Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Some would have you believe that Urth is teetering on the brink of destruction.

It’s true, the news passed on by weary but talkative travellers and traders do paint a grim picture of the world. To the south, for instance, lies the former empire of Caecras, brought low not long ago by an uprising of its orc slaves that snowballed into outright rebellion. Countless refugees have poured into the provinces surrounding Caecras since, and the stories they tell of the orcs’ brutality in dealing with all who formerly lorded over them does not bode well for any hopes that the reign of the new orc king, Drudge, will be a wise and peaceful one.

Danger lurks in the north as well. Beyond the mighty fortresses of the Crusader States, the hellish wasteland of the Desolation extends for miles and miles. It is home to many monstrous creatures, but the Men of Gog perhaps are the worst of all – the undead remnants of a great but cruel kingdom destroyed in ancient times, they harbour an undying hatred for the descendants of those who crushed their realm and vanquished the tyrant who led them. So far the crusaders’ indomitable keeps have stood up to their seemingly endless numbers, but if they were to fall…

Of course that’s hardly going to happen, as any person in their right mind will assure you. In Ravensfield, such tales are considered more exciting than troubling, prime fodder for an evening’s spirited discussion at the local pub or scaring small children with. It is a pleasant little village near the outskirts of the Mistwood, home to about a thousand souls and a number of unique mechanical contraptions designed by the eccentric but brilliant goblin inventor Espera Boltoff. These are for the most part a far cry from true clockworks, possessing only a dim spark of sentience, but they can act autonomously and carry out menial tasks with ease: digging graves, cutting down trees, and the like. A few are somewhat more advanced – the local library for instance, though owned by a living person, is run by a tiny automaton, whose severe manner and insistence on absolute quiet would surely put any living librarian’s to shame, and one lucky apiarist residing in Ravensfield was gifted a self-sustaining hive of mechanical bees by Espera Boltoff a few years ago; they produce Ravensfield “Old Meadow” honey, whose subtle and slightly smoky flavour makes it rather popular with connoisseurs of the sweet stuff.

All in all, however, Ravensfield is a quaint enough place, seemingly untouched by the dangers imperilling Urth. Its citizens fairly scoff at the notion that anything truly awful might ever happen there – which is why, when disaster does strike one fateful day, but a handful of intrepid souls rise to the occasion and embark on a path that will ultimately see them saving far more than just Ravensfield from certain ruin…

Hello! I am recruiting for a Shadow of the Demon Lord game. SotDL is a dark fantasy RPG tending toward outright horror at times – its world is gritty and violent, with the end extremely loving nigh as the malevolent influence of the eponymous Demon Lord slowly permeates the very fabric of reality. The advent of this cosmic force of death and annihilation is further hastened along by the machinations of unspeakable cults and the evil done by more or less ordinary folk as they prey upon their fellow man (or dwarf, or goblin, or…) It’s always two minutes to midnight on the doomsday clock in SotDL; if the characters are lucky they can delay the end of the world for a while, but outright averting it? That's a tough sell.

Such is the tone of the default setting, anyhow! It is at times a little too unapologetically grimdark in my opinion, and while I definitely do not intend for this game to be a laff riot I will also do my best to keep it from being too unrelentingly bleak and awful. The threat that drives this campaign will not be a world-endangering one, for starters, though if allowed to go unchecked it will still endanger the lives of a great many people. Heroics will definitely not be optional!

Mechanically SotDL is a simple affair, not at all difficult to get the hang of. Character creation and advancement both involve very manageable numbers of options, while skill tests (called “challenge rolls”) and attacks are resolved using d20 rolls that are circumstantially modified by d6 rolls known as boons and banes. Once the game is underway I’ll be sure to walk everybody through the system’s mechanics as they become relevant, though I am also happy to field any questions here and now as needed!

I will be using Orokos for die rolls. Players are encouraged to use it as well, because rolling your own dice (and therefore resolving your own turns under most circumstances) beats waiting for the GM to do so! One thing to keep in mind: when making a roll for this game, please be sure to enter OSSP in the “campaign” box so all rolls pertaining to the game can be tracked in one place on the site.

Now for the nitty-gritty on character creation!
  • Characters start at level 0. They are just average Joes and Janes who carry within themselves the potential to become something greater…if they survive the trials ahead.
  • Acceptable source material for character creation: the core rulebook and Demon Lord’s companion. There’s a fairly daunting amount of supplements and splatbooks for SotDL out there, and I haven’t availed myself of most of them. As I don’t have a great deal of experience with the system yet either, I think it is in everyone’s best interest to keep things relatively simple for the time being.
  • Your character might live in/near Ravensfield, or they might be a traveller passing through the town for one reason or another, or they might have another reason for being there still! A clockwork PC could also be one of the automata serving the settlement, “awakening” at the beginning of the adventure – these constructs generally are little more than witless machines at best, but notably kooky Espera Boltoff may well have left inactive thought-cores and sentience sub-routines in a few of them that might assert themselves at an auspicious moment…
Secondly, the crunch! This is a fairly simple affair in SotDL, especially at level 0.
  • The first and most important step is to pick an ancestry – your character’s race, in other words. It determines most of your starting abilities, attributes, characteristics, and languages. Beyond any bonuses or penalties imposed by your ancestry, you may also increase one attribute (Strength, Agility, Intellect, Will) by 1 if you lower another attribute by 1.
  • Next comes the fluff: your character’s age, background, personality, and so on, as detailed in the ancestry’s entry. Those elements are largely for flavour only and don’t necessarily have to be picked; everything relevant can be touched on in the character’s written backstory. I’m not expecting this to be novel-length (that would be rather hypocritical of me), but it should be enough to give me and everybody else an idea of who the character is and how he/she came to be that person.
    That said, a few of the background choices do provide mechanical benefits – some positive, some negative. Backgrounds may be chosen freely all the same; I only hope every single PC will not begin the game having come into money. :shobon:
  • Starting equipment and wealth are next. Roll 3d6, then consult pp. 25/26 of the core rules to determine how rich (or poor) you are and what gear you begin play with. You’re also free to roll for an Interesting Thing as laid out on pp. 26/27 – this is simply a flavourful item or personal trait that may or may not have an impact on the game at some point.
  • Your character has two professions to begin with (in addition to any granted by their ancestry/background), detailed on pp. 23–25 of the core rules. Professions are roughly the SotDL equivalent of skills; they grant no “hard” bonuses as a rule, but when you make a challenge roll to which a profession is relevant the GM can grant one or more boons or simply declare it an automatic success. Also note that a profession may be traded out to either speak a new language, or learn to read (and write) a language you already speak.
  • Optional: pick a story complication (found in Demon Lord’s Companion) for your character to suffer from, such as having been maimed or being haunted by a malicious spirit. This is a permanent affliction which generally makes your life harder but also grants a situational bonus. Think carefully before deciding to take a complication as you will be stuck with it for the foreseeable future.
  • That’s it! If your character survives to level 1 he/she/it will get to pick a novice path, which is more or less the equivalent of a basic class in most other RPGs, but for now the above is all you have to work with. Better make it count!
I think that should be all. If there are any questions, I’ll happily field them in this thread! Right now I have no definite closing date in mind for this recruit, but it will be open for at least one week.

