Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I love how upset Tahani was that she died in Cleveland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Senor Tron posted:

Interesting how Mindy seems to have not changed in all that time. Also given that the 30 years Mindy had been in the Medium Place in the first season corresponded with her dying in the 1980s I wonder if that means on Earth it is now the late 23rd century.

We don't really know if time in the Good/Bad Place moves at the same rate as Earth time. The writers can handle it either way just depending on what they want to do when or if they check back in on earth again.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what is it about cleveland that makes tv shows take a stab at it? First Blood Drive, now the Good Place. It can't be that bad, can it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

double nine posted:

what is it about cleveland that makes tv shows take a stab at it? First Blood Drive, now the Good Place. It can't be that bad, can it?
Everyone wants to live in the Cleve, as 30 Rock established, and sometimes people get jealous.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

double nine posted:

One of Mike Schur's good friends is long-suffering Cleveland fan and sportswriter Joe Posnanski. Remember when they showed how many points different actions earned you? "Remain loyal to the Cleveland Browns" was on there for that reason.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Now that I've slept on it there are a ton of questions from this episode.

Why can the team even go to the medium place? If they have no such ability to go to the good place, why even have the option of escape?

What happens the first time someone discovers the team has memories? Moreover what happens when Mindy goes off the rails about how successful her single attempt is and tries to usurp Michael?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ernie. posted:

Now that I've slept on it there are a ton of questions from this episode.

Why can the team even go to the medium place? If they have no such ability to go to the good place, why even have the option of escape?

It might not be that they are prevented from going to the Good Place so much as that they would just get stopped at the station and can't get in. Because they aren't qualified.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The way this show is burning through plots, I expected Vicky to walk in during their team cheer.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I kind of felt bad for Tahani after seeing how she died. I mean, she wasn't a great person but goddamn, that's some cold poo poo from her sister. "You're not the greatest person alive like I am, so you're nothing" is pretty mean. Even her flashbacks to her as a kid from the first season were pretty drat depressing.

And Micheal is definitely going to gently caress them over, no way does he think he can get into the Good Place. He's just trying to buy time until he can get control back.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

seaborgium posted:

I kind of felt bad for Tahani after seeing how she died. I mean, she wasn't a great person but goddamn, that's some cold poo poo from her sister. "You're not the greatest person alive like I am, so you're nothing" is pretty mean. Even her flashbacks to her as a kid from the first season were pretty drat depressing.

I'm thinking Tahani's sister ended up in the Bad Place too, just the normal Bad Place with the water that turns to spiders in your mouth.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The next reveal is that they've been in the good place the entire time and this has actually all just been an extremely complicated way to get them to improve themselves. The resets weren't because of failure, they're trying to get them to the point where they're intrinsically good from the start.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The twist is that they're in the Average Place, which is completely different than the Medium Place.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, Tahani's realization that she was actually a pretty bad person was kind of great. Especially the way it takes a while to sink in and just completely bounces off her at first.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I keep thinking the Tahani stuff is going to be worse. I was sure Michael was going to say she took out some people with her with that statue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a big fan of Jason and Manny Jacinto plays him so well. Really great character.

"I met this guy at the gun range in the Jacksonville bus station."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bobby Digital posted:

One of Mike Schur's good friends is long-suffering Cleveland fan and sportswriter Joe Posnanski. Remember when they showed how many points different actions earned you? "Remain loyal to the Cleveland Browns" was on there for that reason.

Joe Pos needs to start the podcast back up so he and Mike can hash out Joe Paterno's lifetime point total.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I keep thinking the Tahani stuff is going to be worse. I was sure Michael was going to say she took out some people with her with that statue.

Yeah I was expecting her to pull the statue down, crushing her, and then have it pan out to show the entire Rock and Roll Hall of Fame en fuego and people screaming.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

General Dog posted:

Joe Pos needs to start the podcast back up so he and Mike can hash out Joe Paterno's lifetime point total.

That's far too meaningful for the PosCast, which by the way they're back to doing on a regular'ish basis. Last week they drafted their favorite autumn things.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The twist is earth was the real Bad Place.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

double nine posted:

Once we released several million balloons and killed two people.

