Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also I don't think "fuk that poo poo dog I'm out" is particularly stereotypical cockney.

It's rhyming slang for 'care for a snog and ol' in and out?'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Does England have Walgreens?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Does England have Walgreens?
Walgreens purchased(more or less) Boots Pharmacy, so yes

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

Walgreens purchased(more or less) Boots Pharmacy, so yes

They're an alliance, whatever the gently caress that means. Walgreens is a client of mine and their contract has "Walgreens/Boots Alliance" all over it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

They're an alliance, whatever the gently caress that means. Walgreens is a client of mine and their contract has "Walgreens/Boots Alliance" all over it.
i'm guessing it's because they bought all the stock but not the company outright, though that seems to me to merely be financial semantics

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

There are no Walgreens in Britain.

They're are about 3 Boots stores on every city centre high street.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thrifting Day! posted:

There are no Walgreens in Britain.

They're are about 3 Boots stores on every city centre high street.

Yeah that's definitely the Walgreens model

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's clearly not British. Dude made up a story in which a scary racist stereotype of a black man attempted to mug him and was scared off by his pretend space wars knife.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Because he can take it, because he's not a hero. He's asilent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

An interesting effect occurs when you re-read that and replace "gun" with "katana" or some weeaboo sword.

Same world, different nerds I guess.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's clearly not British. Dude made up a story in which a scary racist stereotype of a black man attempted to mug him and was scared off by his pretend space wars knife.

Which no one comments on or is threatened by while he shops in public places.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Thank Christ somebody is brave enough to start a fire fight at Walmart, the murder capital of the world.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

These are always the kind of people I worry about, the wannabe heroes just itching for a black guy criminal to start something so they can 'protect the families' of everyone around them. Get your own family killed by escalating into a gunfight you lunatic, leave me and everyone else out of it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I know someone who carries a gun. He's licensed and an extremely responsible gun owner. He did actually chase down a criminal once (once). He didn't pull his gun because he wasn't planning on shooting anyone. You don't pull your gun unless you plan to pull the trigger.
I saw him take off and saw him when he got back. He held the guy until the police arrived which wasn't long since they'd already been called and this was 30 years ago.

Nobody got shot. Because shooting someone is traumatic and a last resort not something you look forward to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Thank Christ somebody is brave enough to start a fire fight at Walmart, the murder capital of the world.

Doesn't someone usually end up shot on Black Friday because :911:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Danaru posted:

Get your own family killed by escalating into a gunfight you lunatic, leave me and everyone else out of it.

Statistically, that's more likely to happen.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"guns get a lot of bad reputation in this country" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:smith:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Aleph Null posted:

I know someone who carries a gun. He's licensed and an extremely responsible gun owner. He did actually chase down a criminal once (once). He didn't pull his gun because he wasn't planning on shooting anyone. You don't pull your gun unless you plan to pull the trigger.
I saw him take off and saw him when he got back. He held the guy until the police arrived which wasn't long since they'd already been called and this was 30 years ago.

Nobody got shot. Because shooting someone is traumatic and a last resort not something you look forward to.

I carry a gun but I just use it for ballast to even out my hip

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Don't forget the 2014 Las Vegas shooting where the couple shot two cops in a pizza place, draped them with the teabagger flag and went on to shoot up a Wal-Mart. One True Murcan was carrying and told someone "I'll put a stop to this" and went off to hunt the shooter. Got popped right on the noodle by the wife of the pair.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MrUnderbridge posted:

Don't forget the 2014 Las Vegas shooting where the couple shot two cops in a pizza place, draped them with the teabagger flag and went on to shoot up a Wal-Mart. One True Murcan was carrying and told someone "I'll put a stop to this" and went off to hunt the shooter. Got popped right on the noodle by the wife of the pair.

“Yeah, but he didn’t know how to use a gun. I’d never let that happen to me.” It’s like how everyone thinks they’re an above average driver, so they take unnecessary risks because they’re sure they can handle it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Aleph Null posted:

You mean shooting people doesn't work like my video games? :ohdear:

That's what scares me about the people who think they'd get to play hero in a shooting. You're a dumb panicky animal like the rest of us, and you're risking someone else assuming you're one of the bad guys trying to kill everyone. There's also the risk of killing an innocent person by accident, because it's hard to figure out what's going on and who the enemy is when everyone's panicking. It's not a fantasy world where you're perfectly level headed and the shooter is indicated with a big red arrow.