Hoping to see a few applications in spite of how relatively obscure this system is!

pre:
Character              Ancestry                   Player                            Finished?
Neville                Halfling                   frankenfreak                      Yes
Daisy Digglebuck       Halfling                   big bag of nacho cheese
Spark                  Changeling                 quiggy
Scrap Heap             Clockwork                  Ryuujin                           Yes
Roe                    Orc                        PurplieNurplie                    Yes
Ash Rhodes             Human                      Treffies                          Yes
Beatrice               Human                      thatbastardken
Henry Shale            Dwarf                      children overboard
Ailean Tew             Faun                       Antilles                          Yes

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I will make something for this, especially now that the Roll20 campaign I was in is dead.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

I love some SotDL, so I'll definitely work on a guy for this.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Neville

Born into a long line of butchers in a town not too far from Sixton, he was the only child to his parents and expected to take over the family business. Before that, he was allowed to be a child, carefree and playful as the circumstances allowed, maybe a bit spoiled. His mother insisted he have this childhood extended as long as possible, even as it turned into "childhood" with "Crusaders and Heretics" being replaced "What's under your skirt?" as Neville's favorite game.

Eventually, after Neville's grandfather's death, his father got his wish that Neville learn the family business. While it was more of a unwelcome chore at first, he soon understood that the family had always been the only butchers in town and that had always made them fairly wealthy. He liked the idea of being wealthy. Soon enough he knew to discern pork and beef and even beef and veal, the different cuts, how to take a carcass apart and all the tools of the trade.

Once in a while, there would be a piece of meat on his butcher's table that he didn't recognize at all. His father only ever told him that it was "special meat" and he would learn where it comes from one day. Now Neville didn't suspect anything - his father was an upstanding citizen, piously attending services and giving generously - but he was curious. So he snuck after his father to find out what that meat was.

He ran away, from what he found, from home, from all of it. He knows the truth about his father and that crimes like this should be reported. On the other hand, wasn't he himself complicit by helping his father distributing the flesh? And why, oh why, would the almighty gods not punish someone who not only did things like that, but also pretends to be such a godly man?

There was little Neville could trust or believe in anymore. What he did learn soon enough on the road, that people always trust coin. For a while, he had enough to drown his guilt and the horror in wine. When his money ran low, he tried working for a local butcher, but that didn't go very well and Neville quit after two weeks.

He met a group of people who talked about a treasure in a cave in the Barrows and joined them. He had of course heard the stories about the dead walking there, but at this point in life, Neville didn't care - unless he found that treasure and got his share of it to fill his pockets, he might as well been dead. He learned that the dead are indeed walking in the Barrows, but that they can be outmaneuvered, especially if there's someone living who easily gets afraid. Still, they didn't find that treasure, but enough other junk that the survivors could sell to keep them afloat. Some of them mused about where they went wrong, where the treasure could really be, but Neville already had enough.

Moving on, he found a ship traveling upstream to Ravensfield from the Cold Lake, right through the Haunted Forest and the Mistwood. He didn't share the fright that crept through his travelling companions who seemed to be afraid of mist and sounds and saw fey in every shadow. Neville was still happy to arrive in Ravensfield, even further away from his past and another new future for him.

---

The terrible family secret has turned Neville into a disbeliever. He does not believe in the god or good and evil. He does not believe in the scary tales and hushed rumors. Even when he sees it - like with the undead in the Barrows - he doesn't lose his mind. His disbelief helps him being calm and fearless.

Neville is also aimless. He's lost his roots and purpose and floats along with the current. As long as there's coin in his pockets, he'll pay for the things that'll distract him from the haunting memories of his father's cellar. If there's not, he'll find something to fill them again.

Deep down he's hoping to find a place to hang his coat for good, a new place to settle down, but until then, he'll continue doing what he's doing and will tell off anyone who wants to tell him otherwise.

quote:

Neville
Level: 0
Ancestry: Halfling
Build: skinny, no matter how much he eats
Appearance: perfectly average and unremarkable
Background: Neville discovered a terrible secret. To keep his family safe, he decided to disappear.
Religion: doesn't believe the gods exist
Personality: Nevill does what he wants, when he wants. He won’t let anyone get in his way.

Attribute Scores: Strength 9, Agility 11, Intellect 10, Will 11
Perception 10, Defense 11, Health 9, Healing Rate 2
Size 1/2, Speed 8, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages: Common Tongue
Professions: Butcher, Spelunker

Good Fortune: Whenever a creature within short range rolls a 1 on any die, you can use a triggered action to discard the roll and let the creature roll the die again.
Uncommon Courage: When you become frightened, you can use a triggered action to make a Will challenge roll. On a success, you remove the affliction.

Wealth: getting by
Interesting Thing: one hundred feet of twine wrapped up in a ball
Equipment: a dagger, a staff, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, a torch, a pouch containing 5 cp
Age, Build, Appearance, Background, Religion, Personality: 3#3d6 10 8 10 1d20 2 2#3d6 13 8
Professions: 2#1d6 2 6 2#1d20 6 17
Wealth, Interesting Thing: 3d6 12 1d6 3 1d20 2
torches, cp: 1d3 1 1d6 5

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 6, 2017

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Aw, no chance of using the expanded ancestries supplements? They're bonkers detailed and flavorful, but IMO not particularly more powerful than the core method. Comparing the characters I've made with both the core method and the expanded method, the expanded usually starts with only one profession and a bit more gear, though there's always the chance for a major windfall/setback or strange event throwing a curveball.

