Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.geekbench.com/doc/geekbench4-cpu-workloads.pdf

The AES workload in Geekbench 4 encrypts a 32MB string using AES running in CTR mode with a 256-bit key. Geekbench will use AES instructions when available, and fall back to software implementations otherwise.

CTR mode being the only test is a bit questionable in my opinion, CBC/GCM give the best representative sample from normal workloads. I suspect the changes that were made to the IPC architecture on the latest Intel chips make a performance for massively threaded modes like CTR but regular uses cases are probably about the same or a bit faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I just wonder how many 8700Ks are going to end up dead when the retail binnings can't hit 5.0 like the samples given out. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SoftNum posted:

I just wonder how many 8700Ks are going to end up dead when the retail binnings can't hit 5.0 like the samples given out. :v:
and the reason they'll end up dead is because of the TIM and not delidding to replace it with a better application or something better

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

Any recent Coffee Lake review that was not using fast RAM for the Ryzens is doing those chips a huge disservice. Which is probably what those sites are incentivized to do anyhow.

Ars is recycling their earlier review benchmarks for this review, which were run with ram at 3000MHz.

Ars is really not worth reading for hard tech these days (if ever?).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Would be interesting to find out whether the supposedly improved TIM of CFL found its way onto newly manufactured SKL-X.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Would be interesting to find out whether the supposedly improved TIM of CFL found its way onto newly manufactured SKL-X.

Or Intel could, I dunno, use solder on $1000+ CPUs. A thought.

EDIT: r/AyyyMD has taken over AMD marketing, send help. https://twitter.com/AMD_UK

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 6, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SoftNum posted:

Unless Intel binned the entire initial allotment of retail chips they should be hitting 5GHz pretty easily with sufficient cooling like a 240mm AIO. I'm also seeing a lot of reports of chips hitting 5.1 and 5.2.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Unless Intel binned the entire initial allotment of retail chips they should be hitting 5GHz pretty easily with sufficient cooling like a 240mm AIO. I'm also seeing a lot of reports of chips hitting 5.1 and 5.2.

We heard about great over clocking with Devil’s Canyon too prior to mass availability so I’ll (happily) believe it when I see it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FaustianQ posted:

Or Intel could, I dunno, use solder on $1000+ CPUs. A thought.
Yeah sure, but it'll be a cold day in hell before Intel significantly changes the manufacturing process for an existing product. Changing the TIM is no effort for some additional free performance without causing longevity problems (hopefully).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The only way to get intel to stop using that lovely TIM is to see someone else, like amd, crush Intel in competition. And the only remaining way for Intel to be competitive has to be to stop using that lovely TIM they've used for a decade+

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is all just nerd fodder. Most people are not buying a $1000 cpu. Most people are not overclocking at all. I have a 7700k and probably will never delid because why the hell risk it. It works well enough. Nothing is going to perform that much better with extra overclock. Granted it is a dumb decision at this point.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

redeyes posted:

Most people are not overclocking at all.

Literally every 8700K is at 5.2 at this second haven't you been reading the thread/news? :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hell of looking forward to Ryzen Espresso Edition that's just a single zen core boosting to 6 GHz.

(someone would buy it I'm sure)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I still don't understand why they don't offer a 'overclocker's edition' that has the old school shim+bare die.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I still don't understand why they don't offer a 'overclocker's edition' that has the old school shim+bare die.

I feel like this is more or less the reason. For every 1 person who knows wtf they're doing, there's 5 who are going to rip the pins out of their processor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bobfather posted:

"Assuming you don’t have a huge overclock" when every review site out there is squarely focused on the 8700k at > 4.8ghz.

At > 4.8ghz it pulls almost as much juice as the 1920x. You know, the processor with 12c/24t?

GamersNexus does have some good power measurement benches, I like their tests because they specifically focus CPU draw and not total system, and actually list the voltages on all the OC benches they include.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-3

(And yea, for stuff like Firestrike, the OCed 8700k pulls the same power as a stock 1920x )

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Der 8auer just announced an aftermarket "Ultra Edition" of the i7-8700K with a 99.9% silver IHS and liquid metal TIM.

https://videocardz.com/73268/intel-core-i7-8700k-ultra-edition-with-silver-ihs-teased

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 7, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing that disturbs me is that two reviews have done streaming testing, and in both of them Intel smacked 8 core Ryzen around in terms of what the viewer sees. This seems like the one test where more cores would equal better. GamersNexus configures OBS like neither Steve or anyone else there has streamed to Twitch before, but TechReport tested with settings much closer to something a streamer would use bitrate-wise and won huge.

