Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

signings for next year looking solid

and apparently we are swapping Trent Hodkinson for a current English Rep Forward, not sure who

I suppose beggars can't be choosers but that sponsor's logo really clashes with the jersey. Also Guerra and Lillyman suck but overall Newcastle have recruited pretty well. A lot will depend on Brock Lamb's development but I see a big improvement there for 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I disagree that Guerra sucks

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bowmore posted:

I disagree, Guerra sucks

fixed for my opinion

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are rude

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Me? Rude?

I take offence at that.

Now let me get back to writing next year's OP and working out how many times I can slip the word oval office into the Storm and Roosters' sections.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:lol: fair enough

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Mata'utia & Fitzgibbon are better players already with heaps of improvement to come, Guerra is completely unneccessary.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Mata'utia & Fitzgibbon are better players already with heaps of improvement to come, Guerra is completely unneccessary.
I don't disagree, I think Guerra will in at lock with Barnett moving to the middle

We have Buhrer to put somewhere as well...

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

Me? Rude?

I take offence at that.

Now let me get back to writing next year's OP and working out how many times I can slip the word oval office into the Storm section.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

iajanus posted:

Me? Rude?

I take offence at that.

Now let me get back to writing next year's OP and working out how many times I can slip the word oval office into the Storm and Roosters' sections.

Those are good teams filled with good lads unlike the lousy raiders, tigers, warriors and knights who are shameful disappointments like a 35 year old failson who just cant hold down a job

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Id rather an exciting world cup with good teams and close games, instead of the 90 point floggings handed out in say the rugby world cup where more stringent eligibility rules are enforced.

Plus its Rugby League. Its always been about style over substance to get the punters in. That is why it is popular. The violence, sexual and animal abuse is just a bonus.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Guerra and Lillyman are definitely past it but they add a lot of big game experience to a team lacking it completely, and are great pickups for the Knights imo

Even if Guerra comes off the bench as a ball playing lock to spell Barnett he will be valuable

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

cpaf posted:

Guerra and Lillyman are definitely past it but they add a lot of big game experience to a team lacking it completely, and are great pickups for the Knights imo

Even if Guerra comes off the bench as a ball playing lock to spell Barnett he will be valuable

Nah they both suck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

Thanks for being supportive <3

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
LEEDS RHINOS BITCHES

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We signed another old bull

He should be good to help the young guns that are up and coming

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

So after three years of getting the spoon with a very young team, Newcastle is bravely seeing if they can get a fourth spoon with an old and washed up team. An exciting strategy.

(actually I kind of like the way the recruitment is going and think they'll be around 11-12th next year but I kind of need someone to be lower than us on the ladder and NK are the easiest targets)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MiniSune posted:

Id rather an exciting world cup with good teams and close games, instead of the 90 point floggings handed out in say the rugby world cup where more stringent eligibility rules are enforced.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so offended that some players are choosing to play for minnow island teams over Aus/NZ.

Spoiler: the grand final will be Aus v NZ regardless.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, I don't get why people are so offended that some players are choosing to play for minnow island teams over Aus/NZ.

occasionally NZ poo poo the bed against England

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Fanatic posted:

In NZ I don't get the feeling anyone is particularly upset by Taumalolo's choice in itself, how and when it was done and (not) communicated to the Kiwis is really poor though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure how I feel with Heighington going to the Knights for a year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Not sure how I feel with Heighington going to the Knights for a year.
I feel ok about it

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Our squad is pretty thin. In addition to Taumalolo, Fusitua and Taukeiaho probably would have made the squad. Foran and Tohu Harris are out injured and Bromwich and Proctor are suspended for partying too hard after the Anzac test. We'd be doing well to make the final.

Smorgasbord posted:

In NZ I don't get the feeling anyone is particularly upset by Taumalolo's choice in itself, how and when it was done and (not) communicated to the Kiwis is really poor though.

Yeah. The two responses I'm seeing are "yay Tonga" and "gently caress Kidwell".