In any case, I'd be happy to throw my name in the hat. A Faun, maybe? Will sit down and hash something out when I get back from work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm interested. Will try to sort setting out over the weekend

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010
I want in. I've only ran a one-shot of SotDL that went very well, and I've been itching to play more.

I'm thinking of playing bog standard human cause I'm boring, but we'll see what the tables give when I get home.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
On a general note, in case I've been unclear: it is not required to roll on the tables for your characters' age, personality, and whatnot. If you really want to I won't stop you, of course, but it is not compulsory in any way. The only elements you do need to roll for are wealth and the Interesting Thing, and even then I may well be accommodating if you get a result that absolutely doesn't suit what you had in mind for your character.

Antilles posted:

Aw, no chance of using the expanded ancestries supplements? They're bonkers detailed and flavorful, but IMO not particularly more powerful than the core method. Comparing the characters I've made with both the core method and the expanded method, the expanded usually starts with only one profession and a bit more gear, though there's always the chance for a major windfall/setback or strange event throwing a curveball.
I simply don't own any of those supplements at this time and would like to keep everyone on roughly the same page, is all. :)

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

On a general note, in case I've been unclear: it is not required to roll on the tables for your characters' age, personality, and whatnot.

Rolling on these things is the most fun part of SotDL chargen for me; coming in with a blank slate and seeing the character that emerges from the table is a good time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

big bag of nacho cheese posted:

Rolling on these things is the most fun part of SotDL chargen for me; coming in with a blank slate and seeing the character that emerges from the table is a good time.
Oh, definitely. I had no concrete idea beyond "let's do a halfling - that way i can decide between rogue and magician when the time comes". Now look at the gooddamn novel I wrote for a backstory based on four of those rolls. :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fine with me if people prefer to roll for that stuff. It's just not mandatory, in case anyone was under that impression!

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Daisy Digglebuck
Ancestry: Halfling
Build: Short for a Halfling.
Appearance: Attractive.
Background: An orc captured her and kept her as a prisoner for 6 years. The orc believed she was a lucky charm.
Religion: She has little use for the gods or religion.
Personality: She tries to do right by her friends, provided doing so doesn’t slow her down.

Attribute Scores: Strength 9, Agility 11, Intellect 10, Will 11
Perception 10, Defense 11, Health 9, Healing Rate 2
Size 1/2, Speed 8, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 3
Languages: Common Tongue, Dark Speech
Professions: Brigand, Drover
http://orokos.com/roll/555943 6 2, http://orokos.com/roll/555944: 1 8

Good Fortune: Whenever a creature within short range rolls a 1 on any die, you can use a triggered action to discard the roll and let the creature roll the die again.
Uncommon Courage: When you become frightened, you can use a triggered action to make a Will challenge roll. On a success, you remove the affliction.

Possessed: You have 3 Corruption. When you go mad, you
gain 1 Corruption. You then become compelled by the
demon instead of the normal effects of madness. At the
end of each round, roll a d6. On a 6, the madness ends.

Inner Darkness: You can speak the Dark Speech, and you
never gain Insanity from a demon’s horrifying trait. In
addition, each point of Corruption you gain during play
grants you 1 boon to attack rolls and challenge rolls until
you complete a rest.

Wealth: Getting by.
Interesting Thing: 6 + 6 Fear and Loathing.
Equipment: Dagger, a sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 3 torches, and a pouch containing 6 cp.

Fifth of eight Digglebuck children and no taller than the sheep she drove to market (or, as was often the case, was driven by), Daisy would have, if asked, indicated that she was comfortable with her life, if dissatisfied in a vague, indescribable sort of way. Ever the middle child, she was often overlooked (literally in many cases, due to her lack of stature), and forced to amuse herself by concocting increasingly outlandish and elaborate tales for attention.
Daisy could hardly be faulted.

The cure for her ennui, as it happened, came in the form of the roaming orcish outlaw Gullet, who fell upon the hapless drover on the market road, seizing her stock for his larder. What grim fate awaited Daisy then is a matter of idle speculation, for the tiny lass called upon every grain of halfling bullshittery cunning she could muster, convincing the superstitious orc that she was actually a fairy (specifically half piskie, half nixie, and half grig.) What followed, while initially captivity, quickly became what could be considered an apprenticeship; the orc refused to let his lucky fairy out of his sight, and Daisy soon became an observer and then participant in his highwayman's lifestyle. In helping the doughty but ponderous Gullet lighten the purses of travelers, Daisy found a zest in life she had previously lacked. By the time the opportunity for escape presented itself, the newly-fledged highwayhalfling no longer had any desire to do so.

Eventually, however, her career as a bandit would come to an end under a sinister pall. It wasn't Daisy's fault, of course; she'd told that wandering priest to cooperate! Nothing to be done for it if Gullet hit the man just a little too hard. Gullet was none too thrilled to have killed a priest however; fearing a death curse, he forced Daisy to help him bury the man with belongings intact, and to fabricate several death rites on the fly. She might have pocketed a trinket or two, but she needed something for the trouble, at least.

And when the dreams came in the middle of the night, all too-many-teeth and not-enough-eyes and laughter and bloody wind, and Daisy found herself standing over the body of her only friend, bloody knife in hand? Of course she ran. Of course she did her best to stuff her old life and habits in a sack and bundle it under a rock in the woods. Of course she batted her big green eyes, dusted off her best innocent halfling shtick, and made for the nearest town.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Do you know what it's like to be feared as a child? Feared for what you cannot control? It is not right that I was shunned from my home because of my nature, for I did not ask to be created by the faerie-folk. I was told to get out or I'd be killed, my body of bones and branches strung up above the village square as a warning to others like me. So I ran, and came here to Ravensfield, where no one knows what I truly am.

Of course if they ever learn the truth of who I am--or the truth about the demon's corruption already festering in my soul--I suspect a fate far worse than simple killing awaits me.

pre:
Name: Spark
Ancestry: Changeling
Apparent Ancestry: Human
Apparent Gender: Female
Build: Short
Appearance: Homely

Attributes: Strength 9, Agility 11, Intellect 10, Will 9
Perception: 11
Defense: 11
Health: 9
Healing Rate: 2
Size 1, Speed 10, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption (Possessed Complication): 1d3 3
Languages: Common, Dark Speech
Professions: Vagabond, Pickpocket
Changeling Quirk: 1d20 14 You give off an odd, earthy smell.

