Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

taxxe:

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Not rushed at all. :)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EightAce posted:

Citizen con IS going to be loving hilarious if what I've just seen is actually going to happen.

:jackbud:

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

I'm quite sure that I killed 5 of this thing in Skyrim

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

zero people have messaged me about playing it. usually when something this big happens i get a ton of crazy chatter

and it's like radio loving silence

dunno if Derek has some peeps that are playing n stuff right now, I have no idea

My plan would've been to say it's released, yet not actually release it. Since avocado is segregated, and NDA restricted, nobody could say any different.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180188846?t=01h16m19s

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

Not rushed at all. :)

Is that a perfectly symmetrical mountain range?

Nice procgen you have there croberts, very lifelike.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

XK posted:

My plan would've been to say it's released, yet not actually release it. Since avocado is segregated, and NDA restricted, nobody could say any different.

The avocados all chat with each other, there's channels specifically for them in Spectrum. The NDA is pretty much "don't talk to non-avocados", it's not like they can't talk to the other 11 people in-game when they log in

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
Nothing screams fidelity like a seam on a moon.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

We all called it down here.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"Perfect symmetry with procgen is totally possible, but on the very first day? Whew...."

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

darkarchon posted:

that's no moon

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Gears of War and Forza are approaching 90 GB.

Fallout 4 is 86 GB if you install the high res texture pack.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
Id love to know what kind of terrain generation Cig is using. It looks like it's just a couple of pre-made hight maps that are tiled and then layerd over each other with different weights depending on the location on the planet. Why would they do that? There's so many algorithms out there that could produce better results even with just in time generation.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:gary:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

his nibs posted:

that's no moon

Sandworm buried skeleton?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

chochmah posted:

Id love to know what kind of terrain generation Cig is using. It looks like it's just a couple of pre-made hight maps that are tiled and then layerd over each other with different weights depending on the location on the planet. Why would they do that? There's so many algorithms out there that could produce better results even with just in time generation.

That's exactly what they do. They call it "handcrafted Procgen". The advantage is a reduction in asset size, because you don't have to save the final mesh, but only the brush and the path/strength where it was used, and then calculate the resulting terrain clientside and either cache it (which then takes up the size you saved earlier) or actually spawn the mesh everytime the game loads. It's like photoshop not saving a rasterized image, but the brushes you used and every single action you did to reconstruct the final image. In regard to complex 3d meshes, it actually ain't that stupid, but of course it won't save you from the problem that you actually have to create each and every planet/moon by hand instead of feeding a seed into an algorithm that is good enough to create interesting planets on it's own, like NMS or Elite does.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

darkarchon posted:

If you look at it long enough, you can see so many recurring patterns, it's just sad actually :/ Like it was done in one day or something like that.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
General consensus is :piss:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's artistic you ungrateful fucks.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

tuo posted:

If you look at it long enough, you can see so many recurring patterns, it's just sad actually :/ Like it was done in one day or something like that.

HANDCRAFTED!!!! FOR OVER TWO YEARS NOW BY 300 PEOPLE. Are you saying Croberts would submit his homework assignment half-assed by doing it the night before?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rad Russian posted:

HANDCRAFTED!!!! FOR OVER TWO YEARS NOW BY 300 PEOPLE. Are you saying Croberts would submit his homework assignment half-assed by doing it the night before?

This chat interface here is poo poo. (I totally should have prepared and played this game once or twice...)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chochmah posted:

Id love to know what kind of terrain generation Cig is using. It looks like it's just a couple of pre-made hight maps that are tiled and then layerd over each other with different weights depending on the location on the planet. Why would they do that?

It's what their level of competence allows.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's autistic you ungrateful fucks.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Do we have any idea how owned we are yet? The suspense is killing me.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

tuo posted:

that is some iranian military propaganda level of clone brush incompetence

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

darkarchon posted:

I like the moon's six-pack abs.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

General consensus is :piss:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I like how they put exactly the same hill next to each other four times, just differently sized and rotated (sometimes not even that). Like, you know, you could only see that from far away....like...in a space game

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

you can fit 500 skyrims between the cracks of that moons rippling muscles

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So this early alpha patch for an alpha 3.0 version is lovely? Say it ain't so.

How's the patcher? Did they botch that too?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AbstractNapper posted:

It's made by Turbulent, so it's functional, but also just an existing package with a custom wrapper.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MilesK posted:

I like the moon's six-pack abs.
moon turned me gay, thanks chris roberts

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

There needs to be a patch first, 3.0 featured a new exe that downloaded everything I believe.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I wonder what a rumpologist would say about this moon.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

player count reduced to 6 for "testing purposes". goddamn...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

I wonder what a rumpologist would say about this moon.

"I wasn't gay before, but I'd like to be the man in THAT moon."

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
When do the dreams begin.

Derek, sweet warlord, where art thou?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Thirsty Dog posted:

Mirificus just spams the thread with huge screenshots of Reddit conversations featuring absolute no-marks, regardless of what the thread is currently talking about, then does the same whenever anyone in that Reddit thread actually replies.

He must have thousands of posts like this, it's bizarre and obsessive and unhealthy. He doesn't actually engage in conversation in this thread, he just furiously archives Reddit and occasionally other sites. It's as weird as /r/ds itself.