And in smaller scale stuff, escalation is bad. You don't want to make it into a gun fight unless you have literally no other choice. But tell that to these hero-wannabes and they'll think you're just a coward.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Imagine this scenario: a gun fight starts in Walmart between some dastardly criminals and heroic open carriers.

When the cops show up how do they decide which are the bad guys?

starkebn has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

starkebn posted:

Imagine this scenario: a gun fight starts in Walmart between some dastardly criminals and heroic open carriers.

When the cops show up how do they decide which are the bad guys?

I, uh, think we all know the answer to this question.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clearly the group stopping the other group.

Haven't you been paying attention?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Maybe we can just gather all the gun-havers together at a big convention. Eventually one will spook and start blasting, setting off a chain reaction until they're all shooting each other until only one man is left standing.

That man will have all the guns and he will be our new king.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I can believe this happened, but not the way the authour thinks it did.

Kid notices gun, tells parent.
Parent thinks "Oh poo poo, it's a crazy, don't say anything that will get them worked up" just says something to get the kid to be quiet.
Gunhaver thinks how heroic they are.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Do people honestly think it's helping to make these 'letters'

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Well at least they chose the most racist font, that's realistic

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe we can just gather all the gun-havers together at a big convention. Eventually one will spook and start blasting, setting off a chain reaction until they're all shooting each other until only one man is left standing.

That man will have all the guns and he will be our new king.

I only know of one shooting injury at a gun show. It was someone intentionally trying to make gun shows seem dangerous, so he brought a live shotgun shell, slipped it into a gun on display, and "accidentally" fired it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olive! posted:

I come from the whitest family (well, mongol) in the whitest neighbourhood in the whitest loving nation in the world and that is so gosh darn racist I can't even begin to read it as a sincere letter.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

There is no way that sort of racist would be so self-aware.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized it has to be a stdh.txt or a trump.tweet. No other possibibbilities.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I like the "MORTAGE" part. They were so close. I'm imagining two hicks drafting the letter as a team.

Hick #1 gets to that bit and types "MORGAGE" only to receive a sharp smack to the back of the head from hick #2.

"Dammit, Chip! Dontcha know nothin'? Thar's s'posed t'be a TEE in that word."

"Yer so smart, Jim-Bob. I ain't never been good with letters."

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Daycare doesn't pay anyone's mortgage, it drains the parents' finances and puts pennies in the pockets of the people actually watching the children

I guess the owner of the daycare, what with being able to charge a gently caress ton of money to watch other people's kids, might see the most benefit

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

life is killing me posted:

Daycare doesn't pay anyone's mortgage, it drains the parents' finances and puts pennies in the pockets of the people actually watching the children

I guess the owner of the daycare, what with being able to charge a gently caress ton of money to watch other people's kids, might see the most benefit

Yes, the benefit of paying their mortgage

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

life is killing me posted:

The daycare I used to work for was church ran and it saw insane benefits like being able to recarpet the sanctuary, get a fancy sign out front that does graphics and animations and lights up, and stuff the treasury.

Us employees made minimum wage and were told there was no money for supplies so we had to get everything ourselves.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

Just so you're aware, this was found out to be real.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/10/06/racist-daycare-letter/

quote:

Although it is not uncommon for nasty letters and other controversies to be faked by social media users for attention or viral fame, this appears to be genuine; we reached out to the daycare center, who confirmed that they received the letter, but they don’t know who sent it or why. Sarah Wojcik, a reporter for local news outlet The Morning Call, told us that that police are aware of the letter: 

Whitehall police Chief Michael Marks said he has never seen a letter so offensive in his 20 years in police work.

“It’s disturbing. This is not something you want to see in your community,” Marks said. “This is something we as a police department are going to take very seriously.”

Marks said such a letter could carry harassment and ethnic intimidation charges, though he conceded locating the sender is tricky. He said there’s been no similar incidents reported in the township.

The day care already has security measures in place for the safety of its children, but McKelley said staff is on added alert. 

Yeah, people are poo poo.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

And in smaller scale stuff, escalation is bad. You don't want to make it into a gun fight unless you have literally no other choice. But tell that to these hero-wannabes and they'll think you're just a coward.

Hmm, what does this situation need? I know - MORE GUNS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kill all Nazis.