Immune to damage from disease, charmed, diseased
Iron Vulnerability: impaired when in contact with iron
Shadowsight: you see into areas obscured by shadow as if they were lit
Steal Identity:  You can use an action to alter your appearance to match
that of a target living creature you can see within short range. The target
must be Size 1 or 1/2 and have a humanoid shape of flesh and blood.
Your body changes so you look like the target, though your clothing and
possessions remain unchanged. The effect lasts until you use this talent
again. If you become incapacitated or touch an object made from iron,
you immediately revert to your normal appearance.

Complication: Possessed
Possessed: You have 1d3 Corruption. When you go mad, you
gain 1 Corruption. You then become compelled by the
demon instead of the normal effects of madness. At the
end of each round, roll a d6. On a 6, the madness ends.
Inner Darkness: You can speak the Dark Speech, and you
never gain Insanity from a demon’s horrifying trait. In
addition, each point of Corruption you gain during play
grants you 1 boon to attack rolls and challenge rolls until
you complete a rest. 

Wealth: 3d6 8
Poor You live in squalid conditions and you’re
never sure where you’re going to get your next
meal.

Equipment: sling with 20 stones, patched clothes, a sack, bread, waterskin, tinderbox, candle
Starting bits: 2d6 7
Interesting Thing: 2 -> 8: A snuffbox filled with snuff.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Scrap Heap

Espera Botloff was a genius inventor, a creator of automata and unusual contraptions. And sometimes the various inventions of Espera Boltoff broke down or were replaced by newer models. The old broken down automata and contraptions were dumped outside of Ravensfield in a rather large scrap heap. And occasionally residents of Ravensfield would paw through the heap looking for parts or other useful things. One day a few years ago a pair of locals were scavenging through the scrap heap when they come across what they thought was a massive automaton. It appeared to be in working order and in good condition, it was rather surprising that it had been abandoned in the scrap heap. They took it home, did a minor amount of repairs to take care of any dents or scuff marks, and turned its key. The automaton activated. But they could not seem to figure out what its purpose was. It was fairly fancy, but massive. They tested out a few things and took to calling the automaton Scrap Heap for where they found it.

Scrap Heap is a study in contrasts. And rather misnamed. A giant Clockwork standing at 10 feet tall and weighing in at 750 pounds. Yet with a refined appearance. Fairly strong even for Clockwork, it seemed like it may have been built for work, despite its appearance. The pair of locals that found it mistook it for simply another automaton, and for a number of years that seemed to be the case. Turning its key started the Clockwork up but there was no spark of sentience evident. Not yet. It inquired about Espera Boltoff, and then acted as any mere automaton might.

Scrap Heap was put to work, as a simple automaton, clearing fields, plowing, planting and harvesting. But Scrap Heap had no skill in these tasks, yes its size and strength gave it an advantage in these tasks but it did not seem to be built for these tasks. They then lent it out to others for other tasks. Forgework, shoeing horses, crafting pottery, and such. Again Scrap Heap's size and strength proved useful for some of these tasks, yet again it did not seemed to be built for any of these tasks. The pair was beginning to despair as to what Scrap Heap's purpose might actually be. Then one day they happened to have a game of cards going with some neighbors and Scrap Heap watched intently. Noticing this the pair dealt Scrap Heap in and was rather surprised at how skill it was at the game. Over the next few years they used Scrap Heap for entertainment, having it play against others for the amusement of young and old alike.

A few years more passed and Scrap Heap was tested on a few other tasks, but they never did find anything that seemed to be its purpose, the closest they had come was the gambling show they had it put on. And then the disaster struck. As panic settled in and heroes needed to come forth Scrap Heap awoke. Sentience filling his gears. Urgency riding upon his steam. He was no mere automata. He was a Clockwork. Danger was on the rise and Scrap Heap was thrust into the world to find his true purpose and his place in the world. And if the need should arise? Perhaps a little fisticuffs may be necessary.

pre:
Scrap Heap
Ancestry: Clockwork
Purpose: Built to work.
Form: You are a large humanoid clockwork. 
Appearance: You have a stylized and ornate body.
Background: Your soul was plucked from the Underworld before it could forget its former life.
Personality: You don’t know how you fit into this world, but you will spend your life trying to find out.

Attribute Scores: Strength 12, Agility 8, Intellect 9, Will 8
Perception 9, Defense 11, Health 12, Healing Rate 3
Size 2, Speed 6, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 2, Corruption 0
Languages: Common Tongue
Professions: Gambler, Soldier, Pickpocket

Immune: to damage from disease and poison; asleep, diseased, fatigued, poisoned.
Key:  I have a key somewhere on my body, on back between shoulder blades, that I cannot reach.  When the key is cranked
and turning I count as a creature.  When it stops, I become an object.  My key stops turning when I become incapacitated.
It also stops turning at the end of any round in which I got a total of 0 or lower on an attack roll or challenge roll.
While I am an object, I cannot use actions, move, talk, or perceive my surroundings.  Any creature that can reach me can 
use an action to wind up my key.  If I am not incapacitated, I become a creature once more.  If I am incapacitated, roll a
d6.  On a 3 or lower there is no effect.  On a 4 or higher I heal 1 damage and become a creature at the end of the round.
Although I am an object while incapacitated I am still subject to the rules for incapacitated creatures.
Mechanical Body:  I do not eat, drink or breathe.  I do not age and cannot be transformed into an undead creature.  My
mechanical body makes it impossible for me to swim, so I sink to the bottom when I am submerged in liquid.
Repairing Damage:  While a creature I heal damage as any other creature.  If I am an object a creature can use an action
to start repairing me with a tool kit.  The creature must work for at least 4 hours.  At the end of this time, it makes an 
Intellect challenge roll with 1 bane.  On a success I heal damage equal to my healing rate.