Then again, in the comments it was mentioned that most any "modern" i7 (and who knows if my Ivy counts as that anymore) shouldn't have a problem running a game and streaming at veryfast profile, which was why they were looking at medium.

I just want to stop using GPU encoding.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

The thing that disturbs me is that two reviews have done streaming testing, and in both of them Intel smacked 8 core Ryzen around in terms of what the viewer sees. This seems like the one test where more cores would equal better. GamersNexus configures OBS like neither Steve or anyone else there has streamed to Twitch before, but TechReport tested with settings much closer to something a streamer would use bitrate-wise and won huge.

Then again, in the comments it was mentioned that most any "modern" i7 (and who knows if my Ivy counts as that anymore) shouldn't have a problem running a game and streaming at veryfast profile, which was why they were looking at medium.

Erm, bolded should read "and Ryzen won huge", right?

What's your GPU? AMD's VCE is very poor and earlier generations of NVENC are not great either. There is a noticeable improvement in Maxwell and Pascal's NVENC quality at low bitrates.

It's kind of a fact of life that video encoding at the same time you're playing is going to destroy your framerate. The best way to solve this problem is a separate box to do the encoding, if you don't do that then it's all just a question of output quality vs how bad your framerate is trashed. Ryzen may let you get a bit farther into output quality but your framerate will still suffer just as badly as on Intel.

(reminder: x264+x265 trunk builds have had AVX2 and AVX512 support for 6+ months now, but Handbrake is using an ancient x264+x265 build that doesn't support AVX512. No idea what OBS is using.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Erm, bolded should read "and Ryzen won huge", right?
No, I meant to say Intel won still.

quote:

What's your GPU? AMD's VCE is very poor and earlier generations of NVENC are not great either. There is a noticeable improvement in Maxwell and Pascal's NVENC quality at low bitrates.
You know me from the GPU thread. I'm the fool that bought a 1070 over a 1080 at equal prices because of noise. :) I have actually not streamed anything for a long time, but I bought Ivy i7 over i5 in 2013 to focus on streaming. Unfortunately, I'm not charismatic and streaming is a total money sink for me with less than five simultaneous viewers forever, so I'm definitely aiming lower here.

I like having a Hackintosh, but if AMD can make something good enough I'll gladly give it up. I am waiting until at least Raven Ridge minimum though, since I can spend a month between GPUs and have no fallback card.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 7, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

(reminder: x264 understands AVX2 and AVX512, but Handbrake is using an ancient build that doesn't support x264. No idea what OBS is using.)

Yeah, there's a reason I noticed surprisingly higher performance when I started compiling Handbrake and dependencies from source to add libfdk_aac in again and using modern cpu features.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

No, I meant to say Intel won still.

You know me from the GPU thread. I'm the fool that bought a 1070 over a 1080 at equal prices because of noise. :) I have actually not streamed anything for a long time, but I bought Ivy i7 over i5 in 2013 to focus on streaming.

Of course I know you ;) but, I don't remember that incident. I assume that I said this already but you should have bought the faster card and underclocked it to get the TDP down, an underclocked 1080 could have hit 1070 performance at 120W TDP or less. Less TDP = slower fan speeds = less noise ;) But whatever, nbd, get what you want - it's your system.

What I will add re: your previous statements: people tend to underestimate the amount of stuff that AVX can be used for, and video encoding is one of them. Despite a lot of poo poo-talk about how Ryzen is revolutionary for mega-taskers and streaming, Intel processors are a lot better at AVX. AMD runs AVX2 at half-rate, and this is one of the things that leads to huge disparities since every reviewer insists on using Prime95 (an AVX synthetic) to bench power consumption (then proceeds to totally ignore efficiency/throughput entirely and just focus on raw power consumption).

