Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Compatible only with its X299 motherboards." :jerkbag:

(though the comments seem to suggest it works on X399 Threadripper boards as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It probably just requires a slot that can bifurcate to x4x4x4x4, ones from AsRock and Supermicro will do that (among others). It just isn't that common on asus consumer mobos.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Compatible only with its X299 motherboards." :jerkbag:

(though the comments seem to suggest it works on X399 Threadripper boards as well)

If you're gonna pony up for 4 NVME SSDs, you better have an ASUS x299 MB.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Just got some SSDs in today. For myself, a 1TB WD Blue with the newer 3D flash in m.2 format. For my girlfriend, a 512GB WD Black to replace an ancient 128GB 830 Evo as her boot device.

I've still got an open m.2 slot on my board that is keyed for the full x4 unlike the slot that the Blue filled, but I'm probably going to wait until an nvme 1TB comes down closer to the $300 mark, whenever that may be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

Just got some SSDs in today. For myself, a 1TB WD Blue with the newer 3D flash in m.2 format. For my girlfriend, a 512GB WD Black to replace an ancient 128GB 830 Evo as her boot device.

I've still got an open m.2 slot on my board that is keyed for the full x4 unlike the slot that the Blue filled, but I'm probably going to wait until an nvme 1TB comes down closer to the $300 mark, whenever that may be.

Microcenter had the 960 EVO 1TB for $339 less than a week ago - everyone bought them out in less than 48 hours.

They've got it SKUed back up for $469, making me wonder if it was a price mistake.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
anyone have any experience setting up Intel Smart Response Technology to cache a hard drive? I'd like to set up the following storage setup based on me having salvaged an extra SSD (the Samsung):

• Windows OS drive with some programs (120GB Samsung 850 Evo)
  • Documents, bulky programs, and games, with a 64GB SRT cache partition (240GB Intel 530)
  • Bulk file storage, cached with SRT (4TB HGST Deskstar NAS)

I have an Asus Maximus VII Gene and will be running Windows 10 and Ubuntu; Ubuntu lives on its own SSD.

Will this work? How do I go about doing it? Will I need to reinstall Windows?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just got a SSD for my computer. I also realized I have no idea how they work or how to set it up. Like all I thought was to plug it into the slot of my Desktop that it fit into, but I have no idea if that did anything.

So felt this was the best place to ask for help.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just got a SSD for my computer. I also realized I have no idea how they work or how to set it up. Like all I thought was to plug it into the slot of my Desktop that it fit into, but I have no idea if that did anything.

So felt this was the best place to ask for help.

Most makers provide a cloning software (if they didn't there's always Macrium Reflect), but if your HDD is larger/fuller than the SSD you'll want to put Windows on, you're usually better off loading Windows fresh onto the SSD.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most makers provide a cloning software (if they didn't there's always Macrium Reflect), but if your HDD is larger/fuller than the SSD you'll want to put Windows on, you're usually better off loading Windows fresh onto the SSD.

Yeah but I am utterly inept how do I even do this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but I am utterly inept how do I even do this.

First, which SSD did you buy, which capacity did you buy it in, and how much is on your boot/C: drive now.

After that, the way it works is that you plug the drive into a free port and get it its own power lead, initialize it, and then use the maker-sponsored cloning tool or Macrium Reflect to clone over the contents of your boot drive (if they'd fit) to the SSD. Then you just disconnect the HDD and boot as normal, being awed by the speed at which your computer now does so.

If your boot drive is too large to clone to the SSD, you download ProduKey to get the CD-Keys of all your Microsoft software, back up all your documents and important stuff to a thumb drive, and load a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD, then Office, then everything else, and eventually you use your old HDD for bulk storage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

First, which SSD did you buy, which capacity did you buy it in, and how much is on your boot/C: drive now.

After that, the way it works is that you plug the drive into a free port and get it its own power lead, initialize it, and then use the maker-sponsored cloning tool or Macrium Reflect to clone over the contents of your boot drive (if they'd fit) to the SSD. Then you just disconnect the HDD and boot as normal, being awed by the speed at which your computer now does so.