Wealth: getting by
Interesting Thing: glass globe filled with swirling mist. (attach it to the staff for the fancy cane)
Equipment: a dagger, a staff, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, a torch, a pouch containing 1 cp
Insanity: 1d6 2
Professions: 3#1d6 3 4 3 3#1d20 9 17 13
Wealth, Interesting Thing: 3d6 13 1d6 5 1d20 2
torches, cp: 1d3 1 1d6 1

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 9, 2017

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I'm glad someone's starting a recruit for this, wanted to give the system a go since it looks pretty interesting.

Character will be up here at some point.

EDIT: It's aliiiiiiive! Should be finished, as well.

Roe

Roe is not just my name; it's also a command, an implement.
Cast unto a duty that could be scarce believed in its cruelty, its degradation.
Row, they would command. Row. Row.

The whip that seared across my back, even as I obediently, mechanically obeyed.
The chains that weighed heavy upon every body, every heart that they were linked to.
The splinters, from the rotting wood of the ship's floors, its walls, its massive oars.

Sometimes, we would stop rowing. To eat. To go above deck, to stare at an endless, vast body of water.
Where were we? Where were we going? These questions were never asked, would never be answered.
Sometimes they would bring in others. Replacements. For those who could take it no longer.
I lost track of them all. Names. Faces. They meant nothing. All that mattered were your hands, your arms.

Did I live before this? Was I born on this ship, the sea my womb, the oars my work, the cruelty of fate my only knowledge?
Would I die, weary, troubled and alone, be cast back into the place of my birth, to join the briny corpses of countless others?

No, I would think. I lived. I live.

I had parents, I had a home.
There was more to this world than the pleasure of the master, the lurching of the ship on water, the salty torrents that flooded through the cracks, the leaks.

We were boarded.
The commands turned into desperate pleas.
Stop, they said, stop please.
They did not stop. We did not stop.
Casting off our chains, we killed as many as we could.

We were near land.
Gateway. An appropriate name.
I was a continent away from home.
It had been six years.
What happened to my parents? What happened to Alina?

I had nothing to my name. I was no one.
It did not matter.
I would return home.
And none would command me again.

pre:
Fluff:
Roe
Orc Ancestry
26 Years Old
Thin (for an orc), with A Somewhat Less Brutish Appearance
Fights to Liberate His People From Slavery
Getting By
Chained to the Oars in a Slave Ship for 6 Years

Mechanics:
Level 0
Primary Attributes -- STR 12, AGI 10, INT 9, WILL 8
Derived Attributes -- PER 10, DEF 10, Health 12, Healing Rate 3
Secondary Attributes -- Size 1, Speed 12, Power 0, Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 1
Languages and Professions -- Academic/Architecture, Wilderness/Prospector, Common + Dark Speech (Read/Write Common)
Shadowsight

Equipment/Inventory
Staff
Clothing
Backpack
Week's Rations
Waterskin
Tinderbox
Torch
A Pouch Containing 3 CP

Interesting Thing -- A Ring from Alina, Roe's childhood friend

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 6, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've added a list of submitted sheets to the OP. If everybody could let me know when they consider their submission finished I'd appreciate it!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Feeling a little self-conscious about my short backstory but mine's ready :v:

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010

I have lived in Ravensfield my entire life. I've never married, nor have I found the time to try, though a part of me blames my former illness.

When I was young, a wild rabid dog appeared in the field. Others fled. I did not. I've told my friends that it was my duty as a member of the town watch, but it was really just recklessness. Any of the Clockworks in the field were more than capable of dealing with the dog. Still, I beat the beast down, but not before he managed to get a good bite into my arm.

It was a death sentence. The town knew it. I knew it. For my own sake, and perhaps for the sake of others as well, I confined myself within our local chapel to await my end. I wish I could describe the next few months to you, but I feel I wouldn't do the experience justice. The priests tended to me as best they could. I can't recall if Ravensfield had an apothecary at that time, but I'm not sure it would have mattered. Unable to drink, unable to lie still, unable to mark the passing of time outside a single moment; I remember staring, half dazed, half shocked, at the statue of Astrid within the chapel. "Please," I recall whimpering "I have so much more to give."

I did not die from the dog's bite. The fevers subsided, and soon I could walk again. "What a miracle!" The priests said. "What a miracle!"

The years have gone by, again I am in the field, my pain forgotten. Though... I remember when I stared at Astrid, at our god, and begged. How she gave me mercy, she must have agreed, there is more that I have to give. But what is it? Is it just the fruits of my labor? Just my charity, keeping only what I need to see the next season? I live a happy life, blissful. I've heard of what happens outside Ravensfield, to the south. Some refugees have already arrived, and the tell stories that are almost too painful to hear.

Sometimes I feel the problems that plague the world are my calling to fix, the divine mission the New God has set before me. At the same time, I could never leave my home. They need me here, to work the fields, to teach, to give! What a selfish thought to hope the horrors of the world reach us here so that I may answer my call to adventure! Our peace is a most gracious reward for our work and piety!

Still... there's a part of me that wonders...

quote:

Fluff:
Ash Rhodes
Human Ancestry
Age 33
Average in height and weight
I caught and recovered from a terrible disease.
I help others because it is the right thing to do.
I belong to the Cult of the New God.

Mechanics:
Level 0
Primary Attributes -- STR 11, AGI 10, INT 10, WILL 10
Derived Attributes -- PER 10, DEF 10, Health 11, Healing Rate 3
Secondary Attributes -- Size 1, Speed 10, Power 0, Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages and Professions -- Common (Speak/Read/Write), Devotee, Militia Member, Farmer

Wealth +
Equipment/Inventory
Club
Basic Clothing
Backpack
Week of rations
Waterskin
Tinderbox
1 Torch
2 Copper Coins

Interesting Thing -- 13 A bag of 2 acorns. (Yay?)

Finished and Ready to go.