While rendering x264/x265, a 5820K has close to twice the AVX throughput of a 1600X at equal clocks. I won't say that means twice the render framerate but the difference isn't trivial either.

quote:

Unfortunately, I'm not charismatic and streaming is a total money sink for me with less than five simultaneous viewers forever

Welcome to the 99%. Nobody watches my streams either buddy :glomp:

Like I said, if you have the money - overbuild your fileserver and encode video on it. That's the only "free" way out of the situation here. Everything else is going to have at least some impact on your framerate, and if nobody watches it anyway...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 7, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, I'll keep an eye out for what AMD does next, but at least if I throw the money at 8700 non-K next year I know I'm not compromising on anything.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've found out recently that you can buy shims for modern Intel processors on Alibaba and I'm seriously resisting grabbing one and trying bare die for the novelty.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

BurritoJustice posted:

I've found out recently that you can buy shims for modern Intel processors on Alibaba and I'm seriously resisting grabbing one and trying bare die for the novelty.

What's the thermal conductivity coefficient of Chinesium?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kerbtree posted:

What's the thermal conductivity coefficient of Chinesium?

If it's a shim, why would that matter?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Depends. What does a shim-user *want* the shim to be made out of?

eames
May 9, 2009

Be aware that you'll have to modify your cooler quite a bit if you want to run direct Die cooling with a shim. The part of the socket that houses the lever will be higher than the Die itself so the base plate of the cooler will interfere.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Really hoping noctua or someone release an air cooler compatible with direct die cooling now.

Perhaps they will for cflake.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Sandy Bridge and beyond stream fine. Pre-sandy bridge steamed poorly even when they were the only thing out. It was a big reason I upgraded in the first place.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

eames posted:

Be aware that you'll have to modify your cooler quite a bit if you want to run direct Die cooling with a shim. The part of the socket that houses the lever will be higher than the Die itself so the base plate of the cooler will interfere.

The one I am looking at is a total replacement for the socket retention bracket.

It used to be a MSI thing but once they stopped including them the OEM continued selling them under their own banner (here). There are two different ones for 3-5 series and 6-8 series because of the substrate changes.

I'm using a EK Supremacy waterblock so all I'd need is the replacement screws that go lower (Naked Ivy) and a local computer place has em for six bucks.

eames
May 9, 2009

quote:

The one I am looking at is a total replacement for the socket retention bracket.

It used to be a MSI thing but once they stopped including them the OEM continued selling them under their own banner (here). There are two different ones for 3-5 series and 6-8 series because of the substrate changes.

I’m using a EK Supremacy waterblock so all I’d need is the replacement screws that go lower (Naked Ivy) and a local computer place has em for six bucks.
Very interesting solution, I'd love to see some before/after temperatures for it. One review says the plastic bits in the socket corners are still higher than the Die but I guess you could shave those off.
e: removed quote mangled by the awful.app parser

eames fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I havent done bare die since an Applebred 1.6ghz Duron :v: But i'm intrigued. Some people seem to say it does wonders, other say basically no benefit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm using a EK Supremacy waterblock so all I'd need is the replacement screws that go lower (Naked Ivy) and a local computer place has em for six bucks.

Wonder if that would work as is with an nhd 14 / skylake.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

I havent done bare die since an Applebred 1.6ghz Duron :v: But i'm intrigued. Some people seem to say it does wonders, other say basically no benefit.

No benefit relative to.... replacing the TIM with liquid metal? I mean sure, sounds reasonable, but some people just prefer not to deal with having an IHS anymore after popping it off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eames posted:

e: removed quote mangled by the awful.app parser

iOS 11 smart quote nonsense, but update has been submitted I believe.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-1700X-Processor-YD170XBCAEWOF/dp/B06X3W9NGG/
Ryzen 7 1700X is now $300 instead of $400

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Guy who works at ASUS on BIOS's says the following at Overlock http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/28240#post_26391661

quote:

AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it.

Which will probably be the main difference (besides maybe thunderbolt and USB-C) between X370/B350/A320 and X470/B450/A420, the 400 series will have all this baked in once on the shelves, while if you already have a 300 series you'll need to update the BIOS. I assume if 300 series boards continue to be sold they'll get updates to support the later chips as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It drives me insane that USB flashback isn't on every board nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

another one of those 8-core R5-1600 popped up on /r/amd. I still hope that this becomes the unofficial response to CFL-S. :v:

https://imgur.com/a/wtBEU
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/76gp6e/got_one_of_the_1600s_with_all_their_cores/