If your boot drive is too large to clone to the SSD, you download ProduKey to get the CD-Keys of all your Microsoft software, back up all your documents and important stuff to a thumb drive, and load a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD, then Office, then everything else, and eventually you use your old HDD for bulk storage.

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive it was called, So 1 Terabyte Capacity. 97.3 Gigs in use on /C

Anyway not sure how I initialize it. Or make sure it's getting power.

Like I plugged it into the area I think it's supposed to be in. And there were plugs comming out of it.

Edit:But were those plugs plugged in. I should check.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 7, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive it was called, So 1 Terabyte Capacity. 97.3 Gigs in use on /C

Anyway not sure how I initialize it. Or make sure it's getting power.

Even most OEM PCs (like a Dell, HP, etc.) have a spare SATA power lead hanging idle in the case - the drive itself might or might not have come with an SATA cable.

This is what the end of an SATA power lead looks like:

And this is what an SATA data cable looks like, and what it plugs into on the motherboard:

Both cables only fit into drives one way, so there's no risk of getting them backwards.

(yours might be vertical - ports are ports are ports, but you're going to want to make sure you're plugging it into an SATA III port, which means perhaps finding your computer's manual or checking the motherboard diagram somewhere)

Typically the cloning software (whether it's the version the maker gave you or Macrium Reflect) has the ability to initialize the drive for you during the cloning process. The way *that* goes is that you select your current HDD as the source disk, and the newly-initialized SSD as the *target* disk, and do a 1:1 clone over. Since you'll only be using ~10% of the drive this should take very little time. Once the process is done, shut down the PC and just disconnect the SATA power lead to your old HDD - the reason you want to do this is so you ensure Windows boots off the new SSD and doesn't get confused when it sees two identical Master Boot Records. Once you know for sure everything is working correctly, you can reconnect the old HDD and format it, giving it a new drive letter and using it as bulk storage.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 7, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like everything is hooked in properly. Just going to get the cloning tool ready. And copy it to the SSD.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 7, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

It looks like everything is hooked in properly.

Toshiba uses a software called NTI to clone: http://www.nticorp.com/en/us/store/...3ToshibaSpecial

Macrium Reflect will work as well. The thing to keep in mind here is that there is no way to gently caress this up. Even if the cloning doesn't work, you can always just disconnect the SSD's power lead and boot off the HDD as normal. No data is erased, only cloned/copied.

And no, you'll want the cloning tool loaded onto the HDD. The HDD is the source disk, and when the SSD is initialized, it'll delete all the data on that disk to get it ready to receive the data.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thanks.

The fact the SSD was hot when I opened up my computer makes me assume that power was running thorugh it when the computer was on previously.

Anyway you have been a big help will report if I need help still.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
K NTI does not appear to be working for me so going to try Reflect.

NTi is detecting the SSD so I now know for sure it's plugged in properly. The issue is that NTI refuses to clone stuff there. Asking me to select a path in the folder tree when there is none.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

K NTI does not appear to be working for me so going to try Reflect.

NTi is detecting the SSD so I now know for sure it's plugged in properly. The issue is that NTI refuses to clone stuff there. Asking me to select a path in the folder tree when there is none.

Well, NTI says it works with Toshiba SSDs, but there's a chance that might be *old* Toshiba SSDs. Macrium is a "one size fits all" app - and remember, you're not doing anything that can't be redone without any damage. Worse comes to worse, you just disconnect the SSD and boot off the HDD you know works perfectly well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
K it's cloning.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Macrium Reflect didn't work for me for ?reasons?. It cloned but didn't boot giving me the Bootmgr error because Windows don't like moving disks.

If you have a Samsung their utility has like 3 buttons to push and off to the races you go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
K it all worked. But now my computer feels slow. I did not unplug HDD just changed the boot order in Bios so I think I will do that instead.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

K it all worked. But now my computer feels slow. I did not unplug HDD just changed the boot order in Bios so I think I will do that instead.