Treffies fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I simply don't own any of those supplements at this time and would like to keep everyone on roughly the same page, is all. :)

Alright, that's fair. Would you mind if, after rolling up a character using the base method for the game, I kept going using the supplement to create an example to show how they end up looking? To show off the value in those supplements?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

My parents sold me to the Faerie when I was 8 years old. More accurately, they sold my 'childhood' to them, and I guess I've fulfilled the terms of that contract because they let me leave a little while ago. I don't remember my parents very well, or what they got for selling me. I guess I hope it was worth it too them, because they'll never see me again. I came here to be sure of that. The Faerie didn't use me as a slave or in any strange rituals, they just...raised me and gave me an excellent education. The equal or superior, I'm told, of any Imperial university. Then they gave me this white lilac and sent me away. I'm not really sure what to with the rest of my life. I'm familiar with the histories of the Northern Reach, the Empire in all its various forms, even the ancient legends of the Faerie. I can draw up maps and boundaries, explain why land shapes the people who live in it, describe the nature of communities or opine on any natural phenomena. Of course, none of these skills are especially valuable here in Ravensfield. I get some work as a scribe, or translator on the very rare occasion someone has a document written in Elvish. It's quiet. Boring, really.

quote:

Name: Beatrice
Ancestry: Human
Height and Weight: Average
Appearance: Average
I was held prisoner by the Faerie for 9 years
I help others because it's the right thing to do
Religion: I belong to the cult of the New God
Interesting Thing: A flower that never withers.
Personality Traits: Honest but Vulgar
Complication: Cursed!

Primary Attributes: Strength 10, Agility 10, Intellect 11, Will 10
Derived Attributes: Perception 11, Defense 10, Health 10, Healing Rate 2, Size 1, Speed 10, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages: Common, Elvish (Read and Write)
Professions: Academic (History, Geography)
Wealth: Getting By
Equipment: dagger, a staff or club or sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 1d3 torches, and a pouch containing 6 cp.

Human Background: 1d20 7
Human Background: 1d20 9
Human Background: 5#3d6 13 13 6 11 11
Starting Wealth: 3d6 11: Getting By
Interesting Thing: 1d6 1
Interesting Thing: 1d20 6
Personality Traits: 2#1d20 13 20
Professions: 2#1d6 1 1
Professions: 2#1d20 8 6
Starting Money: 1d6 6

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 13, 2017

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Room for a dwarf? (he's small and doesn't eat much)

Henry Shale

Henry Shale stands hungry, poor, but proudly beholden to no one.
Today a travelling merchant and before that a tireless miner, his small clan had lived and toiled in the Iron Peaks for unknown centuries when a band of orcs invaded. They quickly overcame and murdered the proud warrior families that had kept the clan safe since the beginning of anyone's memory. The dwarf miners, the smiths and the mushroom tenders were kept alive to toil for the orcs, working under hideous conditions to produce ore to make the weapons to fuel some distant war the orcs were waging on the surface. For many years Shale would not see sunlight.

The dwarfs had always known not to dig "too deep," the older ones telling only the most vague bedtime tales as to why. The orcish slavemasters observed no such tradition, driving the dwarfs to pursue every vein of ore no matter the feeling of dread that would build as they drove their picks deeper into the Urth's innards. Shale was lucky he wasn't at the coalface the day they broke through to that ancient chamber. The dwarfs at the front of the line died quickly. Seeing the monstrous mass that was spilling out of the broken rock wall and rampaging down the tunnel towards him, suddenly the orcish slavemaster was no longer the scariest thing in Shale's life. The little dwarf lodged the tip of his pick deep in the orc's belly and opened his stinking middle, and ran for the surface.

He made good his escape on a mistreated donkey the orcs had been using to haul weapons to their frontline. He named her Sal, and they hauled rear end south along the water with never a thought of turning back. Many years later, and with Sal's muzzle greying and her step slowing just a little, the pair have never really settled down, and still make a yearly trip between Highstone and Westhold, eking out a living selling dwarven goods to the Crusader States. This year though, things were different. Scarce a few miles outside of Ravensfield, his wagon full of dwarfish craft weapons were seized by authorities, requisitioned under an emergency ruling to equip soldiers in the war against King Drudge. Furious, penniless, but always proud, Henry Shale and his best friend Sal have arrived in Ravensfield at a loose end and with little idea how to refill their cart with trade goods.

pre:
Name: Henry Shale
Ancestry: Dwarf
Build: He stands a bit shorter than other dwarfs. 
Appearance: He keeps his facial hair well groomed.

Attributes: Strength 10, Agility 9, Intellect 10, Will 10
Perception: 11
Defense: 9
Health: 14
Healing Rate: 3
Size 1/2, 
Speed 8
Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 5 , Corruption:
Languages: Common (spoken), Dwarfish (speak, read and write)
Professions: Common Profession: Miner, Merchant
Complication: Madness (quirk: Flashbacks)
Poor: He lives in squalid conditions and doesn't know where his next meal is coming from.
Dwarf Hatred: Orcs
Dwarf Background: Was taken prisoner by the creatures he hates, and lived as a slave.
Darksight
Robust Constitution: Half damage from poison. Boon to challenge rolls to avoid or remove the poisoned affliction.

Equipment: Staff, patched basic clothing, a sack, bread, a waterskin, a tinderbox, a candle, and a pouch containing 12 bits
Interesting Thing: table 6, #9: A wagon or cart pulled by a sad donkey

Rolled for Wealth (poor), Dwarf Hatred (Orc), Dwarf Background (slave to hated creature), Age (young adult), 
and Interesting Thing (a wagon or cart pulled by a sad donkey). Just picked appearance and build.

children overboard fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 12, 2017

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Ailean Tew
'Leggy'

Ailean was born to two fauns who had escaped a nearby elf kingdom together, and rather than return to civilized lands they decided to settle in a remote forest valley and raise a family. Although they raised him to be careful of elves and stick to the old ways, eventually curiosity got the better of him and he ventured into forbidden lands, and accidentally stumbled over and disturbed an elf gate. He managed to hide just before a group of elves came out of it, but was too afraid to warn his parents so eventually had to watch as they were captured and marched back into the elf kingdom, never to be seen again. He was old enough to survive in the wilds on his own, but eventually the loneliness drove him to venture out to the nearest town, which turned out to be one of the closest towns to Mistwood, Ravensfield.

The townsfolk mistook him for a beastman at first, and after beating him up they were about to put him to the torch when the local druid intervened and managed to convince people Ailean was no beastman. Realizing the young faun couldn't settle in town, the druid offered to make him his apprentice, which suited the townsfolk just fine since no one wanted to send their son or daughter off into the woods with the creepy and possibly deranged old man.

