Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
The new market inefficiency is short second baseman named Jose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Getting shut down by Trevor Bauer is not a good bet for the Yankees postseason hopes

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A-Rod is confident that the Yankees can find a way past Corey Krubler

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Getting shut down by Trevor Bauer is not a good bet for the Yankees postseason hopes

Bauer has been pretty good in the second half, and he shut down the Yankees pretty hard the last two times they faced each other. I never thought this was gonna be the cakewalk people were making it out to be.

Also jeez he was on tonight.

Bigger problem is Gray's newfound penchant for walking everybody.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inspector_666 posted:

Bauer has been pretty good in the second half, and he shut down the Yankees pretty hard the last two times they faced each other. I never thought this was gonna be the cakewalk people were making it out to be.

Also jeez he was on tonight.

Bigger problem is Gray's newfound penchant for walking everybody.

Gray's walk rate actually up by nearly a batter once he got traded. Obviously, it's a small sample size, but I think getting to know a new catching system makes that kind of adjustment hard. I wonder if this is true of elite command pitchers that get traded at midseason broadly.

specific to Gray, he went nine days between starts when he got dealt, then pitched on a week's rest. It wasn't until August 10th that he was back on a regular pitching schedule. so while it's probably small sample noise, there's a definite chance that Gray's timing has been thrown out of whack due to the trade (he only walked fewer than two batters in two of his 11 starts, compared to six such starts in the 16 he made for Oakland)

tl;dr: Gray's command is probably a blip on the radar, but there are factors that could contribute to his command getting a touch sloppier

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yankees lost, Red Sox lost. Today was a good day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

tl;dr: Gray's command is probably a blip on the radar, but there are factors that could contribute to his command getting a touch sloppier

Oh, I'm not worried long term, but he's walked more guys than he has innings pitched the last couple of starts, and it's a bad time for that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I, too, can sympathize with my team having traded for a supposedly dominant pitcher who can't stop loving walking people since being traded.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Dear Houston Astros,

Is it cool having Jose Altuve on your team? It seems like it would be cool to have him on your team.

Having Altuve is wonderful, especially for the paltry $4.5m, $6m and $6.5m he made this year and will be making over the next two. Unfortunately he hired Boras so... :ohdear:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

Having Altuve is wonderful, especially for the paltry $4.5m, $6m and $6.5m he made this year and will be making over the next two. Unfortunately he hired Boras so... :ohdear:

Do pinstripes make you look taller

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lackey, Wilson, Martín on the playoff roster for the Cubs. No Rondon, Uehara, Grimm.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Poque posted:

Lackey, Wilson, Martín on the playoff roster for the Cubs. No Rondon, Uehara, Grimm.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I would substitute Rondon for Wilson in a heartbeat, even bad Rondon. The others all feel fair, honestly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm guessing Rondon is still hurt. No clue though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Leave Justin Wilson off the roster even if we only take 24 guys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wilson is the Daniel Murphy stopper.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only time I want to see Justin Wilson is if the Cubs are down 10 runs and we need a corpse on the mound.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Jose Altuve outscored the Red Sox 3-2. I love that tiny baseball man.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: gently caress the Cubs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

The only time I want to see Justin Wilson is if the Cubs are down 10 runs and we need a corpse on the mound.

I'm hoping that's why Lackey is on the roster.

iospace posted:

Fair

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It could be a :siren: MATCHUPS :siren: thing and Joe wanted to have more lefties in the pen against the Nats.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how is it possible that two pitchers allowed more home runs than john lackey this season and one of them is the reigning AL Cy Young winner

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

iospace posted:

There are some pretty attractive players on the team :wink:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm glad the Cubs are wasting an entire postseason roster slot for a matchup vs Daniel Murphy which is going to go nowhere because Wilson will inevitably walk him on four pitches.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:siren: PEDRO BAEZ HAS MADE THE DODGERS NLDS ROSTER :siren:

He is going to relieve Kershaw at some point and allow inherited runners to score.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Indians are a scary loving team. Now the Yankees need to beat Kluber twice unless they can win 3 in a row.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

He is going to relieve Kershaw at some point and allow inherited runners to score.

All Dodger games are automatically figured to last one hour longer to account for this roster revelation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

This was less than a month ago:

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/907516439027884032

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

iospace posted:

Hotter take: gently caress YOU. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nail Rat posted:

The Indians are a scary loving team. Now the Yankees need to beat Kluber twice unless they can win 3 in a row.

If by some chance there's a WS rematch it's going to be even tougher. That team is amazing.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

It just wouldn't be the playoffs without Pedro Baez coming into drop anchor in the late innings and grind the game to a halt.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the indians seem like a really good and fun team but I just can't. The Indians. Chief Wahoo. Can't do it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pedro Baez has done more to harm the sport of baseball than any steroid and MLB should ban him indefinitely.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sydin posted:

I'm glad the Cubs are wasting an entire postseason roster slot for a matchup vs Daniel Murphy which is going to go nowhere because Wilson will inevitably walk him on four pitches.

Meh, any other pitcher they could use is hurt, and if they reaaaally want pitching then there really is no other option.

I don't expect to see Wilson unless it's dire, and the series is an L anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Pedro Baez has done more to harm the sport of baseball than any steroid and MLB should ban him indefinitely.
:agreed:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Change the name Cleveland so I can root for the team. Cuyahoga River Fires. There got it done for you, don't even have to pay me.

Should be a good couple of days where the evil east coast empires of $$$, the Red Sox and Yankees, crumble and my precious plucky small market team, the Cubs, advance to the series. AS IS RIGHT

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

Meh, any other pitcher they could use is hurt, and if they reaaaally want pitching then there really is no other option.

I don't expect to see Wilson unless it's dire, and the series is an L anyway.

Rondon is perfectly healthy again and has been lights out in September. He would be a phenomenally better addition than Wilson, but Daniel Murphy is 0-6 with 3Ks lifetime vs Wilson and I have to imagine that's the only reason he made the roster instead. Either that or it's too embarrassing for the front office to leave a key trade deadline piece they parted with Candelario for off the postseason roster.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lotta questionable choice on the Dodgers roster IMO

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Lotta questionable choice on the Dodgers roster IMO

Agreed. Who tf thinks putting Clayton Kershaw into a postseason game is a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am fine with Wilson over Rondon since Rondon sucks and there is a tiny chance Wilson will be good again.

Not sure on the Game 1 lineup though. Did they ever play this lineup in the regular season? I know it's a "look how smart I am :smug:" lineup from Joe and hopefully it doesn't crash and burn. If you're not playing Heyward in RF where he is most valuable, why play him at all? His bat isn't that good.

• Locked thread