Another time we set our river on fire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

I'm from Cleveland and a Cleveland joke never fails to get a laugh from me. The 30 Rock Cleveland episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Actual analysis time: Cleveland is like the perfect sad sack city specifically because it isn't actually that bad. It's pretty normal. It had some rough times but it's doing pretty well these days. It's like jokes about Detroit, but less dark because we know in real life it's just kind of a vaguely boring standard city.

QuoProQuid posted:

Another time we set our river on fire.

Yes, also we set our river on fire. More than once, believe it or not. But the famous time it happened was actually an inciting event in the founding of the EPA :eng101:

Also Great Lakes Brewery makes a Burning River Pale Ale that's pretty good

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Also Great Lakes Brewery makes a Burning River Pale Ale that's pretty good

Their Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my favorite beers ever

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm just never gonna dig these jokes designed for Easterners.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

double nine posted:

I've only been to Cleveland once, but my main memory of the place was how the entire city smelled like sewage.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was cool though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Every time I hear someone make a joke about Cleveland I automatically think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Still not Detroit!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfAHbZg_Az0

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cleveland is where Pittsburgh goes to die.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HA! Apparently Tahani's sister's name means 'perfect' in Arabic

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

raditts posted:

As if the fact that I've been posting here for 16 years wasn't proof enough.

Finally got to see the part that I missed, totally worth the wait. I wonder how far apart the four characters died time-wise? Tahani at least had to have died after Eleanor, since the one episode with Eleanor's flashback showed that magazine with her on the cover and didn't look like it was about her being dead.
Not necessarily, if they all died at the same moment. Also it would be a few days at least until there were dead trees reflecting her death. Are there magazines eulogizing Tom Petty yet?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm thinking Tahani's sister ended up in the Bad Place too, just the normal Bad Place with the water that turns to spiders in your mouth.

For as selfish and self absorbed as Tahani was, her sister seems to have been much worse really. Her sister was everything Tahani was but actually successfully the picture of perfection and much more conceited because of it. It'd actually be kind of fun to have Tahani meet her sister in the bad place at some point in the future when she's started to actually change and be torn between wanting to poo poo all over her sister and help her despite the past.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I was talking about my testicles.

Ernie. posted:

The train itself seems to be the standard way of moving between places in the afterlife, but I think the only reason the team can use it is because they have a good Janet to operate it for them.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ha. I could have sworn she said bitch. drat you brain!!

I had to rewind myself, because I thought she said 'bitch' at first too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The clown door with the music that separates Eleanor's bed room from the rest of the house is such a great joke. It was funny in season one and it was funny when they brought it back in this episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tsob posted:

For as selfish and self absorbed as Tahani was, her sister seems to have been much worse really. Her sister was everything Tahani was but actually successfully the picture of perfection and much more conceited because of it. It'd actually be kind of fun to have Tahani meet her sister in the bad place at some point in the future when she's started to actually change and be torn between wanting to poo poo all over her sister and help her despite the past.

I think there might be one way that Tahani's sister ends up in the good place, and ironically enough it's all because of Tahani. See, from what we've seen Tahani's sister was a horrible person in life, but then something happens to her: she watches her sister die. Not only that, but it could be argued that she was the cause of her sisters death and the last thing she ever said to her was "I don't think of you at all" and she had to live the rest of her life knowing that. That's the kind of thing that'll change a person.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

HA! Apparently Tahani's sister's name means 'perfect' in Arabic

No it means 'Beautiful lady' and their last name means 'the beautiful'.

The joke there I guess is that the family name only applies to one of the daughters' names further excluding tahani.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ernie. posted:

No it means 'Beautiful lady' and their last name means 'the beautiful'.

The joke there I guess is that the family name only applies to one of the daughters' names further excluding tahani.

I don't know what you are into, but it seems that it applies to her quite well.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I was talking about my testicles.

The train itself seems to be the standard way of moving between places in the afterlife, but I think the only reason the team can use it is because they have a good Janet to operate it for them.

Was there a reason they can't just make Janet take them to the good place instead of masturbation station?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Good Place will just throw them out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TwoPair posted:

Every time I hear someone make a joke about Cleveland I automatically think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cleveland has produced fine upstanding people like this American hero:

• Locked thread