It's been over a decade, and while the druid is still along he's positively ancient at this point and likely won't live through another winter. The townspeople have mostly gotten used to Ailean, but few respect him and most call him 'Leggy' or some variation on it. Ailean's not happy about it, but it's an improvement over being burned alive so for now he ignores the insult. He has picked up a particular habit from the old druid, smoking a special blend of tobacco made from local leaf soaked in a particular blend of moonshine, herbs and mushrooms, then dried for a week. The result is a blend that is mildly halluciogenic and relaxing, which has after years of use become something of an addiction for the faun, though he hasn't had a chance to realize it yet.

pre:
STR 9, AGI 11, INT 11, WIL 10
DEF 11, HEA 9, HR 2
SIZE 1, SPEED 12, PWR 0
DAMAGE 0, INSANITY 0, CORRUPTION 0
Languages: Common Tongue[s], Elvish[s]
Quick Step: When you use an action, you can move 1 yard before or after the action, provided your Speed is greater than 0.
Shadowstep: Can see in areas obscured by shadows as if those areas were lit.
Skittish: Will challenge rolls gain 1 bane.
Complication: Additiction ('special' tobacco)

Faun Age: 15, Middle-aged adult, 36 to 55
Faun Build: 8, Slender and wiry
Faun Appearance: 11, Look like most fauns, small horns on brow, legs covered in fur down to cloven feet.
Faun Background: 13, Second or third generation faun, raised in remote part of the world, such as a deep forest or high mountain vale.
Faun Personality: 12, You survive by looking after yourself. You have a hard time trusting others or taking them at their word.

Professions: Wilderness: Hermit; Religious: Initiate of the Old Faith

Lifestyle: 10,  Getting By: Dagger, Sling w/ 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 2 torches, a pouch containing 4 cp

Interesting Thing: (6-6) A shameful past

Antilles fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

quiggy posted:

Feeling a little self-conscious about my short backstory but mine's ready :v:
It is a little on the short side perhaps. On the other hand, there's plenty of time left if you want to expand it a bit after all!

Antilles posted:

Alright, that's fair. Would you mind if, after rolling up a character using the base method for the game, I kept going using the supplement to create an example to show how they end up looking? To show off the value in those supplements?
Sure. I may take them into consideration if I ever happen to run another campaign. :)

children overboard posted:

Complication: ??? (don't have that book. Any suggestions?)
You could perhaps go for Mad, depending on how horrifying that subterranean monstrosity was…

quote:

A traumatic event left you unhinged. The GM gives you one quirk that reflects your unstable personality.

Mad Your Insanity total starts at a number equal to half your Will and can never go below this number.

Moment of Clarity When you make an attack roll or challenge roll, you can choose to make the roll with 1 boon. If you then fail, gain 1d3 Insanity.
As I said, though, complications are optional. Also remember that going mad has a 5% chance of killing your character outright!

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Sure. I may take them into consideration if I ever happen to run another campaign. :)

Alright, so my previous post has the core chargen result, this is using the "Between Two Worlds" supplement, using the rolls from the previous chargen where relevant:

pre:
Random attributes (basically reduce starting stats by 2 and roll 1d3 to determine stat, I got stupid lucky here) 3,3,3,2
STR 11, AGI 12, INT 12, WIL 9
PER 13, DEF 12, HEA 11, HR 2
SIZE 1, SPEED 12, PWR 0
DAMAGE 0, INSANITY 0, CORRUPTION 0
LANGUAGES: Common Tongue[s], Elvish[s]
Quick Step: When you use an action, you can move 1 yard before or after the action, provided your Speed is greater than 0.
Shadowstep: Can see in areas obscured by shadows as if those areas were lit.
Skittish: Will challenge rolls gain 1 bane.

Faun Birth Circumstances: 6, One parent human one parent faerie, decide which was which, no siblings (human dad, nymph mother)
Faun Family Circumstances: 14, Family lived comfortably, +1 childhood roll
Faun Familial Relationships (mom, dad): 9, 12, Neutral, Tolerance
Faun Family Fates (mom, dad): 12, 12, Alive, Alive
Faun Starting Age: 15, Middle-aged 36-55 yrs old, 4xlife experiences
Faun Build: 8, starting height 54 inches weight 110 pounds, thin build so reduce weight by 10 pounds
Faun Appearance: 11, more or less average for a faun
Faun Distinctive Features: 16, overlarge hooves
Faun Childhood: 11, Stayed with family but remained hidden until coming of age, gain random profession
4xFaun Life Experiences: 9, 9, 16, 13, worked at profession +1 starting lifestyle, worked at profession +1 starting lifestyle, major winfall, minor windfall
Faun Minor Windfall: 9, fell in love with a human or faun, relationship is ongoing
Faun Major Windfall: 1, befriended a leshy years ago, haven't seen it for some time
Faun Random Profession: 5, 4, Religious: Keeper of a shrine
Faun Starting Lifestyle: 10, +2, Getting by: basic clothing and a cloak, sling w/ 20 stones and basic weapon, backpack, week of rations, waterskin filled with water, coil of rope, tinderbox,  2 torches, a pouch containing 4 cp
Faun Personal Effect: 7, a pet squirrel named Sugarfoot
Faun Personality: 12, same as before
Faun Relationships: 14, you light up a room, people want to know you and befriend you
Faun Desires/Fears: 4,6, Wealth, Fairies
Faun Obligations: 7, you sometimes keep your word and break promises only when you have to
Faun Morality: 8, a harsh pragmatist, you always believe the ends justify the means
Faun Religions: 13, Have no religious beliefs
So, major differences between them is I got stupid lucky with the attribute rolls so effectively +1 to 3 stats, same equipment (well, plus a pet squirrel) and minus a profession.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I think my submission is finished. I thought about adding the Haunted complication, but am not really feeling it for this character after all.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well tried lengthening my background a bit, I believe I am finished.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

You could perhaps go for Mad, depending on how horrifying that subterranean monstrosity was…

Ooh....

MMAgCh posted:

Also remember that going mad has a 5% chance of killing your character outright!

:stonk:

Heck, let's do it. :getin:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MMAgCh posted:

It is a little on the short side perhaps. On the other hand, there's plenty of time left if you want to expand it a bit after all!

I may, but in truth I generally prefer to keep backstories light so that they can be filled in during play. We'll see if I find the energy to expand it :v:

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Alright, that's me done. Added a complication for addiction and did the +1/-1 attribute shuffle.

