laundromat in a city they can have like 30 washing machines that will give you materials.

I find the best thing for nuts and bolts are parking meters, super fast harvest and they are all over city maps.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

It don't make much sense to get a tech tree for it, if is really a temporal thing to the game (why level up something inside a event?) but here we are.

Is it a per match tech tree, or does it persist for the event?

If the first, then it's like a moba build.

If the second, I think we can assume it may become a permanent game type eventually, and it's like Titanfall 2's Aegis Ranks.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Coffee cans and ammo boxes are the chump way to get ammo/nuts and bolts. Just break every small and medium transformer (2-4ish plus mech parts, takes 2 hits), switchbox (2-4ish plus mech parts, takes 2 hits) parking meter (1-3ish, but break in one hit) you see, and use all of the chain spools (5-10ish) and metal bar piles (5-20ish plus some mech parts depending on size) you see in industrial parks. The big transformers, heavy machinery, and antennas of various sizes are a bit better than cars too I think, and give you regular metal more like cars. You can get several stacks of nuts/bolts per industrial park map without touching cars if no one else takes them. You'll be swimming in them if you prioritize correctly.

Computers are also pretty good if you get in one of the bunkers where there's a lot of them, plus they're good mechanical parts you need for guns, but those tend to be a bit more out of the way.

I got about 65 nuts/bolts in the 5ish minutes it took me to make these graphics.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 6, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
If anyone wants to play some battle royal i'll be on tonight on the discord server!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Edit: sorry for double post

Might as well post this because it's hilarious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/74nc4u/protip_if_you_down_someone_and_want_to_lure_some/

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 6, 2017

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Dexie posted:

Kylra's advice so far is the best. Electrical equipment is the best source of nuts and bolts. Secondly, once you get to the second world map, start doing map encounters that have metal as the reward. Those drop a good number of nuts and bolts, but it's scaled to the difficulty of the zone so they're not great early on.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I find encampments and anomalies take too long for the payout unless you're desperate or it's a non-large encampment and you have airstrike up. Sometimes survivors will give you a bunch of nuts and bolts too, but you can't see the reward type beforehand unlike anomalies and encampments.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 6, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

That's amazing

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, sometimes the red toolboxes have rotating gizmos or active powercells that you need for rare or higher weapons. Often enough that I'll usually open them as I walk by and then break them for mechanical parts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've done this to myself when I ended up in the middle of the circle. No one suspects someone to be under that roof on the ground. I still ended up losing, but it was fun hearing people fight around and run past me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tei posted:

The game is build around scarcity, so theres no a real answer, but if you target small electronics and machines that break in nuts and bolts, you will have some basic ammo.

Also learn to love weapons with low rof.

Do expeditions too. Having a few bring you dozens of nuts and bolts and other items is always nice if you can spare the heroes (and people resource) for them.

Parking meters are also fantastic for getting a lot of parts/bolts in a short period of time. Run down one side of the road smashing them then come back up the other side.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Sammus posted:

If you logged into paragon before you create an epic games account on their website there is a whole nightmare of bullshit you have to do to straighten out your PSN account being linked to your epic games account before you can play fortnite. It involves contacting customer service.

Thank you. I will get into contact with customer service then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

New Battle Royale updates imminent:

quote:

Fortnite Fans,

We will be pushing a Battle Royal specific update within the hour aimed at adjusting weapon balance. There will be no downtime. Players will not need to update their client.

See you in-game!

Battle Royale Update - Oct 6th

Increased Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle damage by 50%.
This weapon was often passed up because of its lower damage. This increase will put it closer in line with its intended effectiveness.

Decreased Scoped Assault Rifle damage by 33%.
This weapon was too effective at its current role and needed to be scaled back slightly.

Decreased Grenade, Grenade Launcher, and Rocket Launcher environmental damage to 375 (was 450).
Metal forts will now require two explosive blasts (instead of one). Late-game bases are too easily destroyed and we want to promote building diversity.

Increased Rocket Launcher reload time by 20%.
It's a little too easy to spam rockets. We want the Rocket Launcher to be a powerful weapon, but it's a little too good right now.

Increased Submachine Gun damage by 10%.
The Submachine Gun is underperforming at close to medium range combat. This damage increase will improve its effectiveness slightly. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/news/announcements/77314-battle-royale-update-oct-6

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Those all sound pretty good.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Those all sound pretty good.

Ya. They are all great to me as well. The semi-auto sniper was complete garbage and I only ever picked one up if I didn't have a scoped weapon.

The rocket changes make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Was perusing the ForniteBR subreddit and found some hilarious game ending frags:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv-i91yGX7M

This one's like straight out of an action movie lmao https://streamable.com/ke0kv

• Locked thread