You can "Unplug" the HDD logically, no need to open the case.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oohhboy posted:

You can "Unplug" the HDD logically, no need to open the case.

How is that done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also for some reason it says the OS is the same size despite the SSD being much bigger.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

How is that done.

In the

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/bios-setting-disable-sata-70772.html

Here you go. Even if you don't set the new startup disk it should search for the next boot disk down the list assuming there isn't another two Windows as that juts confuses windows from my experience because Bootmgr is dumb.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is this stuff the way it should be with the cloning. (I have no idea what the Red Area is but it's part of the D Drive which does not matter right now. I think.)

I am unsure of how to use the grey 800 gigs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

When did you buy this? I didn’t know Toshiba still made hybrid disks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When did you buy this? I didn’t know Toshiba still made hybrid disks.

Monday.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am unsure of how to use the grey 800 gigs.

Probably you can extend the C drive in disk manager (control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk manager) or just make a new partition to use that gray area.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Volguus posted:

Probably you can extend the C drive in disk manager (control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk manager) or just make a new partition to use that gray area.

Thanks that worked.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh wait, it's a *hybrid* disk? Yeah, that's not an SSD. It's a slow HDD with a big cache.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh wait, it's a *hybrid* disk? Yeah, that's not an SSD. It's a slow HDD with a big cache.

That would explain why I got it cheap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guess once I get an actual SSD at least I know what to do now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the recommendation on external drives? I want to get one for travelling to backup photos. Looking at 128 or 250 Gb most likely and will buy a Orico USB3 case or something for it to go in.

Unless an off the shelf option is actually better?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What is the recommendation on external drives? I want to get one for travelling to backup photos. Looking at 128 or 250 Gb most likely and will buy a Orico USB3 case or something for it to go in.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147642
Review of the above: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-portable-ssd-t5

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-500-240gb-external-usb-3-0-portable-ssd-black/4290140.p?skuId=4290140

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 8, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red_Fred posted:

I have two 500gb ssd’s In Orico usb 3 cases, they’re great and we’re way cheaper than off the shelf.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I do my own enclosure, can I encrypt the drive? That would be handy I guess.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I remembered I had a spare 40gb SSD 330 lying around. now my computer has four SSDs and three of them are nestled in a snake nest of power cabling underneath the mobo.

successfully switched poo poo over from AHCI to RAID, got Windows to boot, may have nuked my Linux install, and set up SRT caching on the 40gb drive for the hard drive. it may be faster but i have no way of really telling

edit:

quote:

Cache sizing is not based on any hard and fast rule but a reasonable first estimate on the size of cache is 4x the amount of memory in the system.

I have 32 gigabytes of RAM and a 40GB cache SSD :shepface:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 8, 2017

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Is anyone still doing writeups on SSD tech like Anand used to when he was still running the site? He was fantastic at explaining the technology used in SSDs, and 90% of what I know about their workings come from these, but I just realized it's been several years now and I don't know how/if the technology has changed since. Most writeups you can find now go oversimplified (each cell is like a bucket of water!) or super technical into the physics behind it all, I miss the intermediary explanations like he was so good at giving:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/2
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

If I do my own enclosure, can I encrypt the drive? That would be handy I guess.

Bitlocker (Windows) will allow you to encrypt removable drives with a simple password scheme. It's pretty handy, because if your machine is secure/encrypted, you can save the password so that you don't have to enter it when you insert that drive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is anyone still doing writeups on SSD tech like Anand used to when he was still running the site? He was fantastic at explaining the technology used in SSDs, and 90% of what I know about their workings come from these, but I just realized it's been several years now and I don't know how/if the technology has changed since. Most writeups you can find now go oversimplified (each cell is like a bucket of water!) or super technical into the physics behind it all, I miss the intermediary explanations like he was so good at giving:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/2
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand

Ara Technica has been my go to site for this stuff for years. ymmv of course.