MMAgCh, do you have Forbidden Rules? Are ypu using Fortune or fortune points?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
:siren: Recruitment will close Sunday, October 15 at 11:59 pm EST or thereabouts! :siren:

Antilles posted:

Alright, so my previous post has the core chargen result, this is using the "Between Two Worlds" supplement, using the rolls from the previous chargen where relevant:

So, major differences between them is I got stupid lucky with the attribute rolls so effectively +1 to 3 stats, same equipment (well, plus a pet squirrel) and minus a profession.
Rolling for/randomising attributes is something I am not keen on generally, but it looks neat otherwise. Like I said, something to consider for a future game perhaps!

children overboard posted:

:stonk:

Heck, let's do it. :getin:
:cawg:

Oh yeah, the GM gets to assign Mad characters a Quirk! These are all detailed on pp. 201/202 of the core rules, so I shan't quote their effects here. I will let you pick one from the following three because I enjoy giving players enough rope to hang themselves with am a fundamentally nice person like that.
  • Flashbacks – self-explanatory, I think.
  • Nightmares – also self-explanatory.
  • Phobia (being/getting filthy) – because Henry has come to associate the dirt and grime of toiling in the mines with the nameless horror that was unleashed there, he now reacts rather irrationally to becoming less than squeaky clean for any reason.

Antilles posted:

MMAgCh, do you have Forbidden Rules? Are ypu using Fortune or fortune points?
I may use fortune points, actually.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

:cawg:

Flashbacks – self-explanatory, I think.

Let's go flashback!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey MMAgCh, what is Beatrice cursed not to do?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

thatbastardken posted:

Hey MMAgCh, what is Beatrice cursed not to do?
My apologies, I missed that you took the Cursed complication!

How about this, then: Beatrice cannot be friendly toward non-fey creatures. It is most likely a "gift" from the faerie who raised her – perhaps they wanted to ensure she would never feel quite at home amongst other mortals or perhaps it's simply a manifestation of their mercurial and unknowable ambitions; either way, she is stuck with it. This does not mean she has to be a jerk to people! Anything more than a business-like manner (slightly cordial at the very most) is likely to set off the curse, however.

How does that sound?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sounds good! A fit for a slightly aloof academic.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Recruitment is hereby closed! Now I shall spend a day or two deliberating and getting my ducks in a row.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

So, Demon Lord's Companion 2 dropped, and with it several new options. Most of it is stuff that is too late to do anything with for now (new ancestries) or stuff that won't come up for ages (new Paths, new magic Traditions) but there's a couple things that could be relevant.

The first is new Story Complications, I reckon these are sufficiently simple that if anyone feels one sounds right for their character adding them post-hoc shouldn't be too disruptive. The complications are Engraved (think protective tattoos), Hunted, Inbred, Trusted (look after an NPC), Rivalry (with another PC), Spellscarred and Splintered (multiple personalities).

The second is mostly for MMAgCh, group themes. Basically a thematic and mechanical representation of how the group formed/what their purpose is. There's 20 different themes, and they all come with some kind of benefit. F.ex. Bold Explorers gets a pool of pseudo-Fortune points that can boost exploration-related challenge rolls or to get rid of Fatigue, Cunning Merchants start with extra cash every adventure, and Noble Entourage has a minimum of comfortable lifestyle and +1 boon to social attacks against nobles/nobility.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Antilles posted:

So, Demon Lord's Companion 2 dropped, and with it several new options. Most of it is stuff that is too late to do anything with for now (new ancestries) or stuff that won't come up for ages (new Paths, new magic Traditions) but there's a couple things that could be relevant.
I may look into this at some point, but for the time being we're going to stick with the books listed in the OP.

Anyway, at long last: picks!

Ailean Tew, played by Antilles!
Ash Rhodes, played by Treffies!
Beatrice, played by thatbastardken!
Daisy Digglebuck, played by big bag of nacho cheese!
Henry Shale, played by children overboard!
Neville, played by frankenfreak!

Congratulations, probably! Now, apart from check-in posts, there are two things I need from y'all…

First is a colour to be used for your character token on combat maps. Black and red are reserved, but everything else should be fair game.

Secondly, we need to decide the whereabouts of each character in Ravensfield when the game begins. As a town with about one thousand inhabitants, Ravensfield is home to all the various establishments a population of that size demands, such as a modest church dedicated to the New God, a slightly off-centre marketplace, as well as two inns: the down-to-earth public house Brownie's Bottom and the noticeably classier Gerard's. There also are the city guard headquarters, dating back to the years when Ravensfield was very much a frontier settlement (and showing it), and numerous businesses of the sort you'd expect to see in a town with minor pretensions to urbanity at best. That said, the above is only a very small slice of the locales found in Ravensfield – if you'd like your character to be somewhere that hasn't been mentioned, just come up with a suitable place! I do reserve the right to veto anything I deem unsuitable, but it's really quite unlikely to be an issue.

There also is explicitly no requirement for every character to be in the same place. They probably shouldn't be, in fact; while the events that shall soon shake Ravensfield to its foundations will no doubt forge the PCs into what is commonly known as a party, right now they're simply a number of individuals going about their business. Which is not to say they cannot be acquainted with or known to each other, but that is no more a requirement than their being complete mutual strangers. I leave this up to each of you!

I think that's it for the time being. Now here's hoping my taking considerably longer than "a day or two" to make picks didn't cause half of you to lose interest. :ohdear:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Checking in! Beatrice can use green as her map colour.

Currently Beatrice shares a 3 room cottage with the junior of the two local priests of the New God - the cottage is across the market place from the church, and the kitchen area doubles as her workspace when she has a client. As the game opens she is in the church archive doing genealogical research for a local lawyer hoping to determine which of two farming families has the better claim to a disputed patch of land.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 23, 2017

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Check, please! I'm thinking Ailean should have a grey token, to represent the frequent haze of tobacco smoke he's in. As for location, I imagine he lives with his druid mentor out by the border between the town and the forest, but when the game begins he could be in town on a supply run, probably in the local general goods store picking up some odds and ends (but primarily tobacco).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Awright! Let's make Henry blue... and as for a location, he'll be at the markets, scrutinizing the stock and seeking to strike a bargain with a merchant to replace his seized shipment.

• Locked thread