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

this isn't that occasion

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Aus v England final. I'd be pretty fucken astonished if Aus lose a single match.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've got tickets to the semi and final in Brisbane and I'd be pretty surprised not to see two Australian victories. Only way I can imagine it not happening is if Australia play in the other semi final.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

ili posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Aus v England final. I'd be pretty fucken astonished if Aus lose a single match.

Every time England RL is in something Tri-nations or World Cup I predict they will do surprisingly well.

Every time they are poo poo.

Therefore they will be poo poo and barely win their games, maybe even a shock loss, before losing to NZ or Aus.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't think the power/tier dynamic will deviate from the expected, and I don't think Samoa/Tonga will really accomplish anything outside of potentially humiliating NZ, but the minnow games are imo going to be much, much more interesting and of higher quality this year.

I also think Italy are going to be a bit of a dark horse

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I have access to free tickets for Aus v Lebanon and England v Lebanon but I don't know if I can be bothered watching 50-0 drubbings. I went to Aus v Fiji with free tickets the last time around and it was a bit sad.

Although it was funny seeing the whole stadium cheer when Fiji finally scored their one try though when there was hardly a murmur when Aus scored any of their dozen lol.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

cpaf posted:

I don't think the power/tier dynamic will deviate from the expected, and I don't think Samoa/Tonga will really accomplish anything outside of potentially humiliating NZ, but the minnow games are imo going to be much, much more interesting and of higher quality this year.

I also think Italy are going to be a bit of a dark horse

I'll just be happy if Tonga progress further than New Zealand, so that the NZRL gets rid of David Kidwell.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Fanatic posted:

I have access to free tickets for Aus v Lebanon and England v Lebanon but I don't know if I can be bothered watching 50-0 drubbings. I went to Aus v Fiji with free tickets the last time around and it was a bit sad.

Although it was funny seeing the whole stadium cheer when Fiji finally scored their one try though when there was hardly a murmur when Aus scored any of their dozen lol.

The games should be less one-sided now with the changes in eligibility rules, Lebanon actually have one of the best spines in the world (lol) now with Farah/Moses/Lichaa and might actually make a showing against England.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Losing to Lebanon is going to both be hilarious and suck.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

jesus loving christ the draw that has been released

the first 5 weeks for the tigers are

Roosters (ANZ)
Storm (AAMI)
Broncos (Campbelltown)
Eels (ANZ)
Storm (Mt Smart)

What fresh hell is this? 0/5 to start

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Traditional off season glimmer of hope dead already.

Reminder that 7 has the world cup rights. If you head to nine then you will find nothing.

Also thoughts on the worst football show basically being cut? Good to see the unfunniest man in League Tee Hee Vautin being sacked, only 20 years too late.

The tears also about Molan being the sole survivor are glorious on FB as well. Its always a female conspiracy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Tigers, Warriors and Knights have been given the toughest draws in 2018, while Easts after signing possibly the best fullback in the NRL have been
given a rainbow kiss on the bum in regards to how easy their draw is - as reported by fox sports.

Figures, we can't win.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

The Tigers, Warriors and Knights have been given the toughest draws in 2018, while Easts after signing possibly the best fullback in the NRL have been
given a rainbow kiss on the bum in regards to how easy their draw is - as reported by fox sports.

Figures, we can't win.

"Over the entire season the Storm only play four games against 2017 top-four teams."

Hmm... we play 5 in the first 5 weeks. Seems pretty fair.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The Warriors have a tough draw too, but gently caress it. They could be given the privilege of fielding 39 players on the pitch, and still fail to even make the play-offs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The Warriors have a tough draw too, but gently caress it. They could be given the privilege of fielding 39 players on the pitch, and still fail to even make the play-offs.

They would manage to bomb every try with an obstruction.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Traditional off season glimmer of hope dead already.

Reminder that 7 has the world cup rights. If you head to nine then you will find nothing.

Also thoughts on the worst football show basically being cut? Good to see the unfunniest man in League Tee Hee Vautin being sacked, only 20 years too late.

The tears also about Molan being the sole survivor are glorious on FB as well. Its always a female conspiracy.

Vautin is poo poo but Molan is even worse. Footy show was garbage but we all know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm fine with the footy show being axed, that show has been limping for years

• Locked thread